Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
PretentiousHipster
64-bit

Re: Racketboy Summer Games Challenge 2020 - begin when ready

by PretentiousHipster Fri May 08, 2020 2:57 pm

Touched on a few mods for Doom. I'm shocked at how in-depth they could be, even when some are from 1994. I'll try to make a video review of it in 2-3 weeks when I gather my thoughts on it, and I think I might make a seperate videos about mods later. I'll do Fallout on Monday or Tuesday.
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Sat May 09, 2020 9:22 pm

PretentiousHipster wrote:Touched on a few mods for Doom. I'm shocked at how in-depth they could be, even when some are from 1994. I'll try to make a video review of it in 2-3 weeks when I gather my thoughts on it, and I think I might make a seperate videos about mods later. I'll do Fallout on Monday or Tuesday.

It really is shocking how good fan made games/mods/romhacks could be. The amount of work that people put into these projects and the results that they achieve is just stunning. I never played any doom mods but I have played tons of quality rom hacks and fan games, especially of Castlevania, Mario, and Mega Man and they are just super impressive.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

by CFFJR Sun May 10, 2020 5:01 am

So here's the list I've settled on after trimming down to ten.

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
Donkey Kong Country 3
Dragon Quest V
Final Fantasy VIII
Grandia
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Persona 3 FES
Shadow Hearts
Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne
Xenosaga Episode 1

Although I admit I'm still debating about Dragon Quest.

That's a problem for another day though, as I have gotten started playing Persona 3.

I've put about 14 hours in so far, and I've reached the 47th floor of the game's single dungeon, Tartarus, a behemoth with over 250 floors. They are randomly generated each time you enter and fairly brisk to get through, which is nice since you do have to revisit floors fairly regularly to grind, do mini sidequests, or just return to the point where you left off, since there are hard checkpoints spread out every few floors.

The beginning was pretty slow and sometimes tedious. In particular because there's a exhaustion mechanic that comes into play if you spend too much time in the dungeon. My understanding is that this is a gigantic pain in the ass in the first hours of the game (checks out completely) before tapering off and becoming a non factor (already getting there). Makes me wonder why they put it in at all. But now that the characters are getting strong enough to ignore it, exploration is going very smoothly.

I'm also a bit cranky at the inability to control other party members. There are a selection of tactics you can order them to follow, but beyond that their actions are entirely up to the computer.

This isn't too bad most of the time, but occasionally they do stupid shit that only draws out fights and costs you resources. Generally in fights you want to use attacks that target specific enemy weakness. When you do, you stun the enemy and get another chance to attack. If you stun the entire enemy party, you can jump in with an all out attack for a lot of unanswerable damage. This is 90% of the combat strategy in the latter 3 persona games, and the computer should be shooting for this by default, but sometimes they won't do it, and rather than continuing a chain of weakness exploiting hits, they'll stop and melee attack a single stunned enemy, thus only killing one when they could have killed 2 or 3 or 4. It's especially annoying if they have a spell that hits a group, but they choose to use the single target version instead, because winning quickly and efficiently is for chumps I guess.

You can force them to focus on that strategy with the tactics menu, but again, this loop is so typical that I think they should aim for it by default. There's also no sensible reason not to do it. Especially if you have analyzed the enemy's weaknesses and the computer has the spells and SP available to exploit them.

I lost a fight tonight because of this and a subsequent instant kill spell used on the main character (you ever notice that instant kill attacks are always more effective against the player than against the enemy?) and in the Megami Tensei tradition, death of the main character means game over. I lost a fair bit of progress because of it.

Sorry for the long post. It's not a huge deal, I'm just bitching really, but it annoyed me enough earlier that I shut the game off. :lol: The complaining is mental preparation for playing Nocturne, which will surely do unspeakably evil things that I'm unable to comprehend.

The game is fun though, and getting better as it goes on. There's still a ton left to go.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
lordb0rb4
32-bit

by lordb0rb4 Sun May 10, 2020 7:13 am

Played Persona 3 on PSP years ago and had no clue what i was doing, got stuck and never came back, at the time i though the dungeon was more of a side "mode" and not the main game.I don't know if that's a Persona thing since it was my first experience but it was very confusing if i remember correctly.

For this year i'm thinking about doing a very focused PC-Based list, just got back into PC-Gaming last year with a "retro" PC that can run almost everything from the 6th and 7th generation of consoles, i did a quick look and some candidates popped up. Would love to hear from you guys, there's some of them:
Hitman 2
Myth: The Fallen Lords
Painkiller
Crusaders of Might & Magic
Half Life 2
Left 4 Dead
Counter Strike Source (Would be very interesting to experience and bring the online gaming into the Summer Games Challenge IMO)
Star-Wars Jedi Knight Dark Forces II
Quake II
Arx Fatalis
Enclave
Rainbow Six 3
Unreal Tournament 2004
Vampire: The Mascarade Bloodlines
Serious Sam 2
Jade Empire
Titan Quest
Crysis Warhead
Mount & Blade
Rise of the Argonauts
FarCry 2

