Sega 60th!

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
MrPopo

Re: Big Sega Announcement on June 3rd

Post by MrPopo »

In order for a new console to be successful it needs to have enough exclusive stuff (games and/or features) to be worth going for. As it stands right now, we have two categories in the console market. We have the PS4/Xbone as two interchangeable machines and we have the Switch as its own thing, which has exclusive Nintendo IPs and the portability. If Sega went portable they would continue the trend of people thinking they can compete with Nintendo handhelds and failing. They do not have the cash reserves to try and compete with Sony and Microsoft on the AAA front. Their only competitive advantage is their IPs, and they've spent the past two decades squandering that by a very inconsistent series of releases. While the IPs are beloved by old gamers, younger gamers don't have the same attachment to when the entries were unambiguously good and more recent releases have been hit and miss. Unless Sega managed to create a Sonic Mania caliber game for every one of their IPs trying to launch a console would lead to them finally failing as a business.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

I dont think enough people really care about their old franchises enough to sell a console anyway. That's not a popular opinion on boards like this, I get that, I'm sure the retro community would love it but mainstream would care less. I just think that ship has sailed.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I quit hoping for a new Sega Console a long time ago.

I hope that Sega announces it's going to farm out some of it's other IPs to the studios who worked on Sonic Mania, Streets of Rage 4, and Wonderboy: The Dragon's Trap.

The fact that this announcement comes on the same day as a big SONY announcement seems a little too odd to be a coincidence, so maybe it's going to be Sega's lineup for the PS5 launch.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

stickem wrote:I dont think enough people really care about their old franchises enough to sell a console anyway. That's not a popular opinion on boards like this, I get that, I'm sure the retro community would love it but mainstream would care less. I just think that ship has sailed.

Oh I agree. I think most here would to be honest. Yeah, we'd love a new Sega console with Virtua Fighter 6, Shining Force IV, Jet Set Radio 2 and so on, but it wouldn't appeal to many outside of our niche demographic.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Reprise wrote:
stickem wrote:I dont think enough people really care about their old franchises enough to sell a console anyway. That's not a popular opinion on boards like this, I get that, I'm sure the retro community would love it but mainstream would care less. I just think that ship has sailed.

Oh I agree. I think most here would to be honest. Yeah, we'd love a new Sega console with Virtua Fighter 6, Shining Force IV, Jet Set Radio 2 and so on, but it wouldn't appeal to many outside of our niche demographic.

The only way a Shining Force IV would be good is if Sega partnered with Camelot.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I could see another company taking over Shining Force and doing good work, but they'd have to spin off their own universe, or otherwise "reboot" the series.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

MrPopo wrote:
Reprise wrote:

The only way a Shining Force IV would be good is if Sega partnered with Camelot.

Camelot haven't been what they used to be since at least the Gamecube days. I doubt Shining Force 4 would be good even if they were involved.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

MrPopo wrote:
Reprise wrote:

In my head, all of these *mostly* dead franchises would need the Sonic Mania or Streets of Rage 4 treatment (i.e. They need to be bloody good!)
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Wasn't there a heavy rumour back in April that Sega and Microsoft would be doing a joint streaming event on June 14th? More than likely this will relate to that. I can't see Microsoft purchasing Sega wholesale (or Sega Sammy as it is now); it'd be likely be too expensive, Microsoft aren't interested in pachinko and I think they gave up trying to crack Japan after Lost Odyssey failed. They probably see Korea and China are more lucrative Asian markets nowadays. I also can't see just the Sega part being sold. Since Sega have recently shown a willingness to loan their IPs to other developers (Shenmue, Streets of Rage, Wonderboy) perhaps MS will have some sort of arrangement to have one of their burgeoning stock of studios make a Sega game? Although again, unless it was Sonic, why they would bother.

My best guess is that we'll get a combo announcement of timed exclusivity for future Sega releases with a few new titles shown off to cement that (Sonic and possibly Virtua Fighter 6). Hopefully we'll also get confirmation that Gamepass will add all of or a decent chuck of the first party Sega backwards compatible games for PC and Xbox. At a push they'll also show off an exclusive Sonic and Tails shader set for Halo Infinite. Here's dreaming. Tease the titles on the 3rd then stream them working on the Xbox Series X (available holiday 2020) on the 14th in lieu of E3. Timed exclusivity may seem more earthshaking for a Japanese audience especially if a Yakuza/Virtua Fighter is involved.

Reprise wrote:
In my head, all of these *mostly* dead franchises would need the Sonic Mania or Streets of Rage 4 treatment (i.e. They need to be bloody good!)

So, not be made by Sega themselves?
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

It always blows my mind that Sega still insist in putting out stuff for XBox when it jsut doesn't seem like their audience are there. They'd probably have more success if they focus on the Nintendo audience which seems to have more interest in their stuff from what I can see. But maybe I'm wrong and the sales numbers don't reflect that.

I'd have to imagine the difference in cost in developing for Switch or developing for PS4 and XBox One is significant though, and only going to increase as the next consoles arrive.