Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Best exclusives per console still?

by fastbilly1 Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:08 pm

So this is something I have been tossing around for a while and it is a bit of an undertaking, but in this era of backwards compatibility and digital storefronts with official ports what are the best games still left on one console? This is a complete shakeup of best of lists and I think is an important distinction going forward to highlight the games that are for lack of a better phrase "left behind."

Yes we will end up with alot of licensed games and garbage. So lets shift through whats left and come up with some lists of games that are still worth playing and only playable on one console - region does not matter.

For example on the N64, it takes out all of the Marios except Mario Party 1, Mario Party 3, and the 64 DD art titles. Because all of the others were released in the Virtual Console or, in the case of Dr Mario 64, compilation discs.

Thoughts, comments, get off the stage?
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Best exclusives per console still?

by prfsnl_gmr Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:51 pm

I think this is a great idea. With what console would you like me to start? NES?
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:40 pm

NES is always a good starting point. And this will have some back and forth because I dont think something like this has been compiled previously so data is going to be alittle tricky. For example something like Dick Tracy on the NES had about half of the game ported to the GB (the sidescrolling part not the driving part) so does it count?

To get us started here are a few games still exclusive to the NES:
3d World Runner
Adventures of Bayou Billy
Amagon
Anticipation
Athletic World
Barker Bills Trick shooting
Base Wars
Dance Aerobics
Street Cop
Super Team Games
Short Order
Wacky Races
Whompem
Wolverine
World Class Trackmeet

And out of those:
3d World Runner, Adventures of Bayou Billy, and Base Wars are solid games. The powerpad games - Dance Aerobics, Street Cop, Super TEam Games, Short Order, and World Class Trackmeet are also decent
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:43 pm

fastbilly1 wrote:So this is something I have been tossing around for a while and it is a bit of an undertaking, but in this era of backwards compatibility and digital storefronts with official ports what are the best games still left on one console? This is a complete shakeup of best of lists and I think is an important distinction going forward to highlight the games that are for lack of a better phrase "left behind."

Yes we will end up with alot of licensed games and garbage. So lets shift through whats left and come up with some lists of games that are still worth playing and only playable on one console - region does not matter.

For example on the N64, it takes out all of the Marios except Mario Party 1, Mario Party 3, and the 64 DD art titles. Because all of the others were released in the Virtual Console or, in the case of Dr Mario 64, compilation discs.

Thoughts, comments, get off the stage?

Games released on virtual console for Wii are no longer available, so does that make games that were on that digital service but no other retrospectively exclusive again?
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:59 pm

To me that is a different list. Because yes the storefront is gone, but the game was released on another platform.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:09 pm

These are all solid, and I think they’re still exclusive to the NES:

Anticipation
Base Wars
Bucky O’Hare
Clash at Demonhead
Code Name: Viper
Contra Force
Flintstones: Rescue of Dino &Hoppy
G.I. Joe
G.I. Joe: The Atlantis Factor
Goonies II
Guardian Legend
Little Samson
Low G Man
Metal Storm
Mike Tyson’s Punch-Out!! (Still the only way to fight Iron Mike!)
Power Blade 1-2
Pro Wrestling
Shatterhand
Snake’s Revenge
Tecmo NBA Basketball
TMNT III
Tiny Toon Adventures 1-2
Totally Rad
Ultimate Stuntman
Town & Country Surf Designs
Vice: Project Doom
Wizards & Warriors 1-3
Wolverine

Am I off on any of these? We’re any re-released? Are any of these bad? I recall all of these fondly from my childhood.
Last edited by prfsnl_gmr on Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:34 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:These are all solid, and I think they’re still exclusive to the NES:

Anticipation
Base Wars
Bucky O’Hare
Clash at Demonhead
Code Name: Viper
Contra Force
Flintstones: Rescue of Dino &Hoppy
G.I. Joe
G.I. Joe: The Atlantis Factor
Goonies II
Guardian Legend
Little Samson
Low G Man
Metal Storm
Mike Tyson’s Punch-Out!! (Still the only way to fight Iron Mike!)
Power Blade 1-2
Pro Wrestling
Shatterhand
Snake’s Revenge
Tecmo NBA Basketball
TMNT III
Tiny Toon Adventures 1-2
Totally Rad
Ultimate Stuntman
Town & Country Surf Designs
Vice: Project Doom
Wizards & Warriors 1-3
Wolverine

Am I off on any of these? We’re any re-released? Are any of these bad? I recall all of these fondly from my childhood.

Vice: Project Doom is now available via the NES library on Switch. I don't know of any of the others being rereleased though.
PresidentLeever
Next-Gen

by PresidentLeever Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:17 am

It seems way more convenient to just emulate and pick stuff up if you happen to notice it on an online store you have access to if you already aren't going for real hardware, until companies stop being stubborn and just make them available anywhere.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:36 pm

Emulation is always the easiest route. But this is partially an experiment to see what actually is left on a consle, and partially for collectors.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:49 pm

I suspect that the most interesting systems to do this for might be some of the more modern platforms. With hardware being more similar, they're more likely to be ported, and with the games being more modern there will be less stuff lots to rights limbo that can't be ported because no-one knows who owns it. Also less stuff lost to source code being lost as well.

I would be willing to bet for example that it'd be way easier to pull together a long list of NES or Game Boy exclusives than say, Dreamcast.

That said, I guess a lot of older consoles have many of the big name games available now via VC or collections.
Return to General Gaming