Fun Topic:Whats the worst graphics on a game you had played?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Fun Topic:Whats the worst graphics on a game you had pla

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Yes
marurun

Post by marurun »

RCBH928 wrote:
marurun wrote:IMO the major characteristic that defined 3D on the Saturn and especially PlayStation. Was jittery textures, warped textures, and snapping and popping of polygons. Basically, highly unstable 3D that was constantly in flux.

Since those usually always come combined with low-poly, I may have been mixing the two. Can a game look good with low-poly but with stable 3D and high res. textures?idk

Yes, in fact they can. I mean, when you look at old games, the original arcade Virtua Fighter was pretty solid and stable, though very light on textures. Doom on PC was low poly and had mangy-looking textures but still actually holds up. And there's been a bevy of new FPS games that are low-poly but with colorful and interesting textures. If your designs take into account the low poly count you can make them look pretty good.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
marurun

Post by marurun »

PresidentLeever wrote:The NES comment was a joke based on maurun's comment, but they are a part of the experience of course. Just strikes me as not seeing the forest for the trees.

Actually, the authentic NES graphical experience IS pretty defined, at least in part, by the loading buffer, flicker, and slowdown. I mean, it's a holistic thing, but those flaws are a characteristic part of the experience, because it's a unique combo not shared by any other platform, AFAIK.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I’m more of a “tell me what’s in the glass, first” kinda guy.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
marurun

Post by marurun »

PresidentLeever wrote:More like a "I know it's a good drink, but I don't like the color of that straw so let's focus on that" kinda guy.

Yes, please, go ahead and trivialize me. I appreciate that. And yes, I can tell you quite often that even on some of the better NES games flicker and slowdown was simply part of the experience. One of my favorite titles suffered mightily and yet that flaw was just part of the whole picture. I see no value in romanticizing these older systems. My appreciation for them is “warts and all.”
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
AznKhmerBoi
Next-Gen

Post by AznKhmerBoi »

Minecraft. Just looks ugly to me.
PSN- jacktsang05
WiiU- jacktsang05

RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

PresidentLeever wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:"What I said is that I don't see that people like the low polygons which were the 32-bit."

And I said you've already been shown wrong there. And now you were again.

Kinda ironic how you have a Saturn logo as your profile pic if you dislike the look of those games, unless you're mainly into the 2D games.

The NES comment was a joke based on maurun's comment, but they are a part of the experience of course. Just strikes me as not seeing the forest for the trees.

We can settle this by having a vote in the forum to choose 2 generations graphics style they would enjoy to play a new game with and see how many choose 32-bit as part of it without consideration for nostalgia . We can have:
*8-Bit
*16-bit
*32-bit
*128-bit
*modern

I like 32-bit but for nostalgic reasons, not because I think it looks good.

marurun wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:
marurun wrote:IMO the major characteristic that defined 3D on the Saturn and especially PlayStation. Was jittery textures, warped textures, and snapping and popping of polygons. Basically, highly unstable 3D that was constantly in flux.

Since those usually always come combined with low-poly, I may have been mixing the two. Can a game look good with low-poly but with stable 3D and high res. textures?idk

Yes, in fact they can. I mean, when you look at old games, the original arcade Virtua Fighter was pretty solid and stable, though very light on textures. Doom on PC was low poly and had mangy-looking textures but still actually holds up. And there's been a bevy of new FPS games that are low-poly but with colorful and interesting textures. If your designs take into account the low poly count you can make them look pretty good.

I would like to see examples of low polygon games but with higher resolution and texture. Just to be clear, when I used the term "low-poly" I meant 32-bit generation 3D and earlier. I have seen some N64 games with HDMI mod and they look awesome to me, but that is because I have a soft spot for N64. My understanding is that many people do not like the N64 3D looks.
Last edited by RCBH928 on Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I’m twisting nothing. This is a discussion of bad graphics. Disagree all you want. Good-natured ribbing is fine, but you’re being an ass. Don’t be an ass.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
marurun

Post by marurun »

It started playful, but you persisted. Now it’s time for you to back off. May I also advise that taking swipes at mods is not the best way to remain in good standing.

Please take your biting “wit” to a different thread. No more sniping at folks in this one.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

A fight about the semantics of bad graphics. How surreal lol.

I love how in forums fights start from the most random things. Other than politics where the fights are common, the biggest fight I've seen was on a film forum about pinku films.

The only time I got turned off by graphics was Anachronox. Other than that the game was awesome, but the recordings of it started lagging (from a 2001 game LOL) so I'll have to buy a new computer before trying it out. There was an HD mod that came out a few months ago though, and it helped the graphics quite a bit.