Are you getting a PS5 or Xbox Series S/X?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else

Are you getting a 9th gen console?

Definitely yes!
31%
Maybe later.
31%
No plans as of right now.
38%

Total votes: 29

Note
Next-Gen

Re: Are you getting a PS5 or Xbox Series S/X?

Post by Note »

RCBH928 wrote:I still have a difficult time telling if a game is ps3, ps4, or ps5. No one would say the same between SNES, N64, and NGC. Anyone else!?

I'm in this same camp, as I can't tell much difference between the PS3/PS4 or the Xbox 360/Xbox One. The leap in graphics in these consoles didn't seem that drastic to me.

For the new consoles, I haven't seen too much gameplay footage, nor have I experienced them in person yet, so I can't really judge. But I'm thinking it may take some time before developers are able to take advantage of their full specs.
msimplay
64-bit

Post by msimplay »

Note wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:I still have a difficult time telling if a game is ps3, ps4, or ps5. No one would say the same between SNES, N64, and NGC. Anyone else!?

I'm in this same camp, as I can't tell much difference between the PS3/PS4 or the Xbox 360/Xbox One. The leap in graphics in these consoles didn't seem that drastic to me.

For the new consoles, I haven't seen too much gameplay footage, nor have I experienced them in person yet, so I can't really judge. But I'm thinking it may take some time before developers are able to take advantage of their full specs.

It won't be now because the visual quality has been there for a long time now it's just nit picky things the end result may look the same or similar @ baked lighting vs ray tracing

Also this generation is exactly the same as the last I've had a PC that does 240hz 1440p or 60hz 4K with an SSD all of last generation.
Compare that to now the consoles are only just doing that I think their new buzzwords are SSD, 120fps and 1440p, 4k60

That aside it's a good thing it means everything will load faster and less pop in of objects when it open world environments as a baseline, small things is where we will see improvements from here on out.

I think each subsequent generation always seeks to resolve issues of the last generation I think I used to hear a lot about frame tearing during the 360 generation but that's gone now for the most part.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I got my PS5 yesterday. It would have just barely fit in my entertainment center horizontally. I didn't think it would get enough air flow that way so I took out a shelf and used it vertically. I know the media has been all over how big this thing is. They are not exaggerating (for the most part).

I read up on common issues that are popping up and I avoided migrating my PS4 game data. I reinstalled a few PS4 games via disc and so far all is well. I copied my saves to a USB drive and moved them over via the front USB port. I've heard of some people having issues with the rear USB ports. I'm also avoiding Rest Mode for the time being because that seems to cause problems with some PS5 games on some systems.

I played Astro's playroom last night and it was pretty fun for a tech demo game. I think it is mainly there to show you what can be done with the Dualsense controller. And I have to admit, the adaptive triggers are a neat feature. Other than Astro's playroom, I played some FFVII Remake since that is probably the best looking PS4 game I have. It looked and ran great but it did so on my PS4 Pro as well. Load times seemed like they were improved a good deal as I installed it to the SSD.

I got Miles Morales and Demon's Souls but I'm waiting on those as Christmas presents. I'm hoping at least one of my PS4 games gets a PS5 upgrade patch in the near future. I'm thinking it might happen for God of War.

I'm definitely going to have to manage my storage space for a while until PS5 compatible SSDs hit the market. I know I can use an external hard drive for PS4 games but I am really digging the extra speed the SSD gives. I'll just have to be choosy about which games stay on the SSD when I am not actively playing them.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

msimplay wrote:It won't be now because the visual quality has been there for a long time now it's just nit picky things the end result may look the same or similar @ baked lighting vs ray tracing

Things on the graphics side has diminishing returns as I think we all can agree that PS3 generation games still look awesome. I said this before but, I wonder if the new hardware can be put to use into something other than graphics something like more realistic physics or a 1000 player battle.

Also I am not hearing too much about VR headsets, it needed a beefy hardware and XSX/PS5 are seriously beefy.

bmoc wrote:I got my PS5 yesterday. It would have just barely fit in my entertainment center horizontally. I didn't think it would get enough air flow that way so I took out a shelf and used it vertically. I know the media has been all over how big this thing is. They are not exaggerating (for the most part).

