Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: What are the “classic” single-player FPS games?

by RCBH928 Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:00 pm

You are missing counter strike, which was popular but I also dont know why maybe it introduced competitive play with a goal like capture the flag.
Are we talking most popular or defining? I dont think the following defined anything: Bioshock, Borderlands, Portal, HalfLife2, PerfectDark, Duke Nukem, Battlezone, Doom II

Duke Nukem 3D was more like defining of the times, but I dont think it added anything new to the game.
Halo it started a huge IP but not sure if the game itself is great, I didnt play it. Its halo2 with multiplayer that defined popularity of modern FPS.
Unreal had a campaign game but I think its remembered for popularizing competitive play, but wasn't that what Doom II or Quake did?
COD is interesting. It defined the FPS competitive online play on the PS3 generation but I don't know why, I just dont see how its special. Its a shooter like any other, but maybe because it had perks? Perks are nothing new to videogames, its RPG element.

I dont see why Marathon, system shock, or Medal of Honour defining anything.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:05 pm

Good point with Counter Strike, I forgot how huge that game was. But it's not really a single player, at least unless you can count bots.

Medal of Honor really kicked off the whole WW2 FPS, there were so many and it was so popular for a while it could almost be a sub genre. I think MoH also took a step forward in being cinematic. The presentation, the narrator, and the score. I know Steven Spielberg worked on the first game, and IIRC the first few games. There was really nothing like it at the time.

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!
Ack

by Ack Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:10 pm

Counterstrike continues to be popular, but it did not popularize online play or create new modes like Capture the Flag, merely built on them. These were elements found in Quake mods such as the original Team Fortress, and while someone might try to call foul for pointing to a mod, it's best to understand that Counterstrike also was mod, and modding has been a major foundation of the FPS community since the days of Doom. But Unreal Tournament did prove mutiplayer FPS could be successful in the marketplace and not just as a mod.

Medal of Honor for PS1 would be something that I'd point to as another example of successful FPS design on a console, and the first did help kickstart the major wave of WWII FPS. It wasn't the first (hey, Wolfenstein 3D), but it was the opening of the floodgates for more MoH, CoD, Battlefield, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and numerous other lesser known titles.

I'm really waiting for Fast to get in here and tell all of you about how important Terminator is to FPS design.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:21 pm

marurun wrote:
Marathon does indeed deserve lots of praise. It did so much with so little so early on.

Agree. There's no Halo or ultimately Desity without Marathon.

Several Halo multiplayer maps were inspired by Marathon. Hang Em High (HCE) & Tombstone (H2) are a recreation of a Marathon level. A few others as well.

The Pillar of Autum has a Marathon logo on it! Pic proof 8)

There's so many Marathon references throughout the Halo games, there's a wiki for it:
List of Marathon references in the Halo series

Edit/Add: Delta Force & DF2 weren't as big as CS, but coming out in 1998... it was the first military FPS I remember playing online, complete with clan tags, lobbies, and KB trash talk. Worth noting it dropped you into a HUGE arena style map from a parachute... 20 years before PUBG, Fortnite, etc. Maybe not the list, but noteworthy on several levels. Some of my friend's dads were even addicted with us.
Last edited by Jagosaurus on Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PretentiousHipster
64-bit

by PretentiousHipster Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:24 pm

Any chance The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay could make it? In the middle of playing it now and even today it feels so modern.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:01 pm

PretentiousHipster wrote:Any chance The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay could make it? In the middle of playing it now and even today it feels so modern.

That is a stupendous game, but like Metroid Prime, Mirror’s Edge, Thief, etc., it’s probably more of a first-person adventure game than a FPS.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:15 pm

What about Rainbow Six? I'm not too familiar with the series but it seemed to be the foremost of the tactical FPS sub-genre.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:49 am

Ack wrote:Medal of Honor for PS1 would be something that I'd point to as another example of successful FPS design on a console, and the first did help kickstart the major wave of WWII FPS. It wasn't the first (hey, Wolfenstein 3D), but it was the opening of the floodgates for more MoH, CoD, Battlefield, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and numerous other lesser known titles.

I wouldn't call Wolfenstein 3D a WWII game in the same vein as MoH, CoD, et cetera. Sure, it has Nazi soldiers which means it takes place during WWII, but MoH was the first FPS as far as I know to really be about the war itself (real locations and events).

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!
opa
32-bit

by opa Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:34 am

I've yet to play it but the Blake Stone series comes to mind.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:29 pm

Ack wrote:Counterstrike continues to be popular, but it did not popularize online play or create new modes like Capture the Flag, merely built .

So you dont think CS defined anything? I am not arguing just genuinely wondering why its so popular. I think it might at least paved the way for COD because it used real weapons unlike laser guns and exploding bomb shots on something like UT. I guess the same could be said for 007 but that game was local MM and CS was online.

I didnt know WWII games were a genre in itself, that being said I played one pre-MW, it was amazingly well made the developers seemed enthusiastic about the topic. It even gave quotes from the war each time you die.
Return to General Gaming