Sega 60th!

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Omerta
Next-Gen

Re: Big Sega Announcement on June 3rd

Post by Omerta »

stickem wrote:Do people go to arcades anymore over there since this virus thing? I was thinking maybe that had something to do with it. Everybody else is making virus friendly products/services. They might as well cash in as well. Of course I could be way off.

That may not be the only reason for doing it, but it’s probably a bigger one. There’s a bunch of in-demand hardware in centrally located areas that can be accessed remotely, so why not utilize it and cash in?

And to be fair, the huge June 3rd announcement was teased by the Japanese press so a big impact for the west wasn’t guaranteed.
"Farewell, good hunter.
May you find your worth
in the waking world."
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I'm kinda excited by the keychain Game Gears. I'm gonna buy a blue one. I need it for my collection of too-small-to-comfortably-play handheld consoles that I keep trying to enjoy.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

marurun wrote:Their early-mid arcade history was also very important in the US. But really, their US success was a relative flash in the pan for a 60-year old company.

Oh absolutely. I'm not an expert on the arcade scene in the US (and I'm from the UK), but the period when it felt like they were the biggest video games company (at least in the UK) is literally just a few years in the 90s.

Still, I can't help but get nostalgic thinking of Sega in the 90s and even the early 2000s. They're the company that got me into video games. I played and loved most of their consoles growing up. Even though the Sega today is not the same and the industry has moved on, I'd love them to do more with some of their old catalogue and IPs
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
marurun

Post by marurun »

Ars Technica has a good article on this "fog gaming" plan. It's not big on details, but it provides some important context as to why Sega may be pushing this.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/06/ ... a-centers/
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I gotta admit I'd really like to get a bigger version of the gamegear with all the games. I got big ol' hands though. That micro stuff ain't gonna fit in my fingers.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

samsonlonghair wrote:I gotta admit I'd really like to get a bigger version of the gamegear with all the games. I got big ol' hands though. That micro stuff ain't gonna fit in my fingers.

Your best bet is to look into one of those portable emulation machines, they are super convenient, comfortable, have a long battery life, dont actually require batteries, great screens, every modern convenience you would want, and can play basically anything ps1 and backwards.

I recently picked up an rg350 and have been playing a lot of GBA on it, IMO, that is the way to go if you want old school stuff on the go.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I LOVE my RG350. It’s such a great little machine.

I’ve been using my Retrode to create a digital copy of my collection and loading my games onto my RG350 as I copy them. (It’s taking a while...I’ve got too many games, I think.) It’s been really awesome having my collection at my fingertips, and I’ve been enjoying my games more than ever.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I LOVE my RG350. It’s such a great little machine.

I’ve been using my Retrode to create a digital copy of my collection and loading my games onto my RG350 as I copy them. (It’s taking a while...I’ve got too many games, I think.) It’s been really awesome having my collection at my fingertips, and I’ve been enjoying my games more than ever.

When I was a kid I used to fantasize that there would be a color game boy that could play NES, SNES, and genesis games, I thought it was an impossibility but now it exists, being able to play any game, anytime, for any length of time is absolutely amazing.
benderx
Next-Gen

Post by benderx »

I know why they are going to milk Game Gear cause Brazil/South America loves the Sega Master System. Also they like to abandon any announcements about mini dreamcast n Saturn on purpose.

Then Nintendo releases Gameboy Color LED edition. Sold out $120 from scalpers

We all went Raspberry Pi in
The End!
You took too long, now your candy's gone. That's What happens. Bkowwwww. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Retro Core just got a GGM and did an unboxing
https://youtu.be/MnSnEpiNRMo
I'm disappointed in the blurry upscale interpolation. Still going to buy one.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage