Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Better with (each) age

by o.pwuaioc Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:50 am

Often a classic is so good, that what follows pales in comparison. What I want to know though is the opposite. What games' sequels were so good yet stuck to the formula so carefully that there's little reason to play the original? Or what can properly be skipped without really missing much. Any thoughts?

Going through what I own, I'd say these fit the bill:

Racers! Racers are so formulaic, that the original often isn't nearly as good. These include Burnout 3, Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2, XGIII (or for Ex XGRA), and Road Rash II.

Sports! I don't own that many sports games anymore. They really lost their appeal to me the older I got (opposite of many people I know), but there's little reason to own the original Madden or the original NBA 2K2. For me NBA Street Vol. 2 obviates the need to own Vol. 1. I'm others have their own opinions on other series.

While I never played Thunder Force I, Thunder Force II never really attracted my interest like Thunder Force III and IV.

Streets of Rage 2 and Final Fight 2 mean the originals are unnecessary and a chore to play in comparison.

The original Street Fighter II doesn't compare to Turbo or Super.

Game series to consider: Gauntlet, Golden Axe, Diablo, and Civilization.

No doubt everyone will have their own opinion on this, so what are your picks?
PresidentLeever
Next-Gen

Re: Better with (each) age

by PresidentLeever Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:06 am

It was discussed about a year ago:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=52893&p=1151685&hilit=obsolete#p1149362

Golden Axe - Well, I think the first one has somewhat better pacing, enemy designs and definitely the best OST in the series. The arcade sequel is better in some ways but barely has any pits to throw enemies in (in fact you can't even throw them into each other) and the OST kinda sucks in comparison.

Diablo - Haven't really played 3 yet. I prefer the setting in 1 with the one town and large dungeon, the in-game atmosphere (2 feels more gamey), the more important shrines and that it's not quite as loot-focused+there's less useless gear. 2 is the better MP game, it plays faster and of course is a bit deeper with its skill trees and gear sets.

Final Fight - Haven't beaten 2 but it's really bland by comparison in terms of the visuals and music.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:09 am

o.pwuaioc wrote:Racers! Racers are so formulaic, that the original often isn't nearly as good. These include Burnout 3, Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2, XGIII (or for Ex XGRA), and Road Rash II.

Yeah, most racing games seem to be out done by their sequels. Like on the SNES, is there any point on playing the first Top Gear when you can play Top Gear 2? But here's an interesting example: Top Gear Rally and Top Gear Rally 2 on the N64 were made by different developers. I think the first game has some charm that's missing form the second, just something that one developer had over the other. So the first one is absolutely still worth playing.

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

I want to buy Universal Game Cases, if you have any spares please PM me! I'm looking to only deal with members that have good BST feedback on this forum.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:14 am

PresidentLeever wrote:It was discussed about a year ago:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopi ... e#p1149362

Ha! Thanks. Guess this should be closed/merged then.
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:05 pm

I'm sure I said a similar thing on the last thread, but I would say only very few genres completely make their predecessors obsolete. Using your example, while there is no doubt that streets of rage 2 is leagues better than the original, I still play the original fairly often because, even though it is not as strong, it is its own unique experience.

The same logic applies to countless inferior games that I revisit constantly such as tmnt 2 and 3, mega man 1, double dragon 1, castlevania 1, etc

I would say the games that render their predecessors null are games that are more like upgrades than true sequels, the example of street fighter 2 turbo vs OG street fighter 2 is a perfect example of that, as well as stuff like many sports games.
PresidentLeever
Next-Gen

by PresidentLeever Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:49 pm

Yeah and those games are more like remasters or updated versions.

I had a quick go at Thunder Force 2 to remind myself but I do think it's a solid game with enough to make it stand out on its own still. I would just like for it to have manual ship speed adjustment like TF3, and a map feature for the top down levels.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
Return to General Gaming