Universal Game Cases have been discontinued :' (

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ziggy

Universal Game Cases have been discontinued :' (

Post by Ziggy »

So apparently the Universal Game Cases have been discontinued. This really sucks. For years I had thought about getting them, but my collection was too large so it would have cost too much and taken up too much space. But now that I'm parting with 50-75% of my game collection, I decided I could finally get UGC for the 25% that I'm keeping. Well, now I wont be able to because they have been discontinued. :(

https://www.retrorgb.com/rip-universal-game-cases.html

There are other cases, such as Custom Game Cases and BitBox, but UGC had two main benefits over them. One, UGC fit a variety of game carts. So say I need 75 for SNES carts and 25 for N64 carts, I could purchase 100 UGC and be good. But with the two above mentioned alternatives, the cases are specific to a specific cart. So if I purchase 100 SNES cases to get that price break discount, if I have 25 left over I wont be able to do anything with them. And two, UGC was the cheaper option. Even with quantity discounts, the two mentioned alternatives are much more expensive. Also, the BitBoxes require a strap to hold in an instruction manual which is an additional cost. It looks like without the strap it would be annoying to close the case with a manual (and possibly damaging the manual).
marurun

Re: Universal Game Cases have been discontinued :' (

Post by marurun »

If you feel like doing those Custom cases, consider going in with someone. A group purchase might make it worthwhile.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

That is really unfortunate. I think I have a handful of them in the attic just in case I ever get a few more cartridge games. I'll have to go look now.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Its a shame, I bought 40 for N64 games and they are pretty perfect
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I have 5 UGCs that have been modified for NES games that I am not going to need. Free to a good home if you pay for shipping.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

Zig, I also have a few ugcs laying around that I don't need. They're boxed up somewhere so I'm not sure of the exact quantity, but there's probably 25-30 of them I think? I can locate them to give you an exact count if you like.

They are also yours for the cost of shipping if you want them. Just let me know.

Also, since you're talking about how manuals fit in those other cases (and just in case you don't already know), ugcs do not have clips or tabs of any kind to hold manuals. They simply rest on top of the cartridge.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

bmoc wrote:I have 5 UGCs that have been modified for NES games that I am not going to need. Free to a good home if you pay for shipping.

CFFJR wrote:Zig, I also have a few ugcs laying around that I don't need. They're boxed up somewhere so I'm not sure of the exact quantity, but there's probably 25-30 of them I think? I can locate them to give you an exact count if you like.

They are also yours for the cost of shipping if you want them. Just let me know.

Wow, thanks! I think I may take you two up on that offer!

CFFJR wrote:Also, since you're talking about how manuals fit in those other cases (and just in case you don't already know), ugcs do not have clips or tabs of any kind to hold manuals. They simply rest on top of the cartridge.

Right, but it looks like it would be easy to close the UGC with the manual inside. The BitBox case looks like it might not be easy to close if you don't have the strap.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

That's a bummer. I appreciate these smaller companies putting out products geared towards retro gaming. There's not too many of them around, so it sucks to see one go.

Glad a few forum members have some lying around for Ziggy, if he needs em!
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

Ziggy587 wrote:Right, but it looks like it would be easy to close the UGC with the manual inside. The BitBox case looks like it might not be easy to close if you don't have the strap.

Oh, ok, I got it now. Well you're definitely right about the ugcs. Man, I read your first post twice before I replied and I still managed to misunderstand that! Sorry.

Ziggy587 wrote:Wow, thanks! I think I may take you two up on that offer!

Cool. PM me anytime.

I did pull out the box and I have 28 cases, by the way.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Syndicate
32-bit

Post by Syndicate »

...I'm a Custom Games Cases guy, but the lack of alternatives in the marketspace sucks.