I'm VERY hyped for this year, 2020's been an amazing year despite this horrible pandemic but on the gaming side there's no year that i can recall beating so many classics for the first time, Metroid Fusion recently (And my #1 from this challenge), Shinobi III, E.V.O Search for Eden, Onimusha, Zone of the Enders 1 and 2 to name a few 8)
marurun

by marurun Sun May 10, 2020 9:58 am

Holy cheese balls! Grandia AND Panzer Dragoon Saga? If you threw in Shining Force III you’d have the holy triumvirate of Saturn RPG godliness.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Sun May 10, 2020 2:25 pm

@CFFJR: that is a hardcore rpg list, you have some great ones on there, never played any persona game and if I ever do I will start with 5, hope 3 starts picking up steam

@lordborb: The ones I have played from that list are:
jedi knight
Enclave
Half-life 2
Vampire Masquerade
Jade Empire
Rise of the argonauts

Jedi knight, Half-life 2, vampire masquerare are all amazing, definitely play those

Jade empire was fun, played it on the original xbox and it was a decent time, nothing amazing but decent

I hated Enclave and rise of the argonauts seemed cool at first but I eventually got bored of it about 9-10 hours in and never went back
lordb0rb4
32-bit

by lordb0rb4 Sun May 10, 2020 4:50 pm

pook99 wrote:@CFFJR: that is a hardcore rpg list, you have some great ones on there, never played any persona game and if I ever do I will start with 5, hope 3 starts picking up steam

@lordborb: The ones I have played from that list are:
jedi knight
Enclave
Half-life 2
Vampire Masquerade
Jade Empire
Rise of the argonauts

Jedi knight, Half-life 2, vampire masquerare are all amazing, definitely play those

Jade empire was fun, played it on the original xbox and it was a decent time, nothing amazing but decent

I hated Enclave and rise of the argonauts seemed cool at first but I eventually got bored of it about 9-10 hours in and never went back

Thank you Pook, will consider dearly all your recommendations and set my list this week.
opa
64-bit

by opa Sun May 10, 2020 7:20 pm

CFFJR, your ranting has inspired me to give Persona 3 another try. Ordered a copy. :lol:
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Sun May 10, 2020 9:04 pm

For my summer challenge I have decided to play 10 wii games since that has been my main focus in gaming this year, I am also going to go over 10 to include 3 games that I know I need to play, so here is my list that I have settled on

Non wii:
1. Shining Force 2
2. Castlevania: harmony of dissonance
3. Perfect Dark

Wii:

1. Epic Mickey
2. Muramasa the demon Blade
3. Super Smash Bros Brawl
4. One of the Zeldas (I'll decide when its time)
5. House of the Dead 3
6. Last Story
7. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom
8. Metroid Prime 3
9. Super Mario 3d world
10. wii sports resort
11. Prince of Persia: forgotten sands

I know not all of them are considered classics, but the cast majority of them frequently pop up on best of wii games lists so I feel okay with all of them. The exception would be House of the Dead 3, probably not considered a classic by any stretch but it is a game I have always wanted to play but never have.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Mon May 11, 2020 5:58 am

1. Castlevania III (NES)
2. Probotector (NES)
3. Gate of Thunder (TGCD)
4. Final Fantasy VI (SNES)
5. Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War (SFC)
6. Pilotwings (SNES)
7. Super Tennis (SNES)
8. Command & Conquer: Red Alert (PS1)
9. Turok (N64)
10. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)

Yesterday I put more time in to Super Tennis. I skipped a couple of tournaments, but I earned enough points overall to finish in first place, and I beat the game!

Super Tennis is an odd one. Early on it seems very hard and insurmountable as a challenge, but once you realise the requirements for winning, learn a few strategies that the computer struggles to deal with, and realise that a few characters are disproportionately tough to beat (damn you Kim! :evil: ) it becomes more manageable. In fact, once you understand the AI is bad at responding to topspin and which serves get past them nearly everytime, dare I say it gets a bit too easy? I had fun overall though! The credits show the stats of each character and it turns out I had also chosen one of the worst in the game to play as (Yuka). Maybe I should have chosen Kim!

I decided next up would be one of the RPGs, so I plumped for Fire Emblem 4. I started this one in 2019 and got 3 chapters in. If you know the game you'll know that's actually longer than it sounds, so I decided to pick up my file where I left off rather than restart. The one issue is that I'm not sure which characters I'm matching with who, and that's relevant for the second half of the game as it effectively determines the stats and abilities of most of your party from that point on. However, I think I've figured it out (and I also read there's a way to check if people are close to matching but not there yet!) so here's hoping I'll get it all sorted.

I've also been eyeing up Castlevania 3 to begin sometime - I'm going to play it on the Switch using the collection, and probably play the Japanese version too. Seeing as it's portable, it might be a good game to play in bed. Shame it's my only portable option - unless Pilotwings is one of the SNES games for Nintendo Online subscribers?
Return to General Gaming