34. EVO: The Search for Eden - SNES
35. Blast Corps - N64
36. Command & Conquer: The Covert Operations - PC
37. Command & Conquer Red Alert: Counterstrike - PC
38. The Last of Us Part 2 - PS4
39. Exodemon - PC
40. Halo: Reach - PC
41. Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary - PC

Well, the original Halo turned out to play much better than Reach, which now has me worried. I'm going to be going into every game wondering if this is the one where they fuck up the gunplay. Though with any luck it won't be until Halo 3, just looking at engine progression. Or maybe Reach is just an anomaly? Which is not to say that Halo 1 lacks flaws; it certainly has a lot. They just aren't outshined by the generally solid performance otherwise.

So the game starts by tossing out some excuse plot told through dialog that has terrible volume balance, which will be a running theme. While Reach's vocals were intentionally radio garbled here the vocals are just too soft compared to the rest of the audio. And again, no subtitles. You'll get the sense as you go through that the story was retrofitted onto the game as an excuse to have you shoot stuff, rather than taking an approach of the game serving the story like you see in Mass Effect. But the basic premise is the alien Covenant is chasing your ship and you crash on this weird ring-shaped artificial world, and in the process of rounding up survivors discover that the Covenant think the world is sacred and maybe there's a weapon that can win the war and oops it actually will eradicate all life in the galaxy so we gotta stop it.

But no one played Halo 1 for the plot (that came with later entries as I understand it). They played it for the, at the time, impressive gameplay. And I have to say, overall things are solid. All the guns feel reasonably powerful with their own important niche, and you'll want to regularly swap things, but the game also is pretty good about giving you ammo so you don't tend to feel forced to use one particular weapon. The game introduced the regenerating shields mechanic and here it is tuned a bit better than it felt in Reach; about a half second faster before the regen kicks in which makes a big difference. There's pretty good enemy variety who have their own behaviors which keeps combat interesting. My gut feeling with why Reach felt bad was they generally reduced magazine size in that game and increased bullet damage, but not by enough. So, for example, the assault rifle is 60 rounds in Halo 1 but 35 in Reach, so almost halving it. I'm guessing bullet damage was increased by 50%, but that means a clip in Reach does less damage than a clip in Halo 1. Also, the Halo 1 guns just feel more chunky and sound better.

The other thing Halo 1 was notable for was the seamless vehicle integration. Many of the levels are large and open and almost require you to get in a vehicle to complete in a reasonable amount of time, and you could get in and out with a smooth transition to third person. However, they were still getting their feet wet with the concept, so the vehicle physics are pretty janky. Everything is extremely floaty (which you REALLY notice in the final escape the explosion in the jeep segment) and the slightest touch counts as running something over (including you). Also, the AI doesn't yet know how to drive if you get in the turret which makes the jeep levels a bit of a pain due to the AI's gunnery with the turret being terrible (though if a sniper rides shotgun you're in business).

The game also has some incredibly lazy level design; several of the levels involve a LOT of copy and paste and a couple also are just way too long. And when you take a step back you realize that you basically do every level twice; some of them are a backtrack from the end to the start to trigger the next level while others are revisited in the reverse order due to the story. Which kind of ruins the otherwise interesting architecture and the couple of grand vistas they have.

Still, it's a solid enough title and it's clear to see how it got popular. I still feel that the PC contemporary titles at the time were better games overall but I can't call this a bad game by any stretch of the imagination.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
MrPopo

Re: Games Beaten 2020

by MrPopo Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:52 pm

1. Elite Dangerous - PC
2. Soldier of Fortune - PC
3. Star Wars: TIE Fighter: Defender of the Empire - PC
4. Star Wars: TIE Fighter: Enemies of the Empire - PC
5. Star Wars: X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter: Balance of Power - PC
6. Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance - PC
7. Phoenix Point - PC
8. Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter - PC
9. Descent II - PC
10. Inbento - Switch
11. Ori and the Will of the Wisps - XB1
12. Doom Eternal - PC
13. Serious Sam 2 - PC
14. Black Mesa - PC
15. Descent 3 - PC
16. Darksiders II - PC
17. Resident Evil 3 (2020) - PC
18. Overload - PC
19. Final Fantasy VII Remake - PS4
20. Trials of Mana (2020) - Switch
21. Persona 5 Royal - PS4
22. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered - PC
23. Sublevel Zero Redux - PC
24. Final Fantasy XII: Zodiac Age - PS4
25. Maneater - PC
26. XCOM: Chimera Squad - PC
27. Sakura Wars - PS4
28. Stela - Switch
29. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 - DC
30. Darksiders III - PC
31. Shadow Warrior (2013) - PC
32. Robotrek - SNES
33. Shadow Warrior 2 - PC
34. EVO: The Search for Eden - SNES
35. Blast Corps - N64
36. Command & Conquer: The Covert Operations - PC
37. Command & Conquer Red Alert: Counterstrike - PC
38. The Last of Us Part 2 - PS4
39. Exodemon - PC
40. Halo: Reach - PC
41. Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary - PC
42. Halo 2: Anniversary - PC

After Halo proved to be a hit Bungie went about making Halo 2. At this point they've clearly been given the green light from Microsoft to go hog wild with the notion that there would be as many more games as they could produce, so Halo 2 ramps up the story content something fierce. The game has a pretty coherent story (though one point near the end has the events be a bit hand-wavy) that moves the universe forward to a major climax. Meanwhile, the game improves the gameplay of the predecessor to produce exactly what you want out of a sequel.

Halo 2 picks up with Master Chief returning to Earth just in time for the Covenant to invade. Though, weirdly, it's with a tiny fleet compared to what they used to burn Reach. As the story unfolds it turns out they weren't attacking Earth the homeworld of Humans, but rather going to a random planet that has some buried Precursor technology and get repulsed. You jump aboard right before they escape, you find another Halo ring, and shit goes down.

Meanwhile, you spend half the game as one of the Elites, now disgraced for letting the original Halo be destroyed. You deal with some other Covenant forces who are trying to break away and discover the true purpose of the Halos, and eventually this kicks off a major civil war within the Covenant. The gamer will bounce back and forth between Master Chief and the Arbiter, and it actually ends with the Arbiter as the final controlled player character in an enemy mine situation as you stop the second Halo from wiping out life.

The game mostly builds on the previous game; it swaps out the assault rifle for a zoomable three round burst battle rifle which is just flat better in every way. It also lets you pick up enemy energy swords to fight dudes (and weirdly they have ammo) and to dual wield any combination of one handed weapons. This ends up being a mixed bag of a feature; it prevents you from swapping weapons and throwing a grenade or meleeing makes you drop the offhand weapon. But for certain parts of the game it is vital, as those are the parts where you are forced to use Covenant weapons exclusively while fighting Covenant. And Convenant weapons against Covenant doesn't feel great due to how the damage works in the game. You'll cherish the times the Flood comes in and provides Human weapons, as they are universally better in general.

The end of the game, though, is a major cliffhanger. Story-wise you're expecting one final level to cap off the current plots but instead the game cuts to credits. And that's unnecessary, given there's still a major plot thread revealed at the end that would have been the perfect "tune in next time". You don't have to put two massive dangling threads when one will do. I'm assuming that there will be more twists and turns when we pick up what should have been one final level in Halo 3. But since so far the first two games have handled much better than Reach I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop; maybe 3 is where they screw things up in the gunplay to go with the generational leap.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:11 am

97. Soul Calibur Legends (wii)

Soul Calibur Legends is a 3rd person beat em up/hack n slash game that takes place in the soul calibur universe. I am not familiar with the soul calibur franchise in general, I did play the original soul calibur a fair bit back in the day, but I don't know much about the lore or the story beyond the fact that there are 2 super powerful swords that everyone is fighting over. This game takes place in between soul edge and soul calibur and serves as a prequel to soul calibur. If you are into that series this game will serve as some nice story filler, but knowledge of that franchise is not necessary as the game does tell a story that can stand on its own.

You start the game as Siegfried, who you play as for the vast majority of the game. As you beat levels you get to unlock a few other fighters from the series including Ivy, Sophitia, Asgaroth, Mitsurigi, and Taki. In Soul Calibur tradition, you also get a cameo from a character outside the series; Lloyd which is the main character in some prominent RPG of the time (Either arc rise fantasia or tales of Symphonia, I forget which one). Most levels allow you to take 2 characters with you, Siegfried is usually mandatory, and then you can choose one other character, who you can switch back and forth with anytime in that level. Each character has their own health bar which definitely comes in handy as the difficulty of the game progresses.

Gameplay is what you would expect from a beat em up, you run from place to fight, fight hordes of enemies, break crates to find health/power ups, and usually fight a boss in the end. This game was met with pretty terrible reception when it was released and I do not understand why. The combat in this game is a lot of fun, each character has a wide range of moves and special moves, and all the characters feel different enough that it does matter who you take into each level with you.

Combat is handled with the wii mote, and the character will emulate the motion you make with it, swinging the wii mote left to right, right to left, up to down, down to up, and poking forward all produce different moves and combos that are useful in different situations. There is also a special button that you can press to give you access to a variety of powerful special moves and are powered by a separate energy bar. There is a block button and if you thrust the nunchuck while you hold the block button you perform a parry which can block almost anything and stuns the enemy allowing you to get some free hits in.

This is a decent lengthed game, it took me about 8 hours to play through it but environments repeat a lot. There are about 8 or so levels in the whole game and you have to revisit the environments many different times, each time the level layout is different, as are enemy placements, enemy types, traps and so forth so the levels are different but the environments do tend to get a bit repetitive.

I really enjoyed this game but your enjoyment of it will be directly proportional to how much you like waggle controls. If you hate motion controls then you will hate this game as basically the entire game has you flailing your arm around, but if you enjoy pretending the wii mote is a sword and swinging it around to bash enemies than you will probably enjoy it. It is a well made beat em up and while not as polished as games like DMC or bayonetta, it is a fun and unique game.
Ack

by Ack Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:56 pm

1. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch)(Adventure)
2. Final Fight [Japanese Version] (Switch)(Beat 'Em Up)
3. Ziggurat (PC)(FPS)
4. Magrunner: Dark Pulse (PC)(FPS)
5. The King of Dragons [Japanese](Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)

6. Captain Commando [Japanese](Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
7. Knights of the Round [Japanese](Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
8. The Witcher (PC)(RPG)

9. Tenchi wo Kurau II (Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
10. Dark Sun: Shattered Lands (PC)(RPG)

11. Lichdom: Battlemage (PC)(FPS/RPG Hybrid)
12. Star Wars: Republic Commando (PC)(FPS)

13. DOOM 64 (PC)(FPS)
14. Half Dead 2 (PC)(Adventure)

15. Powered Gear - Strategic Variant Armor Equipment (Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
16. Torchlight II (PC)(RPG)

17. Battle Circuit [Japanese](Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
18. Hard Reset Redux (PC)(FPS)

19. The Stanley Parable (PC)(Walking Sim)
20. Waking Mars (PC)(Adventure)
21. Requiem: Avenging Angel (PC)(FPS)

22. Night Slashers (Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
23. Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD (PC)(Action Adventure)

24. Strikers 1945 (Arcade)(SHMUP)
25. SiN Episodes: Emergence (PC)(FPS)
26. Crysis Warhead (PC)(FPS)

27. Metro 2033 (PC)(FPS)
28. Good Job! (Switch)(Puzzle)
29. Blasphemous (Switch)(Action Adventure)

30. Two Worlds: Epic Edition (PC)(RPG)
31. Chex Quest HD (PC)(FPS)

32. NecroVision: Lost Company (PC)(FPS)
33. Icewind Dale (PC)(RPG)

34. Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter (PC)(RPG)
35. Icewind Dale: Trials of the Luremaster (PC)(RPG)

36. Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession (PC)(RPG)
37. Singularity (PC)(FPS)
38. The Witcher 2 (PC)(RPG)
39. Still Life 2 (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)
40. Myst IV: Revelation (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)

I'm not really sure what the 'Revelation' subtitle means. This has nothing to do with cataclysmic events, nor really even a major reveal. Huh.

Anyway, Myst IV is the fourth part of the Myst storyline, and while it pays a little lip service to Myst III and Riven, the plot centers on the eventual fate of the two imprisoned evil brothers from the original game. Twenty years have passed since Myst took place, and Atrus, the creator of the linking books and writer of worlds, is curious if his sons have reformed. Since neither he nor his wife Catherine are impartial, and their much younger daughter Yeesha is nowhere near mature enough to really understand what's going on, you get asked to come and check what the deal is with the boys Achenar and Sirrus. Unfortunately, things don't go to plan, an explosion rocks Atrus' home while he's away, and Yeesha vanishes. It falls to you to travel to the two prison worlds, Haven and Spire, and then Yeesha's favorite land, Serenia, to discover what is going on and whether the brothers are reformed.

PRO-TIP: One definitely isn't, but I'll leave that for you to figure out if you choose to play. The important thing here is that the Myst series was incorporating more visual quirks by this point, so more digitized actors moving around, more FMV running as you are moving through areas, more CG critters wandering around, and so forth. You also have a couple of special items, a camera which is useful for photographing puzzle information and an amulet which lets you recall memories in specific places, including important bits of information. In short, you have gear to help you solve puzzles. It does help.

To counter this, Myst 4 also features some devious puzzles too, and all the photos and memory recollections simply will not help in some cases. A new element is also added, timing, which is what irks me the most. While I got through it, several puzzles require you do things quickly or with a relative sense of timing, and the control scheme unfortunately just doesn't support this fluidly. You'll end up needing to memorize some information just because you don't have the chance to check your notes with how fast you need to move. To make matters worse, at least one of these puzzles requires a good deal of precision that I never felt I had; crystal frequencies and sliders are going to bother me for a while.

Oh, but you're not really playing this just for puzzles. You're playing a Myst game for the worlds! Well, don't worry, Myst 4 presents you with a variety of places that are polar opposites; a blue spire of rock and crystal in a storm cloud, a sandy, brown jungle near a shipwrecked coast teeming with life, and a beautiful land of soothing water and elements. There's also a dreamscape you'll have to navigate and...is that Peter Gabriel?

...holy crap, it IS Peter Gabriel!

Yeah, the music of Myst 4 is lovely, and at one point you're effectively treated to a CG music video of the Peter Gabriel song, "Curtains," along with his voicework for a character. Sadly no motion capture or digitization, but we can't have everything.

In terms of interesting worlds, Myst 4 is amazing, as is what I usually find with Myst games. I can't say all of the worlds were to me, but even among the weird CG animals of Haven I found locations that were spectacular. In terms of puzzles, it can be frustrating, but at the same time I still felt rewarded any time I solved anything, even something as simple as unlocking a door. I look forward to one day moving on to the 5th game and perhaps Uru to wrap up the series.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:37 pm

First 30
1. Her Story (iOS)
2. Elminage Original (3DS)
3. Legend of Grimrock (iOS)
4. Silent Bomber (PS1)
5. Crash Bandicoot (PS1)
6. Bust-a-Move 2 Arcade Edition (PS1)
7. Transformers Cybertron Adventures (Wii)
8. Squidlit (Switch)
9. Sydney Hunter & The Curse of the Mayan (Switch)
10. Mega Man Legends (PS1)
11. Revenge of the Bird King (Switch)
12. Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King (Switch)
13. Gato Roboto (Switch)
14. Kamiko (Switch)
15. Night Slashers (Arcade)
16. Subsurface Circular (Switch)
17. Iconoclasts (Switch)
18. Wonder Boy Returns Remix (Switch)
19. Resident Evil 3 (PS1)
20. The Messenger (Switch)
21. The Messenger: Picnic Panic (Switch)
22. Samsara Room (iOS)
23. Heroes of the Monkey Tavern (Switch)
24. Sayonara Wild Hearts (Switch)
25. Gris (Switch)
26. Donut County (iOS)
27. Donkey Kong Country 2 (SNES)
28. Donkey Kong Country 3 (SNES)
29. Contra (Arcade)
30. Super Contra (Arcade)

31. Minesweeper Genius (Switch)
32. Kuso (Switch)
33. 20XX (Switch)
34. Spooky Ghosts Dot Com (Switch)
35. Aggelos (Switch)

Aggelos is a marvelous side-scrolling ARPG inspired by Wonder Boy in Monster World (and, to a certain extent, Faxanadu and Golvellius). It looks wonderful, with large, chunky sprites and the flat, brightly-colored aspect of the best looking Sega Master System games. (This aesthetic is also shared by some TG-16 and early Sega Genesis titles too, and it’s nice to see it again here.) The game plays wonderfully, and the game’s world is incredibly well-designed. In addition to the primary quest, there are many optional side quests with satisfying rewards, a hidden boss, and lots of fun details and secrets that really bring the game world to life. Importantly, the game isn’t too long, and I beat the it in a little over seven hours with 97% completion. (I’m not sure what I missed. I feel like I went into the final battle with everything.) The entire experience was incredibly enjoyable, and I really can’t recommend this game highly enough, especially if you’re a fan of its inspirations.
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:10 pm

@prfsnl_gamer: I'm glad you enjoyed Aggelos, that was probably my surprise game of last year, definitely one of the best indies out there and it does not get the love it deserves.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:12 pm

pook99 wrote:@prfsnl_gamer: I'm glad you enjoyed Aggelos, that was probably my surprise game of last year, definitely one of the best indies out there and it does not get the love it deserves.

I think it’s the title and atrocious icon artwork. It’s literally a great game with a bad name.
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:51 pm

Markies' Games Beat List Of 2020!
*Denotes Replay For Completion*

1. Pikmin 2 (GCN)
2. Banjo-Tooie (N64)
3. Contra: Hard Corps (GEN)
4. Super Baseball Simulator 1,000 (SNES)
5. Chip 'N Dale Rescue Rangers 2 (NES)
6. Pinball Hall of Fame: The Gottlieb Collection (PS2)
***7. Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (PS2)***
***8. Cruis'N USA (N64)***
9. Arc The Lad Collection (PS1)
10. Halo 2 (XBX)
11. Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings And The Lost Ocean (GCN)
12. DuckTales 2 (NES)

13. Atelier Iris 3: Grand Phantasm (PS2)

I beat Atelier Iris 3: Grand Phantasm this afternoon for the Playstation 2.

The first two Atelier Iris games on the PS2 are some of my favorites on the system. The games have beautiful artwork, fantastic battle systems, interesting characters and stories along with really funny dialog. Atelier Iris 2 is probably my favorite of the two, but I really loved the first one as well. When it came to the third one, I had heard mixed reviews of the game. I still really loved the first two and I wanted to try the third one out, so when I saw a brand new copy for sale a few years ago, I decided to treat myself to an early Birthday present. After sitting on my shelf for a while, I decided now would be a great time to give the third game in the trilogy a whirl.

The biggest different between Atelier Iris 3 and its predecessors is how the story progresses. The first two games are very traditional JRPG's where you move from plot point to plot point. In Atelier Iris 3, you are Raiders who accept Quests throughout the entire game. Eventually, you will do a story quest and that is what moves the plot along. You can choose the Quests in any order, but you have to do the plot ones. Also, instead of exploring new areas, you have rather large Worlds that you can't explore at once as you get kicked out. Between the quests and the exploration, the game feels like a Metroidvania-RPG. You learn new abilities, take on different quests and meet new people and all of these let you explore new areas of the Worlds you visit. It is very different and unique once you wrap your head around that concept. Besides that, everything is pretty much the same. The graphics are still this 2D look that is amazing in my eyes. The battle system is fun and incredibly fast paced. The characters are very interesting and I loved talking to all of them. The story was a bit by the numbers, but I kind of expected that going in.

Overall, I really enjoyed Atelier Iris 3: Grand Phantasm. I do have to say that the backtracking in the game can get a little old, especially near the end. Exploring the same areas gets really repetitive especially if you are looking for one item. Besides that complaint, the game was fun to play and interesting every time I turned it on. It was just addicting to do the quests and the battle system was just so enjoyable. I prefer the first two of the series, but Atelier Iris 3 solidifies the series as one of my favorite on the PS2.
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:22 pm

98. Martian Panic (wii)

Martian Panic is one of those obscure light gun shooters that you would probably just assume is shovelware if you looked at the case, but this was a surprisingly well made and fun game, and is definitely one I would consider a hidden gem.

The story is set in the 1950's, aliens are invading and you play as one of several different regular people tasked to defend the planet from the invaders. The whole game feels like a parody of sci fi movies from the 50's, every level takes place in some kind of 50's locale like drive in theaters, secret government facilities, and a suburban neighborhood among others, there are cutscenes between levels which set the stage and lots of random dialogue and set pieces that do a great job of exhuding a cheesy B-movie vibe with lots of campy humor.

The gameplay is standard light gun fare, lots of things to shoot, destructable environments, civilians to be rescued, and a nice selection of different guns you can get in addition to the normal pistol. Difficulty is adjustable, there is an easy mode with unlimited continues so if you just want to enjoy the game you can run through it on that but there are other difficulty modes which add a nice challenge. I played through on normal where you get 3 continues per level and just barely finished it. The game does a nice job of telegraphing enemy attacks and scales up the difficulty curve in a smooth way.

Martian Panic was a really nice surprise, I don't think I have ever heard anyone talk about this game ever, but as far as light gun games go it is definitely a lot of fun and, while not as great as stuff like house of the dead, it can still hang with some of the better light gun games on the system.
Flake

by Flake Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:37 am

January through June:
January
Shovel Knight: King of Cards (Switch)
Diablo III: Reaper of Souls (Switch)
Super Metroid (Switch)

February
Megaman X (Switch)
Nekketsu Highschool Dodgeball Club (Switch)
Super Dodgeball (Switch)

March

Garou: Mark of the Wolves (SNK Pro Stick)
Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch)

April

Batman The Telltale Series (Switch)
Street Fighter Alpha 2 (Switch)
SNK Gals' Fighter (Switch)

May

King of Fighters 97: Global Match (PS4)
Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch)

June
Megaman X3 (Switch)
Megaman X4 (Switch)
King of Fighters 98: Ultimate Match (PS4)
King of Fighters 99 (Switch)
Injustice 2 (PS4)

July

Donkey Kong Country (WiiU)

It's Donkey Kong Country! On a whim, I hooked up my WiiU for the first time in a while and realized I'd started a game of DKC last year and never finished it.

DKC has aged so very well. The gameplay, level design, visuals and (most importantly) music stick the landing no matter how much time goes by. It's a perfect little weekend platformer that doesn't ask a ton of the player. Given how stressed I am about work and life lately, I don't think I could have spent my time this weekend playing anything better.
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
Return to General Gaming