Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Omerta
Next-Gen

Re: What are the “classic” single-player FPS games?

by Omerta Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:12 pm

Looking at my stuff, it doesn’t look like PowerSlave / Exhumed has been mentioned. It’s pretty good in the 32-bit era.

There’s also Left 4 Dead and the sequel. Those ones definitely encourage co-op but are very much playable in solo mode.
"Farewell, good hunter.
May you find your worth
in the waking world."
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:08 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:The list is super-duper subjective. :lol:

Sounds like Quake 2, System Shock/System Shock 2, and Unreal are on, and Blake Stone is off. What about Deus Ex? Should I add it back? If I do, are we starting to slip back in to Metroid Prime territory? Should that be added back?

What about Heretic/Hexen? Did they do much for the genre?

IMO, Deus Ex as a series leans a bit more into RPG or even stealth, same as things like System Shock. However, it's probably also not a bad shooter exactly, unlike some largely similar games like Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines - shooting in that game is miserable without dumping stats into it.

I would say Hexen stands out more for those. The series in genral "added" things like inventory items to use, and some enhancements to the DOOM engine (it has a form of looking up and down as well, for instance), and has a different level structure. Hexen added a choice of character class, enforcing different styles of play for each. Probably the standout for a first person melee title (at least for some classes) at least.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:34 pm

This year's Steam summer sale is live now. It is a great time to get some of these games if you are in the market for them. As usual, steampowered.com is buckling under the increased load. Try again later if it isn't working for you.

I'm probably in for Doom 64 if nothing else. Saw it was $1.49 before the site imploded.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:34 pm

Jagosaurus wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:I removed games like Portal and Unreal Tournament since one isn’t a shooter and the other didn’t have much of a single player campaign.

I think the original Unreal (not UT) is definitely worth a nod.

This LGR vid does a great job of explaining how much of a jump Unreal was from Quake. I know my PC couldn't run it at the time.

https://youtu.be/ZjS6rLKnU0c

Then the impact Epic games had on the industry with the multiple Unreal engines, UT, Gears of War, & Fortnite.

None of this exist without the original Unreal single player FPS.

That fact that Unreal engine is named after it should make it an all time classic, or was the game named after the engine?

Was Unreal more of a graphical/generation jump than Half-Life? They say Half-Life was popular because the story and characters were in game and not level based, but didn't 007 do that first? I remember in 007 you can talk to characters and do missions other than just
mindlessly shooting enemies.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:48 pm

I just recently watched a video that says that Valve devs told Rare devs that Goldeneye had an impact in development of Half Life.

https://youtu.be/M9sOE376tzk?t=472

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

I want to buy Universal Game Cases, if you have any spares please PM me! I'm looking to only deal with members that have good BST feedback on this forum.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:05 pm

isiolia wrote:It'd be a little subjective. For a PC or console gamer, it would be obscure. If you were into Mac gaming at the time, it was nigh ubiquitous. It was probably one of the biggest titles on the Pippin, even :lol:

The point in suggesting it here is that it was ahead of its time. It was incorporating story into the objectives and flow of the game while others were chasing keycards. Had variable physics, had the ability to look up and down, and so on. It came with an editor, and the ability to run custom rules for multiplayer and all that (for which it had voice chat, of all things)... it did end up having an influence on Halo, even if Halo was very originally going to be more of an RTS (spinning off of Myth, Bungie's IP at the time).

This led me to research the game a little bit. I thought it was a commercial failure didn't know it had 2 sequels. The graphics looks amazing for 1994 title puts Doom to shame. I was surprised you can look around the level since its in 2D, I thought because its 2D you can only look in straight line like Doom. I thought its because of 3D you can look around. If a 2D game like Marathon can have multiple levels and look around, whats the advantage of 3D FPS game like Quake brought to the table?
marurun

by marurun Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:18 pm

Marathon can’t technically have standard multi-level areas, but you can approximate it by cheating: placing one room in the map in the same place as another. It is a little more complex than that, but there were some very creative levels using that tech.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:05 pm

Well, the technology used in the background is no business of the player if the results are the same, like an upscaled 1080P BD, its not really 4K but its displaying in 4K :lol:
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:11 am

I think y'all have already listed the "classic" FPS games that defined the genre.

You might consider the addition of Red Faction. It may not be groundbreaking in terms of gameplay, but it added a touch of style during a time when the genre was looking a little repetitive.

I think Deus Ex deserves an honorable mention for popularizing RPG elements in the genre. I see that a few of you are not counting Metroid Prime for being an adventure game. I suppose that's fine, but aren't the adventurous storytelling elements of Half-life 2 and Bioshock the reason why we love those games? Just saying.

If I'm being totally honest, I have a core problem with most first-person games. I feel like I have "tunnel vision" in these games. The camera feels like it's pulled in too tight. This narrow field of view works well in horror games, but otherwise I'd like to see better all around me. I remember that System Shock 2 utilized this "tunnel vision" well by letting you hear enemies coming near you. That added to the tension. Most of the time I feel frustrated with the narrow field of view. In any game that lets me switch from first person to third person (for instance Skyrim) I always choose third person. Otherwise I can't really see what I'm doing.
Are there any FPS games that allow me to pull the camera back or widen my field of view? I have a triple monitor setup on my PC. I would probably enjoy FPS game more if I could see a wider field of view.
Last edited by samsonlonghair on Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:24 am

samsonlonghair wrote:Are there any FPS games that allow me to pull the camera back or widen my field of view? I have a triple monitor setup on my PC. I would probably enjoy FPS game more if I could see a wider field of view.

It's likely you would, as FOV is a key consideration for comfort when playing first person games (or even third person really).

On PC, more games start with a wider FOV, and being able to adjust it further is fairly common. For some, like Quake, it may be a console command or config file thing, but a lot of toggles were for that game. Still, it's literally something that's been tweakable since FPS went full 3D. I think at the time it was usually something people would adjust more for competitive play (very wide to fisheye and see more around them, toggle to very narrow to function as sniper zoom), but still, possible.

It's much less common to find as an adjustment on console version of games, which also set a low standard for standard FOV. Where, say, Quake there shipped with a default FOV of 90, on 4:3 screens, you're more likely to see a FOV of 60-70 even on modern console games (there are some that let you adjust it, like Titanfall 2, but most don't).

To be fair, the "right" FOV is generally more dependent on how much of your actual field of view the screen takes up. A narrower FOV is less likely to cause motion sickness or present a problem if you're looking at it on a TV across the room, as opposed to a monitor a couple feet away. It also has the benefit of making things bigger on screen, slowing down some movement, and so on. So, there are some logical reasons console developers might default to a narrow FOV. However, it also serves to cut down significantly on how much game is on screen to be rendered, and if they're struggling to hit a FPS target already...

Occasionally, this has bled over into PC ports, at least on initial releases (Borderlands, offhand, a slider was added later). Generally though, it's a reason to play FPS on PC if possible.

You can check out comparisons like this one to get an idea of what the common range of adjustment might be. I think we still tend to see a default FOV that leans a little more toward the narrower standards established by consoles, but usually if you can adjust FOV, you can do 120 or so without editing config files. So where, say, Halo is I think 70 degrees on console, you can set it to 120 degrees (in the MCC anyway) on PC.
Return to General Gaming