Games You Gave Up On 2020

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Games You Gave Up On 2020

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

marurun wrote:
pook99 wrote:Don't feel bad, I absolutely love resident evil 6 and metroid other m and most people think I'm crazy for that

You are crazy, but we love you for it. I enjoy reading your thoughts on what you've played and why you do or don't like it.

My taste in games actually aligns really well with pook99’s. (I like Metroid Other M too, and I’m looking forward to RE6!) If he recommends something, I’m likely to try it out.

@pretentioushipster

I’ve also read that Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts is really good. I don’t think you’re way off base in really liking it.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Yea it was one of the first video reviews I wrote. Critics loved it, especially my favourite one Brad Shoemaker, but wow do the Banjo fans HATE it. I believe it's solely because it's so different from the N64 entries, and they were looking at it through a nostalgic lens. I talked to one person about it, and she said it sucks because "it's not a Banjo Kazooie game". Such a shame because if they went past that I'm sure they would realize how awesome it actually is.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

PretentiousHipster wrote:Yea it was one of the first video reviews I wrote. Critics loved it, especially my favourite one Brad Shoemaker, but wow do the Banjo fans HATE it. I believe it's solely because it's so different from the N64 entries, and they were looking at it through a nostalgic lens. I talked to one person about it, and she said it sucks because "it's not a Banjo Kazooie game". Such a shame because if they went past that I'm sure they would realize how awesome it actually is.

What a ridiculous criticism. It has Banjo Kazooie in the title, features the characters Banjo and Kazooie, was developed by the company that made the original Banjo Kazooie games, and published by the company that owns the Banjo Kazooie IP. Of course it’s a Banjo Kazooie game.

That criticism amounts to: “The game isn’t something that it isn’t, and I wanted it to be something else entirely.” It’d be like you making a video review of Fire Emblem Warriors and me responding, “That game sucks because it’s not a SRPG.” Uh...OK...People can have opinions, but despite the saying, they’re not actually entitled to them, especially when their opinions display such an extreme level of childish entitlement. :lol:
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Yea I've seen that criticism applied to Breath of the Wild as well. I do have some criticisms for it like the bad dungeon design, some shrines being repetitive, and the Korok seeds quest being ridiculous, but I've seen people say "it's not a Zelda game". It's funny because it takes lots of elements from the series. Similar gameplay to Skyward Sword, still based on dungeons, starting with Link sleeping, the open world feeling that the first one had, and at least partially having two worlds.

I've completed 8 Zelda games so far for my long-term ranking project, and seeing stuff like that is what worries me. There's another Zelda ranked video that honestly sucks, but the comments for it are just abysmal.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:My taste in games actually aligns really well with pook99’s. (I like Metroid Other M too, and I’m looking forward to RE6!) If he recommends something, I’m likely to try it out.

Lol, I also gotta admit that I enjoyed RE6, even though it's a big departure and more of an action game than survival horror. My girlfriend and I played through most of the game in co-op mode. We had one campaign left to complete (Ada's), and were in the middle of it before everything was shut down. Hopefully we can finish it later in the year.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
PretentiousHipster wrote:Yea it was one of the first video reviews I wrote. Critics loved it, especially my favourite one Brad Shoemaker, but wow do the Banjo fans HATE it. I believe it's solely because it's so different from the N64 entries, and they were looking at it through a nostalgic lens. I talked to one person about it, and she said it sucks because "it's not a Banjo Kazooie game". Such a shame because if they went past that I'm sure they would realize how awesome it actually is.

What a ridiculous criticism. It has Banjo Kazooie in the title, features the characters Banjo and Kazooie, was developed by the company that made the original Banjo Kazooie games, and published by the company that owns the Banjo Kazooie IP. Of course it’s a Banjo Kazooie game.

