Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: Games Beaten 2020

by Ack Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:23 pm

Oh man, Ninja School was totally rad, dude!
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:38 am

Yikes, been two months since I updated this...

I've fallen into a very old habit of playing things for short bursts and moving on, so beating games has fallen off this year. I think I have this all updated, though...

Games Beaten 2020
Mortal Kombat 11 - PS4
The Force Unleashed II - 360
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom - Wii
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light - 360
Super Fantasy Zone - Genesis
Fable Heroes - 360
Castlevania Bloodlines - Genesis
My Friend Pedro - X1
Darius - Genesis
Ape Out - PC
Doom Eternal - PS4
Dead or Alive 6 - PS4
Plague, Inc. - PC
Space Harrier II - Genesis
Space Harrier - Arcade
G.I. Joe - Arcade
Chaos Control - - PC
Super Off Road - SNES
Pyscho Dream - SFC
Psychosis - Turbo Grafx-16
Splatterhouse - Turbo Grafx-16 *new*
Minecraft Dungeons - X1 *new*
Astro Bot Rescue Mission - PSVR *new*
Samurai Shodown (2019) - PS4 *new*
Tank Force - Switch (Arcade) *new*
Call of Duty: WWII - PS4 *new*

Total: 26

Previously:
2019 2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010
Last edited by dsheinem on Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:01 am

Partridge Senpai's 2020 Beaten Games:
Previously: 2016 2017 2018 2019
* indicates a repeat

1. Invisigun Reloaded (Switch)
2. Human: Fall Flat (Switch)
3. Shantae: The Pirate's Curse (3DS)
4. Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (PC)
5. Splatterhouse (PS3) *
6. 3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3)
7. Tokyo Jungle (PS3)
8. Pictobits (DSiWare)
9. Puzzle Quest: The Legend Reborn (Switch)
10. WarioWare Gold (3DS)
11. Disaster: Day of Crisis (Wii)
12. Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition (Xbone)
13. Sleeping Dogs: Nightmare in North Point (Xbone)
14. Sleeping Dogs: Year of the Snake (Xbone)
15. Dynamite Headdy (Genesis) *
16. Shovel Knight: King of Cards (3DS)
17. Shovel Knight: Shovel of Hope (3DS) *
18. Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows (Switch) *
19. Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment (Switch) *
20. Shovel Knight: Showdown (Switch)
21. Dragon Quest Builders 2 (PS4)
22. ActRaiser (SNES)
23. Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth (WiiWare)
24. Mega Man X (SNES)
25. Breath of Fire II (SNES)
26. Ape Escape 2 (PS2) *
27. Doubutsu No Mori+ (GC)
28. Ape Escape (PS1)
29. Ape Escape 3 (PS2) *
30. Maken X (DC)
31. Cubivore (GC)
32. Wario World (GC) *
33. Hatoful Boyfriend (PC)
34. Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem (SFC)
35. Baku Bomberman 2 (N64)
36. Chameleon Twist (N64)
37. Gato Roboto (PC)
38. The Messenger (PC)
39. The Messenger: Picnic Panic (PC)
40. Baku Bomberman (N64)
41. Bomberman Hero (N64)
42. Blazing Lasers (TG16)
43. Neutopia (TG16)
44. Neutopia II (TG16)
45. Bomberman '94 (PCE)
46. Super Mario Sunshine (GC) *
47. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (GC) *
48. Shenmue 3 (PS4)
49. Wandersong (Switch)

50. Ratchet & Clank (PS2)

This is a series I've neglected for a long long time, and I saw the original PS2 games for 300 yen a piece a month or so ago and thought it was a fine time to finally pick 'em up. I've still got the itch for 3D platformers in me after finishing Mario Sunshine and such, so this seemed like a perfect time to give Insomniac's PS2 hit a try. It took me around 11 hours to finish the Japanese version of the game, and I did not go and hunt for more collectibles.

Ratchet & Clank is the story of Ratchet, a wannabe hero who teams up with Clank, a robot on a mission to stop the evil Chairman Drek. Drek is a Blarg, and the Blarg's homeworld was overpolluted and overpopulated, so they need a new homeworld. Drek is harvesting chunks of other planets, destroying them in the process, and using the pieces to make a new homeworld for the Blarg. Clank and Ratchet set out to stop Drek's evil scheme, one step at a time, by collecting infobots slowly revealing where the evil chairman himself is hiding. It's a lighthearted and fairly simple story, but it's packed with lively characters and pretty locations.

It's a bit odd hearing the quite iconic voice cast (which I was familiar with despite not having played the games much at all before) in Japanese rather than English (especially Captain Qwark), but it really grew on me after a while, and the dub is well done, as is the localization. Lots of important signs re textured to be in Japanese rather than English, good voice talent, good lip syncing. I admit I didn't get a lot of the story, both because I was often talking with friends onilne while I was playing, and also because the game has pretty crappy subtitles (granted the subs are only in Japanese, of course). For the first part, it hides the option for them fairly well, by not having them in the main menu's option menu, but only accessible from the in-game option menu (for whatever reason), and even then, that's only subtitles for in-game dialogue. Pre-rendered cutscenes never have any subtitles, and that really sucks as far as accessibility options go.

The gameplay is a more linear action platformer, but with some adventure game elements. You travel to over a dozen worlds, each having several paths through them that lead to either optional or required items you'll need to progress. All the while you'll be collecting bolts (money) that you'll use to both buy more guns and ammo at the various store around the game, but you'll also need them to buy those required items at the ends of each of those paths (this IS from the Spyro the Dragon devs, after all XD). The levels are mechanically largely the same, but there's usually at least one gimmick in each to make it feel different than the last (including some levels where you play as either just Ratchet or just Clank).

The game's combat uses Ratchet's wrench as your default melee attack, but before long you'll get scads of guns to use to blow opponents away. There are some 18 guns in the game (with some quite well hidden super versions of some), and those that use ammo each have their own ammo requirement. You have everything from a flamethrower to a camera-guided missile launcher to a laser that turns your opponents into chickens, and it's good fun smashing stuff and blasting things away. The game can get quite mean with withholding ammo from you, particularly if you die, as enemies rarely (if ever?) drop ammo and ammo crates don't respawn between deaths.

This was quite a surprisingly challenging game. You can eventually upgrade your life meter about 2/3rds of the way in through the game, but you spend most of the game with only 4 hits between you and death, and the game is pretty stingy with handing out more health. it's also pretty darn mean with checkpoints and bottomless pits (especially on the magnet boot sections). Tie that all in with how this is a 3rd person shooting game with no strafing mechanic and the fact that Ratchet is pretty slow and has a big turning circle, and you're probably gonna die quite a bit. The game is pretty merciful in that there's no extra life mechanic, but the game has a lot of sections that didn't feel totally fair, and that I had to try over and over to see the best way of not getting overwhelmed by the hordes of enemies.

Those enemy horde rooms are just one of the frequent "ugh" aspects this game has to it. A lot of later game enemies both fly, shoot guns, and take several melee hits. Ratchet also has only a couple guns that have any meaningful range to them. I spent most of the game using only a small handful of weapons since your hotbar only holds 8 tools + weapons (and you have 6 tools + those 18 weapons), and only a few weapons seemed all that meaningfully effective. Running out of ammo in the later game is a real death sentence, and it made the action get more often frustrating than tense. Then there's the aforementioned tightrope wakling magnet boot sections, the awful hoverboard races, the turret and ship-flying sections. The game has a lot of rough aspects to its design that make for a game that is just as often fun as it is annoying.

For presentation, the game is fairly pretty graphically for a 2002 PS2 game. It's hardly the prettiest thing in the world, but the world has a colorful, fun style to it, and it really helps bring the zany, loud characters to life with how cartoony their designs are. The music is pretty darn forgettable though, and is very much "atmospheric" more than anything else.

Verdict: Hesitantly Recommended. This is on the higher end of my hesitantly recommended list, but I really didn't feel comfortable giving this a recommended. It's not often I'm just "done" enough with a game to not even try to get the collectibles in it, but that was very much the case with this game. I'd say it's worth a shot if you can find it for cheap, but the overall product is such an "early 2000's platformer" for better and for worse that it very well might be more frustration than it's worth for a lot of people.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Note
32-bit

by Note Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:15 am

1. Streets of Rage 2 (GEN)
2. The Ninja Warriors (SNES) [3x]
3. TMNT IV: Turtles in Time (SNES)
4. Golden Axe (GEN) [3x]
5. Beyond Oasis (GEN)
6. Super Double Dragon (SNES)
7. Shenmue II (DC)
8. Shining Force 2 (GEN)
9. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (SNES)
10. ActRaiser (SNES)
11. OutRun (GEN)
12. X-Men 2: Clone Wars (GEN)
13. Captain Commando (SNES)
14. The Pirates of Dark Water (SNES)
15. Final Fight (SNES)
16. Gradius III (SNES)
17. Super R-Type (SNES)
18. U.N. Squadron (SNES)
19. Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
20. Arrow Flash (GEN)
21. Forgotten Worlds (GEN)
22. Contra III: The Alien Wars (SNES)
23. Wonder Boy in Monster World (GEN)
24. Resident Evil 6 (360)
25. Skies of Arcadia (DC)

26. Streets of Rage 4 (Switch)

I was nervous when I first heard there would be another title in the Streets of Rage series, as I was hoping the installment wouldn't be a disappointment. But once I saw the gameplay videos released, I thought it looked promising, and had been anticipating the game's release since. I introduced my girlfriend to Streets of Rage 2 a few years ago, and she became a fan of the series, so when the game was announced, she pre-ordered a copy on the Switch through Limited Run right away. She received the game a few weeks ago, but due to the pandemic, we haven't been seeing each other as much, so this weekend we finally hung out and put some time into the co-op mode. I played through the game as Axel and she played as Blaze the first time around. The second time, I tried playing as Cherry and she chose Adam.

In regards to the graphics, I think the creators of the game did a really nice job with the art style. The backgrounds are really detailed and definitely fit in with the rest of the games in the series in terms of keeping it to a dark city environment. I especially like the look of the train level. The character designs look great and the animations are really smooth. It's cool to see the original characters appear here as well as some bosses from the original games. The soundtrack is going to be heavily critiqued due to the greatness of the soundtrack from the first two games (I personally wasn't a fan of the experimental sounds from SOR 3). I found the soundtrack to be pretty impressive for the most part. There's a few songs that I don't care for, but overall I think it's pretty good, and we found ourselves turning up the volume in some instances. We didn't try playing with the retro music, but will give that a shot next time.

I didn't notice any issues with the controls, and it was pretty easy to get a hang of, as the move inputs follow the previous titles. The additional special move inputs also fit in well with the control scheme. The one main difference that took me a little time to get used to was pressing a different button to pick up an item, but it's a nice touch, as it's a lot easier to avoid picking up a weapon or health accidentally while in the middle of combat. Also, it's nice that friendly hits can be turned off, so you don't accidentally beat up your partner. Some other cool features are the ability to save your progress in the middle of a play through, the customization of the health items, being able to switch between soundtrack styles, online play, the option to unlock a lot of characters, and the warps to secret sections of certain levels. We found the difficulty of the game to be fairly challenging but were still having a blast, and I'm sure we'll get a bit better over time, as we get more familiar with the game.

Overall, this game is a really fun beat 'em up, and one of the best co-op experiences from a new game I've had in a long time. We really enjoyed this title, it lived up to our expectations, and is a worthy entry in the Streets of Rage series IMO. The remaining unlockables also give us a good incentive to go back and continue playing, and I'm looking forward to spending more time with this game and trying out the different characters, especially the new characters. I highly recommend it!
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:08 am

Partridge Senpai's 2020 Beaten Games:
Previously: 2016 2017 2018 2019
* indicates a repeat

