Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Racketboy Summer Games Challenge 2020 - lets make plans

by BoneSnapDeez Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:06 pm

Chrono Trigger is basically the perfect JRPG. Play that.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:20 pm

pook99 wrote:@aj: good list, I looked at your draft list, I would replace pilotwings with zone of the enders, I played pilotwings when it was fresh and new and I was just always found it kind of boring and more of a tech demo than a game, ZOE is a really fun action game that is very unique and worth a play through

I personally have not thought about this yet but it may be a good time to start, maybe if I start early I can actually accomplish some of my goals. Just spitballing some games that spring to mind:

1. castlevania: harmony of dissonance
2. Mega Man zero 1-4 (might start with 2)
3. Metroid fusion or zero mission
4. Metroid Prime 3
5. Super Mario 3d world (is this game old enough to qualify)
6. Perfect dark or Perfect Dark zero
7. Muramasa the demon blade ( I have seen it on enough best of wii games to qualify it as a classic)
8. Epic Mickey (wii)
9. Zelda skyward sword or twilight princess
10. Last story
11. Chrono Trigger
12. Shining force 2
13. New Zealand story
14. Shinobi (which version should I play of the original shinobi)
15. Sonic 06 (do games like this count as classic?? )
16. A ratchet and clank game on ps3
17. Final Fantasy tactics or FFT advance
18. Kirby and the amazing mirror
19. Metal Slug advance
20. Shadow of colussus (I will play it on ps4 but it is still the same game as the ps2 as far as I know with better graphics)
21. resident evil code veronica (I can do this for together retro and it is still the only mainline RE game I have not played except for re3make which I am going to play soon)

thats 20 + off the top of my head, I'll try and narrow it down some.

I'll consider whether to put ZotE into my list.

From your shortlist, these are the ones I would say are the most fitting
1. castlevania: harmony of dissonance
3. Metroid fusion or zero mission
4. Metroid Prime 3
6. Perfect dark
9. Zelda twilight princess
11. Chrono Trigger
12. Shining force 2
13. New Zealand story
14. Shinobi
17. Final Fantasy tactics or FFT Advance
20. Shadow of colussus
21. resident evil code veronica

A lot of the others are a bit less obviously classic in my eyes, or are more cult classic games.
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:42 pm

@Bone: I definitely need to play chrono trigger, it has been on my list forever and everyone I know is constantly trying to get me to play it. Oddly enough I did play through chrono cross, which I enjoyed.

@aj: I mostly agree with how you have narrowed the list down, I will definitely play one one of the Mega Man zero games which didnt make your cut, and will likely play skyward sword over twilight princess. I will also probably only pick one between final fantasy tactics or shining force 2. I absolutely loved shining force which I played for the first time last year so I will probably pick that over tactics, but I have heard very good things about tactics and have wanted to play it for a long time.
Note
32-bit

by Note Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:34 pm

Pook, do yourself a favor and play Shining Force 2. Such a great game ... it's probably my favorite RPG. I try to revisit it every few years.
PretentiousHipster
64-bit

by PretentiousHipster Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:20 pm

I never beat Chrono Trigger, but I did buy the original cartridge like 10 years ago and tried it out and loved it. Will definitely get around to it eventually.

Completed the second chapter in Doom. It was definitely a case of being spoiled with modern day shooters because I finding myself getting used to level design and the lack of the ability to move vertically. I'm barely getting lost anymore since it usually just comes down to simple deduction when looking at the map.

So far I am loving this. Should I try out the Tech Gone Bad mod when I'm done with this? It was made by John Romero.
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:54 pm

Note wrote:Pook, do yourself a favor and play Shining Force 2. Such a great game ... it's probably my favorite RPG. I try to revisit it every few years.

definitely high on my list, I never played shining force until last year. I had a heart attack scare (it turned out to be nothing) but I was in the hospital for 2 days and started playing shining force on my phone, it completely made me forget all the needles and tubes sticking out of me, definitely an amazing game and I I have heard nothing but great things about the sequel
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:49 am

On the phone!

Your post reminded me.... Anyone remember the Sega compilation for Palm OS devices?
https://www.amazon.com/Palm-P10923U-Pal ... B000095SMW
PretentiousHipster
64-bit

by PretentiousHipster Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:30 pm

No offense but Mount Erebus and Road to Limbo were the worst, especially the latter. I do appreciate that it goes completely against your instincts in order for you to find the exit, but my god all the hidden teleporters and switches in Road to Limbo. After walking around for like 30 minutes I gave in and watched a video guide of it, and even after seeing it I was completely lost. I'm not the smartest tbh, but I'm decent at puzzle and point and click adventures, and this was definitely more difficult than most of those.
Note
32-bit

by Note Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:51 pm

pook99 wrote:definitely high on my list, I never played shining force until last year. I had a heart attack scare (it turned out to be nothing) but I was in the hospital for 2 days and started playing shining force on my phone, it completely made me forget all the needles and tubes sticking out of me, definitely an amazing game and I I have heard nothing but great things about the sequel

Sorry to hear about your health scare, but I'm glad that Shining Force brought you some joy and distraction during a rough time. I think you'll really enjoy the sequel too, whenever you get a chance to play it. Also, look forward to discussing it with you. As I mentioned before, it's one of my favorite games so I'll never pass up the opportunity to talk about it. Lol.
Note
32-bit

by Note Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:09 pm

There’s a lot of great games I enjoy that I never sat down to finish, so there’s a lot I could’ve chosen to focus on for the summer challenge. But I had to narrow it down, and went with these titles. This is my first time participating in the summer challenge, as I usually try to take advantage of the warmer weather and enjoy time outside, but with that most likely not possible this year, I can pivot to focus on some gaming. Hopefully I can get through these titles!

1. RPG - Skies of Arcadia (DC)
This is a game I’ve wanted to play for years, and finally purchased it earlier this month. With May’s TR being Dreamcast themed, I’m hoping I’ll be able to finish the game within that month, but I’m aware it’s pretty long. I purchased a new VMU last fall, so hopefully won’t have any tech issues while trying to get through it.

2. Lightgun - House of the Dead 2 (DC)
I’m a big fan of lightgun games, and this is a title my friend had growing up that I enjoyed playing. I never got around to buying my own copy until the fall. However, I don’t own the DC Mad Catz lightgun, so I gotta get on that so I can play it on my CRT setup.

3. FPS - Perfect Dark (N64)
I got this game for Christmas around the time it was released and played through a portion of it, but never really gave it the time it deserves. I haven’t played any FPS games this year, except for a bit of Zero Tolerance on the Genesis, so an FPS title would be a good change of pace for me.

4. Run & Gun - Contra III: The Alien Wars (SNES)
The atmosphere of this game scared the crap outta me when I was a little kid. Lol. But it stuck with me, I’ve always been a Contra fan since I saw my cousins playing this in the early 90’s. This is another game I played through large portions of but never finished it, so I’m hoping to finally beat it.

5. Shmup - Lightening Force (GEN)
I’ve binged on shooters the past month or so, and while I’ve played through the first level or two of this title, I haven’t finished it before. Hopefully I can beat the game this summer, but I’m aware this game’s pretty tough.

6. Action/Adventure - Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)
I also wanted to play this game for years, and finally purchased it for myself around Christmas 2018. However, after finally getting the original PS2 version, I still didn’t find time to play it. I also bought a new memory card for PS2 last year, so hopefully I can sit down and complete it later in the summer.
Return to General Gaming