Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
pook99
128-bit

Re: Racketboy Summer Games Challenge 2020 - lets make plans

by pook99 Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:40 pm

@note:

House of the dead 2 was probably my overall favorite dreamcast game back in the day, used to play that game almost every night. I recently played house of the dead 2/3 on the wii and if you dont have access to a crt the wii version with the wii mote plays just as good as you want it to, the game is also pretty cheap, and can be bought for somewhere between 5 and 15 dollars

I am also planning on playing perfect dark for my summer challenge, I do own the cart but I can't go back to n64 controls so will likley play in on the 360 instead.

contra 3 is amazing, after you beat it on normal give hard a shot, it is intense but you get an expanded final boss and the real ending.

Shadow of colussus us also on my summer games list, I am going to play it on ps4 since my ps2 is not hooked up, but from what I understand its the same game just with better visuals
Note
32-bit

by Note Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:37 am

pook99 wrote:@note:

House of the dead 2 was probably my overall favorite dreamcast game back in the day, used to play that game almost every night. I recently played house of the dead 2/3 on the wii and if you dont have access to a crt the wii version with the wii mote plays just as good as you want it to, the game is also pretty cheap, and can be bought for somewhere between 5 and 15 dollars

I am also planning on playing perfect dark for my summer challenge, I do own the cart but I can't go back to n64 controls so will likley play in on the 360 instead.

contra 3 is amazing, after you beat it on normal give hard a shot, it is intense but you get an expanded final boss and the real ending.

Shadow of colussus us also on my summer games list, I am going to play it on ps4 since my ps2 is not hooked up, but from what I understand its the same game just with better visuals

Yeah, I really enjoyed playing House of the Dead 2 at my friend's place, and when I saw a CIB Sega Allstars copy in the wild last year, I grabbed it. Bit the bullet last night, and bought the Mad Catz DC lightgun for the game. Looking forward to getting it next week. I actually don't have a Wii at my place, but I do have a CRT setup, so going to play on my Dreamcast and 27" CRT.

Didn't realize Perfect Dark had been remade on the 360, somehow totally missed that. Just looked up some footage of the remake, looks like they did a nice job with it. Think I'm still going to try to play it on my N64 though, as I've barely played that console this year.

I got up to the level with the hover bike section in Contra III, but kept dying in the area where you have to take down the ship above you. I agree that the game's awesome, but it's gonna take me some practice to get through it.

I also don't have a PS4 yet, so gonna play on my original PS2. Have a fresh PS2 memory card I bought at the end of last year as well just for this game, since my others were full. Looking forward to finally experiencing it.
PretentiousHipster
64-bit

by PretentiousHipster Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:33 pm

Looks like I beat Doom. The 4th episode had a really underwhelming ending though. I'll definitely play Sigil as that seems to be the official 5th episode before judging it. I'll probably have my thoughts about it ready in 2-3 weeks.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:35 pm

I've been working to polish off Dragon Quest 4 (which could have made the list itself, but I'd already started it when I posted the thread) before the end of the month, so that when May 1st rolls around I can jump into this. I plan to start off with Super Tennis.
PretentiousHipster
64-bit

by PretentiousHipster Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:50 am

Sigil is a pretty great 5th episode, but I'm pretty sure a level broke on me. I hope it was just me being dumb though because a broken level would be quite disappointing.

I realize that Doom is known for its modding community since 1994. Should I try a few out before finalizing my thoughts on it? If so, then which ones? I won't dive too deep into it for now, but perhaps it could make a good supplementary video on my channel for looking more in-depth into mods.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

by CFFJR Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:44 pm

I've been thinking about trying to participate again this year. Here's some options I've come up with. It's rpg heavy, but I've been in the mood for that lately.

Grandia
Xenosaga Episode 1
Shadow Hearts
Final Fantasy VIII
Dragon Quest V
Persona 3 FES
Okami
Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Snatcher
Mother 3
Monster World IV
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
Donkey Kong Country 3
Perfect Dark

Threw Perfect Dark on there since other people are playing it.
I've played 1/3-1/2 of DKC 3, but never got close to finishing it. Here because Prof. is considering it.
And I played a couple of hours worth of FF8... back when it came out.

Other than that, these would all be fresh experiences for me (other than familiarity with the series some of them come from).
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Fri May 01, 2020 7:27 am

I havent played alot of those RPG's but I absolutely loved the shadow hearts series and panzer dragoon saga, both fantastic games.

I bought saga when it was new for retail price and sold it a while ago for like 350 because I was hard up for money, I see that game selling for $1000 now which is just completely asinine, do you own the original or are you emulating it?
CFFJR
Next-Gen

by CFFJR Fri May 01, 2020 7:05 pm

pook99 wrote:I havent played alot of those RPG's but I absolutely loved the shadow hearts series and panzer dragoon saga, both fantastic games.

I bought saga when it was new for retail price and sold it a while ago for like 350 because I was hard up for money, I see that game selling for $1000 now which is just completely asinine, do you own the original or are you emulating it?

That's good to hear. Shadow Hearts in particular doesn't seem to come up in discussion much, but when it does the response is always super positive.

As for PDS, sadly I don't have an original. And because of those nutty prices, I never will. I've spent some dumb money on games before, but a grand is way past the limit. I'm sorry you had to sell your copy.

I was planning to burn some discs to play on my Saturn. I have a Pseudo Saturn cartridge and it works great for that.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
lordb0rb4
32-bit

by lordb0rb4 Sun May 03, 2020 5:40 am

It's been a while but the Summer Challenge is when i'm most excited to post here.
So, a couple months (Years already?) i asked you guys what's the best entry point to the Metroid universe and although Fusion was deemed NOT the ideal one i finished it yesterday and now it's my first game on 2020's Summer Games Challenge.
The difficulty is crushing as warned here but the graphics, sound, gameplay and overall polish of the game really outshines this "flaw", as an early adopter of the GBA, few games comes close to a complete package as Metroid Fusion IMO.
The atmosphere is another point that i can't leave behind simply because it's a selling point alone in my book, great feat for a portable game.
Mind you that's my first time playing a Metroid game and the mindset needed for the game is another thing that surprised me, having to track secret walls and using the powers to reach point on the map was refreshing as i'm a more "arcadey" type of gamer.
Which leaves me to my final time to beat the game, 4:47 in-game time but Retroarch gives me 10 hours :lol:
I'm VERY happy and proud to finally give this series a go. 8)

As always do not mind my english please.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Racketboy Summer Games Challenge 2020 - begin when ready

by alienjesus Fri May 08, 2020 2:54 pm

So, I took a bit longer getting started than I meant to due to lots of shitty real-world stuff, but I finally dived in and began my summer games list.

I decided to start with Super Tennis, and it initally was not going well and I was getting very angry. In the end I ended up watching a speedrunners guide for the game (there's not a lot of useful info out there) and it's much more manageable now, whilst still not being a total pushover. If anyone is wondering, the main difference in how I play is using the top spin more (X button) for returns as the computer struggles more with them, and using slow and low serves with lots of spin on them (R button + A button) when serving.

I also found out that there are 8 tournaments - 4 minors and 4 majors. Minors are 1 set per match until the finals where it's a 3 set match, and majors are 1 set per match, 3 in the semi final and a full 5 set match in the finals. You get points depending on your placement (more for majors than minors), and overall you're just aiming to have the most points by the end of all 8 tournaments.

One extra considerations is that if you play multiple tournaments in a row, your player is slower at moving around the court. I'm unclear if this is on your 2nd or 3rd tournament, but either way you're meant to skip a few. So I played through the first 2 tournaments today - 1 minor and 1 major, and then skipped the third (minor) tournament. I'll probably play the 4th, 6th and 8th now and skip every other one, so it might not take too long to get through this after all.

I'll probably pick up one of my longer games next/alongside this one - Fire Emblem 4 is the likely target as I made a start on it during last year's challenge.
Return to General Gaming