Racketboy Summer Games Challenge 2020 - begin when ready!

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Markies
Next-Gen

Re: Racketboy Summer Games Challenge 2020 - begin when ready

Post by Markies »

As you probably know, the NA version of Streets of Rage 3 is very bad. It's the Japanese version on hard mode, so it is very brutal.

If you can, I'd play Bare Knuckle 3 if you can. I played a Reproduction Cart and it fixed so many of the gameplay issues.

For the sound and visuals, nothing can fix those. The music is bad and very grating. The visuals look worse than Streets of Rage 2.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Oh boy...Streets of Rage 3 is bad. Like, really bad. The graphics are worse; the music isn’t as good; the stages are way too long; the enemies are way too fast and take too many hits; weapons are now breakable; and the game is just way too hard. (The improved enemy AI might have been nice, but here it just piles on overwhelming difficulty. After handling Streets of Rage and Streets of Rage 2, we barely made it past the second level before running out of continues. No thanks.. I’ll save-state my way through it for content tourism purposes, but there’s no way I’m putting in the effort necessary for a legit run of this bad game.

I agree with Markies - give Bare Knuckle 3 a go before you completely write it off. It still has some of the issues (though I don't hate the experimental soundtrack as much as some do, I kinda like it) but the difficulty is much easier. I personally think it's slightly easier than SoR1 and fairly equivalent with 2 when you do.

The game also has some interesting new quirks worth exploring - the special move bar for example, and the unlockable characters. If you want to know how to play as a couple of those, here's some methods for you, in spoilers:

When you land the final hit on the first boss (Shiva) hold down the B button from the moment you make the hit until stage 2 starts. Then, next time you game over, you'll be able to choose another character when you continue.

When you fight the mid-boss of stage 2 (the clown & kangaroo) make sure to defeat the clown without defeating the kangaroo. Again, upon continuing there will be another character option.

Finally, if you do play the Japanese version you will encounter a very uncomfortable stereotyped gay man as mid boss in stage 1. If you hold A from the moment he is defeated until the next part of the level starts, another character will be available upon continuing.

I started up Final Fantasy VI yesterday myself. I played through some early areas of the game, and got up to the point where Sabin first joins the party. Thoughts so far:

Edgar is pretty OP this early on. His Auto-crossbow tool does more damage to everyone than anyone else can do to a single target.

Locke is a crap thief. He fails like 90% of the time and the 10% of the time he is successful he steals a tonic.

Although I appreciate story so far, it feels a bit rushed. We barely got to see that there was something that drove Edgar and Sabin apart before they were happily reunited.

The game sure is pretty though!
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

Going to also agree that the japanese version of streets of rage 3 is far superior, it is still not as good as 2 but it is a decent enough game, I also think you can get a rom hack of the import version translated into english which gives you the best of both worlds
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I think I’ll just pick up the Sega Genesis collection for the Switch the next time on sale in the eShop. I’ve held off because I own so may of those games so many times over, but the inclusion of Alien Soldier and the Japanese version of SoR3, plus the convenience of playing the games on my Switch (as opposed to my PSP or RG350) probably justifies the $12 sale price.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I think I’ll just pick up the Sega Genesis collection for the Switch the next time on sale in the eShop. I’ve held off because I own so may of those games so many times over, but the inclusion of Alien Soldier and the Japanese version of SoR3, plus the convenience of playing the games on my Switch (as opposed to my PSP or RG350) probably justifies the $12 sale price.

It's also a nice way to play the superior Japanese version of Dynamite Headdy!
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

1- Fantasy Zone - SMS
2- Castlevania: Circle of the Moon - GBA
3- Dragon Warrior 2 - GBC
4- Persona 3 FES - PS2
5- Ys: The Vanished Omens - MSDOS
6- Fire Emblem - GBA
7- Hello Kitty World - Famicom
8- Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - NES
9- Jackal - NES
10- Rush'n Attack - NES

So besides a Hello Kitty game, I've mostly ignored my list this summer. :lol:

I will probably play Fantasy Zone some this evening. Dragon Warrior 2 put me in a bad mood after the running around it made me do right off the bat. Persona 3 I played about 7 hours; I do want to play that some more... It's kinda hard for me to stick to a list. lol I tend to play what I want on a whim.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

Metroid prime trilogy came in the mail today, definitely want to start playing prime 1 soon, really excited to play that game with motion controls.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Here’s my list:

Donkey Kong Country*
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3

King’s Field
Metal Gear (NES)
Silent Hill
Streets of Rage*
Streets of Rage 2*

Streets of Rage 3
Super Baseball 2020

I just left Silent Hill. Has a pretty good time and picked up a few things: a handgun, a shotgun, a rifle, a hand ax, a really big hammer, a boatload of ammo, and...oh, yeah...a baby. Not sure how that happened or what was going on, but the whole experience was pretty cool. Also, the credits have really great music. Really, really solid game. I’m glad I finally beat it. Thanks, Summer Games Challenge!
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Which ending did you get?
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

opa wrote:Which ending did you get?

I didn’t save Cybil - she was killed by a series of shotgun blasts, unfortunately - but I did all of the stuff with the hotel and the doctor. Accordingly, I got the “good” ending.

Note: I’m not saying who killed Cybil with a volley of shotgun blasts. I’ll just note that mistakes were made, things were missed, and someone, not saying who, didn’t want to play through the Alchemila Hospital section again to rectify his or her errors. As a result, someone, I’m not saying who, really had no choice but to kill Cybil if he or she wanted to complete the game.