Are you getting a PS5 or Xbox Series S/X?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else

Are you getting a 9th gen console?

Definitely yes!
31%
Maybe later.
31%
No plans as of right now.
38%

Total votes: 29

ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: Are you getting a PS5 or Xbox Series S/X?

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I've had Playstation 5 (with the disc drive, of course) and Xbox Series X preordered since basically minute one; I was stalking the hell out of Fat Kid Deals Alerts. I'm a technophile, so I LOVE early adopting and have since I've been financially independent. I got the 3DS, New 3DS XL, Wii U, Switch, PS4, PS4 Pro, PSVR, Xbox One, and Xbox One X all on day one and will continue that trend with PS5 and Series X (and "Switch Pro" if the rumors end up being true).
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

I figure I'll get a Switch and maybe a PS4 eventually. If I get a PS5 or modern Xbox, I'm guessing it might be next decade.
It would probably be more likely that my son might push for something when he becomes a pre-teen in like 4 years. But he's all about Nintendo and classic Sega right now.
Then there's mobile gaming and the possibility of PC. Modern non-Nintendo consoles just don't interest me whatsoever.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

racketboy wrote:[My son is] all about Nintendo and classic Sega right now.

Proof you're raising him right.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

So I saw a review of PS5, how does the trigger technology work by becoming more resistant throughout the game? I feel these things are very prone to failure. Cool tech. I feel this is better than the vibration that many games misused making it feel like holding one of those electric shock arcade games.

I still have a difficult time telling if a game is ps3, ps4, or ps5. No one would say the same between SNES, N64, and NGC. Anyone else!?
marurun

Post by marurun »

I saw a controller breakdown. The trigger is attached to a gear that moves against a screw gear. There is a small motor that can apply counter-torque to the screw gear. Quite a creative solution.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

RCBH928 wrote:
I still have a difficult time telling if a game is ps3, ps4, or ps5. No one would say the same between SNES, N64, and NGC. Anyone else!?

I havent seen enough ps5 to say, but from what I have seen the jump between ps4 and 5 is not huge right now and you really need the right tech to experience it from what I have heard. I'm sure this will change as the system ages but I definitely agree that we don't get the huge differences that we used to in hardware releases.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

marurun wrote:I saw a controller breakdown. The trigger is attached to a gear that moves against a screw gear. There is a small motor that can apply counter-torque to the screw gear. Quite a creative solution.

So the force of my finger meets the force of the internal gear? hmmm...sounds like formula for a break down.

pook99 wrote:I havent seen enough ps5 to say, but from what I have seen the jump between ps4 and 5 is not huge right now and you really need the right tech to experience it from what I have heard. I'm sure this will change as the system ages but I definitely agree that we don't get the huge differences that we used to in hardware releases.

I saw the ray tracing thing, its cool and all but I wouldn't pay more just to get that. I bet most people if you don't tell them will not notice it.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

RCBH928 wrote:I saw the ray tracing thing, its cool and all but I wouldn't pay more just to get that. I bet most people if you don't tell them will not notice it.

People would likely notice it either way, just maybe not necessarily realize it's ray tracing versus baked in stuff.

That said, PS3 to PS5 is quite noticeable. Difference between Demon's Souls original to remaster is pretty significant.

Going from PS4, less so, but there's only a couple or so titles only for PS5 yet right? Most stuff, as with Series X, is on both, and the difference between the Pro/X and new machines likely isn't super huge just in screenshots (jumping to 60+ fps or something would be).
msimplay
64-bit

Post by msimplay »

I would but not at launch lets see what's worth buying first so far backwards compatibility and enhanced ports of older games.

I have a PC that does all that already so in no rush to purchase PS5 or XSX
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

isiolia wrote:People would likely notice it either way, just maybe not necessarily realize it's ray tracing versus baked in stuff.

That said, PS3 to PS5 is quite noticeable. Difference between Demon's Souls original to remaster is pretty significant.

Going from PS4, less so, but there's only a couple or so titles only for PS5 yet right? Most stuff, as with Series X, is on both, and the difference between the Pro/X and new machines likely isn't super huge just in screenshots (jumping to 60+ fps or something would be).

If you put them side by side you will be, but if you showed me a random image like this one, I can't tell which generation it is from and the only reason I would know its not ps5 is because far in the background the image is blurry. The amount of texture is the give away.