Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
PretentiousHipster
64-bit

Re: Games You Gave Up On 2020

by PretentiousHipster Fri May 08, 2020 10:52 am

I played Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts a while back and it was a masterpiece. Apparently I'm fucked up for thinking that, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's better than the N64 entries.
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Fri May 08, 2020 11:12 am

PretentiousHipster wrote:I played Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts a while back and it was a masterpiece. Apparently I'm fucked up for thinking that, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's better than the N64 entries.

Don't feel bad, I absolutely love resident evil 6 and metroid other m and most people think I'm crazy for that

I have never played any banjo game, but I know nuts and bolts is a departure for the series and that is usually all it takes for people to hate it.
marurun

by marurun Fri May 08, 2020 11:15 am

pook99 wrote:Don't feel bad, I absolutely love resident evil 6 and metroid other m and most people think I'm crazy for that

You are crazy, but we love you for it. I enjoy reading your thoughts on what you've played and why you do or don't like it.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri May 08, 2020 11:28 am

marurun wrote:
pook99 wrote:Don't feel bad, I absolutely love resident evil 6 and metroid other m and most people think I'm crazy for that

You are crazy, but we love you for it. I enjoy reading your thoughts on what you've played and why you do or don't like it.

My taste in games actually aligns really well with pook99’s. (I like Metroid Other M too, and I’m looking forward to RE6!) If he recommends something, I’m likely to try it out.

@pretentioushipster

I’ve also read that Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts is really good. I don’t think you’re way off base in really liking it.
PretentiousHipster
64-bit

by PretentiousHipster Fri May 08, 2020 11:31 am

Yea it was one of the first video reviews I wrote. Critics loved it, especially my favourite one Brad Shoemaker, but wow do the Banjo fans HATE it. I believe it's solely because it's so different from the N64 entries, and they were looking at it through a nostalgic lens. I talked to one person about it, and she said it sucks because "it's not a Banjo Kazooie game". Such a shame because if they went past that I'm sure they would realize how awesome it actually is.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri May 08, 2020 11:52 am

PretentiousHipster wrote:Yea it was one of the first video reviews I wrote. Critics loved it, especially my favourite one Brad Shoemaker, but wow do the Banjo fans HATE it. I believe it's solely because it's so different from the N64 entries, and they were looking at it through a nostalgic lens. I talked to one person about it, and she said it sucks because "it's not a Banjo Kazooie game". Such a shame because if they went past that I'm sure they would realize how awesome it actually is.

What a ridiculous criticism. It has Banjo Kazooie in the title, features the characters Banjo and Kazooie, was developed by the company that made the original Banjo Kazooie games, and published by the company that owns the Banjo Kazooie IP. Of course it’s a Banjo Kazooie game.

That criticism amounts to: “The game isn’t something that it isn’t, and I wanted it to be something else entirely.” It’d be like you making a video review of Fire Emblem Warriors and me responding, “That game sucks because it’s not a SRPG.” Uh...OK...People can have opinions, but despite the saying, they’re not actually entitled to them, especially when their opinions display such an extreme level of childish entitlement. :lol:
PretentiousHipster
64-bit

by PretentiousHipster Fri May 08, 2020 12:00 pm

Yea I've seen that criticism applied to Breath of the Wild as well. I do have some criticisms for it like the bad dungeon design, some shrines being repetitive, and the Korok seeds quest being ridiculous, but I've seen people say "it's not a Zelda game". It's funny because it takes lots of elements from the series. Similar gameplay to Skyward Sword, still based on dungeons, starting with Link sleeping, the open world feeling that the first one had, and at least partially having two worlds.

I've completed 8 Zelda games so far for my long-term ranking project, and seeing stuff like that is what worries me. There's another Zelda ranked video that honestly sucks, but the comments for it are just abysmal.
Note
32-bit

by Note Fri May 08, 2020 1:44 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:My taste in games actually aligns really well with pook99’s. (I like Metroid Other M too, and I’m looking forward to RE6!) If he recommends something, I’m likely to try it out.

Lol, I also gotta admit that I enjoyed RE6, even though it's a big departure and more of an action game than survival horror. My girlfriend and I played through most of the game in co-op mode. We had one campaign left to complete (Ada's), and were in the middle of it before everything was shut down. Hopefully we can finish it later in the year.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Fri May 08, 2020 2:48 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
PretentiousHipster wrote:Yea it was one of the first video reviews I wrote. Critics loved it, especially my favourite one Brad Shoemaker, but wow do the Banjo fans HATE it. I believe it's solely because it's so different from the N64 entries, and they were looking at it through a nostalgic lens. I talked to one person about it, and she said it sucks because "it's not a Banjo Kazooie game". Such a shame because if they went past that I'm sure they would realize how awesome it actually is.

What a ridiculous criticism. It has Banjo Kazooie in the title, features the characters Banjo and Kazooie, was developed by the company that made the original Banjo Kazooie games, and published by the company that owns the Banjo Kazooie IP. Of course it’s a Banjo Kazooie game.

That criticism amounts to: “The game isn’t something that it isn’t, and I wanted it to be something else entirely.” It’d be like you making a video review of Fire Emblem Warriors and me responding, “That game sucks because it’s not a SRPG.” Uh...OK...People can have opinions, but despite the saying, they’re not actually entitled to them, especially when their opinions display such an extreme level of childish entitlement. :lol:

It's not a totally invalid criticism though or at least it didn't seem it at the time. Nuts and Bolts deviates a lot from the previous two and while some found it good (I thought it was okay) it disappointed fans. Unlike Fire Emblem, B&K was a franchise that didn't have endless sequels, spin offs and guest appearances. It had been 8 years and a whole console generation between Tooie and Nuts&Bolts. So for a lot of people it really wasn't a Banjo Kazooie game in the same sense that new Contra game isn't seen as "proper" or how Yooka-Laylee was seen as more of a real sequel.
PresidentLeever
Next-Gen

by PresidentLeever Fri May 08, 2020 3:12 pm

Is Nuts & Bolts as much of a metroidvania-style game as Tooie is?

marurun wrote:
PresidentLeever wrote:Not to be dramatic but I really think mainstream gaming went astray when it came to pacing in that era, there's a lot of dead space and unskippable cutscenes as well and it's not uncommon in games from this time.

I think it really is a function of increased storage space and improved technology. When you suddenly have the ability to make larger worlds, doesn't always mean you have good ideas to fill those worlds with. And then you have all the budding filmmaker-wannabes making games. Super Mario 64 was arguably a collectathon, but the levels were all pretty tightly designed, and not every studio designed with as much care as Nintendo. And the usability affordances that come from allowing people to skip cut scenes and the like, well, I doubt folks like Kojima wanted people to miss all the important plot and allegory they embedded in those movies they tried to shove into their games. As technology enables new capabilities, people want to play with them. The wisdom of using those capabilities well always lags.

Sure. Well I'd be more forgiving about that with earlier 3D games, and I guess it was to be expected with MGS but Tooie is from 2000. Nintendo are definitely guilty of the same thing with OoT though and I'd say Mario 64 makes such mistakes too even if to a lesser extent.

Ninja Gaiden and Day of the Tentacle figured out cutscenes and dialogue scenes respectively, and that was back in the late 80s/early 90s.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
Return to General Gaming