1-50
1. Invisigun Reloaded (Switch)
2. Human: Fall Flat (Switch)
3. Shantae: The Pirate's Curse (3DS)
4. Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (PC)
5. Splatterhouse (PS3) *
6. 3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3)
7. Tokyo Jungle (PS3)
8. Pictobits (DSiWare)
9. Puzzle Quest: The Legend Reborn (Switch)
10. WarioWare Gold (3DS)
11. Disaster: Day of Crisis (Wii)
12. Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition (Xbone)
13. Sleeping Dogs: Nightmare in North Point (Xbone)
14. Sleeping Dogs: Year of the Snake (Xbone)
15. Dynamite Headdy (Genesis) *
16. Shovel Knight: King of Cards (3DS)
17. Shovel Knight: Shovel of Hope (3DS) *
18. Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows (Switch) *
19. Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment (Switch) *
20. Shovel Knight: Showdown (Switch)
21. Dragon Quest Builders 2 (PS4)
22. ActRaiser (SNES)
23. Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth (WiiWare)
24. Mega Man X (SNES)
25. Breath of Fire II (SNES)
26. Ape Escape 2 (PS2) *
27. Doubutsu No Mori+ (GC)
28. Ape Escape (PS1)
29. Ape Escape 3 (PS2) *
30. Maken X (DC)
31. Cubivore (GC)
32. Wario World (GC) *
33. Hatoful Boyfriend (PC)
34. Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem (SFC)
35. Baku Bomberman 2 (N64)
36. Chameleon Twist (N64)
37. Gato Roboto (PC)
38. The Messenger (PC)
39. The Messenger: Picnic Panic (PC)
40. Baku Bomberman (N64)
41. Bomberman Hero (N64)
42. Blazing Lasers (TG16)
43. Neutopia (TG16)
44. Neutopia II (TG16)
45. Bomberman '94 (PCE)
46. Super Mario Sunshine (GC) *
47. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (GC) *
48. Shenmue 3 (PS4)
49. Wandersong (Switch)
50. Ratchet & Clank (PS2)

51. Ratchet & Clank 2: Going Commando (PS2)

The R&C train continues as I move right onto the sequel. It's still a very recognizable game from the first, but this game has a TON of small but super significant improvements over the original, so I was pretty immediately drawn in. It took me around 12 hours to finish the Japanese version of the game while only getting a couple collectibles.

In this game, Ratchet & Clank find themselves where they ended the first game: watching TV at home. When suddenly, an eccentric inventor from another galaxy transports them to his location and tells them he needs their help to recover his stolen Protopet! After 2 weeks of commando training (off screen), Ratchet and Clank set off to save this missing Protopet and figure out just who the real bad guys may be. The story is certainly better and more involved than the first, but its overall presentation is still pretty similar. Most characters just amount to being little more than quirky item vendors you meet only one time, but it's still entertaining, and the overall resolution to the story is fun. Ratchet & Clank's banter is still fun as ever and it's a pleasing overlay to the platforming action of the main gameplay.

The main gameplay is very similar to the first game, but with many improvements. It's still a series of planets with a few branching paths in each. You kill enemies to get money to buy weapons to keep going through those planets to find more tools and guns and navigation data to new levels. Just how much better this game plays than the first game cannot be overstated, though. You can FINALLY strafe! In a third-person shooting game, this helps the combat out MASSIVELY, as you can probably easily imagine. On top of that, Ratchet also moves way less clumsily than he does in the first game, and his jumping and walking are tighter overall. Checkpoints are more frequent as well as actually being told to you when they happen, there are far less annoying and awful minigames (although there are still a couple), and ammo boxes actually respawn now between deaths so ammo is far less of a worry.

The guns are also better across the board, with nearly all of them being far more generally useful rather than the more circumstantial-to-useless feeling so many guns in the first game had. They also level up as you use them, going from normal to upgraded, and helping your favorite guns stay more relevant through more of the game. Ratchet himself also has an XP bar of sorts now, as killing more enemies will eventually trigger you to gain a new quarter of a life container (they're basically like hearts in Zelda), so you end up dying a LOT less even though the game's enemies do hit harder as you progress through the story. This game, like the first, still has an issue with some super weapons and armor (which reduces the amount of damage you take across the board by a percentage) being HORRIFICALLY expensive and requiring hours and hours of grinding for cash to acquire. A lot of the normal guns and armor are also quite prohibitively expensive, but the game really doesn't expect you to collect them all on your first playthrough (given that the game has a new game+ mode of sorts).

