Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Fun Topic:Whats the worst graphics on a game you had pla

by RCBH928 Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:15 am

Any one thinks bad graphics can be good as in it adds to the scare factor of a horror game? Some horror films aficionados thinks so by watching horror movies on VHS tapes. I am guessing the older format and lower quality adds to the experience and I can see their point. I think the bad graphics and tank controls of RE did just that.

isiolia wrote:There are probably some cases where creating new textures is the way to go, but in a lot of cases it's more a matter of upscaling them and doing some filtering or other cleaning up. It's actually something we're probably going to see a lot more of as time goes on, as applying machine learning AI techniques to it can get some very good results (article here from a year ago with some examples and links). There's also potential for using it to upscale old TV shows and the like better than before (for example).

So the process is automated? Just add the texture files into a software, take the output files and replace them with the original ones? Those enhancements are amazing, I would think someone redrew these especially that house image.

PresidentLeever wrote:That's fair, and they are more like 32-bit plus. Same with Shovel Knight and the like for 2D, as in you won't see things like slowdown or flicker and they add some minor things like a few additional colors and higher res. It's more like how we want to remember those generations when devs revisit their aesthetics.

You are right, but 2D enhancements are a lot less subtle than 3D ones, I think you can fool someone into thinking that Shovel Knight is a Genesis game. The same could be said about a 3D game like Dusk, but Dusk intentionally released to appeal to the retro/nostalgic crowd while I think SK is more mainstream.

marurun wrote:Probably goes without saying that Virtual Hydlide on Saturn just looks awful. Another one of those early 3D games where a company just had no idea how to make the transition, in part because 3D was so new for games and in part because they probably didn't have the resources to do anything that wasn't crap.

That is a bad one, but I do appreciate the creative efforts of the 90s where they tried to innovate and push the limits than just release replicates. I wonder if people perceived this as "realistic" or bad graphics at the time of release.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Re: Fun Topic:Whats the worst graphics on a game you had pla

by isiolia Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:21 pm

RCBH928 wrote:So the process is automated? Just add the texture files into a software, take the output files and replace them with the original ones? Those enhancements are amazing, I would think someone redrew these especially that house image.

There's a large chunk of it that's automated, but as the article points out, it'll usually still take a lot of work in addition to that. Could be though that, over time, tools will produce better and better results off the bat (sort of the idea of machine learning in the first place).
Return to General Gaming