I played Astro's playroom last night and it was pretty fun for a tech demo game. I think it is mainly there to show you what can be done with the Dualsense controller. And I have to admit, the adaptive triggers are a neat feature. Other than Astro's playroom, I played some FFVII Remake since that is probably the best looking PS4 game I have. It looked and ran great but it did so on my PS4 Pro as well. Load times seemed like they were improved a good deal as I installed it to the SSD.

I got Miles Morales and Demon's Souls but I'm waiting on those as Christmas presents. I'm hoping at least one of my PS4 games gets a PS5 upgrade patch in the near
I'm definitely going to have to manage my storage space for a while until PS5 compatible SSDs hit the market. I know I can use an external hard drive for PS4 games but I am really digging the extra speed the SSD gives. I'll just have to be choosy about which games stay on the SSD when I am not actively playing them.

I find it funny they still ship and "in-game" demo :lol:

How is the controller? I always felt Xbox controllers are better especially for FPS while PS controllers maybe felt better for platformers.

Do you have to install every game for it to work or can you run off the BD? I am not sure how its on the newer systems but PS3 games didn't bother me with loading times.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

RCBH928 wrote:
I find it funny they still ship and "in-game" demo :lol:

How is the controller? I always felt Xbox controllers are better especially for FPS while PS controllers maybe felt better for platformers.

Do you have to install every game for it to work or can you run off the BD? I am not sure how its on the newer systems but PS3 games didn't bother me with loading times.

I like the Dualsense better than than the Dualshock 4. It feels a good bit heftier and has better curvature. Other than the placement of the left analog stick & dpad, it feels more like an Xbox controller than a Playstation controller. I don't do a lot of FPS on consoles. I tend to prefer PC for that. I don't really have a preference of Xbox vs PlayStation controllers when it come to FPS games. I suck at them equally. :lol:

Yes, you do have to install every game just as you did with the PS4. After install, the disc basically becomes a license check that you own the game.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

RCBH928 wrote:Do you have to install every game for it to work or can you run off the BD? I am not sure how its on the newer systems but PS3 games didn't bother me with loading times.

MS and Sony have standardized a full install since 8th gen, and their new machines require games designed for them be installed to the fast SSD storage. You can still use a USB hard drive for last gen games though.

The sheer storage bandwidth that the new machines have is a major improvement that's not going to be seen in screenshots. Trying to pull data from a Blu-ray disc would be a massive bottleneck. It was even for the PS3 or 360 too, they simply designed around it...and that was when they were filling maybe 256MB of memory with textures (all the PS3 had), rather than gigabytes. Blu-ray drives have gotten faster since then, but not that much faster. The PS3 had a 2x drive (9MB/sec), PS4 a 6x (27MB/sec)...not sure what the PS5 has, but I think the highest out there is still 16x which is 72MB/sec...though it's just as likely that the PS5 and Series X are simply using something sufficient for 4k playback.

Compare that to pulling somewhere between 2.4 (Series X uncompressed) to 9 (PS5 compressed) gigabytes of data a second from the SSD. It makes a whole lot more sense to design things around that.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

isiolia wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:Do you have to install every game for it to work or can you run off the BD? I am not sure how its on the newer systems but PS3 games didn't bother me with loading times.

MS and Sony have standardized a full install since 8th gen, and their new machines require games designed for them be installed to the fast SSD storage. You can still use a USB hard drive for last gen games though.

The sheer storage bandwidth that the new machines have is a major improvement that's not going to be seen in screenshots. Trying to pull data from a Blu-ray disc would be a massive bottleneck. It was even for the PS3 or 360 too, they simply designed around it...and that was when they were filling maybe 256MB of memory with textures (all the PS3 had), rather than gigabytes. Blu-ray drives have gotten faster since then, but not that much faster. The PS3 had a 2x drive (9MB/sec), PS4 a 6x (27MB/sec)...not sure what the PS5 has, but I think the highest out there is still 16x which is 72MB/sec...though it's just as likely that the PS5 and Series X are simply using something sufficient for 4k playback.