Verdict: Highly Recommended. This is a radical improvement from the first game in just about every way. It plays so much better I was actually happy to chase some of the more silly in-game side quests, like collecting every crystal and moon stone, simply because I was having so much fun with the combat. It's not quite perfect, but it's held up damn well and is still very worth playing so many years after its release.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
marurun

by marurun Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:41 pm

1. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (Switch)
  2. Joe and Mac 2 (SNES via Switch Online)
  3. Stardew Valley (Switch) - New
  4. Cosmic Star Heroine (Switch) - New
  5. Grandia HD (Switch)
  6. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (Switch)
  7. Kotodama (Switch)

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon - Switch

I actually beat this game right before starting Grandia, but kind of forgot about it, because I was really just resuming playing from about a year or so before. My feelings on this game are complicated. On the one hand, the graphics, animation, and audio experience are great, and it's clear that Inti Creates took great care to craft this game in loving homage to games of old but without feeling completely tethered, just as with Blaster Master Returns. And just like Blaster Master Returns, I find it frustrating in places due to an insistence upon making the game feel NES-hard in many places. Basically, this is an 8-bit-inspired game that mimics many elements of Castlevania III, including rescuing characters who join your party to whom you can switch mid-play. Each character has different movement and jump characteristics, a different attack, and different sub-weapon attacks. You can use this team to advance through the game. Unlike CV3, you can have all your partners with you and not just 1. You don't lose a "life" until all your characters are dispatched. There is an "easy" mode which reduces knockback and allows infinite continues. But everything else is still really hard.

Many have hailed this game as a successor to Castlevania III, and while it's clearly inspired, I'm not feeling it. In discussion with MrPopo on the Racketboy Slack channel he noted that his experience with Castlevania III is through speedrunners and playing in a manner similar to how speedrunners play. Whereas my approach to the game is much slower and more thorough. I think that's where the disconnect is. Perhaps if you play both games with a mind for speed they do start to feel very similar, but for someone who plays the games the way I do, they feel quite disparate, despite obvious similarities. As a cautious player, I felt like Curse of the Moon was looking to punish me for playing the way I wanted to, whereas I didn't get that feeling from Castlevania III.

I really wanted to like this game, and from what I've read I didn't unlock the "true" ending or anything, which is fine. I'm not going back to try again. It is a well-crafted game that many do love, but for me, I just am not down with the challenge level. If you have more tolerance for frustration and NES-hard you'll likely have a great time.

Kotodama: The 7 Mysteries of Fujisawa - Switch

This is a VN and puzzle game that was on big sale not a long time back. I picked it up because Bone speaks so highly of the Visual Novel experience (generally, not Kotodama specifically) and I wanted to know what's up with that. Well, I'm both impressed and depressed by Kotodama. Production values are strong, with more voice acting than expected, good art, and an excellent localization. This is also one of those VNs you have to replay for multiple endings, which is to say it is like most VNs out these days. For those who haven't played a VN, it's basically a bunch of still backdrops and character portraits with some minimal animation that play out like a Choose Your Own Adventure story, but with far fewer branches. You often have the choice of which order to visit certain places and on rare occasions that will affect the outcome of the story. Unlike CYOA stories (and point and click adventure titles) there aren't a billion different ways to die or prematurely end the story. So basically you read (and listen, thanks to lots of voice work) the story while looking at characters and backdrops. So maybe an illustrated light novel (to use a Japanese genre term) with lots of choice points, of which only a few are critical, is a better descriptor. Kotodama has reviewed moderately well in most outlets, getting a 62 score on Metacritic, but there are a couple truly scathing reviews, including from NintendoLife. I will address the reason for those scathing reviews below, because I don't disagree with their rationale at all.

