Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: What are the “classic” single-player FPS games?

by Ack Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:23 pm

Turok makes the list due to its impact and legacy. It was the first third-party game to become a Nintendo "Player's Choice" title and proved that console FPS could be successful. Its open areas do separate it from the corridor tendency that most FPS games had at the time and does serve as a stepping stone towards the likes of games like Far Cry, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., and so on. While it does now get overshadowed by GoldenEye, it also proved that local splitscreen multiplayer could be successful for console FPS six months before that game's release.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:19 am

If we are going just by popularity and critical acclaim the list should be a lot longer.

I can accept Turok for the following but correct me if I am wrong:-

-1st 3D FPS on a console
-1st to implement open areas(or was that Rise of the Triads?)
-1st first FPS to have animals as enemies also the enemies do not carry guns to shoot back at you?

I thought Turok was not liked by gamers due to gameplay choice implemented like far away save points and lack of guidance on what to do. I think everyone was impressed by it at the time because the jump from 16-bit to 32-bit was probably the biggest jump in computer graphics history, just imagine going from something like Battletoads to Turok.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:43 am

RCBH928 wrote:I thought Turok was not liked by gamers due to gameplay choice implemented like far away save points and lack of guidance on what to do. I think everyone was impressed by it at the time because the jump from 16-bit to 32-bit was probably the biggest jump in computer graphics history, just imagine going from something like Battletoads to Turok.

The first two Turok games were more than just "impressive at the time," people did like them beyond that. That's why they were recently remastered on PC. The rest of the series is a different story.

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

I want to buy Universal Game Cases, if you have any spares please PM me! I'm looking to only deal with members that have good BST feedback on this forum.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:16 am

Ziggy587 wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:I thought Turok was not liked by gamers due to gameplay choice implemented like far away save points and lack of guidance on what to do. I think everyone was impressed by it at the time because the jump from 16-bit to 32-bit was probably the biggest jump in computer graphics history, just imagine going from something like Battletoads to Turok.

The first two Turok games were more than just "impressive at the time," people did like them beyond that. That's why they were recently remastered on PC. The rest of the series is a different story.

maybe I should give it another shot, I quit on it but I don't recall why.
Return to General Gaming