Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Racketboy Summer Games Challenge 2020 - begin when ready

by alienjesus Tue May 12, 2020 3:06 pm

I got stuck into my second game yesterday, but it wasn't Fire Emblem just yet.

Instead I got stuck into Castlevania III. I've been playing on the Switch using the eshop collection, and I've also been playing the Japanese version of the game.

I'm up to the start of level 7 now, with Grant as my partner. I've heard people say he's too good in the Japanese version as he has a throwing knife as his primary attack, but honestly I still prefer to use Trevor Belmont for the most part. Grant has been nice for a few tough jumps though.

The game has been pretty easy so far if I'm being honest. I wouldn't say I'm a Castlevania expert by any means, but I have beaten 1, 4, Bloodlines, Rondo and Rebirth, and I honestly think all of those titles are harder than this one. It might explain why they made so many changes to make it harder in the US version of the game. But sorry - I wasn't going to miss out on that badass Japanese version of the soundtrack.
PretentiousHipster
64-bit

by PretentiousHipster Tue May 12, 2020 3:37 pm

Playing the Serenity mod for Doom and the music :lol: :lol:

Beverly Hills Cop, Twin Peaks, and Depeche Mode. I wonder what else will turn up.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Thu May 14, 2020 6:42 pm

1. Castlevania III (NES)
2. Probotector (NES)
3. Gate of Thunder (TGCD)
4. Final Fantasy VI (SNES)
5. Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War (SFC)
6. Pilotwings (SNES)
7. Super Tennis (SNES)
8. Command & Conquer: Red Alert (PS1)
9. Turok (N64)
10. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)

So yesterday I picked up my run of Castlevania III on the Switch - only to recoil in horror as my suspended game was not there! So I looked up a password to pick up where I left off with Grant as my partner, and played through an absolutely miserable and boring stage 7 (with falling blocks and acid droplets, if you've played before, probably the worst Castlevania level I've played) and then through stage 8 and beating Death. The as I played Stage 9 I found a point where I want to use Grant, pressed the throw button, and realised my mistake - I'd loaded up the US version on the collection instead of the Japanese one. So, I guess I will say I didn't think the US game was particularly hard either, and I beat 3 of the later levels in the game.

Anyway, I decided rather than carry on I'd pick up my original run. Turns out the original run went to a different version of Stage 7 which was much less crappy, and then I breezed through stage 8 and 9 again. Dracula was also pretty easy this time round, and I finished up the game. Final thoughts in summary: this was a good game besides that one really shitty level with the falling blocks, but I was surprised how easy it was! It's easier than any other Classicvania I've played, that's for sure.

Anyhow, this evening I started up Pilotwings on the Switch too. I played through the first 4 sets of challenges without too much trouble, although I definitely had to replay a few - Landing the hangglider and parachute tended to be the main issue, still not really got the knack for it. I also had a bit of trouble with the final plane challenge where you had to fly a plane through an arch at ground level.

Anyhow, after beating 4 sets of challenges suddenly I was put in charge of using an attack helicopter to rescue people from an evil army, and wow, that's a bit out of left field. The best bit is you don't actually get taught to fly a helicopter as part of the challenges so there's no prep for this life threatening mission. I beat it though, and was pretty happy to have another game beat under my belt!... except I didn't.

Nope, instead of credits upon finishing the final mission, I was instead treated to 'Pilotwings Expert' - a much harder version of the game to play through again. After looking it up, my fears were confirmed - no credits for me until I finish expert mode. Guess this one is going to take a bit longer yet then!
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Thu May 14, 2020 7:35 pm

alienjesus wrote:So yesterday I picked up my run of Castlevania III on the Switch -

Final thoughts in summary: this was a good game besides that one really shitty level with the falling blocks, but I was surprised how easy it was! It's easier than any other Classicvania I've played, that's for sure.

That is the EXACT opposite reaction I had to Castlevania III.

I played III on the NES and it was one of the harder games I've ever beaten. I still hate those stairs....

I haven't played any of the 16-Bit versions, but for the 8-bit games, Castlevania III is so much harder than the others. In fact, because of the difficulty, I prefer the other two games much more.
lordb0rb4
32-bit

by lordb0rb4 Thu May 14, 2020 9:47 pm

So just now i had this amazing gaming night where i beat Moving Out's campaign alongside my wife and just after that i made myself some tea and played nonstop for 4 hours Smash Bros. Brawl and my second game, Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II.
WOW, JUST WOW
This is a SEGA game alright, amazing atmosphere, music and addicting gameplay loop, i manage do defeat Dragon and the second boss after an epic 1 hour battle.