What makes Kotodama different from many other VNs is the inclusion of puzzle elements. Your main character is a transfer student to a new high school, and he just happens to have a pact with a little cat-demon. That pact allows him to use a special power to reach into people's minds and compel them to, if briefly, tell the truth. You do this through a match-3 type game where, instead of swapping pairs of tiles, you select (or tap: this game can be played completely with the touch screen, which is kind of cool) a tile and it jumps up to the top row, allowing all the tiles above it's old spot to fall into place, triggering matches and cascades. You get special tiles for doing long cascades. As you advance through the puzzle match, you slowly strip the defenses away from the character's mind by hitting specific spots on a match meter, stripping off their clothes until they are left in their undies (there is no actual nudity, thankfully) and you win. You have a set number of moves, which increase every time you strip off part of their outfit, and which can also be increased by using special "tease" items like a feather, ice, etc..., uses of which you also get via matches. Different "tease" items have a different risk/reward balance, e.g. the feather gives you 2 moves if successful, and has a 60% chance of success. When it doesn't succeed, the result can either be neutral (waste of a tease action) or negative. Each character has a different negative response, from locking tiles to shuffling the board. As you go through the game you investigate several mysteries at the school, talk to teachers and classmates, both named and generic, visit different locales within the school, and attempt to unlock the truths the characters wish to hide.

Where Kotodama excels is production quality. The voice work is great. The art is great. And the localization actually flows really smoothly and doesn't feel awkward at all. There are only a couple minor editing errors that were clearly typos. And the story has some really interesting twists which you may not expect. While the characters are in some ways kind of generic manga/anime tropes, they do have enough detail and interactions that they start to stand out a bit from their tropes. Some of that standout personality, however, comes from unlocking their secrets and revealing the person under the facade, which is a neat narrative device. The game also has lots of quality of life features, like quick save and quick load, and to facilitate multiple playthroughs, it remembers which choices you've made and will remind you at key points which choices were ones which advanced the story or ran it aground. It also has an auto-text-advance option, which you can set to only advance text you've read before, so when you go through again you can have it fast-forward through the sections you've already been through and stop for input at either a decision point or where it hits dialogue that's new or changed.

Kotodama falls down in a couple areas, though. One is repetition. If you fail a match game you go to the load screen, from which you can only load regular game saves, not quick saves (so you have to restore a regular save and then quick load back to your quick save). When you replay you do have to play all the match games again, and the match-3 gameplay just isn't strong enough to carry as many times as you have to play if you want to see all the game has to offer. So you need to develop strategies quickly to make sure you can get through those match games with minimal fuss. So yeah, a strong variety element in the early game that becomes annoying in the late-game. The other area this game falls down is also in the match games: the stripping of the characters. Yes, it's a very nice metaphor - their clothes are their defenses, and you must bare the truth. But here's the thing... As you make matches and strip their clothes they make moans and squeals and flinch in pleasure and pain. These high school students who are, for legal purposes, all 18. And even though this only takes place in a magical shared mind-space, it is kind of creepy and out of place, because the VN sections of the game don't sexualize the characters at all. So you have these platonic story interactions with characters and suddenly, "STRIP GAME!" And as the NintendoLife reviewer pointed out and was so offended by, this is also rather non-consentual. You basically violate their emotional privacy in a way that is highly sexualized, in a game that is otherwise not at all sexualizing. While almost all the characters are female, there is one male character you also have to find out the truth from. That token inclusion doesn't blunt the real problems with this.

Now, that didn't ruin the game for me as it might for some. I find it cringe-worthy, but also not inconsistent with other Japanese games of this type. This is just how Japan often makes these kinds of games, for good or for ill. By talking about it I hope to make people aware, and maybe over time more Japanese developers will get away from including pointless sexualization in games which otherwise don't have any sexual elements (and avoid non-consentual scenarios altogether). On the whole, I enjoyed Kotodama and would encourage people to give it a try as long as they can cope with the inappropriate, non-consentual sexualization of the characters (if you are downright OK with it, that's another conversation altogether, one I don't want to have). The actual game story and characters are pretty compelling. So play it for the great story, enjoy a few brief puzzle breaks, and try to not get grossed out by the out-of-place non-consentual sexualization.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:21 pm

Yeah the sexual content in visual novels is a big issue. I've never played a game that's enhanced by such content. It's always detrimental to the overall plot and flow.

It feels jarring too. Perhaps because there's nothing comparable in Western media, where "normal" media and pornographic media are segregated. There are visual novels with like 20 hours of epic combat, romance, comedy, etc. and then BAM -- a random boning scene. It's always cringey and I actually prefer the censored Steam versions of a great many of these games (like Muv-Luv Alternative).

