Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
PresidentLeever
Next-Gen

What to play next? (retro AA & ARPG edition)

by PresidentLeever Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:16 am

I want to brush up on my knowledge of the late 80s-early 90s games in these genres. Will be playing some of these after I finish Within a Deep Forest and that Toejam & Earl remake probably. Which do you like best and which seem like the more important/relevant ones to play today?

D/Generation (AMI/PC, 1991)
Esper Dream (FDS, 1987)(fan translated)
Starflight (PC (1986/MD, 1991 (Remake)) - MD
Paradroid 90 (AMI, 1990/AST)(Remake)
Xak: The Art of Visual Stage (PC-88/PC-98/MSX, 1989/PCE CD, 1992)(fan translated on MSX) - SNES?
Radia Senki: Reimeihen (NES, 1991)
Dungeon Explorer II (PCE CD, 1993)
Little Big Adventure/Relentless: Twinsen's Adventure (PC, 1994/PS1, 1997/iOS, 2014) - steam remaster?
Mystic Towers (PC, 1994)
Dungeon Explorer (PCE, 1989/MCD, 1994)

Moonstone (AMI/PC, 1991)?
Esper Dream 2 (NES, 1992)
Star Control II: The Ur-Quan Masters (PC, 1992/3DO, 1994)
Eggerland Mystery 2 (MSX, 1986)
Willow (NES, 1989)? - Started playing but got bored last time
Shiryou Sensen: War of the Dead Part 2 (MSX, 1988/PC-88, 1989)?
Cowboy Kid (NES, 1991)
Xak II: Rising of the Redmoon (MSX, 1990/PCE CD, 1992)
The Lone Ranger (NES, 1991)
Little Ninja Brothers (NES, 1989)?

The Twisted Tales of Spike McFang (SNES)
Al-Qadim/Al Qadim: The Genie's Curse (PC, 1994)
Xak III: The Eternal Recurrence (PC-98/FMT, 1993/PCE CD, 1994)
StarTropics (NES, 1990)? - w/ hack? Made it about halfway before
Jajamaru Gekimaden: Maboroshi no Kinmajou (NES, 1990)(fan translated)
Ninja Taro/Sengoku Ninja-Kun (GB, 1991)?
Xak: The Tower of Gazzel/"Xak 2.5" (MSX/PC-88/PC-98, 1991)
Super Ninja Boy/Super Chinese World (SNES, 1991)?
Super Chinese World 2: Uchuu Ichibuto Daikai (SNES, 1993)
Heimdall 2 (PCs, 1994)?

There's some more but that seemed like a good place to cut off.

Oh and if you want to link to your review of a game go ahead.
Last edited by PresidentLeever on Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: What to play next? (retro AA & ARPG edition)

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:28 am

The Xak games are phenomenal. Some of the strongest ARPGs of any type, ever. Parts I and II have soundtracks that rival Ys I and II. They may even be better.

The two Esper Dream games are worthy as well. The second one is most certainly better than the first, but you'll want to play both.
Ack

by Ack Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:38 am

Conversely, Super Ninja Boy is...rough. I would go with Bone's recommendations and hit this one up later after a round of good games, because odds are you're gonna find some of it frustrating.

Also, look up the manual for when you get to it. There are some platforming aspects, and you're gonna need to know how to pull off the super jumps.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
PresidentLeever
Next-Gen

by PresidentLeever Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:47 am

Thanks Mr. Bone, that's good to hear. I've been enjoying the music for a while now and they do look pretty nice.

I should've mentioned I have tried Little Ninja Bros on NES in 2-player - It was initially enjoyable and we found the world and characters pretty charming, but it got too grindy after a while. Might use some codes to get through those. Thanks for the heads up.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
PresidentLeever
Next-Gen

by PresidentLeever Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:51 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:The Xak games are phenomenal. Some of the strongest ARPGs of any type, ever. Parts I and II have soundtracks that rival Ys I and II. They may even be better.

Hey, would you say Xak 1 plays better on MSX than SNES?

It's pretty enjoyable on SNES so far, except the hit detection and blocking are weird and the level gating has an odd curve to it where you tend to die in 1-2 hit then have a short "normal" window, then enemies die in 1-2 hits. Somewhere around the middle they also can't really hit you at all if you stand still, they just bounce off you. It's also weird how your sword switches hand when moving right but not otherwise.

I liked being able to go where I wasn't supposed to and get some more advanced gear, the movement and leveling speed, and doing these small quests for NPCs in hostile areas. Music is good on SNES but I think I prefer the chiptune versions.

Edit:
Looking at some vids I think I'll stick with the SNES version since it's a lot smoother and has a tighter camera.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:18 pm

Xak I + II on PCE is the best way to play those games. Unfortunately there's no fan translation.

I like Xak I on Super Famicom but wish it retained the superior bump combat.

If anything, listen to the PCE soundtrack.
PresidentLeever
Next-Gen

by PresidentLeever Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:04 pm

That one looks good too, very fast with nice enemy sprites. Yeah with the dialogue choices that can kill you and repeated fetch quests it'd definitely be hard to play without the translation.

I've listened to and like the chiptune OSTs more overall though it seems to have some good non-redbook ones in it on PCE.
Return to General Gaming