51. Metroid - NES - June 25
52. Mario Golf: Super Rush - Switch - June 26
53. Metroid: Zero Mission - GBA - June 28
54. Metroid II: Return of Samus - Game Boy - June 29

July (2 Games Beaten)
55. Super Metroid - SNES - July 1
56. Metroid Fusion - GBA - July 2

56. Metroid Fusion - GBA - July 2

Metroid Fusion, also known as Metroid 4, is the furthest point in the Metroid timeline up until the release of Metroid Dread later in 2021 (allegedly). It was also the first Metroid game to appear on the Game Boy Advance. The game's story is told through dialogue cut scenes and sheds some light onto Samus's military background and her former CO, Adam.

The basic premise of Metroid Fusion is that Samus is acting as bodyguard for a research team researching SR388, the Metroid homeworld. While on the planet, she's attacked by an entity she'd never encountered previously. She later finds out that this entity, the parasite known as X, had infected her, integrating with her nervous systems, corrupting her Power Suit, and infesting her body. Parts of her suit had to be surgically removed, hence the change to her appearance. Unfortunately, an explosion occurred at the research station that had her infested suit, and her new computer CO has ordered her to investigate the incident.

Visually, Fusion and Zero Mission are about on par. They look fantastic, and the sprites are gorgeous. The lighting effects seen in parts of the game look extremely good, and I didn't notice any slowdown whatsoever during my playthrough. While the whole series has excellent music, I found Fusion's music to be especially good as it perfectly complements the foreboding and perilous tone of the game. The controls are about on par with Zero Missions, as well; space jump and wall jumping still feel a bit awkward, but they're perfectly serviceable a big step up from the older games.

The difficulty in Fusion is interesting. There is an Easy and a Normal mode (and a Hard mode in Japan that can be unlocked), but as far as just general difficulty, it's kind of mixed. On the one hand, I found navigation to be hands down the easiest of the series to this point. Your computer CO tells you pretty much exactly where you need to go most of the time, and the few times it doesn't, it's not too hard to find on your own. On the other hand, Samus takes more damage per hit than in previous Metroid games. This is balanced, however, with the fact that there are more total energy tanks thank in previous Metroid games, as well. All things considered, I found it much easier than Metroid, Metroid II or Super Metroid, but most difficult than Zero Mission.

Metroid Fusion is an excellent of example of why this series has such a strong following. With beautiful visuals, tight controls, addicting exploration, and varied and interesting bosses, this is peak Game Boy Advance action. It definitely feels a little like it holds your hand with the exploration by telling you where you need to go on the map, but with how frustratingly hidden some of the paths can be, I think that's a minor gripe at best, and I personally loved that feature. It's a shame that Game Boy Advance games never saw a 3DS release outside of the Ambassador program (of which Metroid Fusion was a part), but if you've got a Wii U, definitely check this game out before Metroid Dread comes out. It's apparently the cool thing to do as this game almost instantly shot to the top of the eShop sales charts after Dread was announced.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2021

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

First 25
1. Horace (Switch)
2. Ghostrunner (Switch)
3. Mickey’s Adventure in Numberland (NES)
4. Mickey’s Safari in Letterland (NES)
5. Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse (Genesis)
6. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Picross (3DS)
7. World of Illusion starring Mickey & Donald (Genesis)
8. Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse (Game Gear)
9. Land of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse (Game Gear)
10. Legend of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse (Game Gear)
11. Portal 2 [co-op] (PS3)
12. Operencia: The Stolen Sun (Switch)
13. The Knight of Queen (Switch)
14. Q.U.B.E. - Director’s Cut (PS3)
15. What the Golf?! (Switch)
16. Prune (iOS)
17. Kenshō (iOS)
18. For the Frog the Bell Tolls (GameBoy)
19. Holedown (iOS)
20. King’s Field (PS1)
21. My Friend Pedro (Switch)
22. MO: Astray (Switch)
23. EQI (Switch)
24. Foxyland (Switch)
25. Carrion (Switch)

26. QUBE 2 (Switch)
27. Aaero (Switch)
28. Portal 2 (PS3)
29. Alwa’s Awakening (Switch)
30. Alwa’s Legacy (Switch)
31. Mega Man 11 (Switch)
32. Superliminal (Switch)
33. Shantae & The Seven Sirens (Switch)

Shantae & The Seven Sirens is another pretty great metroidvania starring the lovable half-genie, Shantae. In it, Shantae has been invited to appear at a half-genie festival along with five other half-genies from other islands. Shortly after her arrival, however, the other half-genies disappear, and Shantae must scour the island to find them, discovering the island’s dark secret along the way.

First, the game looks and sounds great. WayForward delivers some its very best work, and all of the characters, enemies, and locations are beautifully and smoothly animated. (The game, and it’s fully-animated cutscenes, looks like something from the Disney Afternoon, with some anime and Tex Avery influences.) The music is upbeat and catchy, and I frequently found myself turning up the volume to enjoy the game’s soundtrack even more as I scoured the island for secrets.

The level-design is also rock-solid. The island consists of three towns and six “dungeons” connected by a large interconnected hub, which itself, is divided into seven or eight distinct regions. Like a Wonder Boy or Zelda game, each dungeon is self-contained, and there is no need to revisit a dungeon once you’ve completed it (and, if you’re a completionist, located each of the three heart squids, all of which are obtainable on your first run through the dungeon). This is quite welcome since it cuts back significantly the amount of real estate you need to cover if, like me, you’re attempting to compete the game. You gain a new transformation ability in each dungeon, but all of the game’s secrets, and all of Shantae’s dances, are unlocked by finding items in the over world. (Basically, you need a new transformation ability to complete each dungeon, and you need the new transformation ability, plus a new dance, to progress to the next dungeon.) The map is also littered with secrets and helpful items, and you’re consistently uncovering more secrets each time you loop back through the hub (or overworld).

The gameplay is also pretty great. Shantae moves gracefully; the controls are intuitive and responsive; and the game introduces some new, interesting mechanics, while retaining some of the best mechanics from previous Shantae games. As in previous games, Shantae attacks by whipping her hair, can transform into a variety of animals, can perform various magical dances, and can purchase various upgrades, offensive magic, defensive magic, and healing items using gems. In this game, though, enemies randomly drop “monster cards” and Shantae can equip up to three of them at a time. The monster cards, in addition to providing you with something else to collect, each give you a unique buff (e.g., increasing your attack power, making healing items more potent, etc.).

It took me just over 11 hours to collect everything and beat the game, and my only complaint is that the game is way too easy. The Shantae series isn’t exactly known for its difficulty, but I had to run my health down intentionally just to see the “game over” screen. Despite this, I still enjoyed the game tremendously, and I really can’t recommend it highly enough to anyone looking for a light, breezy metroidvania. Be warned, however, that it features a lot of characters from, and references to, previous games (including the wonderful, fourth-wall-breaking Squid Baron, who deserves his own game), and it will make more sense if you have played at least a few of the other games in the series first.
Last edited by prfsnl_gmr on Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

Been awhile since I have been on, being a new father really cuts down on free time, but I literally could not be happier. My little girl is the sweetest, happiest, little thing on the planet. I still lurk reading reviews and such, usually with my phone in one hand and my baby in the other so keep them coming, here is what I have been playing when I occasionally have free time, I'll just write a very short blurb about each:

12 The takeover (switch)
13 Tanuki justice ( switch)
14 Transformers battlegrounds (switch
15 Bloodstained: rotn classic (switch)
16 Wild guns reloaded (switch)
17 Hole new world(switch)
18 blazing chrome (switch)
19 9 monkeys of shaolin(switch)
20 patobox (switch)
21 Hades (switch)
22 crash bandicoot 4(switch)
23 ITTA ( switch)
24 brothers tale 2 sons (switch)
25 savage Halloween (switch)
26 double dragon (nes)
27 Kamen rider memory heroez
28 pumpkin Jack (switch)
29 contra ( nes)
30 streets of rage 2 (genesis)
31 super street fighter 2 (switch)
32 super ghouls n ghosts (snes)
33 kaze wild masks ( switch)
34 Chasm (switch)
35 Shing! (Switch)

12. Takeover:

Streets of rage clone that is decent but misses some of the fundamentals that make beat em ups great, the basic punch combo feels off, the grab feels off, and there are an annoying amount of enemies with ranged weapons that shoot you off screen. Not a bad game if you love beat em ups but a bit of a letdown.

13. tanuki justice

take Contra, replace the marines with tanukis, the aliens with animals, and the guns with shurkens and you get tanuki justice. Terrific run n gun with a nice colroful 8 bit asthetic and challenging level design. This one did not get the attention it deserves and is a must for fans of contra

14. transformers battlegrounds

Basically a budget x-com with transformers, graphics are nice and cartoony and the voices are right out of the cartoon. Gameplay is a little on the easy side but it is a fun, cheap, game for strategy fans who like the source material.

15. bloodstained ritual of the night classic mode

A patch added a more linear version of the rotn that plays more like castlevania than symphony of the night. It is fun, but very derivative. Level design apes too much of the old games and I often knew what to expect before I even got there. If you already own rotn it is worth a playthrough but don't buy the game just for this mode like I did.

16. wild guns reloaded:

Its wild guns, with 2 extra characters, more options, and for about significantly cheaper. Great, gallery shooter that goes for nearly $900 complete in box on the SNES and about 20 bucks complete on the switch. If you want a physical copy of wild guns, this is the way to do it as it is a better version for less than dinner and a movie

17.Hole new world

interesting 8 bit platformer where there are no bottomless pits. When you fall into a pit in this game you just enter an upside down world. Levels are designed around this mechanic and make for some really interesting scenarios. I typically hate upside down levels in platformers but it is done well here. Fun and unique game.

18. Blazing chrome

Best contra inspired game ever and easily on par with the greats of that franchise, must play

19. 9 monkeys of Shaolin

Beat em up style game where you play as a monk with a staff. Pretty cool variety of attacks, parries, dodges, makes combat fun but not your typical beat em up. Lots of weapons and accessories to unlock and a decent story mode. I would classify this as a hidden gem as I have literally never heard of it until I randomnly decided to blind buy it off a website.

20. Patobox:

Speaking of hidden gems, patobox might be my favorite game on this list. It is a punch out clone with extremely unique fights, however unlike punch out you dont just go from fight to fight, each fight is preceeded by a level where you explore, flesh out the story, and solve puzzles/avoid obstacles. VZery bizzare game but absolutely recommended.

21: Hades:

I dont usually like roguelites but I do love greek mythology and heard so many amazing things about this game that I decided to give it a shot. So glad I did, game absolutely lives up to the hype.

22. Crash Bandicoot 4

I think this is a perfect sequel, not a perfect game, but if you loved the OG crash games this should give you exactly what you want. Great level designs, fun characters to play as other than crash, cool new power ups, and some extremely challenging gameplay make this a sequel that was well worth the wait. I don't know why more platformers arent done in this style, can anyone think of any Crash bandicoot clones outside of donal duck going quackers??

23. ITTA:

Boss rush game with an obtuse storyline that makes no sense. In between bosses you explore a bizzare world, encounter a bunch of charachters, and try to follow the story, you also search for health and gun upgrades. The boss battles are fun but the difficulty does not really scale, as you become stronger the bosses really don't which means you will likely die more in the early game than the late game.