Anyway, play Steins;Gate.
marurun

by marurun Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:34 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Yeah the sexual content in visual novels is a big issue. I've never played a game that's enhanced by such content. It's always detrimental to the overall plot and flow.

It feels jarring too. Perhaps because there's nothing comparable in Western media, where "normal" media and pornographic media are segregated. There are visual novels with like 20 hours of epic combat, romance, comedy, etc. and then BAM -- a random boning scene. It's always cringey and I actually prefer the censored Steam versions of a great many of these games (like Muv-Luv Alternative).

Anyway, play Steins;Gate.

It definitely feels shoe-horned into Kotodama. I mean, there's no sex and they aren't naked, but even just presenting them pin-up style combined with the sound effects... It's just weird. If it had been any skeevier it would have been a show-stopper for me. As it is, it's just a big black mark on an otherwise interesting story.

I will probably play something short and action oriented before Steins;Gate, but I will get there. I deliberately bought it to play it. This wasn't just a "Hey, it's cheap! I should throw some pennies at it!" acquisition.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:47 pm

@marurun: interesting thoughts on curse of the moon, as someone who grew up with castlevania 1 and 3 I felt the game was too easy, but I play loads of castlevanias including difficult the romhacks of the original so I am coming into it with a different perspective. I am definitely not a speed runner and like to just go slow and take my time but I think I am just very used to the jumping mechanics and avoiding flying stuff.

Having said that, if you feel the first was annoyingly hard definitely do not play cotm 2, I think it is a great game, but it is much harder, frustratingly hard IMO, so definitely not for everyone.

124. Captain America (xbox 360)
125. Mega Man (nes)

Captain America for the xbox 360 is a decent game that does not do anything special but sticks nicely to its source material and is a somewhat enjoyable romp.

I'm not exactly sure when this game takes place, it is taking place during world war 2, but does not reflect the events of the film, I am guessing this is framed as an untold war story somewhere between when steve was given the super soldier serum and when he takes down red skull and gets frozen. The cast of the movie is all here and voiced by their hollywood actors, making the game feel like a nice spin off story.

Gameplay is nothing revolutionary but it is competant. You run around environments, use caps acrobatic skills to engage in some qte platforming, collect stuff for upgrades, and fight loads of enemies in a combat system inspired by the arkham series but not as polished. Mobs of enemies attack, you ryhtmically tap the attack button, when an enemy glows you can block, dodge, or counter with different button presses, there are a few special moves, and you can throw caps shield around and laugh as it richochets through groups of enemies.

Total gameplay is about 4.5 hours, if I bought this game for $60 when it was new I probably would have been disappointed, but buying it 10 years later for 5 bucks or so was definitely worth it. It is not too deep but I am a big captain America fan, and although the gameplay is pretty simplistic, it is fun and the story is good enough to keep fans engaged.
Flake

by Flake Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:21 am

January through June:
January
Shovel Knight: King of Cards (Switch)
Diablo III: Reaper of Souls (Switch)
Super Metroid (Switch)

February
Megaman X (Switch)
Nekketsu Highschool Dodgeball Club (Switch)
Super Dodgeball (Switch)

March

Garou: Mark of the Wolves (SNK Pro Stick)
Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch)

April

Batman The Telltale Series (Switch)
Street Fighter Alpha 2 (Switch)
SNK Gals' Fighter (Switch)

May

King of Fighters 97: Global Match (PS4)
Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch)

June
Megaman X3 (Switch)
Megaman X4 (Switch)
King of Fighters 98: Ultimate Match (PS4)
King of Fighters 99 (Switch)
Injustice 2 (PS4)

July

Donkey Kong Country (WiiU)
Cadence of Hyrule (Switch)
Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (Switch)

August

Shovel Knight Showdown (Switch)
Street Fighter Alpha 3 (PS4)

Just a quick catch-up post before I forget what games I've beaten recently. Not a lot of thoughts to share except:

- Cadence of Hyrule is still a really fun time and one of the best Zelda games in recent memory
- Bloodstained Curse of the Moon is Castlevania 3 with better game design but worse music
- Shovel Knight: Showdown REALLY needs online matchmaking
- The original arcade version of Street Fighter Alpha 3 is underwhelming when you are used to the MAX and Upper releases.
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
Return to General Gaming