How many games have you beaten in your life?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
pook99
128-bit

How many games have you beaten in your life?

Post by pook99 »

Kind of an obtuse question and I don't think anyone has the answer to it, I certainly don't for myself. But has anyone on this board ever tried to compile a list of games they have beaten in their life? Most of us are in our 30's/40's and have been gaming our whole life, we keep track of our games beaten each year and post in on here, each of us individually has probably gone through 100's of games, if not numbers over 1000.

Have you ever wondered? Have you ever tried to compile a list? How would you go about it?
MrPopo

Re: How many games have you beaten in your life?

Post by MrPopo »

That's what Backloggery is for. I'll be hitting my 1000th beaten game sometime this year.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

I have been recording how many games I have beaten since 2010 and am currently sitting at 502. Lot of time left in the year I guess.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

I know I've beaten more games than just on my Games Beaten threads here, but I've replayed so many games during my time recording what I've beaten that it's really hard to say. I never owned a tooooon of games growing up, but I'm also one of the younger members on the site (I'm only 24 :mrgreen: ), so it'd make sense I've beaten a lot less games than y'all. If I had to hazard I guess, I'd say like 300 at the least and 350 at the most.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Somewhere in the hundreds. I don't keep firm records, and I replay looooots of games.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I don't know for sure since a decent chunk of my Backloggery entries are repeats (Doom on SNES, Doom on 32X, Doom on Jaguar, Doom on Saturn, etc), but according to Backloggery, I'm at 1490. I'd estimate the reality is somewhere between 850 and 1000.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Hmmm, probably around 600 excluding repeats/dlc. And depends what you mean beat as well really but yeah 600ish sounds fair.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

@Elkin: yeah, I have the same conundrum, not sure if I should count games beaten on different platforms as different games. I mean, in a case like Strider on NES vs Genesis, its an easy yes since they are different games, but I have beaten dragons lair 2 on the arcade, PC, and switch, I guess I would only count that as one game since they are all identical but I'm not really sure

@Bonesnap: based on the sheer amount of obscure stuff you throw at us I would have to assume you are over 1000, of course you would know better than me.

@president leever: emulation is a godsend for beating and playing old games. Without the convenience of emulators I wouldnt have nearly the numbers that I do

@MrPopo: I just checked out backloggery, pretty cool, wish I knew about that years ago

@emwearz: Prior to when you started keeping track would you say you beat a lot of games?

@partridge: 24 and over 300 games is pretty impressive, my number was definitely much lower than that when I was your age

@Sload: generally I classify beat as either seeing the end credits roll (regardless of settings or completion) or if it is a looping game it is beat once you play through all the stages once.

I have been keeping track of my games beaten since 2015 as well, prior to that my games beaten has to go just on memory. Earlier today I decided to pull up a list of NES games and make a list of all the games on that system I have beaten. My count, which is probably a pretty good estimate, is 176. I also feel pretty confident that the amount of NES games I have beaten will far surpass any other console so figuring out the other lists will probably be easier.

The exception to that is the PC, steam is easy to keep track of because I put all my beaten games in a subfolder which currently sits at 680 but does not include PC games outside of steam that I have beaten.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I actually stop playing many games before the final battle.
Is that normal?
Like I played through Final Fantasy 7 three times before I descended the final cave.
I spent years on Final Fantasy 8 which I bought first day. I didn't see the ending until years later, and it was on a PC with saves imported off my Pocket Station and it took some hex editing to get everything continuous.
I have so many unfinished games.
Final answer is between 200 and 400 legit. I spent a few years with Gameshark and Hex editing - The slimey underbelly of game appreciation. I needed to know if there was more - what could be gained and appreciated? Not beat if modified IMO.

What is the furthest you can stretch a games appreciation before you get caught licking the bottom of an inside-out bag? It was for science! I answered some FAQ questions!
:lol:
No high scores are ganed, but a save game stretched over years is still legit if it was completed using unknowable arcane knowledge outside of it's physical contact...Right?

I still haven't powered up a Muramasa in SotN. Until I kill Dracula with a fully powered swipe I still have a reason to replay it. Those that have done this have truly beaten it.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

That’s a really good question...I’ve been playing a long time, but I’ve only made concerted efforts to get through tough games as an adult (and just about every game when I was a kid was really tough...you youngsters these days have it so easy!). My guess is that I’m between 750 and 1000 since I beat between 50 and 100 games a year and don’t replay a lot of games. I don’t really know though.