Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
pook99
128-bit

Re: Games You Gave Up On 2020

by pook99 Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:08 pm

I have to officially give up on Pandaoras tower for wii, which is heartbreaking.

Let me be clear, this is one of the best games I have ever played on the wii and would easily jump into my top 5 wii games, right under punch out and Mario galaxy. Brilliant level design, engaging story which places a great emphasis on the relationship between main characters, and fierce bosses whom are all a ton of fun to fight. Blend that with a great battle mechanic that would feel right at home in a 3d castlevania and brilliant use of the wiimote and you have an instant classic

but...and this is a big big big but...there is a gamebreaking glitch. When you unlock the 11th and 12th tower (out of 13) a bug hits that when you try and reenter them the game crashes to the point the only way out is to physically unplug your wii and plug it back in.

Nobody fully understands this glitch and there are tons of fixes out there, none of which are guaranteed to work, and none that work every time. I got one fix to work one time and then the game crashed again.

So it is with an extremely heavy heart that I have to give up on this game, and I can honestly say I have never been so sad to have to give up on a game in my life, and unfortunately, given the age of the game, there will be no patch and no further understanding of the bug so I am boned, very very very sad.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:08 am

Played the last two games I was looking to try and beat on my Wii VC today.

Legend of Mystical Ninja's final boss is what finally broke me on that game. I'd already spent tons of attempts retrying and retrying the previous few levels, especially the ones where you gotta get up 1000 money to even start the action segments (which I can only assume is some kind of thing to push you towards doing the money making minigames? Giving them the benefit of the doubt that isn't there to simply waste my time Xp). But that last level is just so much. I can get to the final boss, but the time it takes to do it just to get one try and die (because your weapon gets weaker when you get HIT. WHY YOU DO THIS KONAMI) and that lack of range is a death sentence. I just remembered I actually also own this on my SFC Mini, so I'll give it a try again someday with save states, but I'm done trying to beat it the old fashioned way. I'd much rather put my time into one of 3 sequels I haven't played (played through Goemon 4 a few years back and loved it) than keep slamming my head into the final bit of the first one.

Beyond Oasis is a pretty fun little brawler-ish action/adventure game. Nice music, good grahpics: it's an all around fun time. That is until you get like an hour or so in and now there's tons of projectiles to dodge combined with platforming sections. That game is barely built for platforming, and that was something I lost patience for FAST. This is definitely a game I'm simply finished with forever. I've got better uses of my time than trying to master the annoying jumps in that game Xp
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:14 pm

Decided to try Alone in the Dark today for xbox 360, was in the mood for a survival horror game and I had that laying around from a recent bundle purchase so I figured why not

Have to say this is one of the most awful games I have ever played in my life, tons of instant deaths (with loads of checkpoints), trial and error game play, wonky controls, buttons that do different things in different contexts (ex: X jumps, but if you are on a rope B jumps off the rope. wtf), weird camera angles

I only played the game for maybe 30 minutes and it was just completely awful, I do think it was one of those games that could be classified is so bad its good, but you would need a group of people around to laugh at how awful everything is. I doubt anyone on this board was in any danger of stumbling onto this turd but if you were, definitely play something else.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:14 pm

Had to give up on Dex as my save file corrupted and I can't be arsed to replay the last 3 hours to recoup my progress. Also, I've put it as beaten but I think I'm done trying to 100% the adventure mode in Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled. More thoughts on why in the games beaten thread.
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:30 pm

I haven't given up yet, but I probably will soon. Bottom line is I absolutely hate doom eternal. I was so looking forward to it but every time I play it I find myself having absolutely no fun. I hate the level design, the map sucks, the platforming sections are horrible and out of place here, the guns feel underpowered, the ammo supply is way too low for a game like this, and the story is just a throwaway nonsense story that doesnt need to be here.

Nothing about this game feels like how I wanted it to feel, I love Doom, absolutely loved doom 2016, but this game is just terrible. I have been playing it all day and I have had zero fun, I am stepping away from it to play something else, I may or may not go back, but god this game is terrible so far.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:30 am

I think I'm putting Tales of Rebirth down again. I'm not giving up on it, per se, but I just don't have the motivation to keep going. There's enough other stuff I wanna play right now that I don't really see myself continuing with this. Some time in the future I'm sure I'll do a "I'M FINISHING IT THIS TIME" sorta thing like I did with BoFII earlier this year, but for now I'm putting it down. It's just such a by-the-numbers Tales game (even for a Tales game), and with how the story is presented it almost feels like the game itself knows that fact. It's felt like a pretty phoned-in experience so far, and I'd much rather get to something like BoF3 or keep playing stuff on the PS2 I got than keep pushing myself to get through a game I'm not really that into.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
PresidentLeever
Next-Gen

by PresidentLeever Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:14 am

Clock Tower (SNES, 1995) - 6? (WIP, maybe) - Poor controls, slow gameplay, bs deaths. The creativity and atmosphere is up there but don't make up for the rest.

Osomatsu-Kun (MD, 1988) - 5 - See the 1980s Genesis together retro thread

Asterix and the Power of the Gods (MD, 1995) - 5.5 - I tried for quite a bit to get into this as it's a sort of proto-metroidvania game and I made it about halfway, but there's just too much trial & error bs and instant death hazards. I watched a no death playthrough and wept instead.

Puyo Puyo (MD, 1992)(Scenario mode, normal) - 7 - Learned that I kinda suck at this game, 2fast4me

Alien 3 (MD, 1992) - 6.5 - Played a mod that makes it more forgiving but it's still too repetitive plus there are NO continues and NO checkpoints (wtf boom)

Paperboy (MD, 1991) - 5.5? - Hard, so-so controls/hit detection

Super Hang-On (MD, 1989) - 6? - Starts off too slow
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
Speedy-Mcspeedz
16-bit

by Speedy-Mcspeedz Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:55 pm

Ive givin up on silent hill and myst several times now. Myst is good but its more of a time thing, i refuse to look up anything and that takes more time of course. As for silent hill, the almighty horror game tank controls always seem to get me. (left no no back up, darn hes pointed right now etc)
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:24 pm

I'm officially quitting doom eternal. It took me a while to understand why I am not enjoying the game and it just comes down to pacing. When I'm in the fray shooting up demons I am generally having fun, although the combat is not without its problems, (IMO this is hands down the most over rated shooter of all time) it is still a good time.

My issue is that in between combat segments there are often long, boring, platforming and exploration segments that just completely suck the fun out of the game. I feel like these segments go on for far too long and the vast majority of my time is spent wandering environments, reading boring story notes (which I usually skip) and navigating terrible platforming challenges. Then a battle starts, it is fun for a few minutes, then immediately becomes mundane and boring as I navigate fairly long and unrewarding environments.

I just don't get how this game has been so well received. The shooting is solid (although over rated) but the down time far outweighs the shooting segments and I am bored for more than I am engaged.

Speedy-Mcspeedz wrote:Ive givin up on silent hill and myst several times now. Myst is good but its more of a time thing, i refuse to look up anything and that takes more time of course. As for silent hill, the almighty horror game tank controls always seem to get me. (left no no back up, darn hes pointed right now etc)

Old survival horror games are hard to go back to, I am probably going to try and play RE: code veronica for the first time soon, but after just replaying RE 4 on the wii and RE 3 remake on PS4 it is going to be very tough to adapt, and I'm not sure I actually will be able to.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:43 pm

Got two to add to my pile. First up is Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2. I had some hope that Mercurysteam would learn from their first attempt and could make a better attempt at translating 'Vania into a big budget 3D action game. Unfortunately they made a whole new bunch of mistakes instead. The most aggressive of these is the introduction of forced stealth sections and oh boy are they stinkers.

So, even though the twist with Lords of Shadow is that you play as Dracula himself, LoS2 forces you to prowl in the shadows, not because you're on the hunt for virgin blood, but merely because you slept too long you've turned into a wimp. COOL. These sections are very weak and are almost always followed by one where you murder around 100 monsters single handed so also seem out of place and kind of pointless. They've also kind of split the game into an overworld/underworld structure except it's kind of vague which one is which and whether it actually matters anyway as the game remains quite linear.

Combat remains as gormless as it did in Los which is really frustrating as a measure of progress is made by separating the holy/demon powers into two different weapons (a sword and cestus respectively) but you still mostly default to using the whip as the terrible magic system remains and the whip is still the best weapon for all situations. And worst of all the camera still remains far too withdrawn so useful moves like counters and blocks remain, in the main, off the table. This game was released a full year after Metal Gear Rising and four after Bayonetta and they thought this was acceptable. Zut alors!

There's also some story stuff that bothered me; I don't really like or get the Trevor Belmont is Alucard twist although I think Mirror of Fate is where that is really explored. It's also funny how they obviously realised they shouldn't have killed off a few characters in LoS so Carmilla is crowbarred in as is Drac's very dead wife.

The moment I gave up though was when I had to fight Pan. Basically there is a forced stealth section beforehand which is broken as it's actually better not to hide from him but to run away, go invisible, wait for him to leave and run again. It's not how the game wants you to do it and it's not foolproof but it worked eventually after some mounting frustration. However, I had made a mental note that I would be done with this game if we went through all that stealth shit only to fight him anyway...and guess what? You fight him anyway. Ha ha, very funny, now off to Gulag.

I also gave up on Captain Tsubasa Vol II: Super Striker. It's a weird soccer/JRPG hybrid game based on a cartoon of the same name. The game is pretty basic but quickly becomes a slog and the computer endlessly cheats. So, where you have a GUTS metre to decide if you can execute certain special moves to score goals or block shots, the computer has an endless supply of ridiculous moves that either block your best shots, dribble past your entire team or score from basically anywhere with basically no opportunity to retort. It's also kind of laughable as a soccer game as it can't get basic stuff like offside right and is bizarrely focused on the idea of a team being made up of one decent player and a load of hangers on which has never really been the case with any successful football team. It means that while the eponymous Tsubasa is great in nearly every department, it doesn't matter a whit because he can only play one position. There also isn't much RPG to the game outside of formation selection and some cutscenes of Tsubasa looking surprised someone else on another team can also kick a ball well. Big meh.
Return to General Gaming