Brawl keeps getting better as i'm getting used and learning some advanced techniques, beat classic mode with 10 characters and unlocked Sonic, to my surprise, and even on hard as Zelda so now i can play as this badboy:
What a night gents! 8)
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Fri May 15, 2020 3:56 am

alienjesus wrote:So yesterday I picked up my run of Castlevania III on the Switch -

Final thoughts in summary: this was a good game besides that one really shitty level with the falling blocks, but I was surprised how easy it was! It's easier than any other Classicvania I've played, that's for sure.

Yeah, got to agree with Markies on this one, CVIII I've always found to be one of if not the hardest 'Vania's.

I think I might join this years challenge myself. I've been playing Final Fantasy III lately which gave me the inspiration to knock out a few of the other JRPGs I've had sitting in my collection for a while (and because I don't expect to be back at work until at least July). Accordingly my list is:

Final Fantasy III (Famicom)
Final Fantasy V (GBA)
Final Fantasy XII (this will be the Zodiac Age rerelease on PS4)
Star Ocean (SNES)
Rudra no Hihou (SNES)
Chrono Trigger (SNES)

I've played varying chunks of the Final Fantasy games down the years but have never properly beat any of them. FFIII I always got frustrated early on in the Tower of Owen. I'm way past that now. FFV I always found a bit dopey compared to IV and VI but everyone loves the job system so it's worth another shot. FFXII I got some ways into but started to find it a drag, however the Zodiac Age update seemingly fixes some problems I had with the base game so I'm willing to try again.

I also have FFVIII in the sin bin of Final Fantasy's I have played small/large chunks of but fell off but I thought that might be excessive. Maybe though if time allows. That would just leave X and XIII as the mainline entries I haven't beat (I don't count the online games) but I don't care for either of them at all so am okay with that.

Chrono Trigger is a game I'm not sure I actually like that much either to be honest. I've started it about 2-3 times without getting any further than the dinosaur world and I remember just not being that engaged with the game on any level, other than its obvious audiovisual flair. Hopefully this time it'll click.

As for Star Ocean and Rudra, never played either but they both have handy english patches and are very well thought of. Hopefully I don't OD on JRPGs and go full weeb.
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Fri May 15, 2020 2:59 pm

@aj: that falling block section is probably my 2nd least favorite level in any classicvania game (my first being the final level of bloodlines which is just a gimmicky filled slogfest) It is less dreadful if you get there with alucard and a bunch of hearts, at that point you can just bat spam your way to the top.

I agree with you that the difficulty of castlevania 3 may be a bit overstated but I definitely don't think its the easiest classicvania by any stretch, I would probably say Castlevania 4 is the easiest and dracula X is the hardest, 3 probably falls somewhere near the top.
marurun

by marurun Fri May 15, 2020 3:10 pm

Maybe it's because I've played them the most, but I think Super Castlevania IV and Rondo of Blood are the easiest Castlevania titles. I still haven't managed to beat Bloodlines (some folks say it's easy but not for me) and I also can't beat Dracula in Castlevania III.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Fri May 15, 2020 4:49 pm

marurun wrote:Maybe it's because I've played them the most, but I think Super Castlevania IV and Rondo of Blood are the easiest Castlevania titles. I still haven't managed to beat Bloodlines (some folks say it's easy but not for me) and I also can't beat Dracula in Castlevania III.

PC Engine CD or SNES? Pook said Castlevania X, so I assumed he was talking about the Super Nintendo game. I heard it was more difficult, but for bad reasons. I found the game to be too clunky and much prefer the PCECD game overall.
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Fri May 15, 2020 7:45 pm

@ o.pwuaioc: Yes, I was talking about the SNES game, I actually really enjoy the SNES game, and feel it is one of the most under rated games out there. The issue is that many people compare it directly to the turbo CD one, and I just don't think thats fair.

Yes, Rondo is a better game, but people usually trash X as just a bad port of Rondo when in actuality it is its own game, and was never meant to be a port. I think X would be much better received if it was not directly compared to Rondo.

@marurun: I don't think bloodlines is an easy game, I have just always found it hard for the wrong reasons. It is a decent game, but in my opinion, the weakest in the classicvania series
Return to General Gaming