your thoughts on limited run/limited releases

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
pook99
128-bit

Re: your thoughts on limited run/limited releases

Post by pook99 »

ZRofel wrote:I'm always a little surprised by the negativity I see surrounding Limited Run Games, as I feel like they're doing the Lord's work by trying to preserve the physical medium. I definitely agree that some of their earlier release timetables could be pretty frustrating, as God help you if you weren't right at your computer at 10am, EST, but I'm really in love with the dedication they've shown to preserving all kinds of weird and quirky games that would have otherwise completely slipped through the cracks. Plus, now that they're mostly focusing on preorders, they've pretty much eliminated that frustration. I would also agree that as their release volume has increased not all of their releases have been winners, but I think that's to be expected. s.

I agree, I think the main issue is that in the beginning their business model did suck and caused some bad blood with gamers, they have changed for the better, but sometimes people are very stubborn about changing their minds, even if there is a good reason to do so.

There is also some resentment from collectors trying to collect complete sets, I have seen a handful of videos bashing them because they make completing a set very difficult and some collectors even saying that limited run games don't count towards a full set (which is just silly). I personally think this is foolish, and trying to collect full sets of anything is a waste of time and money.

I do wonder what the market will look like 10 years from now, I feel that the switch may be the last console that is truly collectable for and it will be interesting to see the impact that these limited print cycles have on the market down the line. Also, it is not just limited run games, I find that quantities of several lower end titles are pretty limited, even if not done through one of these companies, there are already a handful of switch games, that are retailing in the 65-85 dollar range (ys 8, code of princess off the top of my head)
marurun

Post by marurun »

Small runs have always been a hallmark of the games industry, from small companies distributing floppies in a baggie with photocopied manuals to Atlus’s small runs of RPGs during the PS1 era. Honestly, digital distribution has done the most to upend that. And that has its own problems, like some titles disappearing from digital storefronts being compounded by the inability to transfer digital purchases, and Nintendo introducing a limited release window for Mario anniversary titles.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

Question about Limited Run Games: Do you open and play them or just collect them sealed?
I buy games to play and try to keep them nice to collect.

I do have an issue with my copy of Shantae GBC not saving.

I save at the Save House and if I turn it off or reset the game there is no file. Every slot says "New". The battery connections look fine, I don't see any issues looking at the cart through the case (don't want to open it up to void any possible warranty). I refuse to replace a battery on a new item that didn't work straight out of the box on Saturday. I have tried it on my LCD modded GBC, a non LCD modded GBC, and both a regular GBA and GBA SP. The issue is across all systems. I have not tried the Retron5 for fear that the save feature as wonky as it is may mess it up more.
I contacted Limited Run including a video showing me saving, rebooting, and the missing save. I'm guessing I'll hear back from them after the holiday weekend.

Edit: I posted this on social media and another site - the number of people giving me crap for opening answers my first question. My game not saving also lead to many discussions about how many of the Limited Run releases may be faulty if no one ever opens them and plays them. Some have said they are debating on opening them to see if their copy of Shantae works... many are just shrugging it off since they do not plan on opening the game.

194297777_4485179198159073_7084002739426363969_n.jpg
194297777_4485179198159073_7084002739426363969_n.jpg (123.57 KiB) Viewed 11363 times
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

I kind of see both the pros and cons of this issue. I actually made another topic where I questioned the value of physical releases for modern games given how much stuff you end up having to download that isn't on the physical release itself. This applies to indie games too as many of them require patches and some even have DLC (The Messenger, Guacamelee).

I will say though, I find the recent trend of releasing games on cartridge for older systems intriguing. As someone who enjoys platformers I couldn't pass up the chance to pre order this:

https://www.strictlylimitedgames.com/me ... s-edition/

Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

Well I'm definitely in the "play your games" camp and I ordered a copy of Shantae for myself from LR too. I tore off that shrink wrap with no regrets, got through the beginning stage, saved and can report that my copy works fine! You must have gotten a bad cartridge.

I've heard that Limited Run's customer service can be pretty accommodating, so I expect that they'll replace your copy of the game.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

Nemoide wrote:I've heard that Limited Run's customer service can be pretty accommodating, so I expect that they'll replace your copy of the game.

I've had to contact Limited Run twice, (once for a package that seemingly got lost in the ether, and again for a ruined vinyl) and I can confirm that, yes, they are very helpful. They supposedly keep some extra stock just for such occasions, so I'm sure they've got some replacement carts for him.
Ninjamaster
16-bit

Post by Ninjamaster »

I’ve only purchased a few releases, Dragon's Lair Trilogy Limited (Switch) looks pretty cool! ^^
My collection Updated 2021: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=31763