Do you forget about your digital purchases?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ziggy

Do you forget about your digital purchases?

Post by Ziggy »

I do. I'm not sure why. Games that I purchase a physical copy of, I remember that I own them. And even though I have a huge backlog, I'm still aware of the physical games that I'm not playing. But my digital purchases, I tend to forget about most of them. I don't know why that is. But every time I scroll through my Steam or GoG library I'm constantly seeing games and thinking, "Oh, yeah! THAT game!"

I think some of it may be because most of the games I purchase from Steam of GoG are on sale. These days I rarely buy something that isn't on sale. If I want a game and it's not currently on sale, I put it on my wish list and wait for it to go on sale. So when a sale comes around, I usually purchase more than 1 game at a time. So my point is, when I purchase these digital games they're in bulk for cheap (more or less) so maybe I don't put any "value" on them in my mind. And then also, those games might have been on my wish list for a while. I might have been pumped for the game when I added it to the wish list, but by the time it was on sale and I purchased it I was no longer pumped to play it.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: Do you forget about your digital purchases?

Post by Anapan »

All the time. A few times this year I've even heard about a good game, go to buy it, and realize I already bought it at some point. At least I'm supporting creators that make games I would like if I ever played them :P
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

This is rare but sometimes I forget what physical games I have. I rarely buy any new retro games these days and sometimes I'll be thinking about buying one for a while and researching prices but then I don't pull the trigger and forget about it. Then I'll remember a few months later and forget if I actually bought it or not since I spent so much time thinking about buying it.

The only time I forget digital games is if I got them for free.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I forget nothing. My mind is as robust as my physique.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

I forget everything but I am more likely to forget digital. I tend to only buy digital on steam because if I buy it on any other platform I will 100% forget that I own it, even with steam I tend to buy games in bulk during sales so it is very hard to keep track of what I buy and unless I play the game I will frequently forget what I bought. I tend to forget single purchases far less, I know I have not bought panzer paladin yet, but when I do, I will not forget that I have because it is a game that is on my radar and I will probably buy in a week or 2.

I am slightly less forgetful for physical games, but whenever i visit a retro game store I always have my phone with my google docs of all the physical games that I own, and even with that I still occasionally slip up and buy a double.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

I rarely buy digital games, I've probably bought about 10 digital games total. The only platform I purchased them from was Xbox Live Arcade on my 360.

I mostly purchased games that were co-op that my girlfriend and I could play through together, as we both like beat 'em ups. Such as Castle Crashers, Guardian Heroes, and Dungeon and Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara. One exception was I purchased Ikaruga a few years ago, as I had an itch to play it one night, but don't have a physical copy on the DC yet.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

You know, when I made this thread I was only thinking about my Steam and GoG digital purchases. I completely forgot about my console digital purchases! At least with Steam and GoG, I remember that I have a ton of games for them I just forget what they all are. But for my console digital purchases, I just forget about them all together!
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

I'm more likely to forget about digital purchases due to bundles, very cheap or free stuff, and sheer volume. I forget about physical games in my collection too, especially ones acquired similarly - cheap impulse buys and the like. Or just, over time, if I haven't really looked at my collection in a while. :lol:

More deliberate purchases tend to stick out more regardless of medium.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Ziggy587 wrote:You know, when I made this thread I was only thinking about my Steam and GoG digital purchases. I completely forgot about my console digital purchases! At least with Steam and GoG, I remember that I have a ton of games for them I just forget what they all are. But for my console digital purchases, I just forget about them all together!

That's funny. Being a Mac user and having an outdated laptop for a long period of time, until just a few months ago, kept me from purchasing games on Steam and GOG. Every once in a while I come across a game I'm interested in purchasing on Steam but I check the specs and realize the game isn't compatible on Mac. Recent examples are Phantasy Star Online 2 and Beat Rush Cyberfunk.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

Ziggy587 wrote:You know, when I made this thread I was only thinking about my Steam and GoG digital purchases. I completely forgot about my console digital purchases! At least with Steam and GoG, I remember that I have a ton of games for them I just forget what they all are. But for my console digital purchases, I just forget about them all together!

I was thinking along the same lines, I generally don't like to buy console digital games except for the switch, although I do prefer physcial on switch, I also like having access to a large library of games that I can play on the go at anytime.

I do have a decent number of xbox 360 digital games from the indie game scene, most of which are impossible to get nowadays since the indie game marketplace is closed and the many of them have never been ported to any other console