Recommend a chair for me?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ziggy

Recommend a chair for me?

Post by Ziggy »

My computer desk chair gets a lot of use, and it's getting pretty old and worn out at this point. The leather (or pleather) is ripping on the seat part and the stuffing and foam has been coming out of it. I wanted to replace it a couple of years ago when it was starting to show its first signs of wear, but I have trouble picking out a replacement.

Here's how I use the chair: Mainly at my computer desk, but I very often like to put my feet up on the chair and don't always sit in it normally. That's probably why it eventually ripped. My computer desk is in a somewhat narrow room, maybe only 10 feet wide. Directly behind my computer desk on the opposite wall is a shelf that I keep my PVM and some game consoles on. So when I want to game on my PVM, I just spin my computer desk chair around and use that. So what I'm saying is I'll sometimes sit in it as you normally would sit in an office chair, but more often then not I'm sitting in it with my feet up like you would on a sofa chair.

Speaking of a sofa chair, I had thought about getting a small one to replace the computer chair. I decided against it though because I really need the chair to be on wheels like an office chair is. Using a sofa chair at a computer desk would be annoying, I would think. And when I spin the chair around to use with the PVM, I have to move it a couple of feet closer to the PVM, so that would also be a challenge with a sofa chair.

So what am I looking for? I don't know! But I guess some sort of computer chair that more resembles a sofa chair? It'll most likely have to be a computer chair, but I'm open to suggestions for something else. I wouldn't want something too big, but I guess a small chair is out of the question given the way I like to use it. My current chair is leather (or more likely faux leather) but I think another material would be more preferable. I'm not against leather, but I don't like when it feels cold against my bare skin in the summer with the AC or in the winter when I don't have the room heated.

Here's the other challenge, I know chairs can get wildly expensive so I'm looking for something relatively inexpensive. The less money the better, but I don't want to buy a piece of crap that is uncomfortable and will fall apart in a year.

So, anyone have any suggestions for me?
isiolia
Next-Gen

Re: Recommend a chair for me?

Post by isiolia »

May depend on what you count as expensive, as I suspect plenty of the "gamer chairs" on the market would fit the bill, but the better ones are likely going to run a few hundred bucks or so. I recently got a Secret Lab Titan which has been very nice so far, but again, it was around $400, and going with cloth would be a little more.

Maybe see if there's a place near you that sells used office furniture that might have some luxury executive ones or something.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Depends on just how serious you are about chairs. In terms of nice, supportive chairs, gamer chairs are actually cheaper than super fancy chairs, like Herman Miller stuff. One article I read suggested that if you truly want a nice office chair, you'll pay for one, period. I'm using a mesh chair from Amazon, but I really need better. The problem is ponying up the cash. Now that I work at home, it might be worth the $400 starting price.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

Post by fuctfuct »

MLiG did a setup tour a while back. Cory uses an actual sofa chair with caster wheels added. I've wanted to do something similar for a while. I'm basically in the same position you are in. I use my chair at my desk, and also turn it to my left to play on TVs, or larger monitors. Also, my fake leather chair is missing most of its fake leather, lol. I want to get something breathable next. Many a long gaming session in this chair, and I often feel "stuck" to it at the end of one. But the breathable "meshie" ones look uncomfortable..

I think this is the video.. Youtube isnt working for me ATM so i cant be sure lol.
https://youtu.be/WpYZHMgNY50
jbartbiso3

Post by jbartbiso3 »

I have one of these X Rocker Gaming Chairs https://powerup-gaming.com/2018/03/22/x ... australia/ and I really like it. I’ve had it for 3+ years so far.
Last edited by jbartbiso3 on Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I bought a GTRacer chair, but I haven't put it together, yet. It arrived with the metal frame having damaged the seat covering, so I'm waiting for the company to make good. I'll report back when I know more.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

Post by fuctfuct »

I bought an Ikea MARKUS on sale to hold me over. Actually not bad. The breathability is awesome, but not super comfy. I don't think I'll ever go back to leather, or fake leather, chairs. I always feel gross in them after gaming for a few hours. And the fake ones fall apart.