Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: What are the “classic” single-player FPS games?

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:27 pm

New thread! Yes!

Current list in first post. What should we add? What should we take off? What about the first-person Star Wars games? Do squad shooters count?
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:27 pm

I think 2 sleepers contributors are:

The AvP & AsvP series. Adding in the ability to play as all 3 characters and the horror atmosphere.

Turok series. The fog gets made fun of today, but these were big at the time.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:50 pm

Jagosaurus wrote:Turok series. The fog gets made fun of today, but these were big at the time.

Yeah, it wasn't just Goldeneye that helped to prove FPS was doable on consoles. Turok Dinosaur Hunter was very popular, hence the many sequels and remakes. I'm not sure why it doesn't get remembered that way by some people, but I think it's because of just how popular Goldeneye really was.

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!
PresidentLeever
Next-Gen

by PresidentLeever Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:09 pm

Not to hijack the thread but when did FPS become the mainstream term for such games? And was it "doom clone" before that?

I would add Quake 2 and perhaps Unreal 1 to the list; they are certainly as good as (or better in my view) any console FPS from that time.

Tribes is a really cool MP one with some tactical elements and vehicles.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:25 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:What about the first-person Star Wars games? Did any of them really push the genre forward?

Dark Forces utilized a fair amount of puzzles in its gameplay from what I recall. That wasn't something you saw a lot of at the time. Otherwise it wasn't all that different from other "doom clones" of the day. Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight however, really stepped things up and was a far superior game. Dark Forces II kept some of the puzzle solving gameplay and added light saber combat (with an automatic switch to third person) as well as some very light role playing elements. You had a skill tree in the form of force powers. You could choose the light side or dark based on the force abilities you pick and got different endings depending on the path you take. Dark Forces II also had a better narrative than the typical FPS around that time. Cut scenes were done with actors in FMV sequences. The other Jedi Knight games felt like more of the same to me but with better graphics and no FMV sequences. All of them, even Dark Forces, are worth playing in my opinion. I'd stick with the PC version of Dark Forces though. The consoles ports are not so good.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:47 pm

I'd agree that Dark Forces didn't necessarily do anything too terribly special, but Jedi Knight adding in the lightsaber was. Though since it spits you back to third person it also sort of was the beginning of pushing Star Wars out of the FPS realm (outside of Republic Commando and the beginning of Jedi Knight II and that one Jedi Academy level).
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

by Ack Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:09 pm

I actually dislike how Dark Forces 2 approached a lot of the Jedi elements, but I preferred sticking to blasters and never cared for the Force anyway. It's not the most important in terms of that FPS/RPG hybrid development, but it added its own layers

And the genre stopped being known as Doom Clones around the time that it managed to reach full 3D. Quake and Half-Life showed us what could be done, and while the term stick around a little while longer for folks who didn't play much FPS, those of us who did were seeing how much further things could go beyond simply copying Doom.

And Turok: Dinosaur Hunter is important. It marks not only a major step up for console FPS games, it's also one of the first times a non-Nintendo game managed to reach enough in sales to warrant a Player's Choice re-release.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
marurun

by marurun Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:18 pm

Don’t forget that Duke 3D had lots of interactive elements in the world and robust (for the time) scripting. You could see your reflection in mirrors, drink from water fountains, pee into toilets.

Marathon does indeed deserve lots of praise. It did so much with so little so early on.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
PresidentLeever
Next-Gen

by PresidentLeever Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:26 pm

Interesting, thanks Ack.

I thought DF2 was great overall but I played it mostly in third person view, it was more comfortable considering there's a lot of platforming and the aim assist made shooting fine with it on as well.

I guess it's also a quesion about what you think is a push forward for FPSs - More cinematics, more RPG elements, more worldbuilding and interactivity besides shooting stuff? Some games like HL could be seen as a sidestep or as a new subgenre. System Shock and such even more so.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
Ack

by Ack Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:34 pm

And you just explained a lot of why I don't like DF2. I wanted more FPS goodness...but it comes down to what I enjoyed about Star Wars and how that impacts my feelings on the game's design.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Return to General Gaming