That criticism amounts to: “The game isn’t something that it isn’t, and I wanted it to be something else entirely.” It’d be like you making a video review of Fire Emblem Warriors and me responding, “That game sucks because it’s not a SRPG.” Uh...OK...People can have opinions, but despite the saying, they’re not actually entitled to them, especially when their opinions display such an extreme level of childish entitlement. :lol:

It's not a totally invalid criticism though or at least it didn't seem it at the time. Nuts and Bolts deviates a lot from the previous two and while some found it good (I thought it was okay) it disappointed fans. Unlike Fire Emblem, B&K was a franchise that didn't have endless sequels, spin offs and guest appearances. It had been 8 years and a whole console generation between Tooie and Nuts&Bolts. So for a lot of people it really wasn't a Banjo Kazooie game in the same sense that new Contra game isn't seen as "proper" or how Yooka-Laylee was seen as more of a real sequel.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

PresidentLeever wrote:Is Nuts & Bolts as much of a metroidvania-style game as Tooie is?

In nuts and bolts you build and ride vehicles.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

I want to give up on the Uncharted 1 remake on PS4. My first exposure to Uncharted was trying out the vita game when it was free on PS Plus. I deleted that crap in fifteen minutes. Fast forward some time later and I get a PS4 to play The Last Guardian. Uncharted 4 was bundled with my system. I was skeptical but after beating TLG I didn't have anything else to play so I gave Uncharted 4 a go. Holy crap was it a great game!
A couple of weeks ago Sony gave away Journey and the Uncharted Collection as free downloads. I was excited to try out the games I had missed. Uncharted 1 is kind of boring. You move twelve feet, shoot the same 5 to 10 goons (who take way too many bullets to die), climb a wall, repeat. Maybe the games get better as the series goes along? I loved Uncharted 4: you could usually approach the enemies in head-on fights or do sneak attacks and play it more of an Assassin's Creed type game.
I do want to see what happens in the story but I may just leave this one alone for now and play a game that's... fun.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

Developers are always in a catch -22 situation with established IP's. Do you just make the same game over and over to please the fans? When do you try something new? When does the old formula get stale?

Resident Evil 4 is a good example of a series being updated under perfect conditions, RE 1-3 were all good games but they were getting stale so capcom tried something new and it worked, extremely well, blowing up the franchise and making RE4 one of the best and most renowned games of all time.

I think developers have to do this which is why I reject people who say x game is not part of the series because it plays different than its predecessors. Can you imagine a world where super mario 64 was a 2d platformer? Ocarina of time was an overhead adventure game? Metroid Prime is a sidescroller game like super metroid? All of those series had to overhaul in a big way and that is why all of them are relevant today. Eventually a game has to change or fans will inevitably lose interest. The workaorund is to take a huge hiatus and make a game 10 years later (ie: Mega Man 9-11)

That is why I tend to like the oddball games, Prfsnl_gamer brought up other M as an example of a game we both enjoyed. That game got wayyyy too much undeserved flack, the fact is Other M was a game that merged the old style of metroid with some very excting new conventions and introduced a real story for the first time in the series. IMO, a game like that is far more interesting than if Nintendo just made a Metroid Prime 4. Sure we are all excited about it now(see above hiatus rule) but if it came out when Other M did I'm sure it would have received critcism for just being more of the same.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

opa wrote:I want to give up on the Uncharted 1 remake on PS4. My first exposure to Uncharted was trying out the vita game when it was free on PS Plus. I deleted that crap in fifteen minutes. Fast forward some time later and I get a PS4 to play The Last Guardian. Uncharted 4 was bundled with my system. I was skeptical but after beating TLG I didn't have anything else to play so I gave Uncharted 4 a go. Holy crap was it a great game!
A couple of weeks ago Sony gave away Journey and the Uncharted Collection as free downloads. I was excited to try out the games I had missed. Uncharted 1 is kind of boring. You move twelve feet, shoot the same 5 to 10 goons (who take way too many bullets to die), climb a wall, repeat. Maybe the games get better as the series goes along? I loved Uncharted 4: you could usually approach the enemies in head-on fights or do sneak attacks and play it more of an Assassin's Creed type game.
I do want to see what happens in the story but I may just leave this one alone for now and play a game that's... fun.

They do get better as they go along. I played the first three on the PS3 and the combat definitely does improve but for me it goes from godawful to competent to pretty good. At no point though did I find those games, and the Last of Us, to actually have mechanically engaging combat. It's more about the spectacle. But if you enjoyed Uncharted 4 then I would give the others a go.