Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: Best exclusives per console still?

by fastbilly1 Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:25 pm

Then Dreamcast will be next. I was originally thinking of N64 when I came up with the idea. But the NES will be an interesting snapshot
opa
64-bit

by opa Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:39 pm

I'd be curious to see someone's Genesis/MD list. It seems like the Genesis has had ports and compilations just about every year or so for the past twenty years.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:18 pm

So many of the DC’s best games are arcade ports, and the remainder were often ported to other systems. The only good, “true” DC exclusive I could think of was Seaman, but even that received a PS2 port in Japan. Accordingly, I can’t think of any DC games for this list!

opa wrote:I'd be curious to see someone's Genesis/MD list. It seems like the Genesis has had ports and compilations just about every year or so for the past twenty years.

This is true, but there are still a ton of first- and third-party games that never made it off the system. Moreover, the system has an extensive library, and I suspect I could come up with a lengthy list of solid exclusives.
marurun

by marurun Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:32 pm

Toy Commander is a true DC exclusive, but there are a few others.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:23 pm

the DC was basically completely mined of its best titles at least 3-4 years ago: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50890
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:43 pm

I was just thinking about that thread......

We'll always have Napple Tale.......
BomberDino

by BomberDino Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:05 pm

I feel games that did a good job integrating the VMU can still count as somewhat exclusive. I'm playing the GCN Sonic Adventures right now, and the GBA integration is still different from the VMU. For one, VMUs were a lot easier to carry around. But overall, it's similar, so maybe that's not a great example. I'm not up-to-date on the later ports. Maybe they send chao to an app on your iPhone for similar integration. I guess I just really liked VMUs.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:37 pm

BomberDino wrote:I feel games that did a good job integrating the VMU can still count as somewhat exclusive. I'm playing the GCN Sonic Adventures right now, and the GBA integration is still different from the VMU. For one, VMUs were a lot easier to carry around. But overall, it's similar, so maybe that's not a great example. I'm not up-to-date on the later ports. Maybe they send chao to an app on your iPhone for similar integration. I guess I just really liked VMUs.

True. I struggled with this too. The DC versions of some games have exclusive content, features, etc. (The DC version of Daytona USA has a lot of extra content, for example.) At what point do all of those extra features make the game an exclusive? (Is Daytona USA 2001 it’s own game? Or, is it just a really, really enhanced port?)
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:15 pm

There are still some Dreamcast exclusives that are worthwhile:
AeroWings 1
Armada
Blue Stinger
Bomberman Online
Cool Cool Toon
Flag to Flag
Elemental Gimmick Gear
Frame Grid
Iron Aces
Metropolis Street Racer
Sega sports series 2k and 2k1
Ooga Booga
Pen Pen TriIcelon
POD2
Planet Ring
Record of Lodoss War
Sega Swirl
Super Magnetic Neo
Timestalker
Toy Commander
Toy Racer
opa
64-bit

by opa Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:48 pm

Maybe this is controversial but Carrier on DC doesn't entirely suck for a clunky horror title.
Return to General Gaming