Online Netplay Options

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Online Netplay Options

Post by o.pwuaioc »

What do you all use for playing retro games online? I remember years ago sevin0seven and I used to play Street Fighter II on some application, but nothing that I've seen looks familiar. Then again, it has been many years, so maybe the look has changed?

What are the options out there? What's best? Basically I just want to co-op an NES game or play against a friend on the SNES, something like that.

Additionally, are any Linux compatible?
Note
Next-Gen

Re: Online Netplay Options

Post by Note »

I know RetroArch is an option for playing co-op games online through emulation. My friend and I were having trouble getting it to work correctly, but it's possible we missed something while setting it up. We both had the same exact rom file but even with that, we were having trouble connecting to one another. Maybe it was because I'm on a Mac and he's on Windows.

For fighting games, I know GGPO and FightCade are options that I've read positive things about, but I haven't used them myself, as I'm more interested in playing co-op games online.

I'm interested in hearing other's suggestions, as this is something I'd like to do as well with NES, SNES, and Genesis games.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Note wrote:I know RetroArch is an option for playing co-op games online through emulation. My friend and I were having trouble getting it to work correctly, but it's possible we missed something while setting it up. We both had the same exact rom file but even with that, we were having trouble connecting to one another. Maybe it was because I'm on a Mac and he's on Windows.

For fighting games, I know GGPO and FightCade are options that I've read positive things about, but I haven't used them myself, as I'm more interested in playing co-op games online.

I'm interested in hearing other's suggestions, as this is something I'd like to do as well with NES, SNES, and Genesis games.

Yeah, I think I'm more interested in the co-op part, too. I'll take a look at RetroArch, but I'm hoping there are some working alternatives!
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Let me know if you have any luck with RetroArch! I've heard good things about it for netplay, but in my experience the application was giving us a hard time with one user connecting to the host's game.

It's possible it could have been because we were on two different operating systems, as I've heard the application can be picky with both players needing a similar setup. There's also a possibility there was an issue with one of our routers blocking a necessary port.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Tho I haven't used it, I know the version of Retroarch using EmulationStation on Raspberry PI has functional netplay. There's a channel in RGBpi's Discord where people can match up to play Mame games on CRTs. I think you need to open port 55435 or 55439 on your router depending on RetroArch's configuration.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Playing some co-op beat em ups would be awesome... SoR ...

If you guys start doing game nights for emus online, let me know.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Anapan wrote:Tho I haven't used it, I know the version of Retroarch using EmulationStation on Raspberry PI has functional netplay. There's a channel in RGBpi's Discord where people can match up to play Mame games on CRTs. I think you need to open port 55435 or 55439 on your router depending on RetroArch's configuration.

Thanks on the tips, Anapan. Regarding the ports that need to be open for RetroArch to connect properly -- I'm not great with some tech, and was having a tough time trying to make any changes to settings on my router. I think I don't have the admin login information for it. Smh.

Jagosaurus wrote:Playing some co-op beat em ups would be awesome... SoR ...

Yeah, I'd love to do that if we can find an option that works.

Has anyone tried this NES/SNES Party application? Here's a link about it: https://techcrunch.com/2018/08/16/snes- ... r-friends/

Sounds promising but I just became aware of it while looking for other alternatives.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Anapan & I are pretty network savvy. Who is your ISP and the model router? Did you purchase it or rented from ISP. Can PM if needed.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

Jagosaurus wrote:Playing some co-op beat em ups would be awesome... SoR ...

I can do casuals on fightcade (this is an invite to all). Not an expert on fighting games, though, but I also play sports games, like Neo Turf Masters, too.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

About admin rights on your router for changing the ports - if it isn't on a sticker from your ISP, it's probably a default. We can figure it out.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage