Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Re: Racketboy Summer Games Challenge 2020 - begin when ready

by PartridgeSenpai Mon May 11, 2020 6:21 am

I kinda wanna partake in the Summer Challenge, never having done it before, but at the rate I'm playing games lately, I'll be happy to even finish FF7 by the end of the summer :lol:
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Mon May 11, 2020 7:03 am

PartridgeSenpai wrote:I kinda wanna partake in the Summer Challenge, never having done it before, but at the rate I'm playing games lately, I'll be happy to even finish FF7 by the end of the summer :lol:

Creating a list and then only finishing a handful of the games is Summer Challenge tradition!

Get involved :lol:
CFFJR
Next-Gen

by CFFJR Mon May 11, 2020 7:13 am

AJ, nice job on the first kill!

lordb0rb4 wrote:Played Persona 3 on PSP years ago and had no clue what i was doing, got stuck and never came back, at the time i though the dungeon was more of a side "mode" and not the main game.I don't know if that's a Persona thing since it was my first experience but it was very confusing if i remember correctly.

Oh yeah, the dungeon makes up for half the game, definitely not a side thing. It's really interesting though that you had that perception, and I'd say it's because you played the psp version.

The ps2 versions, which I'm playing, have town areas that you explore on your own with 3d spaces. It also has actual cutscenes using the character models. For whatever reason the psp version removed the cutscenes (replacing them with talking head sprites) and changed the exploration to a simple map where you select locations to visit. The whole presentation makes the non-dungeon segments look and feel like a visual novel, so I can definitely see why it came off that way!

marurun wrote:Holy cheese balls! Grandia AND Panzer Dragoon Saga? If you threw in Shining Force III you’d have the holy triumvirate of Saturn RPG godliness.

:lol:

I considered doing that. But I knew I'd end up wanting to play all 3 scenarios of Shining Force and that might have gotten out of control!

pook99 wrote:@CFFJR: that is a hardcore rpg list, you have some great ones on there, never played any persona game and if I ever do I will start with 5, hope 3 starts picking up steam

Should be a good run!

For what it's worth, I did finish 5 earlier this year and quite liked it (also played a couple hours worth of the first game, need to go back and finish that), so I'd encourage you to check it out if it seems interesting. Too early for me to tell how it compares with 3 though.

opa wrote:CFFJR, your ranting has inspired me to give Persona 3 another try. Ordered a copy. :lol:

Awesome! :lol:

I sincerely you hope you enjoy it. For all my ranting, I do dig the game so far.

You should play it for your list, if you feel like it. It would be fun to compare notes.

alienjesus wrote:
PartridgeSenpai wrote:I kinda wanna partake in the Summer Challenge, never having done it before, but at the rate I'm playing games lately, I'll be happy to even finish FF7 by the end of the summer :lol:

Creating a list and then only finishing a handful of the games is Summer Challenge tradition!

Get involved :lol:

This is 200% fact.

Jeez, sorry for the quote wall folks.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
opa
64-bit

by opa Mon May 11, 2020 10:01 am

Here's my list. I feel I may be able to actually play most of these.

1- Fantasy Zone - SMS (yes, I've never beaten this surprisingly)
2- Castlevania: Circle of the Moon - GBA (getting close to halfway done with this; the only GBA CV I haven't completed)
3- Dragon Warrior 2 - GBC (the only main series DQ game I've beaten is the first game so might as well tackle the second!)
4- Persona 3 FES - PS2 (the ultimate emo, high school sim, dungeon crawl!!)
5- Ys: The Vanished Omens - MSDOS (Probably a third complete. The single-voice music and lack of sound effects are just part of the charm!)
6- Fire Emblem - GBA (I seem to recall getting pretty far in this but never completing it.)
7- Balloon Kid Hello Kitty World - Famicom (Why play the crappy game boy game when they made a Hello Kitty version?)
8- Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - NES (yep)
9- Jackal - NES
10- Rush'n Attack - NES (gotta get my konami fix for these last two entries)
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Mon May 11, 2020 4:23 pm

I mean this IS an awful lot of peer pressure :b

AJ did tell me that I could just sorta throw together a list of games I've been meaning to get to (I don't really have much of a backlog of "classics"), so I'll have a think about making my own short list over the course of today :lol:
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
lordb0rb4
32-bit

by lordb0rb4 Mon May 11, 2020 4:52 pm

Yeah, i'm not too keen on the "classic" aspect of it, RETRO should be the only requisition IMO.
marurun

by marurun Mon May 11, 2020 7:29 pm

Well, that’s sort of why it’s a summer “challenge.” You’re challenging yourself to try or complete important classics and genre stalwarts that you’ve give up on or overlooked or been unable to make time for. But it will, in the end, only be what you want to make of it, so if you don’t like that aspect, don’t do it.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Mon May 11, 2020 10:08 pm

Snickerd00dle wrote:Alright, so I recently finished my first year of college and it is my first summer back home. Between work and maybe going out a few nights of the week, all my time is devoted to gaming, so this summer, what I thought I would do is pick ten games that I own and have never beat, that are regarded as classics by most people and are also games that I really wish I had played through, games everyone talks about that I never ended up finishing, and beat all ten of them by the end of the summer. I thought this would be a cool experience to share with you guys because many of you have likely beaten these games and might have info to share with me about the games or easter eggs and or hints...anyone who wants to do this as well please join, it would be cool to discuss this as I venture onward. SO!! the ten games I have chosen for the summer are in no particular order

I like the idea of forcing oneself to play through classics that one has been meaning to play through. That was the original challenge, at least, but given the environment it's not like anyone would bat an eye for doing whatever one wants.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Tue May 12, 2020 6:02 am

I'm not really in a place where I'm looking to "challenge" myself with games right now. Between work and hanging out with online friends, I don't really play games that much anymore to even try and do something like this if I wanted to ^^;

I also just have so relatively few retro games that it makes a lot more sense to just save 'em for Together Retros (which I've had a lot of fun doing :3). It looks like strategy games are gonna win next month's poll at this rate, and I'm pretty sure I only own one or two retro SRPGs, so I'd much rather save Mystery of the Emblem for that instead of something like this where I know I'd have a really hard time committing to it.

I hope everyone doing the challenge this year has a good time though ^w^
lordb0rb4
32-bit

by lordb0rb4 Tue May 12, 2020 6:21 am

Yes, i guess that's the original vision then...
So my list is finished and it looks like this:

Metroid Fusion - Beaten on 05/02/2020, amazing game overall, after the walk in the part that is the first third, mid-game gets brutal and no health grind can remedy the damage Samus receive from even the most trivial enemy BUT towards the ending Samus is nothing bud a SPACE BADASS while zipping and blasting everything in her path, story and sound are pretty awesome for a GBA game. 08/10

Smash Bros Brawl - Having played the original fairly late and AFTER some time with Melee i'm pretty excited for Brawl, i hope there's some cool characters to unlock.
Contra 4 - HUGE contra 3 fan, i know this one's pretty tough so an Easy finish is more than enough.
Assassin's Creed - AC is spearheading the next generation and i have lagged on this series long enough.
Serious Sam 2 - Was torn between SS2 and Half-Life 2 and while i'm dying to know what happens to mr. Freeman, SS2 seemed VERY beautiful and a blast to play.
Devil May Cry 4 - This one blown my mind the first time i saw, same case with DMC3 (The game that made me finally buy a PS2) and like many others, i'm yet to play ANY in the series.
Mario Kart Wii - Another big Nintendo franchise i'm not very familiar with :lol:
Far Cry 2 - Not a classic at all but it was my second or third PS3 game 10 years ago and i haven't finished it still.

So what do you think guys? I'm hyped as hell right now 8)

Edit:
final list:

Metroid Fusion
Smash Bros Brawl
Contra 4
Assassin's Creed
Serious Sam 2
Devil May Cry 4
Mario Kart Wii
Far Cry 2
Mortal Kombat II - I'm actually playing 2 ports of the game, neither arcade perfect, MK Arcade Kollection is pretty flawed with iffy framerate and poor filtering but i'm back into achievements.The 32X is the one i'm excited to play simply because i can tone down the difficulty and have some fun at all.
Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II - Third time in my summer challenge list so i decided that the GC port is the easiest and more complete way to play it, not messing around with custom servers or settings seemed more appealing than episode 4 of the PC's Blue Burst and graphics enhancements.

EDIT 2:

Ok, so first impressions on Smash Bros. Brawl were good until i got to play as Luigi and turns out he's a freaking Esoteric Kung-Fu Master with deadly fingers and the game instantly became SO-MUCH-FUN
Return to General Gaming