Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
RCBH928
Next-Gen

What was the most technically advanced game?

by RCBH928 Sun May 10, 2020 12:12 pm

I am not sure how to word this, but which game the developers went through technical challenges/limits to make it happen, basically something that others thought might not be possible to do.

Nothing comes to my mind, but the one I heard about is RE2 64 needed craftsmanship programming skill to port it from the PSX. I wonder why Capcom insisted on releasing a 64 version. Which other game you believe the developers behind it needed more appreciation for their work?
pook99
128-bit

Re: What was the most technically advanced game?

by pook99 Sun May 10, 2020 2:26 pm

From what I understand, just about every 3d game on the Saturn. That system was notoriously hard to develop for and I believe it was much better suited to 2d games.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Sun May 10, 2020 3:03 pm

Oh, there's many games to list. Racketboy has a multi-part article series, "Games that pushed the limits."

http://www.racketboy.com/guide/games-th ... o-hardware

I will bring up Donkey Kong Country. Most people will roll their eyes about now, thinking I'm beating a dead horse, but I want to point out something that rarely gets mentioned. We all know the visuals were a huge leap for the SNES, and we all know that the music was brilliantly composed, but what rarely gets mentioned is that the music was also brilliantly programmed.

This short video explains it well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvIzIAgRWV0

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

I want to buy Universal Game Cases, if you have any spares please PM me! I'm looking to only deal with members that have good BST feedback on this forum.
PresidentLeever
Next-Gen

by PresidentLeever Sun May 10, 2020 3:57 pm

Soul Reaver on PS1 was pretty cool in that it was basically seamless. They used corridors here and there to pull it off but it's still cool, as it's quite detailed for the time.
And it was indeed mentioned in the article, that's good.

DKC had some nice background effects and was fast and smooth; the pre-rendered sprites in themselves were not demanding afaik. Also in screenshots it uses 1-200+ colors, not 4000. It would be mostly doable on MD with shadow/highlight mode I think.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sun May 10, 2020 4:53 pm

The Racketboy “games that pushed the limits” articles are great.

I am happy to see Vectorman 2 at the top of the list for the Mega Drive/Genesis. They are both pretty bad games , but the F!V in the first and, especially, the lighting effects in the second are undeniably impressive.
PresidentLeever
Next-Gen

by PresidentLeever Sun May 10, 2020 6:25 pm

Lost World, Ecco 1-2, Adventures of Batman and Robin and Red Zone are certainly worth a mention in the MD article.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
marurun

by marurun Sun May 10, 2020 10:04 pm

Toy Story in Genesis also had some cool effects.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Sun May 10, 2020 10:43 pm

Asterix & Obelix XXL for GBA has a very impressive 3D engine that achieves a good frame-rate all software rendered on its 16Mhz CPU.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Tue May 12, 2020 1:24 am

Ziggy587 wrote:Oh, there's many games to list. Racketboy has a multi-part article series, "Games that pushed the limits."

http://www.racketboy.com/guide/games-th ... o-hardware

I will bring up Donkey Kong Country. Most people will roll their eyes about now, thinking I'm beating a dead horse, but I want to point out something that rarely gets mentioned. We all know the visuals were a huge leap for the SNES, and we all know that the music was brilliantly composed, but what rarely gets mentioned is that the music was also brilliantly programmed.

This short video explains it well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvIzIAgRWV0

Yes I know about games that pushed the limit articles and I like them, but instead of a game that had to pull a trick or two out of its sleeves, I was looking for something more historically which one(s) was the biggest technical achievements.

I have seen a few videos online about putting FMV in Sonic cartridge narrated by the developer, I am not sure how programmers were thinking then but its pretty impressive how he came up with the idea and tricks. He didnt have Google to look up things or see other code to inspire him.

Sometimes I wonder why programmers go out of their way to make a technical achievement that no one will notice like in the video you posed, my only guess its self challenge.

Anapan wrote:Asterix & Obelix XXL for GBA has a very impressive 3D engine that achieves a good frame-rate all software rendered on its 16Mhz CPU.

Maybe my memory is failing me, but 3D on portable in 2001? I mean Nintendo portables are even known to be on the lower spec. side. In that era we had Snake in monochrome on Nokia phones and PSX was still current. Thats extremely impressive, was it pleasing to look at? I looked few youtube videos, the graphics are horrid but one have to compare it for the time. When PSX was out people described its graphics as realistic, now they make fun of the low polygons.(I was one of those people)
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Tue May 12, 2020 1:28 am

prfsnl_gmr wrote:The Racketboy “games that pushed the limits” articles are great.

I am happy to see Vectorman 2 at the top of the list for the Mega Drive/Genesis. They are both pretty bad games , but the F!V in the first and, especially, the lighting effects in the second are undeniably impressive.

Whats F!V?

marurun wrote:Toy Story in Genesis also had some cool effects.

Now that you mention it, I saw or read about some technical challenges in Toy Story I just forget it. Maybe I will look it up in YouTube
Return to General Gaming