Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
racketboy
Site Admin

Re: What are the “classic” single-player FPS games?

by racketboy Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:17 pm

I'm digging this thread!
Anybody want to help me flesh it into a full-blown guide for the site?

I think if we create some points about what unique aspects set each apart and also chose some of the best console ports for each, that would be some really useful material.

Thoughts?

Also: for what it's worth, even though Unreal Tournament didn't have a typical single player campaign, I still really enjoyed playing it single player against bots. Is that not a strong enough argument to include it? Or maybe as an honorable mention?
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:27 pm

I'd call UT an honorable mention; it's clearly a multiplayer focused game but it throws a decent bone to single player people by having that tournament campaign that gets harder and more frantic over time and they put a lot of effort into the bots. Sort of the transition point where they were still willing to put effort towards the offline experience before we started seeing multiplayer-only games.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:20 pm

OK! I’ve updated the list:

Classic Single-Player FPS Campaigns
Battlezone
MIDI Maze/Faceball 2000
Wolfenstein 3D
Marathon
Doom/Doom II
Duke Nukem 3D
Heretic/Hexen
Quake/Quake II
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
GoldenEye/Perfect Dark
Medal of Honor
Rainbow Six
Half-Life/Half-Life 2
Halo/Halo 2
CoD: Modern Warfare
Borderlands
Far Cry 2
Bioshock

Honorable Mentions
Deus Ex
Blake Stone
System Shock/System Shock 2
Unreal Tournament
Red Faction
Metroid Prime
Portal
Far Cry/Crysis

I added some honorable mentions that keep popping on and off the list. Some of those are only kind-of FPS games. I’d love to help with an article, but I posed the question starting the thread because I have only a limited appreciation for this genre.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:22 pm

That’s ok.
For anybody interested, making a bullet list of characteristics for games is a step in the right direction. We can just collect thoughts in here for a while.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:35 pm

Here are some defining characteristics, to me:

* Single-player campaign
* Played from a first-person perspective
* Gameplay focused on gunplay
* Released more than ten years ago
* Pushed the genre forward with regard to aesthetics, gameplay, or popularity (i.e., it was really influential, really good, or really popular)

Thoughts?
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:44 pm

I don't get why Bioshock is on the list, other than the setting(and I am a big sucker for settings) what was the significance of it?
Also Doom II was just a refined Doom I unless it had more on the multiplayer side of things?
Is Turok on the list because it had open space levels?
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:26 am

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Here are some defining characteristics, to me:

* Single-player campaign
* Played from a first-person perspective
* Gameplay focused on gunplay
* Released more than ten years ago
* Pushed the genre forward with regard to aesthetics, gameplay, or popularity (i.e., it was really influential, really good, or really popular)

Thoughts?

This is helpful, but just to clarify, I was thinking it would be cool if we collected specific bullet points of for each specific game to point out their strengths and what set them apart.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:27 am

RCBH928 wrote:I don't get why Bioshock is on the list, other than the setting(and I am a big sucker for settings) what was the significance of it?
Also Doom II was just a refined Doom I unless it had more on the multiplayer side of things?

I’m far from an expert in the genre, but wouldn’t a good story/setting be a defining feature in Bioshock’s case?
marurun

by marurun Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:32 am

Bioshock’s importance is actually directly inherited from another game: System Shock 2. Levine and company wanted to basically make a spiritual successor to System Shock.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:05 am

RCBH928 wrote:I don't get why Bioshock is on the list, other than the setting(and I am a big sucker for settings) what was the significance of it?

At the very least, Bioshock easily checks the boxes of popularity and critical acclaim. More generally, it took things that the System Shock games already did, and streamlined them into a product that worked on consoles and appealed to a much wider audience. Arguably, its success is what demonstrated that there'd be a market for things like Dishonored or Prey later on, if not the Deus Ex reboots n' all.

Either way, I think it's easy to hold up as a classic in the genre.

For DOOM, it's just a fair bundling up. DOOM II came out not even a year after the original shareware came out, and had a retail version on shelves first... just kind of fair to count them both I'd say. It's a much closer relationship than, say, the Quake and Quake 2 pairing.

Not sure about Turok either. Or, again, Blake Stone. It technically offered floor and ceiling textures for the Wolf3D engine, and an automap...but DOOM launched weeks later. There are so many potential games to pick from that it just doesn't seem to stand out much.
Return to General Gaming