Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
marurun

Re: Fun Topic:Whats the worst graphics on a game you had pla

by marurun Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:00 pm

Anyone who feels like they want to go after folks in this thread (or any other) will be moderated.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
PresidentLeever
Next-Gen

by PresidentLeever Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:18 pm

Dude seriously? Well I've contacted Nick via mail, hopefully he can talk some sense into you.

For the record, marurun is deleting comments and banning me on the sly. Backing them up for when he's cooled off.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
marurun

by marurun Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:16 pm

I am deleting offensive comments and I banned you for a day for your last transgression. Nothing happened on the sly. Moderation tends to remain private, but since you decided to air it out... but by all means, contact the site owner. That’s what he’s there for.

And that’s enough on that in this thread.
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:05 am

PresidentLeever wrote:Regarding new games in the 32-bit style, there was Ion Fury and that quake-style FPS recently, which were both well received. Sonic Mania had 32-bit style bonus levels. Maybe there's more.

Yes Ion Fury looks good to me, but it was made to mimic 32-bit generation, something tells me it won't look like that if it was released for PSX. I guess there are atleast more polygons, higher texture, and higher resolution. I doubt even the Dreamcast can look that good, but I don't know.

PretentiousHipster wrote:
marurun wrote:There’s an HD mod for Anachronox? That was a game with a lot of promise that I just didn’t manage to make much progress in, for whatever reason..

https://www.moddb.com/mods/anachronox-g ... hancements

The online community never ceases to amaze me, who would release HD mod for an obscure game from 20 years ago. How do they even do these, do they recreate the texture for the whole game?

marurun wrote:Blazing Heroes, aka Mystaria, aka Riglord Saga, on Saturn. Low frame rate 3D environments with ugly textures and low-quality, pre-rendered sprites for objects, characters, and many effects. And that’s just too bad, because it’s actually a really good game, a really ugly good game.

I looked at videos from youtube, the graphics look on par with 32-bit but something is off setting. Maybe its the art style or perspective, but its not pleasing to look at.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:42 am

RCBH928 wrote:The online community never ceases to amaze me, who would release HD mod for an obscure game from 20 years ago. How do they even do these, do they recreate the texture for the whole game?

There are probably some cases where creating new textures is the way to go, but in a lot of cases it's more a matter of upscaling them and doing some filtering or other cleaning up. It's actually something we're probably going to see a lot more of as time goes on, as applying machine learning AI techniques to it can get some very good results (article here from a year ago with some examples and links). There's also potential for using it to upscale old TV shows and the like better than before (for example).
PresidentLeever
Next-Gen

by PresidentLeever Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:17 pm

RCBH928 wrote: Yes Ion Fury looks good to me, but it was made to mimic 32-bit generation, something tells me it won't look like that if it was released for PSX. I guess there are atleast more polygons, higher texture, and higher resolution. I doubt even the Dreamcast can look that good, but I don't know.

That's fair, and they are more like 32-bit plus. Same with Shovel Knight and the like for 2D, as in you won't see things like slowdown or flicker and they add some minor things like a few additional colors and higher res. It's more like how we want to remember those generations when devs revisit their aesthetics.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:26 pm

Here’s a game I found in the eShop recently:

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/demon-pit-switch/

Here’s another relatively recent game for the Wii U;

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/vaccine-wii-u/

An intentional throwback to 1990s gameplay AND textures!
PresidentLeever
Next-Gen

by PresidentLeever Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:27 pm

I dig the first one. Grainy textures 'n all! Second one has pretty generic artwork and lack of lighting and/or fog holding it back I think.

There was also this game reviewed by super bunnyhop which had a kind of abstract art style and some horror elements IIRC, let's see..

Nope, sorry. But I did find that Quake-like game again and it's called Dusk.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXrgcxOvF1c

Then there's Proteus which kinda goes pre 32-bit in terms of detail and models, it's almost "atari but in 3d", but could probably only be done properly on an arcade system if done before that gen because of the draw distance.

Give it another year or two and there's probably a youtube video talking about all of these.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:29 am

FF7 has ropey Roblox people for characters but they have charm and the backgrounds are amazing. I think the worst offenders in the 32-bit era were ones where you had that morphing effect, dark areas and, my least favourite, terrible draw distances all combine to really scrape against your retinas. For that I'd say Nightmare Creatures is pretty bad off the top of my head.

I played Evergrace on PS2 recently and that looks like a more polished Net Yaroze game. Honestly, a lot of Fromsoft's early PS1/2 stuff looks like crap. Eternal Ring, King's Field, Evergrace, even I think some bits of the first two Armored Cores are fall into the morph/dark/distance Bermuda Triangle. Evergrace unfortunately also plays like crap unlike the others so that really doesn't help.
marurun

by marurun Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:37 am

Probably goes without saying that Virtual Hydlide on Saturn just looks awful. Another one of those early 3D games where a company just had no idea how to make the transition, in part because 3D was so new for games and in part because they probably didn't have the resources to do anything that wasn't crap.
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
Return to General Gaming