Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
pook99
128-bit

Re: Games You Gave Up On 2020

by pook99 Fri May 01, 2020 7:24 am

@slode: although I enjoyed lords of shadow 1 and 2 I agree with your criticisms of the stealth sections. There are few things that annoy me more than you having to hide from some enemy only to have to fight them at the end of it anyway, like wtf are you hiding from??

The end game has you fighting both death and Satan which makes the stealth sections near the end even dumber, you mean I am strong enough to fight Satan one on one but this douche in red armor with a gun is too much for me to handle?!

I did enjoy the story of the game though, it does help to play mirror of fate in between lords of shadow 1 and 2 as it ties the 2 games together nicely. It certainly was a deviation from castlevania lore but I found it to be an interesting twist.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Fri May 01, 2020 11:21 am

I am about to give up on Indivisible... I am hoping someone talks me out of it first though.

I love the art and the charm - the characters are awesome and the dialog feels like it what Working Designs could have been without the crude and oddly placed humor.
The problem I have is the battle system... I just can't seem to get the hang of it.

I have played passed the fortress falling and am more frustrated with the battle system and am about to give up and officially put it on this list.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Sat May 02, 2020 10:33 pm

Started and stopped Devils Hunt on the PC today and I am super pissed off about it.

I played for about 4 hours and was really enjoying it, not the greatest game ever, but the combat was fun and I was enjoying the story. It is basically a 3d beat em up with a narrarative about heaven and hell, it was interesting and fun.

I made it to chapter 11 and took a break to do whatever, came back, and encountered a game breaking bug.

The way this game works is as you explore the environments you cant attack and when enemies appear your fists light up and you enter battle mode. When I reloaded my save there was a group of enemies standing around but battle mode never triggers, effectively locking me out of the game, there is no work around, no bug fix, no patch, so there is literally nothing I could do to progress.

Very annoying because I was really enjoying the game and even twice as annoying because this is the second time this happened to me this year, the other time being Pandoras tower on wii.

wtf
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Sun May 03, 2020 10:16 pm

pook99 wrote:The end game has you fighting both death and Satan which makes the stealth sections near the end even dumber, you mean I am strong enough to fight Satan one on one but this douche in red armor with a gun is too much for me to handle?!

Glad I didn't have to suffer through this, it might have led me to madness.

pook99 wrote:I did enjoy the story of the game though, it does help to play mirror of fate in between lords of shadow 1 and 2 as it ties the 2 games together nicely. It certainly was a deviation from castlevania lore but I found it to be an interesting twist.

I guess it's less about messing with the lore, Castlevania does that all the time, and more that it's hackneyed. In the first game Drac had to avenge a dead wife we never saw alive and in this one he's sad about a son he never even knew about. It's just really superficial and doesn't really fit for me. The better stuff is when the games are more gothic and campy like the bits with Satan and Carmilla in the first game or eating the family at the beginning of the second. More of that silliness I would have welcomed.
PresidentLeever
Next-Gen

by PresidentLeever Thu May 07, 2020 4:57 pm

Almost gave up on Banjo Tooie. Almost. Between missing some points of interest and getting stuck in the grunty industries level for like 1.5 hours, being interrupted by the security cameras over and over and the constant squeaking noise of the washing machine form mixed with crying and cheering from the rabbits, it was really close, but I eventually found the way to progress.

The game would be a lot better with a map system and a quest log for jiggies (apparently the latter is in the game, but only as a cheat even though it doesn't seem to spoil puzzles) and less backtracking. The framerate on N64 is also not great at times. Other than that it's pretty cool.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Thu May 07, 2020 7:14 pm

Even with a walkthrough, that game almost took me a month to beat.

For some jiggies, you really have to do like 2 hours of preparation and changing characters. If you do not have the patience or ready for some trial and error, I wish you luck.

There are parts that I like, but the game is way too damn long.
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Thu May 07, 2020 10:24 pm

the Banjo series was very off putting to me because of the stupid amounts of collectibles, I never played them but they seemed to be too much for me, same reason I never got into DK64.
PresidentLeever
Next-Gen

by PresidentLeever Fri May 08, 2020 6:02 am

Not to be dramatic but I really think mainstream gaming went astray when it came to pacing in that era, there's a lot of dead space and unskippable cutscenes as well and it's not uncommon in games from this time.

Tooie has lower collecting requirements but with all the back and forth you're doing it kinda ends up being the Shenmue of platformers at times.

Watching the SDA speedrun is really satisfying though.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
marurun

by marurun Fri May 08, 2020 9:15 am

PresidentLeever wrote:Not to be dramatic but I really think mainstream gaming went astray when it came to pacing in that era, there's a lot of dead space and unskippable cutscenes as well and it's not uncommon in games from this time.

I think it really is a function of increased storage space and improved technology. When you suddenly have the ability to make larger worlds, doesn't always mean you have good ideas to fill those worlds with. And then you have all the budding filmmaker-wannabes making games. Super Mario 64 was arguably a collectathon, but the levels were all pretty tightly designed, and not every studio designed with as much care as Nintendo. And the usability affordances that come from allowing people to skip cut scenes and the like, well, I doubt folks like Kojima wanted people to miss all the important plot and allegory they embedded in those movies they tried to shove into their games. As technology enables new capabilities, people want to play with them. The wisdom of using those capabilities well always lags.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri May 08, 2020 9:44 am

pook99 wrote:the Banjo series was very off putting to me because of the stupid amounts of collectibles, I never played them but they seemed to be too much for me, same reason I never got into DK64.

I beat it a couple of years ago for the first time. There’s a lot of stuff to collect, but it’s nonetheless a pretty solid 3D platformer. My main gripes were the antiquated camera and control scheme.
Return to General Gaming