24. brothers tale of 2 sons

As a rule I am very critical of indie games that focus on stories with no dialogue, most of the time these games make no sense and are just artsy for the sake of being artst. This is not the case with brothers, which tales an extremely sad and tocuhing story about 2 brothers who embark on a quest to save their dad. Gameplay revolves around controlling each brother at the same time, one with the left stick and the other with the right stick. You will solve some simple puzzles and the main gimmick is essentially rubbing your tummy and patting your head at the same time as you try and navigate the 2 brothers around using both sticks. It is a fun, unique, and charming game, not the kind of game I typically play but I'm really glad I gave this one a chance.

25. Savage Halloween

2d platformer/run n gun which has you play as a pumpkin man trying to seal away the gates of hell. It is on the easy side but it is a good time, the weapon variety here is nice, you can switch between weapons at anytime, and all of the weapons have situations where they are better. Outside of that, gameplay is standard run through levels, shoot stuff, fight boss, repeat. This is a 5 dollar game that I bought on sale for 2.50 and it definitely is worht it for that price. Nothing revolutionary, but solid 8-bit gameplay.

26. DD (nes)

Nothing to say here, one of my favorite nes games, I'm sure you all know what it is and have played it. If you have not played it, you need to, despite being one of the first console beat em ups it still holds up to this day and is easily on par with the greats from the 16 bit era

27. Kamen Rider: Memory of Heroes

For those who don't know, Kamen Rider is essentially Japanese power rangers. Gameplay here is a 3d beat em up that plays like a 2d beat em up. You wlak through levels, progress freezes while you fight some enemies, repeat. Fighting in this game starts out a little slow, as you unlock new riderz with new forms the game gets considerably more fun. The amount of moves you have access to is pretty huge and figuring out different combos is a lot of fun. The standard enemies in this game are very samey but there are a TON of boss fights which are the star of the show. I really enjoyed my time with this game but it is an import only that is on the expensive side, so I'm not sure that it is for everyone.

28. Pumpkin Jack

A 3d platformer that is more linear than your average 3d platformer. The focus here is more on platforming and comnbat challenges than on exploration and collecting, which I personally prefer. The story is funny and has you playing as the villain trying to destory the world instead. Combat is a little janky but the platforming and level diversity more than make up for it, definitely worth a playthrough.

29 and 30: contra and streets of rage 2

31. Super street fighter 2

Recently discovered there is a street fighter anniversary collection on switch, pretty awesome value as it contains the original street fighter, and every version of 2, 3, and alpha. Definitely a must play for street fighter fans

33. Kaze and the wild masks:

Incredible game that pays homage to donkey kong country, you are essentially playing as a rabbit version of dixie kong as you make your way through 4 worlds with about 8 levels each + a hidden level and a boss fight. Nearly every level has its own unique gimmick which keeps the gameplay fresh as you are constantly doing new things, in addition to that there are 4 masks which completely change up the gameplay, think of them like the animal levels in dkc 2. My only complaint about the game is I wish there were a few more worlds, this game is an absolute must play for fans of platformers, especially dkc.

34. Chasm:

Procedurally generated metroidvania, in order to get the benefits of that you would have to play through the game more than once, from what I understand the game generates a map as soon as you start a new game and it will re-arrange the rooms with each different playthrough. Outside of that this is a pretty standard metroidvania but it is well made with tight controls and fun exploration/combat. worth a playthrough for fans of the genre but it is doubtful to make anyones top 10 list

35. Shing!

Shing is a weapons based beat em up with a unique control scheme, the left stick moves your character and the right stick attacks, depending on how you flick the right stick you get different attacks, so pressing ,right will do a standard right attack, the diagonals attack high and low, up is a launcher and down is block, you can also do street fighter style rotations to produce different moves. There is an option to change the controls to a more standard layout which I preferred, but the analog gimmick does work well. Outside of that you have 4 characters that you can swap in and out at anytime and there is a large amount of enemy variety, each requiring different strategies to take down. Battles can get pretty chaotic and there is lots of blood and dismemberment happening at all times. There is also a nice dodge/block/parry system built in to further expand your combat options. Definitely a fun, unique beat em up that offers 4 player coop.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Games Beaten in 2021 - 57
* denotes a replay

January (12 Games Beaten)
1. God of War - PlayStation 3 - January 1
2. God of War II - PlayStation 3 - January 2
3. God of War: Chains of Olympus - PlayStation 3 - January 3
4. God of War: Ghost of Sparta - PlayStation 3 - January 4
5. God of War III - PlayStation 4 - January 6
6. God of War: Ascension - PlayStation 3 - January 9
7. God of War [2018] - PlayStation 4 - January 16
8. Epic Dumpster Bear 2: He Who Bears Wins - PlayStation 4 - January 16
9. God of War: Betrayal - Mobile - January 17
10. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit - Switch - January 18
11. Muv-Luv photonflowers* - Steam - January 22
12. Muv-Luv photonmelodies♮ - Steam - January 27

February (5 Games Beaten)
13. Gun Gun Pixies - Switch - February 1
14. Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel - PS4 - February 8*
15. Pantsu Hunter: Back to the 90s - Vita - February 13
16. Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II - PS4 - February 17*
17. Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky - Steam - February 23

March (3 Games Beaten)
18. Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC - Steam - March 4
19. Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky 3rd - Steam - March 7
20. Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III - PS4 - March 21

April (7 Games Beaten)
21. Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV - PS4 - April 5
22. Muv-Luv Unlimited: The Day After 00 - Steam - April 7
23. Muv-Luv Unlimited: The Day After 01 - Steam - April 10
24. Muv-Luv Unlimited: The Day After 02 - Steam - April 11
25. Muv-Luv Unlimited: The Day After 03 - Steam - April 13
26. Neptunia Virtual Stars - PS4 - April 18
27. Before Your Eyes - Steam - April 18

May (9 Games Beaten)
28. New Pokemon Snap - Switch - May 2
29. Resident Evil 8: Village - PS5 - May 8
30. Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Switch - May 15
31. Torment: Tides of Numenera - Xbox One - May 18
32. Pepsiman - PS1 - May 20
33. Super Blackjack Battle II Turbo: The Card Fighters - Switch - May 20
34. Reel Fishing: Road Trip Adventure - Switch - May 23
35. Planetscape: Torment - Steam - May 26
36. Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne - Switch - May 31

June (17 Games Beaten)
37. Hentai vs Evil - Switch - June 1
38. Troll and I - Switch - June 2
39. Zombie Army 4: Dead War - PlayStation 4 - June 5
40. Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 - Switch - June 6
41. Military Madness - TurboGrafx-16 - June 7
42. Puyo Puyo 2 - Game Gear - June 17
43. Yakuza 0 - Playstation 4 - June 19
44. Neptunia Shooter - Playstation 5 - June 20
45. Little Samson - NES - June 22
46. Tiger-Heli - NES - June 23
47. Blaster Master - NES - June 23
48. Gun-Nac - NES - June 24
49. Rollerblade Racer - NES - June 25
50. Marble Madness - NES - June 25

July (3 Games Beaten)
56. Where's Waldo? - NES - July 1
57. Metroid Fusion - GBA - July 2

57. Where's Waldo? - NES - July 1

Some things should not be made into video games. Other things would work okay as video games but only if done well. Where’s Waldo on NES is definitely an example of one of these two, probably the latter. I knew this would be a quick game and a stupidly short game, but I didn’t expect it to take me literally less than fifteen minutes.

As the name suggests, you have a handful of levels filled to the brim with people, and you have to find Waldo. The less-than-stellar graphics, however, make this difficult as there are several non-Waldo sprites who look a lot like Waldo at first. There are four difficulties - Practice which has no time limit, and then Easy, Medium, and Hard which are increasingly strict with time penalties for wrong guesses and change the size of the game screen to make it more difficult. The harder difficulties will sometimes have Waldo in different colors which honestly feels more like BS than honest difficulty; the red stripe shirt is kind of his thing.

There are some special levels that break up the monotony somewhat. There’s a cave level where you can’t see anything and have to wait until Waldo darts across the screen briefly. That one’s so easy that it’s honestly frustrating. Then there’s a subway level that’s like a maze that you have to navigate to get to Waldo and then get to the exit. Lastly, there’s final level is a slot machine that requires you land all three spinners on Waldo’s face. Do that before the end of your time limit, and you win.

That’s it. That’s the entirety of Where’s Waldo. It’s a terrible game with terrible design. Bad graphics aren’t always a deal breaker for NES games, but when the entire point is to find a specific character, that kind of depends on being able to see what character on screen, and that’s sometimes easier said than done here. Don’t bother with this game; it honestly isn’t even worth emulating.

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

pook99 wrote:Been awhile since I have been on, being a new father really cuts down on free time, but I literally could not be happier. My little girl is the sweetest, happiest, little thing on the planet. I still lurk reading reviews and such, usually with my phone in one hand and my baby in the other so keep them coming, here is what I have been playing when I occasionally have free time, I'll just write a very short blurb about each:

pook! It’s good to hear from you, and I’m glad you’re doing well. I know you have your hands full, both literally and figuratively, but I’m glad you’re still finding some time to check in and play a few games. I actually joined the site just after my daughter’s birth (12 years ago!). Chatting with others about video games, and playing games on my then-new Nintendo DS Lite really helped me a lot when I was a new parent.

@Elk

Where’s Waldo (NES) is so, so bad. But…it got two sequels! The Great Waldo Search is available for the Genesis, NES, and SNES, and there’s a Where’s Waldo game for the NDS and Wii too. I haven’t played the later versions, but The Great Waldo Search is also pretty bad.

That said, Hidden Folks, which is basically the same concept, is actually a lot of fun. Have you played that before? It’s really charming.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I haven't even heard of Hiddem Folks, but I'll look into it!

ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Games Beaten in 2021 - 58
* denotes a replay

January (12 Games Beaten)
1. God of War - PlayStation 3 - January 1
2. God of War II - PlayStation 3 - January 2
3. God of War: Chains of Olympus - PlayStation 3 - January 3
4. God of War: Ghost of Sparta - PlayStation 3 - January 4
5. God of War III - PlayStation 4 - January 6
6. God of War: Ascension - PlayStation 3 - January 9
7. God of War [2018] - PlayStation 4 - January 16
8. Epic Dumpster Bear 2: He Who Bears Wins - PlayStation 4 - January 16
9. God of War: Betrayal - Mobile - January 17
10. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit - Switch - January 18
11. Muv-Luv photonflowers* - Steam - January 22
12. Muv-Luv photonmelodies♮ - Steam - January 27

February (5 Games Beaten)
13. Gun Gun Pixies - Switch - February 1
14. Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel - PS4 - February 8*
15. Pantsu Hunter: Back to the 90s - Vita - February 13
16. Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II - PS4 - February 17*
17. Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky - Steam - February 23

March (3 Games Beaten)
18. Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC - Steam - March 4
19. Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky 3rd - Steam - March 7
20. Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III - PS4 - March 21

April (7 Games Beaten)
21. Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV - PS4 - April 5
22. Muv-Luv Unlimited: The Day After 00 - Steam - April 7
23. Muv-Luv Unlimited: The Day After 01 - Steam - April 10
24. Muv-Luv Unlimited: The Day After 02 - Steam - April 11
25. Muv-Luv Unlimited: The Day After 03 - Steam - April 13
26. Neptunia Virtual Stars - PS4 - April 18
27. Before Your Eyes - Steam - April 18

May (9 Games Beaten)
28. New Pokemon Snap - Switch - May 2
29. Resident Evil 8: Village - PS5 - May 8
30. Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Switch - May 15
31. Torment: Tides of Numenera - Xbox One - May 18
32. Pepsiman - PS1 - May 20
33. Super Blackjack Battle II Turbo: The Card Fighters - Switch - May 20
34. Reel Fishing: Road Trip Adventure - Switch - May 23
35. Planetscape: Torment - Steam - May 26
36. Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne - Switch - May 31

June (17 Games Beaten)
37. Hentai vs Evil - Switch - June 1
38. Troll and I - Switch - June 2
39. Zombie Army 4: Dead War - PlayStation 4 - June 5
40. Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 - Switch - June 6
41. Military Madness - TurboGrafx-16 - June 7
42. Puyo Puyo 2 - Game Gear - June 17
43. Yakuza 0 - Playstation 4 - June 19
44. Neptunia Shooter - Playstation 5 - June 20
45. Little Samson - NES - June 22
46. Tiger-Heli - NES - June 23
47. Blaster Master - NES - June 23
48. Gun-Nac - NES - June 24
49. Rollerblade Racer - NES - June 25
50. Marble Madness - NES - June 25

July (4 Games Beaten)
56. Where's Waldo? - NES - July 1
57. Metroid Fusion - GBA - July 2
58. Neptunia ReVerse - PlayStation 5 - July 3

58. Neptunia ReVerse - PlayStation 5 - July 3

It's no secret that I'm a MASSIVE Hyperdimension Neptunia fan. It's also no secret that the games in this series are decent at best. Sometimes I even acknowledge that fact. To celebrate Nep's 10th anniversary, Idea Factory decided to release a PS5 remaster of the PS Vita remake of the PS3 original. What started as Hyperdimension Neptunia on the PS3 was remade as Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1 on the PS Vita and then remastered as Neptunia ReVerse on the PS5. Personally, I would have preferred a fully remade game for the series's PS5 debut, but for a series that excels at mediocrity, this is exactly what one should expect.

The game takes place in Gameindustri, a world divided into four nations each ruled over by their goddess, a Console Patron Unit - Planeptune, ruled over by Lady Purple Heart (Neptune); Lastation, ruled over by Lady Black Heart (Noire); Leanbox, ruled over by Lady Green Heart (Vert); and Lowee, ruled over by Lady White Heart (Blanc). These four goddesses fight endlessly in the land of Celestia floating above the four nations the Console War over Shares, the power derived from the devotion of the people. At some point in the endless fighting, Neptune gets ganged up on by the other three goddesses and goes plummeting to the ground below, landing headfirst like a javelin in Planeptune and losing all of her memory. As she seeks to regain her memory, aided by her new friends Compa and IF, she stumbles on a sinister plan to destroy the four goddesses and all of Gameindustri with them.

As far as gameplay goes, Neptunia ReVerse is about as generic a JRPG as it gets in most ways. Your four CPUs (seven if you play Arrange Mode which I'll discuss in a bit) as well as the four CPU Candidates that you can unlock later in the game can activate HDD (Hard Drive Divinity) and transform into their true forms which gives them a pretty substantial stat boost. Other than, it's totally generic run-of-the-mill JRPG. Honestly, that doesn't bother me; the game exists to be fan service, not to push the envelope of JRPG mechanics. The story is also pretty generic, although having the entire thing be an allegory for the game industry (even if the names are bit on the nose) is pretty awesome in my opinion. So why do folks buy these games other than the obvious anime tiddies? The characters. The characters and their interactions are, while pretty trope-y, a lot of fun. That's why I keep coming back, at least; Neptune and Compa are two of my absolute favorite characters just kind of in general.

The Neptunia series has never pushed the limits of the hardware it's on, and that absolutely holds true here. The game looks amazing compared to the rest of the series, but truthfully, this is nothing that the base PS4 couldn't have pulled off. Don't get me wrong; I'm thrilled to have another PS5 exclusive. It's just a shame that the development team didn't take advantage of the hardware. It looks very nice with some reflections and visual effects we've never seen in the series before, and the frame rate is a consistent 60 fps, but the models and textures aren't going to impress anyone. The music is a similar story; it's great, but it's nothing that fans of the series haven't heard before, and outside of a few tunes here and there, it's nothing that's likely to get stuck in your head or make much of an impression.

The big change here from Re;Birth 1 are the trophy set and Arrange Mode. There are significantly fewer trophies in ReVerse than there were in Re;Birth 1, but that's largely because Re;Birth 1 had a trophy for getting each character to level 99 whereas ReVerse doesn't have any character-specific trophies. Arrange Mode is the big change; the core story doesn't change at all, but the balance is changed up. First off, you get every character right from the get-go including some like Plutia, Peashy, and Uzume who I don't recall being unlockable in Re;Birth 1 (I know Uzume wasn't because the game she's in hadn't been released yet). You also get most of their costumes unlocked from the start. It also changes the XP balance; enemies give less XP, but it takes much less XP to get your characters to levels beyond 100, so while it may feel tougher in the core game, if you're going for the high level stuff, it gets (somewhat) less tedious. I played in Arrange Mode having already played through Re;Birth 1 and wanting to see what they changed, and it was definitely nice having every character opened up to me at the start, but I ended up just using the same eight characters throughout the whole game. It's definitely not something you want you to do on your first playthrough - you want to get a feel for each character as they're unlocked - but it's perfect for replays.

Neptunia ReVerse is a solid remaster of the Vita's Re;Birth 1, but given that it's on a 9th gen console instead of an 8th gen handheld, it's disappointing that more wasn't added. The visual upgrades are definitely nice and a new high for the series, but even so, they're only impressive in the context of the rest of the series. It's definitely a tougher game than some of the other recent entries, but even so, as with most JRPGs, that's nothing a little grinding can't take care of. It's definitely a fun game, but if you don't care about anime waifus, you'll get bored quickly. It's a very competent JRPG, but it doesn't do anything truly unique or impressive, and it's not going to make much of an impression if you're not a mouth-breathing weeb like me.

marurun

Post by marurun »

Marurun vs Games 2021 edition!
  1. Trials of Mana (Switch)
  2. Outer Worlds (Switch)
  3. Code of Princess: EX (Switch)
  4. Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS)
  5. Dragon Warrior III (Gameboy Color)
  6. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - New Game+ (Switch)
  7. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World™: The Game – Complete Edition (Switch)

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World™: The Game – Complete Edition (Switch)
This licensed beat 'em up was initially released in 2010 on PSN and XBLA developed by Ubisoft as a collaboration between their Chengdu and Montreal studios. It released with Scott, Ramona, Kim, and Stephen as the playable characters. DLC characters were released in the form of Knives and Wallace. The game pays homage to a lot of different video game classics but the gameplay itself is primarily a send-up of River City Ransom. The Switch release is the original game and the DLC bundled into a single port.

Let's get the good stuff out of the way. This game looks and sounds great. The art style (courtesy of Paul Robertson) is fantastic. It's sort of a 16/32-bit pixel-art style. Animation is fantastic and loaded with personality. The music is also great, which shouldn't be surprising since it comes from Anamanaguchi. The look and sound of the game feel very authentic to the Scott Pilgrim experience, which is to say it is an incredibly accurate spiritual (if not perfect stylistic) adaptation of a blend of the comics and the movie. I have absolutely zero complaints about the total audio-visual experience; it's top-notch.

Gameplay is where flaws start to emerge, but not the flaws I was expecting based on the comments of others. The problem is that the game doesn't go as easy on you in the early game as, say, River City Ransom. Like River City Ransom you power up your various stats by eating food and buying items at stores. You also get new moves by leveling up, which is more like the NES port of Double Dragon. So you start out level 1 with cruddy stats and the enemies can be pretty aggressive, which means you take a beating. Once you've leveled up a bit and spent some cash on stat improvement you can take much more control of the situation. Whereas beat-em-ups are known for having cheap enemies who have invincible wake-up attacks sometimes and know just how to charge in, Scott Pilgrim eventually gives you the ability to hard counter a lot of those shenanigans. But you don't have that ability right away, meaning you effectively have to grind your way to success. Trying to battle aggressive foes with what feels like a rather puny arsenal of weak attacks is definitely disheartening. You get some useful moves relatively quickly and you can cheese money to buff your stats, so it's not so bad even to start over once you are familiar with what the game can throw at you, but starting cold it can be quite a rough experience.

The real crime is how short the game is. There's only a single unlockable character and that unlock requires repeated playthroughs (for some reason I REALLY want this word to be playsthrough, instead), so I'm skipping it for now. The game looks great, moves great, and sounds great, and once you've ground out some levels and spent the cash for stats it plays great, too. It's a very creative title that I think represents the Scott Pilgrim universe quite well.

I will note that my first playthrough was with Kim Pine, because Kim is best girl. And then I started a Stephen Sills playthrough and made it over halfway before deciding I wanted to try one of my other recent downloaded games instead. Someday, secret unlockable character, someday...
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Partridge Senpai's 2021 Beaten Games:
Previously: 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020
* indicates a repeat

Games 1~51
1. Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland (PS3)
2. Portal 2 (PC) *
3. Atelier Judie: The Alchemist of Gramnad (PS2)
4. Pipo Saru 2001 (PS2)
5. Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon (N64)
6. Atelier Viorate: The Alchemist of Gramnad 2 (PS2)
7. Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SFC)
8. The Legend of Mystical Ninja (SFC)
9. Atelier Marie: The Alchemist of Salburg (PS1)
10. Ganbare Goemon 2 (SFC)
11. Paper Mario: Origami King (Switch)
12. Star Fox 64 (N64) *
13. Super Paper Mario (Wii) *
14. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (GC) *
15. Demon's Crest (SNES)
16. Cathedral (Switch)
17. Super Mario 3D World (Switch) *
18. Bowser's Fury (Switch)
19. Rogue Heroes: Ruins of Tasos (Switch)
20. moon (Switch)
21. Casltevania 64 (N64)
22. Captain Rainbow (Wii)
23. Doraemon: Nobita To Mittsu No Seireiseki (N64)
24. Blast Corps (N64)
25. Doraemon 2: Nobita To Hikari No Shinden (N64)
26. Custom Robo (N64)
27. Doraemon 3: Nobita No Machi SOS! (N64)
28. 64 Trump Collection: Alice No Wakuwaku Trump World (N64)
29. The Sunken City (PS4)
30. Lair of the Clockwork God (Switch)
31. Star Fox Adventures (GC)
32. Atelier Elie: The Alchemist of Salburg 2 (PS1)
33. Billy Hatcher & The Giant Egg (GC)
34. Mole Mania (GB)
35. Gargoyle's Quest (GB)
36. Rock Man 4 (Famicom) *
37. Wai Wai World (Famicom)
38. Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge (GB)
39. Mega Man (Switch) *
40. Mega Man 2 (Switch) *
41. Mega Man 3 (Switch) *
42. Rock Man 5 (Famicom) *
43. Mega Man 6 (Switch)
44. Mega Man 7 (Switch) *
45. Mega Man 8 (Switch) *
46. Mega Man 9 (Switch) *
47. Mega Man 10 (Switch)
48. Rock Man World 2 (GB) *
49. Rock Man World 3 (GB)
50. Rock Man World 4 (GB)
51. Rock Man World 5 (GB)

52. Wai Wai World 2 (Famicom)
53. Tiny Toon Adventures (Famicom)
54. King Kong 2: Ikari No Megaton Punch (Famicom)
55. Yume Pengin Monogatari (Famicom)
56. Rock Man & Forte (SFC)
57. Rock Man X2 (Switch)
58. Rock Man X3 (Switch)
59. Rock Man X4 (Switch)
60. Rock Man X5 (Switch)
61. Rock Man X6 (Switch)
62. Rock Man X7 (Switch)
63. Rock Man X8 (Switch)
64. Mega Man: Powered Up (PSP)
65. Magical Taruruuto Kun: FANTASTIC WORLD!! (Famicom)
66. Maken Shao (PS2)
67. Getsu Fuuma Den (Famicom)
68. Rock Man D.A.S.H (PSP)
69. Brave Fencer Musashi (PS1)
70. Joe & Mac (SFC) *
71. Atelier Lilie: The Alchemist of Salburg 3 (PS2)
72. Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link (Famicom)
73. The Bouncer (PS2)
74. Rapid Angel (PS1)
75. Atelier Totori: The Alchemist of Arland 2 (PS3)
76. Drakengard 3 (PS3)
77. Alwa's Awakening (Switch)
78. Hermina & Culus (PS2)

79. Atelier Meruru: The Alchemist of Arland 3 (PS3)

And so ends my time with the original Arland sub-series of the Atelier series. A good few months back, this was another game I co-streamed with a friend of mine, but she did all of the playing, and I just watched most of it. While the game certainly did look pretty fun to play, I came away from it with a pretty harsh view on the quality of the writing, and so I wasn't originally intending to play this one myself at all. However, in the interest of having first-hand experience with the series (and because I was able to find it for just 300 yen), I figured I should give this game its fair dues on my own time. I ended up quite surprised both negatively and positively, but I'm certainly glad that I did end up giving this game a fair shake in the end. I got the Witch's Tea Party ending (the second highest in priority, as this game has no "true" ending like these games often do) in the Japanese version of the game in about 47.5 hours.

Atelier Meruru is a sequel to Atelier Totori. As these games so often do, it tells the story of the titular alchemist Meruru. Unlike the humble origins of most of the series' protagonists, Meruru isn't some girl from a back country town, she's the princess of a back country kingdom! Totori ended up in her kingdom of Arls and wound up teaching her alchemy, which she took to with fervor. Meruru's father, the king, is quite reluctant to let his daughter play at magician instead of doing governmental duties, but he makes her a compromise. In five years, the kingdom of Arls will unite with its sister nation the Republic of Arland (whose former royal family the Arls are a junior branch to). If she uses her alchemy to help develop the nation in preparation for their unification, then she's allowed to do it. So, with her first objective at getting to 30,000 citizens by the end of her third year (and then if that's completed, 100,000 by the end of the fifth), Meruru has a goal with which to start out her new life as an alchemist.

Now while my opinion on the game's narrative has certainly softened during my own playthrough, Meruru's narrative is still remarkably weak compared to the other two games in the original Arland trilogy. Meruru herself has a quest but no real personal goals to overcome or confront, and she winds up as a remarkably flat character as a result. They try and play it up like this has all been some big task of proving her capabilities as a hard worker in the final act (or what amounts to it in a somewhat non-linear game like this), but it doesn't exactly impress when the narrative up to that point hasn't been telling that story at all. In fact, the game's larger plot feels really remarkably confused and at times outright contradicts itself (such as during Meruru's soliloquy under the moonlight after you hit the 30,000 population goal) and it overall feels like a compromised mess that was the result of several competing drafts of the game's script (which I have BIG theories about in how Meruru was probably going to have a sibling at some point, but I won't get into that here). Meruru ends the narrative the exact same person she starts it as, and it makes her feel like a side character in her own game, and that's not a good sign for a series whose main strengths are often character writing.

This weakness in writing also extends to the rest of the cast too, for the most part. With some very small exceptions (such as the gate guard Lias), your party members are all also similarly flat and boring characters whose character quest lines often don't change them meaningfully if at all. The game is PACKED with flat, fluffy dialogue which is fine in and of itself (usually, when it isn't diving into some pretty vile sexual assault/harassment jokes of which this game has a significantly higher amount than either previous game in the sub-series), but given that it's with characters you have a difficult time caring about, it can often times get kinda boring.

This is even more unfortunate considering just how much of the cast isn't new characters but returning characters from the other two games. Just two of the nine non-DLC party members (the DLC characters up it to four out of 13) are actually new to Meruru's story (and they're the two I played the game with, Lias and Keina), and the rest are all returning characters. Atelier Totori did a good job balancing new characters with old, and ultimately making the story both mostly about Totori and also giving returning characters (mostly) good new arcs and stories. Atelier Meruru is not only a quite unfocused story, but it also gives a TON of time to these returning characters when there are several new characters (such as Meruru's own father) who are sidelined to the point that they're barely even characters at all.

And what makes that ALL worse is that these aren't so much returning characters so much as weird distortions of what you remembered those characters to be. It's particularly bad with Astrid and Sterk, but all of old characters have had their prior character development changed or warped in some way as to leave them awful perversions of themselves. It's a problem I had when I originally watched my friend play this, and it's a problem I still very much have now, as Atelier Meruru's bad writing isn't just contained to its own story, but also does a lot to harm the ultimate stories of the other two games in the trilogy too. Atelier Meruru on many levels just isn't trying to have a very meaningful story with deeper messages. While that doesn't make it particularly interesting and also makes it a very weird follow up to two quite meaningful and well-written games, that isn't in and of itself a bad thing. What IS a bad thing is all of the very distasteful humor and ruining of old characters, and that's stuff I have a much harder time forgiving this game for no matter how much I may've enjoyed other aspects of it.

Speaking of things I enjoyed about the game (finally), the gameplay is actually really really solid! It takes a lot of the things that worked best about the overall formulas of both Atelier Rorona and Atelier Totori and makes it into something that works really damn well. Where Rorona was more of a very guided experience with its dozen 90 day tasks, and Totori was a quite unguided experience composed of one longer slowly unfolding journey, Meruru is a slowly unfolding journey that's quite guided along the way.

Developing the kingdom is done through a constantly growing list of things you have to do, whether its killing monsters or delivering/crafting materials, and completing those gets you points very much like advancing your adventurer's license worked in Atelier Totori. However, unlike that game, these points don't just raise an overall rank (although they do do that too), as they can also be used to build buildings in your kingdom that both give population boosts as well as provide passive bonuses such as giving you more EXP from crafting and fighting, giving you a monthly free money boost, or making your popularity go down slower. It for the most part keeps the exploration along a larger map that Totori used, but it reigns it in a bit, and the checklist of developments constantly keeps you focused on current objectives rather than worrying about what COULD come from some secondary main plot. It's a really clever system and it's a great way to structure the usual alchemy stuff in a way that's both challenging and dopamine-providing~.

The alchemy itself is very much like Atelier Totori handled it. Items still have unique properties to themselves such as their quality and inherent traits, and crafting things as well as traveling places, gathering materials, and fighting monsters takes time that you need to manage (although thankfully the amount of time for gathering and fighting have been reduced since Totori). Trying to perfect a recipe for getting just the right traits and qualities is as fun and addictive as ever, and they haven't tried to rock the boat much in that regard.

The combat has been further refined into something better, but it's also still very recognizable. The biggest and most important change is that while you still have the turn order indicator on the side that Totori introduced, you now have much more meaningful ways to affect and manipulate that turn order. Your alchemist's attacking and support items have had their area of effect and strengths buffed, but so have the skills of your other party members. It gives you a lot more choice in what you wanna do in tackling each battle, and while their character writing may not be terribly great, each party member really does add a whole new flavor to how you're going to go about fighting. Meruru is overall a much easier game combat-wise than Totori, and that's due in no small part to just how much stronger and flexible they've made the options available to you as a player. One last thing I'll mention about the combat that I really liked is that while they haven't changed how super moves can be used by your non-main character party members, they've introduced two different animations for them! A different animation plays depending on if you're dealing a finishing blow or just dealing damage, and that was a little touch I really appreciated.

The presentation for the battles is quite good, but outside of that it's a bit of mixed bag. On the more positive side, you FINALLY have the 3D models looking JUST like the 2d portraits. They were pretty close in Atelier Totori, but now we've finally made it to where they're basically never looking quite so uncanny anymore. The music is also good, but it's quite different. The more slow going orchestral ballads from the earlier two games give way to a soundtrack packed with a lot more pop-rock flair, and while a lot of it is stuff that's really good and I really liked, it's another big stylistic and thematic change from the first two games. On the less great side, you have first how the game has some pretty significant framerate issues when walking around (not that they ever meaningful affect gameplay) as well as a far heavier reliance on the 3D models for in-game cutscenes.

This is the last Atelier game in the main series to use 2D portraits in visual novel-style dialogue scenes, and that manifests partly as a lot more in-game cutscenes with these nice 3D models. What it also amounts to is not only less 2D visual novel-style scenes but also less 2D portraits, full stop. There were many times when the particular portrait selected for a line of dialogue didn't really seem to fit the emotion behind the line, but no other better expressions existed, so they had to the best with what they had. It's a really weird cost-cutting measure that just adds to that whole slapped-together feeling the game's narrative has in general. It also means there are a lot less hand-drawn CGs for in-game events to boot. This is a trend I really don't care for in how these games are presented. Like a visual novel, there is a lot of imagination used in interpreting the scenes in your head for the 2D scenes, just as you would a book. When it's just relatively simple 3D animated cutscenes, it's a lot harder to look like anything less than simple/cheap in-game 3D cutscenes, and it makes the whole game just feel cheaper and less engaging than the prior games. It's a sacrifice seemingly made simply to usher in the 3D era and usher out the 2D era, and while this game is the first game in the series to start leaning towards that inefficient sacrifice, it is far from the only game in the series to suffer from its many drawbacks.

Verdict: Recommended. Though the writing may be as rough as it is, a lot of the fluff is still enjoyably written fluff, and what good stuff is there (such as with Lias or the last act's emphasis) IS still good. However, the real star of the show is just how fun this game is to play. If it weren't a fun RPG to play, it'd be pretty impossible to recommend, and while I do have some pretty heavy reservations about its humor and overall writing caliber, I can't deny how much fun I had playing the game. It's definitely my least favorite of the Atelier Arland trilogy, but it's still a game I'm really glad I gave a chance, and I can still recommend people play it despite its faults. While Atelier Meruru may fall pretty flat at being the conclusion to the Arland trilogy, it still manages to be fun on its own merits.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

pook99 wrote:Been awhile since I have been on, being a new father really cuts down on free time, but I literally could not be happier. My little girl is the sweetest, happiest, little thing on the planet. I still lurk reading reviews and such, usually with my phone in one hand and my baby in the other so keep them coming, here is what I have been playing when I occasionally have free time, I'll just write a very short blurb about each:

Also glad to hear you're doing well, pook! Enjoyed reading your blurbs -- I was aware of Tanuki Justice but hadn't seen any reviews on it so I'm glad to hear you liked it.

9 Monkeys of Shaolin and Shing look like really fun beat 'em ups. I might have to track those down.