Xbox OG third party controllers?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
msimplay
64-bit

Xbox OG third party controllers?

Post by msimplay »

I was wondering were there any third party Xbox OG controllers?
I was playing Street Fighter Anniversary and wow that game is difficult to play using the Xbox S controller.
I had the DUKE controllers before but I don't know where they went.

So any third party controller like a Hori or maybe a controller adapter?

It seems the console was not very well supported that way
Michi
Next-Gen

Re: Xbox OG third party controllers?

Post by Michi »

I know there are generic ones out there that work well. But if you're talking brand name, the only one I've used is the Logitech wireless controller.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

There were a number of them. Notably for your use, there's actually a set of Street Fighter Anniversary controllers that were produced for it, which have the general layout of Saturn controllers. You can still find them new/like new in box for $25-35 on eBay (for example).

The Logitech wireless one is very similar to their nice PS2 models...so if you basically want a PS2 controller for your Xbox, with the black and white buttons crammed in there like they are on the S controller, that'd be one to consider.
msimplay
64-bit

Post by msimplay »

isiolia wrote:There were a number of them. Notably for your use, there's actually a set of Street Fighter Anniversary controllers that were produced for it, which have the general layout of Saturn controllers. You can still find them new/like new in box for $25-35 on eBay (for example).

The Logitech wireless one is very similar to their nice PS2 models...so if you basically want a PS2 controller for your Xbox, with the black and white buttons crammed in there like they are on the S controller, that'd be one to consider.

I have the Street Fighter 15th Anniversary one and it has one of the worst dpads ever.

I'll look into the logitech wireless that may do the trick here thanks

EDIT: Ah those black and white buttons is what makes Street Fighter on the S controller hard to play
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

^ does anyone really use all 6 attack buttons on street fighter, general question btw? I'm not competing or anything, but not to bad. Even the 3do street fighter I can hang fine with 4 buttons.
marurun

Post by marurun »

The designers of street fighter did a decent job, for most characters anyway, in distinguishing between attacks in more ways than just speed and damage. So I would argue that yes, Street Fighter 2 really wants for all 6 buttons being available for easy and equal use.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

marurun wrote:The designers of street fighter did a decent job, for most characters anyway, in distinguishing between attacks in more ways than just speed and damage. So I would argue that yes, Street Fighter 2 really wants for all 6 buttons being available for easy and equal use.

C'mon man I know that technical answer, I wanted to know if majority really need all 6. Maybe thats a different thread.
marurun

Post by marurun »

stickem wrote:
marurun wrote:The designers of street fighter did a decent job, for most characters anyway, in distinguishing between attacks in more ways than just speed and damage. So I would argue that yes, Street Fighter 2 really wants for all 6 buttons being available for easy and equal use.

C'mon man I know that technical answer, I wanted to know if majority really need all 6. Maybe thats a different thread.

I’m sorry, that wasn’t meant to be an answer by technicality. I do legitimately feel hamstrung by playing with a SNES controller, for example, because I have to effectively sacrifice a couple buttons (L and R are just not convenient for a fighting game). I suck at SF2, but I do better when I have all 6 moves at my disposal.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

marurun wrote:
stickem wrote:

I’m sorry, that wasn’t meant to be an answer by technicality. I do legitimately feel hamstrung by playing with a SNES controller, for example, because I have to effectively sacrifice a couple buttons (L and R are just not convenient for a fighting game). I suck at SF2, but I do better when I have all 6 moves at my disposal.

I gotcha! That was just a legit semi-thread hijack question I've wondered, how others play.

Back on topic, og xbox controllers are trash for fighting games. Buttons to stiff and small.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

The only good 3rd party ones I've used are those Logitech wireless ones.
Another option is controller adapters. Convert controllers from other systems to Og Xbox.
I have a Gemini brand PS2 to GC and OgXbox that works great. There's tons of great 3rd party PS2 controllers. I used my modded tekken 5 Hori Real Arcade Pro on it a lot - especially for mame.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage