Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: Games Beaten 2020

by Ack Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:57 pm

One of the greatest Atari 2600 games. Man, I love Haunted House.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
MrPopo

by MrPopo Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:57 pm

1. Elite Dangerous - PC
2. Soldier of Fortune - PC
3. Star Wars: TIE Fighter: Defender of the Empire - PC
4. Star Wars: TIE Fighter: Enemies of the Empire - PC
5. Star Wars: X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter: Balance of Power - PC
6. Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance - PC
7. Phoenix Point - PC
8. Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter - PC
9. Descent II - PC
10. Inbento - Switch
11. Ori and the Will of the Wisps - XB1
12. Doom Eternal - PC
13. Serious Sam 2 - PC
14. Black Mesa - PC
15. Descent 3 - PC
16. Darksiders II - PC
17. Resident Evil 3 (2020) - PC
18. Overload - PC
19. Final Fantasy VII Remake - PS4
20. Trials of Mana (2020) - Switch
21. Persona 5 Royal - PS4
22. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered - PC
23. Sublevel Zero Redux - PC
24. Final Fantasy XII: Zodiac Age - PS4
25. Maneater - PC
26. XCOM: Chimera Squad - PC
27. Sakura Wars - PS4
28. Stela - Switch
29. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 - DC
30. Darksiders III - PC
31. Shadow Warrior (2013) - PC
32. Robotrek - SNES
33. Shadow Warrior 2 - PC
34. EVO: The Search for Eden - SNES
35. Blast Corps - N64
36. Command & Conquer: The Covert Operations - PC
37. Command & Conquer Red Alert: Counterstrike - PC
38. The Last of Us Part 2 - PS4
39. Exodemon - PC
40. Halo: Reach - PC
41. Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary - PC
42. Halo 2: Anniversary - PC
43. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel - PS3
44. Halo 3 - PC[

Halo 3 hit the PC Master Chief Collection yesterday so I figured I'd use it as a palette cleanser between Cold Steel games. I was not expecting it to be quite so short, though. I went and looked through my campaign stats and Reach was 5 hours, 1 & 2 were 6 hours, and 3 was only 4 hours. So noticeably shorter. It ends up making the story be a real whirlwind as it wraps up the threads from the first two games but it also means that the game doesn't overstay its welcome.

See, I've been musing on when they screw up the gunplay as seen in Reach. Turns out it was in 3. The weapons are a bit anemic feeling, and every weapon (that wasn't a dedicated sniper or rocket launcher) has been nerfed so nothing can take out enemies super quickly like you'd like. Fortunately, the game still operates on a system where pushing forward to the next checkpoint and leaving enemies behind is perfectly viable. This game has a lot more NPC support, so this tactic actually is preferable most of the time. Only near the end of the game do you need to get back to clearing areas so the game can checkpoint; they won't checkpoint if there are too many enemies near the trigger, which is likely a safety feature.

Weirdly, the game does not start immediately where Halo 2 leaves off. I guess they felt that wasn't conducive to having the short tutorial and action ramp up that each game starts with, so apparently in a four issue comic series they have Master Chief get kicked off the ship and fall to Earth, where Halo 3 picks up. You take the portal on Earth to the Ark which built the Halos, kill the final Covenant leader, and destroy the partially rebuilt Halo from the first game, wiping out the Flood that followed you. So fingers crossed their threat is eliminated (I'm positive it isn't). Also, nearly every major supporting character kicks it, one of them in a really stupid way. Maybe the voice contracts were ending?

It's a decent conclusion to the trilogy, and it's not a bad game by any means. But given what I already experienced in Reach this feels like the point when the series starts to go downhill. I still have ODST and 4 in the Master Chief Collection which are supposed to come out later this year. I'm not expecting ODST to rise above 3 and Reach, but we'll see what happens with 4. Also, I'd like to point out that Master Chief is a fucking robot. He NEVER emotes in any game, it's just much more apparent in this one when there are several moments when it would be appropriate. Hell, if he just didn't talk it would be better, but instead he talks in the same flat monotone no matter what.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:21 pm

@Bone: Nice review of Metal Slug 2, I don't know if I ever played it because so many of those games blend together, but I'm glad to know there is a playable italian character who is not Mario or in the Mafia. Also I havent thought of Haunted House in about 34 years, I haave vague memories of playing that and empire strikes back on new years eve with my parents friends kids, its no resident evil but it is a cool game.

@senpai: I agree with your assessment of the messenger, I absolutely loved the first half and while the second half was okay there was way too much long backtracking and it broke the awesome flow that the first half of the game had.

@alienjesus: I can't even imagine playing streets of rage on game gear, the original is so ingrained in my head I don't think I would like a scaled down version of it. Ninja Gaiden on GG is largely mediocre I agree, it probably wouldnt have been as disappointing if it was just called something else, pretty much every ninja gaiden game ever made is amazing and that one is just meh, I'll revisit it from time to time but it definitely lacks that special something that makes Ninja Gaiden, Ninja Gaiden

@prfnsnl_gamer: Grizzland is on my steam wishlist and I will now remove it from my wishlist, I was on the fence but your review pretty much solidifies that I would hate the game

99. TMNT 2: Arcade game (nes)
100. TMNT 3: Manhattan project (nes)
101. TMNT 4: turtles in time
102. Chicken Little: Ace in action (wii)
103. TMNT: fall of the foot clan (game boy)

Went through a little marathon of some old school TMNT games and will probably play hyperstone heist sometime soon as I really enjoy that game.

99. TMNT 2

This was a game I absolutely loved as a kid but has not aged well. As a kid it was the best possible home port of my favorite arcade game that 8 year old me could ever ask for. As an adult with 30 years of playing better beat em ups it falls short in a variety of ways.

First off, just about every enemy takes 2 hits to kill and they have fairly generous invincible frames, so if you use your regular attack you will hit an enemy once, back off for a second and hit them again for the kill, it is very tedious and completely inefficient. Each turtle also has a special attack (done by quickly sliding your finger from jump to attack) that kills enemies in one hit. So basically the entire game has you doing this special move over and over again, literally hundreds of times.

The boss fights arent much better, they all come down to either poke and run tactics or quick jump kicks and hope you dont get hit tactics. They are pretty dull and some are way too long, Krang for example takes 73 hits to take down, which makes for an incredibly long, thumb busting, and tedious boss fight.

Having said all that I still enjoy the game for what it is, nostalgia goggles are strong here, and despite the games shortcoming it is still fun for me, but probably not recommended for those without any nostalgia for it.

100. TMNT 3: Manhattan project

The tmnt game that got ovelooked by so many, released late in the nes lifespan, and I believe even after turtles in time this was a game that was easy for people to ignore, which is a shame because it is a decent game that fixes the problems of its predecessor for a much smoother play experience.

Enemies are no longer invincible for too long meaning your regular attack is not useless, you also have a one hit ko throw attack which is more powerful but gives less points (used for extra lives) so there is a trade off there. Lots of different kinds of foot soldiers with different attacks are here and the bosses are generally much better with more fair attack patterns and spots to safely wail away on them while they recover from attacks.

TMNT 3 is a fun game, it still pales in comparison to most modern day beat em ups but it is worth checking out for turtles fans and if you like tmnt 2 you will definitely enjoy this.

101. TMNT 4: turtles in time

Hailed by many to be one of, if not the, greatest beat em up of all time, while I personally would not go that far, it is an absolute masterpiece and one of the finest beat em ups to come out of the 16 bit era. Great graphics, tons of enemies on screen at once, fun levels, and every boss you would want to see in a tmnt game. This is definitely on the easier side of the spectrum but an absolute must play for fans of beat em ups.

103. TMNT: fall of the foot clan.

This was one of the first game boy games I played as a kid, it is as simple as you can get. Walk from left to right, smack enemies when they appear, jump over obstacles, repeat until you reach an easy boss, do that 5 times and your done. Despite its simplicity I do enjoy this game, probably more for nostalgia than anything else, but I don't think I would recommend it to anyone without a fondness for it.

102. Chicken Little: ace in action (wii)

This is one of those random wii games I found at a local store for 5 bucks or so and just picked it up for whatever reason and I'm glad I did as this was a really fun game.

I don't know anything about the source material, but the story here is chicken little and his friends are playing a wii game where he and his friends are represented in over the top action hero ways. So chicken little is a giant, buff chicken commando, his ugly duck female friend is a sexy cartoon duck and his fat pig friend is a jacked wart hog who drives a tank. The story is cute, well written, and will give you a few chuckles.

Graphics here are nice and look like they are taken right out of a pixar movie. There is a good deal of cutscenes and the quality of the voice acting here is superb.

Gameplay here is broken up into 3 sections, chicken little plays like a 3rd person run n gun platformer(think ratchet and clank), the pig has you in a tank blasting tons of enemies, and the duck has you playing in a spaceship flying around blasting other spaceships, giant space stations, and more. All 3 sections are loaded with action, tons of things to shoot, and control really well. There are no gimmicky motion controls here, rather it does what the wii does best which is aiming with the wiimote. I really wish I could use this control set up for modern games, the more I play with it, the more I prefer it to dual analog controls as aiming is just really easy and extremely accurate.

This is a relatively easy game, you have unlimited lives, pretty generous checkpoints, and fairly liberal amounts of health pick ups scattered about the levels. There are plenty of secrets to find which reward the player with money used to buy all sorts of upgrades such as a larger health bar, upgraded weapons, and new sub weapons. There are 4 worlds, with 6 levels each all that end in a boss fight. The variety of levels here definitely keeps things interesting, between the 3 different playstyles and new gimmicks and gadgets being introduced all the time, it maintains a nice level of freshness throughout the whole adventure.

This is definitely a hidden gem on the wii. I don't think I ever heard of it and if I didnt stumble on it for so cheap I would have never played it, but if you like mindlessly running around shooting cartoon robots and spaceships you really cant go wrong with this.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:38 pm

1. ACA NeoGeo: Cyber-Lip (Switch eShop)
2. Pengo (Atari 2600)
3. Kirby's Epic Yarn (Wii)
4. Knights of Xentar (PC)
5. Hoshi o Sagashite... (Mark III)
6. Dead Zone (Famicom Disk System)
7. Samurai Sword (Famicom Disk System)
8. High School! Kimengumi (Mark III)
9. Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom (NES)
10. Sindbad Mystery (SG-1000)
11. Steins;Gate (Vita)
12. Champion Boxing (SG-1000)
13. Squidlit (Switch eShop)
14. Skyblazer (SNES)
15. Tokyo Dark: Remembrance (Switch eShop)
16. Bubble Bobble (Famicom Disk System)
17. Steins;Gate Elite (Switch)
18. Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Joe and Mac Returns (Switch eShop)
19. Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Express Raider (Switch eShop)
20. Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle (Genesis)
21. Sword of Vermilion (Genesis)
22. Steins;Gate: My Darling's Embrace (Switch eShop)
23. Oink! (Atari 2600)
24. Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa (Famicom Disk System)
25. Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
26. Phantasy Star Online (Dreamcast)
27. Chaos;Child (Vita)
28. Scar of the Doll (Steam)
29. Kirby's Adventure (NES)
30. Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure (PlayStation)
31. Hangman (Atari 2600)
32. Metal Slug (Neo Geo MVS)
33. Metal Slug 2 (Neo Geo MVS)
34. Masters of the Universe: The Power of He-Man (Intellivision)
35. Shark! Shark! (Intellivision)
36. Videocart 1: Tic-Tac-Toe / Shooting Gallery / Doodle / Quadra-Doodle (Channel F)
37. Haunted House (Atari 2600)

38. The Earth Dies Screaming (Atari 2600)
The Earth Dies Screaming? Sounds a little dramatic, huh? It also sounds like the name of one of those corny science fiction alien invasion flicks of decades past, which it is. The film was released in 1964, almost two decades before the game. There's nothing to really indicate that this game is even "based" on the film, however, besides the obvious title similarities and the alien fiends. The instruction booklet doesn't even acknowledge it. It's reminiscent of the game Alligator People, also by 20th Century Fox (though never officially released), which has just about nothing to do with the 1959 theatrical masterpiece. Except, ya know, the alligators. In fact, when released on Atari's 8-bit computers, The Earth Dies Screaming was renamed Final Orbit.

As far as genre goes, The Earth Dies Screaming (talking about the game here), is a first-person space shooter. Similarities to the (vastly more interesting) Star Raiders and Starmaster are immediately apparent. The big difference here is that The Earth Dies Screaming contains no strategic or simulation elements whatsoever: it's just shoot, shoot shoot. It's up to the player to prevent the deadly "Trillian Fighters" from destroying both their ship and/or the Earth itself.
Controls are finely-tuned and the game is conceptually easy to grasp. The player can loop infinitely left and right, and can hold up or down to fly towards or away from the Earth. Alien ships are represented on a radar screen; it's best to purposefully seek them out as opposed to waiting for an ambush. A crosshair, which tracks the enemy's vertical movement, is used to assist in aiming. Kamikaze fighters will head directly for the Earth's surface, while the standard alien fighters will do so only if allowed to fly by the player's ship. A color-coded status bar, broken into two chunks, is used to display the respective health of the player's ship and the planet Earth alike. It is possible to regain health, though it's a tricky maneuver that requires one follow a specific type of alien spacecraft to its base.

Graphics are generally good, with the perpetually scrolling atmosphere of Earth being the main highlight. The "blasting" sound effects are standard Atari fare, and there are some accompanying flashes of varying colors, based on what targets are hit. Overall, the game's rather dull. There's nothing here but endless shooting. Yes, this describes a great many Atari games, but The Earth Dies Screaming offers nothing approaching the iconic villains of Space Invaders, or the progression of Gorf and Phoenix, or the depth of the aforementioned Star Raiders and Starmaster. It's a slow and tedious experience, where enemies are picked at piecemeal. There's a glut of dead space air and a whole lot of time spent doing absolutely nothing. The game supposedly gets more challenging as it progresses, though I'd suspect that the bulk of the challenge stems from player fatigue. In a world where Battlezone exists there's no reason to give The Earth Dies Screaming more than a passing glance.
Ack

by Ack Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:05 pm

1. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch)(Adventure)
2. Final Fight [Japanese Version] (Switch)(Beat 'Em Up)
3. Ziggurat (PC)(FPS)
4. Magrunner: Dark Pulse (PC)(FPS)
5. The King of Dragons [Japanese](Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)

6. Captain Commando [Japanese](Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
7. Knights of the Round [Japanese](Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
8. The Witcher (PC)(RPG)

9. Tenchi wo Kurau II (Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
10. Dark Sun: Shattered Lands (PC)(RPG)

11. Lichdom: Battlemage (PC)(FPS/RPG Hybrid)
12. Star Wars: Republic Commando (PC)(FPS)

13. DOOM 64 (PC)(FPS)
14. Half Dead 2 (PC)(Adventure)

15. Powered Gear - Strategic Variant Armor Equipment (Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
16. Torchlight II (PC)(RPG)

17. Battle Circuit [Japanese](Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
18. Hard Reset Redux (PC)(FPS)

19. The Stanley Parable (PC)(Walking Sim)
20. Waking Mars (PC)(Adventure)
21. Requiem: Avenging Angel (PC)(FPS)

22. Night Slashers (Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
23. Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD (PC)(Action Adventure)

24. Strikers 1945 (Arcade)(SHMUP)
25. SiN Episodes: Emergence (PC)(FPS)
26. Crysis Warhead (PC)(FPS)

27. Metro 2033 (PC)(FPS)
28. Good Job! (Switch)(Puzzle)
29. Blasphemous (Switch)(Action Adventure)

30. Two Worlds: Epic Edition (PC)(RPG)
31. Chex Quest HD (PC)(FPS)

32. NecroVision: Lost Company (PC)(FPS)
33. Icewind Dale (PC)(RPG)

34. Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter (PC)(RPG)
35. Icewind Dale: Trials of the Luremaster (PC)(RPG)

36. Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession (PC)(RPG)
37. Singularity (PC)(FPS)
38. The Witcher 2 (PC)(RPG)
39. Still Life 2 (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)
40. Myst IV: Revelation (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)
41. Gato Roboto (Switch)(Action Adventure)
42. Painkiller: Overdose (PC)(FPS)

43. Battle Realms (PC)(RTS)
44. Battle Realms: Winter of the Wolf (PC)(RTS)

Winter of the Wolf is the expansion for Battle Realms, offering up things like bug fixes (in v1.0 Battle Realms you could apparently destroy enemy buildings by Ctrl-clicking them) as well as an entirely new prequel campaign as the Wolf Clan. While the Wolf serve as a pseudo-bad guy in the original set of levels, here they are rising out of slavery to eliminate their Lotus Clan overseers.

Years before, the Wolf Clan lived in a different land. However, floods and storms drove them to use the power of their sacred totem, the White Wolf Skull, to teleport them to the island nation that makes up the world of Battle Realms. They were initially welcomes by the Serpent and Lotus clans, until one day those clans invaded and enslaved them. Seven years later, the last heir to the Wolf throne decides it is time for the uprising and must lead his clan out of the mines and up against the evil Lotus sorceress who has enslaved them. And yes, she does corrupt the White Wolf Skull for an attempt at eternal winter. The title was literal, folks.

From a basic game perspective, Winter of the Wolf operates the same way as Battle Realms, though you do not receive the option to make decisions as to where to invade. You do however eventually build bases, train and crosstrain units, and fight to build Yang points for unit upgrades. However, the Wolf campaign offers greater variety in map styles, with many levels focusing not on base construction but on building up a band of warriors and using their abilities to navigate traps. It's about how these units work and what benefits they pose. Also, it's about mob tactics.

Yeah, it's nice when an RTS faction has a totally different playstyle, and the Wolf do from the Dragon and Serpent clans of the base game. Instead of orderly squads, dedicated healers, and cavalry, the Wolf work best when you armor them up in a mixed mob. You don't have a stable; you instead feed horsemeat to your pet wolves and can then bring them along to add to your mob. You don't just upgrade, you also get the choice of getting armor or accepting the boon of lycanthropy, which can turn a dying soldier into a fierce werewolf with full health in an instant and sway the tide of a fight. Unit upgrades also aren't as crucial because they're more often situational, like giving more stamina for running or doing more damage for a ranged unit only if it has a higher elevation than the target. This means you can sit back and relax a bit instead of constantly pressing on with the aggressiveness of the Dragon and Serpent clans, because you really don't need so much Yang.

Building size is also a major consideration for playing Winter of the Wolf, because your buildings are so huge, you're often stuck with real estate decisions. This actually makes the game more interesting, because you're now forced into making calls on trying to expand your base into potentially hostile terrain or send in a weaker task force in the hopes of eliminating a target. What's nice is that on the maps where you have this problem, you usually have a lesser goal than killing the enemy; there's a balance here that works way better than Battle Realms. It also does something in the end that proceeds the kind of Hero focus later found in DOTA-likes, ending with a single Hero unit who must march around a short map and take on the final boss in a mano-y-mano showdown.

In short, I thought Winter of the Wolf was more fun, more interesting, and overall better balanced than the base game. I'd actually recommend playing it first, before ever touching the main campaign; it's almost the same length, coming in at 11 maps, one short of Battle Realms' 12, but it just has better flow and fewer frustrations. If you're gonna play Battle Realms, definitely play Winter of the Wolf...so long as you're cool with some of your units doing bad Schwarzenegger impersonations.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
PresidentLeever
Next-Gen

by PresidentLeever Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:24 am

Toejam & Earl: Back in the Groove (tutorial and fixed mode, 1p)

Not a bad update to the MD original besides the bugs, but not great either. While there's a bit more to do (besides new content it incorporates some ideas of the second game into the top down rogue-lite formula), and it moves and plays smoother and faster while having less dead space, there are unexpected issues with hit detection, difficulty balancing and some underdeveloped ideas.

6.5/10 or 7/10 if the bugs are fixed.

Pros:
-Each char has 6 stats here which upgrade as you level up though the gains are random, and a tweaked version of the funk scan from T&E 2 was added which is frequently used to find money and presents in containers
-Can upgrade/amp up presents (lets you use some of them twice)
-Difficulty options+a tutorial mode (can adjust the difficulty on the fly)
-Offline and online co-op (up to 4 players)
-More responsive overall controls
-Some cool new presents and earthlings
-Healing item shops
-See the first game also includes hyperfunk zone and rhythm mini-games from T&E 2)
-Plays faster and smoother than the first game (there's also less dead space)
-Enemies are also affected by the bowling ball trap (and an amped "burnin' up" present makes earthlings catch on fire as well)
-Can see down to the floor below the one you're on
-"Show wiseman" works like a teleport to him if you amp/upgrade the present (same with show ship piece and show elevator) - no such present for the wizard though
-Some night levels (and torch presents, have a small flashlight on you by default) plus snow levels w/ slippery surfaces/ice and small hills/slopes in any level (T&E 2)
-Comedic tone with some good jokes
-Can play as latisha and lewanda here (can also unlock flo, peabo and geek jam from T&E 2-3; the oldschool toejam and earl versions are also a bit different) - these all have different starting stats and one minor special ability (toejam uses Hitops and Spring Shoes for twice as long for example)
-Can make your own beats in the rhythm mini-game (can't choose between a pre-made beat and making your own though and can't change the tempo)
-If you fall down and talk to a wiseman he might spawn an elf for you
-If you have zero presents and/or low health then some NPCs might help you out with an item or make you invisible (there are also a couple of dialogue choices in these situations as well as in the hot tube on Level 0)
-Hidden alternate ending and side dialogue providing some character development
-The interactive epilogue returns and choosing two things (1 char and 1 power hat) to unlock is added - would've been cooler if you still had your presents and could access the mini-games though, interactive and skippable staff roll (fly through it)
-Unlockable power hat gear (stat buffs and other effects, see notes; have to be playing on normal difficulty to unlock one which feels backwards since they make a run easier) - asks if you want to activate them when exiting an elevator after entering a new floor but it's random whether it'll work or not
-Satisfying sfx overall and great OST
-Adds a mini-map which can be enlarged to near full screen (first game had a separate screen)
-Money is more common and there's a wiseman on every level

Mixed:
-Save anywhere but can't quit without saving (also see below)
-Broken presents - there's a chance that they'll blow up so it's a gamble though your present skill increases your chances
-Not much voice acting in-game and you can't talk to some NPCs
-Can't save found food for later if you have a full life bar
-Very small gaps are auto-jumped over if you move towards them
-Timed instead of ammo-based thrown tomatoes and slingshots
-Can find hidden funkotron levels but they play like normal levels besides the UFO enemies (at one point I found one that was empty and had no evelator; UFO enemies also end up appearing in the regular levels later on) - seems that finding them is purely luck-based as well
-Some trapped elevators (hard to react but there are ways to avoid them consistently)
-Level ups randomly increase 3 stats (there are no probability tweaks based on starting stats so they tend to stop mattering after a few levels which is a bit of a shame)
-No respec stats item (there is a demotion/level down present but it's rare and you of course have to grind a bit to regain the exp if you use it)
-Incorporating more rhythm elements to either the main gameplay or HFZ might've been cool
-Backer islands - meet backer NPCs and get some money (these are cool but usually require an item-based jump or flight to get to and don't open up a shortcut back to where you were after getting to them)
-An active icarus wings item is wasted if you go into a HF zone unlike when going into an elevator

Cons:
-Save games get deleted after a game over (plus there's just one slot per game which can't be copied so it's completely gone if it happens!, there's also a lives system and 1-ups are kind of rare) - happens even on easier difficulties
-Found items (including NPCs) might drop into pits if the item container object you shook was close to one
-Control/interface issues (the game doesn't sense PS4 controllers so you have to translate the XB360 buttons to it, found items sometimes drop behind obstacles making them hard to see unless you move close enough to make the obstacle semi-transparent, can't put an active item back into the inventory (saving its current state in terms of how much time you have left to use it) - would've been useful for the spring shoes for example since you can't interact with anything while using them or when you fell down and want to get back to the elevator quickly but not waste the whole item (there is an express elevator item that takes you back to the highest visited level or the next one if you're at the highest but it's rare), can't access the tutorial/mechanics and items explanations from the in-game menu, somewhat unforgiving hit detection on item drops - breaks flow a bit (with some NPCs it's the opposite problem - you might want to interact with a button or coin slots/parking meters and you end up talking to an NPC instead), sometimes sloppy hit detection when interacting with the buttons and parking meters - you can be pressing the button from one angle while standing very close and it doesn't work but then it does from a different angle but the same distance, found mailboxes/shops and wizards+fixers aren't marked on the map after finding them, the flashlight defaults to pointing south when you stop moving even if you were moving north, can't speed up dialogue with NPCs, can't map the timed teleport move to its own button (same as sneaking and interacting with objects/NPCs), etc.)
-Default movement is pretty slow and there's no run button (plus items that increase speed don't last that long and can only be used once; while you move faster on roads they are pretty rare) - some sort of permanent version of the hitops (or a version of the panic button in T&E 2) would've been good or at least being able to teleport to the elevator on a beaten level
-No strafing or dodging means combat/avoidance gameplay is pretty basic
-The button and parking meter trails from T&E 2 feel kind of pointless here since there's no challenge in getting to the next one (no timer and level design is basic) - they can also lead to an enemy/negative item/into a group of pre-existing enemies in the level which kinda sucks
-Uneven difficulty at times (black ice cream truck kills you instantly, the rhythm mini-game starts off kind of hard and you only get one shot at getting a "great/wow" rank (letting you proceed once) even in the tutorial game mode - would've been better if you could keep going until you fail and it had more of a progression curve to it)
-Some tedious aspects (rain clouds follow you to other levels when using elevators, sometimes you jump or teleport to an island and then can't get back because no shortcut opened up and you have no item to let you jump back, 10+ seconds of loading (sometimes 20 for some reason!)+several unskippable logos when booting up the game and then 5-10 seconds more when loading a game, etc)

Full pros and cons on my site.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:57 pm

First 30
1. Her Story (iOS)
2. Elminage Original (3DS)
3. Legend of Grimrock (iOS)
4. Silent Bomber (PS1)
5. Crash Bandicoot (PS1)
6. Bust-a-Move 2 Arcade Edition (PS1)
7. Transformers Cybertron Adventures (Wii)
8. Squidlit (Switch)
9. Sydney Hunter & The Curse of the Mayan (Switch)
10. Mega Man Legends (PS1)
11. Revenge of the Bird King (Switch)
12. Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King (Switch)
13. Gato Roboto (Switch)
14. Kamiko (Switch)
15. Night Slashers (Arcade)
16. Subsurface Circular (Switch)
17. Iconoclasts (Switch)
18. Wonder Boy Returns Remix (Switch)
19. Resident Evil 3 (PS1)
20. The Messenger (Switch)
21. The Messenger: Picnic Panic (Switch)
22. Samsara Room (iOS)
23. Heroes of the Monkey Tavern (Switch)
24. Sayonara Wild Hearts (Switch)
25. Gris (Switch)
26. Donut County (iOS)
27. Donkey Kong Country 2 (SNES)
28. Donkey Kong Country 3 (SNES)
29. Contra (Arcade)
30. Super Contra (Arcade)

31. Minesweeper Genius (Switch)
32. Kuso (Switch)
33. 20XX (Switch)
34. Spooky Ghosts Dot Com (Switch)
35. Aggelos (Switch)
36. Quell+ (iOS)
37. The White Door (iOS)
38. Grizzland (Switch)
39. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (Switch)

Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight Is the fourth game in the previously PC-exclusive Momodora series, and it’s a nice bite-sized Metroidvania that doesn’t do anything revolutionary but does everything right. It plays really well; it has great atmosphere and interesting characters, and it has sprite work the game reminiscent of Cave Stories most detailed sprites. The game is also full of mystery and well-hidden secrets. More importantly, and like the original Metroid, its non-linear, and it allows you a lot of freedom to explore the game. (A lot of new Metroidvanias would do well to take note. The most compelling aspect of the genre is exploration, not backtracking!) Finally, it’s tough! I died a lot, and every time I did, it was my fault. Regular enemies and traps would beat me down as soon as I entered the second area, and many bosses would wreck me the first time I fought them. After learning how to approach them, however, I was able to beat a few without getting hit, demonstrating the game’s “tough, but fair” approach to difficulty. While I didn’t find everything, I did get 100% map completion, the true final boss, and the hood ending in about seven hours, which is the just the right length for this type of game, in my opinion. Highly recommended.
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:36 pm

@prfnsl_gamer: Momodara is a fabulous game, definitely kicked my ass at first but as you learn it the game becomes much more manageable. It is one of those games that just gets everything right and doesnt get the praise it deserves.

104. Resident Evil: darkside chronicles (wii)
105. Wicked Monsters Blast (wii)

104. RE: darkside chronicles

DC is an on rails light gun shooter that covers the events of resident evil 2, resident evil code veronica, and also builds a bridge between code veronica and RE 4. The game starts off with you playing as Leon on a mission from the president, you team up with Krauser (one of the final bosses in RE4) to find and destroy the code veronica virus. Krauser has no experience with the virus so Leon tells him all about his experiences with zombies and other bio weapons, which has the player reliving re 2 and CV through the lens of a rails shooter. The story is nicely told with lots of cutscenes, set pieces, and massive boss battles, as someone who is a huge fan of the RE universe and never completed code veronica it was great to finally witness the evens in that game as well as get some back story into events that led to RE4.

This is probably the longest light gun game ever made, while most games of this type focus on a short experience, usually not lasting more than 30 minutes to an hour, darkside chronicles is a solid 8-12 hour campaign, with 21 levels, each level being a decent length and can last anywhere from 10 to 40 minutes.

The amount of depth in this game is also far greater than your average light gun game. You get a ton of weapons and you can hold them in your inventory and horde ammo until you need it. At anytime you can assign each weapon to a direction on the d pad, but you can also pause the game and switch to more powerul weapons like the magnum and rocket launcer. Pretty much any weapon from RE you can think of is here, your standard pistol has unlimited ammo and other weapons are scattered around the levels, like any good RE game it is generally a good idea to conserve your ammo for when you really need it and rely on the pistol to get through most of the levels. Each weapon has tons of areas you can upgrade with currency earned in levels and you can upgrade stats such as power, reload speed, shoot speed and stopping power. Stopping power is particularly important since the higher the stopping power the more likely your gun is to intercept an enemy attack. You also get access to healing herbs that can be used by pressing the + button and a first aid spray which auto uses when you die, unlock the ammo these healing items can not be horded and brought between levels so if you need to use them you should use them.

The amount of enemies in this game is huge, pretty much every enemy from RE 2, CV, and some new enemies are all here. Every enemy has a weak point (usually its head) which you know because the cursor blinks red when it is on the weak point. Targeting these weak points is vital as it will cause more damage and stagger enemies and interrupt their attacks. Boss fights are at the end of nearly every level and can be extremely long affiars that require a steady aim and tons of ammo.

My one complaint about the game is it is sometimes difficult to aim. Where most light gun shooters have a static view with the enemies moving erratically this game has both the camera moving erratically (simulating your character moving, looking, etc) as well as the enemies moving erratically, this can make targeting enemies needlessly hard to hit sometimes, and while I found this to be very frustrating at times when I was playing it, in hindsight I appreciate the level of challenge it offered. This is definitely a pretty tough game and smart use of items and knowledge of how to interrupt every enemy attack is absolutely vital to have any level of success.

Overall, this is a must play game, fans of resident evil will appreciate the story, but even if you don't know the source material and just like on rails shooters this is one of the best around, it offers a lengthy and deep experience, with plenty of incentives to go back and replay for better ranks and hidden objects, and it is coop.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:09 am

Partridge Senpai's 2020 Beaten Games:
Previously: 2016 2017 2018 2019
* indicates a repeat

1. Invisigun Reloaded (Switch)
2. Human: Fall Flat (Switch)
3. Shantae: The Pirate's Curse (3DS)
4. Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (PC)
5. Splatterhouse (PS3) *
6. 3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3)
7. Tokyo Jungle (PS3)
8. Pictobits (DSiWare)
9. Puzzle Quest: The Legend Reborn (Switch)
10. WarioWare Gold (3DS)
11. Disaster: Day of Crisis (Wii)
12. Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition (Xbone)
13. Sleeping Dogs: Nightmare in North Point (Xbone)
14. Sleeping Dogs: Year of the Snake (Xbone)
15. Dynamite Headdy (Genesis) *
16. Shovel Knight: King of Cards (3DS)
17. Shovel Knight: Shovel of Hope (3DS) *
18. Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows (Switch) *
19. Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment (Switch) *
20. Shovel Knight: Showdown (Switch)
21. Dragon Quest Builders 2 (PS4)
22. ActRaiser (SNES)
23. Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth (WiiWare)
24. Mega Man X (SNES)
25. Breath of Fire II (SNES)
26. Ape Escape 2 (PS2) *
27. Doubutsu No Mori+ (GC)
28. Ape Escape (PS1)
29. Ape Escape 3 (PS2) *
30. Maken X (DC)
31. Cubivore (GC)
32. Wario World (GC) *
33. Hatoful Boyfriend (PC)
34. Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem (SFC)
35. Baku Bomberman 2 (N64)
36. Chameleon Twist (N64)
37. Gato Roboto (PC)
38. The Messenger (PC)
39. The Messenger: Picnic Panic (PC)

40. Baku Bomberman (N64)

Continuing my little Bomberman kick brought on by playing Baku Bomberman 2 a few weeks ago, over the past week I played through the first Baku Bomberman game, or Bomberman 64 as it's known in the West. It's overall a much shorter but much better game than it's sequel, and it only took me 3 or 4 hours in total to complete with the bad ending.

Baku Bomberman is another attempt to make more of an action adventure game out of the Bomberman formula, but with much more DNA of the classic Bomberman style than its sequel. The evil Altair and his four lieutenants have come to planet Bomberman seeking to drain all of its life force for Altair's evil schemes. Bomberman rushes in to beat the four islands and the final lair of Altair himself in 20 stages of action platforming. The story is much lighter than the sequel, and the cast of characters is much more forgettable as a result. Granted, this is Bomberman, so that isn't exactly a huge strike against the game, but it made me appreciate the effort the second game put into the characters with just how little this game has to its writing.

There are technically 20 stages in the game, but about half of those are boss fights, with each of the 5 worlds having 4 stages and two of those stages being just boss fights. If you found the remote power in the previous stage and finished the level with it, though, you get to go into the boss fight with remote detonation bombs, which is pretty darn helpful lemee tell ya. The levels aren't super long or difficult, and are all around pretty darn forgiving, as there's a life system and a continue system (much like the American version of Baku Bomberman 2) where losing a life just puts you back to the start of the last room you entered, while using a continue totally restarts a level. Even then, you never lose your fire or bomb powerups even by using a continue (although you do lose remote detonation bombs when you lose even one life, which is unfortunate).

There are some light puzzle elements in each stage, but it's mostly just going from one end to the other and following the path in front of you. While there are hidden custom parts to make yourself look snazzy for the battle mode, what are also even more well hidden are the secret golden cards hidden in every stage. Each stage has 5 of them for a total of 100 (and if you get all 100 you get a secret good ending), with three hidden in the stage, one for killing a certain amount of enemies, and one for beating the level in a certain amount of time. I'm fairly sure you don't need to get them all in one go, as the time requirements would make that kinda impossible, but those hidden cards are often REALLY well hidden and even in the earliest levels really require mastering the bomb kicking and throwing mechanics to be able to bounce yourself to far off places and over seemingly impossible pits. I had no patience for that as those mechanics you need to master are pretty finicky and not all that fun to push through, but it's a nice little extra thing you can do if you really wanna sink your teeth into this game.

Verdict: Recommended. While I think the second game will last longer in my heart due to the longer time I spent with it, this is easily a better all around product and far easier to recommend. It's far more forgiving, the stage design is tighter, the bosses (while some are still definitely not super intuitive and kinda crap/too easy) are far more consistent in thier difficulty, it's less buggy. This is a far more recommendable game that you'll probably have way more fun with than the sequel, even if it's something you'll probably blow through in an afternoon and not think about too much afterwards.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:52 am

@pook99

Thanks for reading my Momodora review! I’m glad someone else has played it. I liked it so much, I’m going to figure out how to play the first three games in the series, and I am looking forward to the developer’s next effort. Also, great review of RE: Darkside Chronicles. I really want to play those, but I’d like to (at least try to) get through Code Veronica first. They look like a lot of fun.
Return to General Gaming