Compare that to pulling somewhere between 2.4 (Series X uncompressed) to 9 (PS5 compressed) gigabytes of data a second from the SSD. It makes a whole lot more sense to design things around that.

Oh...so this is why they ship them with state of the art major SSD storage. I thought they did it to make it an incentive that this is "NEXT GEN! it has a lot of SSD!". I didn't know you had to install it I totally skipped PS4 generation. I thought it was an option to make it a tad faster. Now that 800GB totally sucks it will hold just about 6 games! Doesn't sound so large any more.

I can't process 9GB transfer per second, this is to much for my brain. Thats like 2 complete ps2 games in a .......second! PS3 256MB of memory is still mind boggling. People today say you need 8GB minimum to browse the internet with multiple tabs, PS3 with 256MB ran GTA V!
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I have both the Series X and the PS5. Overall, I prefer the PS5 - I think it's much more stylish than Microsoft's mini fridge/cinder block, and the controller is just out of this world - but that's not to say that the Series X is a bad console by any means. The Series X does backwards compatibility much better. There's no reason that PS5 can't emulate PS1 or PS2 games even if the cel processor of the PS3 is too much, but at least it does PS4. Xbox Series X, on the other hand, is fully compatible with Xbox One (PS5 doesn't even have *full* PS4 compatibility) as well as a slew of 360 and Xbox games. They both support plugging in USB hard drives from your last gen systems to run games via backwards compatibility, and Series X handles this better; when I plugged in the drive from my Xbox One X, my Series X had every recognized, organized, and ready to play within seconds. When I did the same with my PS5 using the drive from my PS4, it had a mild seizure, listed every game as "Unknown Game," and then straight up froze forcing me to hard reset. When the system rebooted, it had every game recognized and organized, but even overlooking the few games that are inexplicably incompatible with PS5, I shouldn't have had to do that in the first place.

As I said, overall, I prefer the PS5, but the Series X definitely does backwards compatibility better overall. There is a major blow against the Series X in my mind, though, and that's the games. There are no Series X games. Literally. None. There are plenty of Xbox One games that get an enhancement patch downloaded, but that's not a Series X game; that's an enhanced Xbox One game. There aren't a lot of PS5 games (by this, I mean games developed specifically for PS5, not games like Call of Duty that are clearly developed for PS4 and Xbox One and just enhanced), but there are a few - Demon's Souls and Astro's Playhouse, for example - and even the cross-gen games have a specifically labeled PS5 version on store shelves instead of just buying an Xbox One version and downloading an upgrade patch. I'm glad they're supporting those upgrade patches, so don't misunderstand this as a criticism of that. What I'm criticizing is that there isn't one single game actually made for Series X/S. To my knowledge, this is the first system ever released without a single game actually exclusive to that system generation. To the collector in me, that's a cardinal offense.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:What I'm criticizing is that there isn't one single game actually made for Series X/S. To my knowledge, this is the first system ever released without a single game actually exclusive to that system generation. To the collector in me, that's a cardinal offense.

I keep thinking Microsoft is abandoning the hardware competition and concentrating on game sales and streaming services across all platforms. Who launches hardware without games for it? Who would buy that hardware? The recently purchased more game studios which makes me think its all about the software for them now.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

RCBH928 wrote:I keep thinking Microsoft is abandoning the hardware competition and concentrating on game sales and streaming services across all platforms. Who launches hardware without games for it? Who would buy that hardware? The recently purchased more game studios which makes me think its all about the software for them now.

MS is certainly focusing more on Xbox as a platform and service. They're keeping big first-party titles working on the Xbox One as well for another year or two, and pushing Games Pass as well. They don't have a big exclusive because they didn't try to have one. They'd probably be more likely to make it available on Games Pass first day anyway.

It's not necessarily abandoning hardware competition though. It's just different. They're offering a yet-better high end experience, and an improved standard tier...same as you'd get out of new iPhones or something. Folks that are still happy with their One X or something will probably have a yet-nicer upgrade in 2-3 years or something. :lol: