Games That Have Snow In Them

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ziggy

Games That Have Snow In Them

Post by Ziggy »

Like my other thread of Games That Have Rain In Them, I want to know which games have SNOW in them! If you're in the Northeast then you are probably experiencing a snowstorm right now. There's no better time to play games that have snow in them! Double points for snowing, as opposed to just snow on the ground. There's some games that have ice levels/worlds, but I don't think that counts as snow. Feel free to recommend ice anyway. As usual, the focus is on retro games but feel free to list modern games as well!

I know there's probably way more games with snow in them versus rain. Too many for me to possibly list them all! So here are some examples from my favorite games. What are YOUR favorite examples of snow in games?

Donkey Kong Country - The first DKC has one of the best examples of snow in a retro game, if not THE best. One of the worlds takes place on a snowy mountain peak, and almost every level is snow or winter themed. The first level in this area, Snow Barrel Blast, starts in a very snowy land. As you progress through the level, you pass through a snowstorm! First it starts snowing in the background, and the snow gets progressively heavier until it's snowing in the foreground! There's more snow and ice levels in this area, but Snow Barrel Blast is the best. It had such a lasting impression on me since the first time I played it.

Donkey Kong Country 3 - DKC2 has some ice levels, but unfortunately IIRC it doesn't have any snow levels. DKC3 on the other hand has quite a few snow levels. There's a snow level right in the first world, and then there's the obligatory snowy mountain world later in the game. And at the end of this world, the boss is a snowman that you have to fight by throwing snowballs at him! On top of that, there's the Christmas bonus games cheat (by entering a cheat code on the file select screen, bonus games will have a Christmas theme) which I think is worth mentioning because Christmas and snow tend to go together!

Banished - Banished is an indie town building sim game. Instead of currency, you need to collect resources that you can "spend" on building things. You also manage certain aspects on the citizen's lives. It's a super relaxing game. And it snows in the winter months! Highly recommended if you're into town building sims.

Goldeneye - Goldeneye has the Surface I and II levels, the first taking place during the day and the second taking place at night. Located in snowy Russia, it isn't snowing out but there's tons of snow on the ground! I suppose there's also a version of this level in the remake.

Banjo-Kazooie - Banjo-Kazooie has a snow-themed level. The entire level is covered in snow, there's a huge snowman in the middle of the level, and there's a Christmas theme going on as well.

Diddy Kong Racing - I guess Rare loved their snow/Christmas themed levels, because Diddy Kong Racing also had an area with this type of level.

1080 Snowboarding - While on the N64, I suppose I have to mention this game. I don't believe it snows (as in snowing) in any level, but obviously every level is covered in snow.

Hook - Hook has a level that takes place on a snowy mountain, and it has some great snow music too. In the SNES version, the first level very briefly goes through season changes. You see leaves falling, then some snow (replicating the movie). This season change is missing from the Genesis version though.

Super Empire Strikes Back - The first few levels take place on Hoth, and naturally that means there's snow!

Shadows of the Empire - This Star Wars game also starts on Hoth. First you fight on the surface and take out AT-ATs and AT-STs, then the second level has you going through Echo Base. Taking out an AT-AT with a toe cable, just like in the movie, was such an awesome experience when this game first game out.

Mega Man Games - Lots of Mega Man games have snow levels, and I probably don't even know them all. So I'll just list a few that I do know off the top of my head.

Mega Man X - Chill Penguin

Mega Man 7 - Are there 2 levels that can have snow? I think you can make it snow in Cloud Man's level, IIRC. And then there's Freeze Man's level.

Mega Man X4 - Frost Walrus is a great snow level! But I couldn't find a screenshot to do it justice.

Final Fantasy 6 - What an epic opening!

Alien VS Predator (SNES) - This beat em up has a snow level.

Batman Returns (SNES) - This game follows the movie pretty well, so there's a LOT of snow in it!

Contra (NES/FC) - Stage 5 takes place on a snowy mountain top. The NES version was missing some content that the Famicom version had, and one of those things is animated snow fall in stage 5.

E.V.O. Search for Eden - Each world is an era in time, and one of them takes place during the ice age. Many levels have snow and/or ice.

Top Gear Rally - I know there's many racing games, and probably quite a few that have snow, but this was always one of my favorites.

Super Mario (series) - The Mario series has lots of snow levels, too many to list. So here are some screen shots!

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Tecmo Super Bowl (SNES) - I'm sure lots of other football games have weather effects, but this was always my favorite. You can select rain or snow, and I think I forgot to mention this one in the rain thread. Oh well.

https://youtu.be/RA0rHm4tM3k?t=271

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - Sonic 3 has a great snow area!

Some bonus GIFs because I love snow...

Ack

Re: Games That Have Snow In Them ?

Post by Ack »

All this, and you left out this guy:

MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I Am Setsuna is the definitive snow game. The entire game is a winter wonderland with a soothing piano soundtrack to match.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Of course, we already discussed Ninja Gaiden 2 in the other thread, but are some more.

Adventure Island 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZJwqI3kNJU&t=4m52s
Secret of Mana has a snow covered forest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pgT_pwt8Rw
There are many ice themed penguin games, like Penguin Land (Master System and MSX) and Antarctic Adventure (ColecoVision and Famicom).
There's Northwall in ActRaiser that the Master has to make go away, and snow appears in the platforming segments:
Kid Icarus has a snow level with an abominable snowman: https://youtu.be/qd8-a0xr294?t=3407
Winter Woods in LoZ: Oracle of Seasons:
Chrono Trigger has snow too in the future: https://youtu.be/2VBAtXQtRW8?t=5661
Not just Diddy Kong Racing, but also Mario Kart 64: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMVIaupGe40
X-Men 2: Clone Wars for the Genesis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVG__rqMH_k
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Cities: Skylines has a snow DLC.

o.pwuaioc wrote:Not just Diddy Kong Racing, but also Mario Kart 64: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMVIaupGe40

Oh, yeah. I tend to forget about Mario Kart 64 because I had Diddy Kong Racing back in the day. I eventually got MK64 sometime in high school, but Diddy Kong Racing will always be my go-to kart racer on the N64 (no that there's anything wrong with MK64).
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

The snow in Spider-Man: Miles Morales is really detailed if you play on PS5 fidelity mode.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Ziggy587 wrote:Oh, yeah. I tend to forget about Mario Kart 64 because I had Diddy Kong Racing back in the day. I eventually got MK64 sometime in high school, but Diddy Kong Racing will always be my go-to kart racer on the N64 (no that there's anything wrong with MK64).

I played MK64 first, but I owned DKR first. But man oh man, I do like DKR and have nostalgia for it, but MK64 to me will always be the better multiplayer racer. I have those tracks down pat.
Lurkei
8-bit

Post by Lurkei »

Pokémon Vega (English) (Japanese) is a FireRed ROM hack that's covered entirely in snow. While being a GBA hack limits its ability to create a cozy winter atmosphere, it does an adequate job here and there, and the music helps a lot. Porcelia Town and especially Lapizula City are standouts.

It's actually one of my favorite Pokémon games and I like it a lot more than some of the official games.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Lurkei wrote:Pokémon Vega (English) (Japanese) is a FireRed ROM hack that's covered entirely in snow. While being a GBA hack limits its ability to create a cozy winter atmosphere, it does an adequate job here and there, and the music helps a lot. Porcelia Town and especially Lapizula City are standouts.

It's actually one of my favorite Pokémon games and I like it a lot more than some of the official games.

I couldn't agree more. It's fantastic. I actually reviewed it a year or two ago.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

TrashPanda

Post by TrashPanda »

First game that always comes to mind is MGS. Not the best looking snow, obviously, and not even the first to have you leaving footprints, but was the first game where enemies notice & follow your snowy footprints. Absolute "wow" moment right there.