PS1 keeps going to the Memory Card/CD Player screen.

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Note
Next-Gen

Re: PS1 keeps going to the Memory Card/CD Player screen.

Post by Note »

VG_Addict wrote:I got an original Xbox and found out that you need to remove the clock capacitor, and I got a gray PS1 with a dying laser.

Is this something you have to deal with for old consoles, or do I just have bad luck?

If you can, I'd suggest only buying older consoles from game stores that repair and test all their systems before putting them out for sale. Will give you some peace of mind when buying older electronics.
VG_Addict
16-bit

Post by VG_Addict »

I have trouble getting past the black PS logo screen.

What do I do?
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Take it back to the game store and either swap it out or get your money back.
VG_Addict
16-bit

Post by VG_Addict »

Do you know if the store will replace the laser for me?
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

I don't know anything about the store you got it from. I'm going to make a safe assumption of "no".

Just take it back. They sold you something that doesn't work.
VG_Addict
16-bit

Post by VG_Addict »

Wait, the store's site says it does console repairs.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

PS2 lasers were a common replacement, and I did lots of them, but I have never done a PS1 laser replacement. I didn't know replacements were available.
https://store.richspsxparts.com/newkspllaas.html
Guess you can get the one good model from Ebay - KSM-440-BAM , but it's kinda expensive.

Try to get your money back. If it's a total loss, I'll buy the faulty console and I believe I have the parts to fix it as a donation to the next charity auction. I might just bypass the disc reader entirely since I've been wanting to install one of the alternative ODEs for fun.

PM me about that and also, if you want a cheap PSOne - I'll subsidize the shipment from Canada. I trust the one I'll sell you as it was pretty unused when I got it, and I haven't really used it since. I will verify successful boot of a pressed disc before sale. It has a modern (recent-modded opensource) 6-pin modchip installed so it wouldn't fail to read any discs it could physically read data from; I'd even send a few of my last stock of Taiyo Yuden discs.

I mostly just want you to be able to play MegaMan Legends 2 on the original console. It's a really good game Image
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage