Atari VCS Review

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Atari VCS Review

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

When the Indiegogo for the Atari VCS first went up in 2018 or 1940 or 1492 or however many lifetimes ago it was, I enthusiastically and immediately backed it. I did this for a couple of reasons. Part of it was nostalgia. I may have been born after the release of all of Atari’s consoles save for the Jaguar, but I love old gaming hardware, and I spent a lot of time playing my 2600 when I was younger. Part of it was novelty. I love quirky hardware even if it’s not the “best;” I adore my Vectrex, my Ouya, my Virtual Boy, and even my GameStick. Part of it was price. For $199, I figured I could take a gamble on a novelty piece. I spent that much on the Reading Rainbow Kickstarter for the novelty of having an Ouya with LeVar Burton’s signature on it (okay, so it was mostly to support Reading Rainbow, but that is a cool collection piece for a gamer and a Star Trek nerd). Part of it was that I’m stupid. I mean, I just admitted to spending $200 on an Ouya. No matter whose name is on it in Sharpie, I spent $200 on an Ouya; I’m not a clever lad.

Then came the delays. And more delays. And then they delayed their delays. I had faith that it would come out, though. What other choice did I have? I’d just wasted $200 on this thing. Fast forward to late December 2020. UPS delivers a package, and I finally have my Atari VCS. I unbox it, hook it up, turn it on….and then hit a roadblock. See, I encountered what seems to be a fairly uncommon bug. When you’re doing the initial set up, the first screen that involves user input has you connect a controller. This can be their gamepad, their joystick, a compatible USB controller, a compatible Bluetooth controller, or a USB keyboard. I tried my wired Xbox One controller. No luck. I tried my Bluetooth Xbox One controller. I tried my Bluetooth Xbox Series X controller. No luck. I tried my Bluetooth Wii U Pro controller. No luck. I tried my wired PS4 controller. No luck. With all of these, it detected the controller – the little controller picture lit up and it said “Bluetooth controller connected” or “USB controller connected” or whatever – but it wouldn’t actually register any of my inputs. You’re supposed to press A and then move to the next screen. No matter what button I pushed, it wouldn’t do anything despite recognizing that the controller was connected. So I reach out to their support team, and they take a couple of days getting back to me. Apparently, I was the first person to report this issue, so they had to discuss how to address my problem before getting back to me since they were pretty sure I wouldn’t be the only one (and, indeed, I have seen several Reddit and forum posts of other folks having the same issue in the weeks since). Their suggestion was “Try a USB keyboard to see if, for whatever reason, that works. If it doesn’t, try a factory reset. If that doesn’t work, we’ll replace it.” For whatever reason, a USB keyboard worked. All I had to do was complete the initial set up with the keyboard; I’ve been able to use my wired Xbox One controller no problem ever since.

Okay, cool story, bro, but what about the games? That’s why you buy a game console, after all. Short version – there aren’t any. Long version – there are some, but it’s nothing you can’t get elsewhere. It comes with Atari Vault preinstalled, but that’s been available for a while as a Steam download. You can buy Atari Vault Vol. 2, but that’s also been available for a while as DLC for Atari Vault on Steam. If you want an Xbox Game Pass style set up for arcade games, you can download AntStream for free and just pay monthly for that (I think it’s like $7 or something), and that’s actually a really neat deal, but not only is that also available on PC, you can get that on a damn cell phone. They advertise it as a sort of “console-slash-PC in a box hybrid,” whatever the hell that is supposed to mean. Do the specs make it worth it? Well…maybe? I don’t know. You tell me. Here’s what you’re looking at according to Tom’s Hardware.

APU: AMD Raven Ridge 2
GPU: Ryzen
Storage: 32GB eMMC internal, unlimited external USB HD/stick, subscription-based cloud storage
RAM: 8GB DDR4 RAM – optionally expandable
Compatibility: Windows, Linux, Steam OS, Chrome OS
Wireless Connections: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n 2.4/5GHz, Bluetooth 4.0
Wired Connections: HDMI 2.0, Gigabit Ethernet, USB 3.1 (x4)

That’s the specs for the “VCS 800” which runs $300 ($400 if you want a controller). The “VCS 400” runs $250 and is identical except that it has 4 GB of RAM instead of 8 GB. Indiegogo schmucks like me got the 800 for $200, so I guess the Indiegogo was the way to go-go (sorry, I had to) if you were absolutely going to get it, but the question of “is it worth it?” leans hard towards no in my opinion. It’s got some cool features, to be sure, cool doesn’t always mean worth it. Yeah, you can install pretty much any operating system you want, but with 8 GB of RAM (let alone 4 GB on the cheaper model) and a paltry 32 GB of internal storage, there’s not a whole lot that you could realistically do with it that couldn’t be done better or cheaper (if not better and cheaper) elsewhere.

Let’s be real. The UI is relatively tidy, but it’s ugly. The game selection looks like the Nintendo 64 launch. Actually, I’d say it’s worse; at least the N64’s two launch games in North America were exclusive to the system. The 400 model is, from what I understand, roughly on par with the Switch, but unlike the VCS, the Switch has games and the ability to be played while pooping or on a plane. If you want to compare it to a more traditional console, the Series S is the same price with more RAM, 16 times as much storage, a huge library of backwards compatible games, and an equally zero number of exclusive titles.

That’s kind of what it boils down to. Unless you simp for Atari as much as I simp for Nintendo, there’s frankly no reason to own a VCS. Atari Vault is great, but if you already have a PC, you can get both volumes for $15 versus buying a $250 machine plus a $5 download to get them on VCS. If you have a smartphone, you can download AntStream for free right now and enjoy the same 30 day trial that you get on VCS (which is highly recommend, by the way; there are some legitimately great arcade and console ports on there). If you want a console experience, get a Nintendo Switch or an Xbox Series S. If you want a media PC to connect to your TV, you can find them way cheaper than that. If you just want a smaller PC for a more traditional PC set up, get an all-in-one PC. If you want an emulation machine, get a RetroPie. If you just absolutely have to have something that plug into your TV, isn’t a traditional desktop PC or laptop, and can emulate sixth generation and Wii games, then okay, sure, get this, but that’s literally the only reason I can think of to own one of these unless, like me, you love just wasting money on quirky hardware no one will remember in five years.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Atari VCS Review

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Damn.

I simp Atari quite hard and even I don't want this.

I gotta level with you. I didn't even know this was released. I thought it was ultimately cancelled like the Coleco Chameleon.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Great review, Elkin. It just begs the question, however, “For whom, exactly, did Atari build this?” I can’t think of anyone ...
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

also, I feel like I saw some posts elsewhere of people installing the Atari OS on their own PC's/laptops. Is the Atari OS freely available? (I'm not actually sure). If so then that means you can have this "console" for free if you have some spare hardware sitting around, right?
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

noiseredux wrote:also, I feel like I saw some posts elsewhere of people installing the Atari OS on their own PC's/laptops. Is the Atari OS freely available? (I'm not actually sure). If so then that means you can have this "console" for free if you have some spare hardware sitting around, right?

It runs Linux, but I think they'd talked up going the other way - running general Linux ports - than having it freely available a la SteamOS.

Main thing to me is that this seems to make -zero- sense. Atari maybe pushing for a hub tailored around curated, classic style games sure...but that could be an app. Maybe a nice bluetooth controller to pair. Not a console purchase.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

This thing has always looked like a pointless mess of a console to me, but I guess I'm glad to read a review and have that confirmed. I'll be curious to see how the Intellivision Amico fares when (if?) that gets released, that one looks even worse in a lot of ways.

For both systems, aside from the hardcore folks that backed it on crowdfunding sites, I can't imagine a person looking for a new console and choosing VCS or Amico over Playstation, Xbox, or Switch
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Yeah, the only reason I have this is because the Indiegogo went up during my manic "buy everything, disregard financial sense" period. It's legitimately pointless. I don't necessarily regret having one as, like the Ouya and Gamestick, it's a cool little oddity, but it doesn't need to exist. As for the OS, I haven't personally seen anything about their Linux-based OS being available outside of the system (although that doesn't mean it's not), but they talk up being able to install Windows, Steam OS, or any of the gazillion Linux variants on their little "PC Mode."

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

This thing will suffer the same fate as the Neo Geo X.

Hardcore Atari fans already own bunches of authentic hardware. Many will scoff at the inauthenticity of this system.
Casual fans aren't going to pony up the money. Especially when one can get a juicy Atari compilation for like $20.
Those who are are totally unware of Atari's existence also won't be aware of this system.

The reason the NES Classic flew off the shelves is because the NES has a much wider consumer base and the thing was affordably priced.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:This thing will suffer the same fate as the Neo Geo X.

Hardcore Atari fans already own bunches of authentic hardware. Many will scoff at the inauthenticity of this system.
Casual fans aren't going to pony up the money. Especially when one can get a juicy Atari compilation for like $20.
Those who are are totally unware of Atari's existence also won't be aware of this system.

The reason the NES Classic flew off the shelves is because the NES has a much wider consumer base and the thing was affordably priced.

Not to mention that original NES hardware is extremely prone to failure with the 72-pin, and the casual nostalgia hunter doesn't have the know-how to replace that part themselves or the motivation to spend the money paying someone else to replace it. The NES Classic was the perfect product for nostalgic Gen Xers and Millennials.

Golgo 14
128-bit

Post by Golgo 14 »

I'm definitely an Atari simp, but I passed on this one. It's not from Atari in any meaningful sense. Just a cynical product from the company that bought their assets years ago. They don't even have the "spiritual successor" vibe that the Intellivision Amico has tried for. I'm surprised they didn't throw some cash at Nolan Bushnell for some PR and a meaningless consultant title.

Atari consoles after the 2600 were known for only having a limited selection of exclusive titles, but as noted, this thing doesn't have, like, any! That's going overboard, if you ask me.

Still, it's a gaming oddity and a not unattractive one. I think the joystick looks nice and I considered getting one just as a knickknack. And getting a physical item in return for your money means you did better than me, the guy who paid 100 bucks more than ten years ago for an expansion module for the Atari 7800. After years of missed ship dates, the supposed creator finally died last year, so I doubt I need to save a spot in my game room.
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.