Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
MrPopo

Re: Games Beaten 2020

by MrPopo Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:13 pm

PresidentLeever wrote:I see, I thought you wanted more challenge from the combat.

Based on the mechanics I can't see the combat getting more challenging in an interesting way. Dodge timing is very generous in the game and everything autotracks super hard, so harder would be either fewer pauses in between attacks (with more attack chaining) or adding in attack chains that are fast enough that you haven't recovered from the first dodge (which is then just cheap). The combat engine just isn't compelling to begin with for me to seek out harder fights.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:37 pm

Games Beaten in 2020 - 15
* denotes a replay

January (1 Game Beaten)
1. Pokemon Sun - 3DS - January 14*

February (2 Games Beaten)
2. Star Wars: Jedi - Fallen Order - Xbox One - February 15
3. Pokemon: Let's Go, Eevee! - Switch - February 29*

March (10 Games Beaten)
4. Pokemon Shield - Switch - March 1*
5. Doom [1993] - Switch - March 6*
6. SD Gundam G Generation Cross Rays - PS4 - March 6
7. Lego DC Super Villains - Switch - March 19
8. Doom II: Hell on Earth - Switch - March 19
9. Doom 3 - Switch - March 20
10. Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil - Switch - March 22
11. Doom 3: The Lost Mission - Switch - March 23
12. Doom 64 - Switch - March 26
13. Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth - Nintendo 64 - March 28

April (2 Games Beaten)
14. Wolfenstein 3D - Steam - April 1
15. Doom Eternal - Xbox One - April 3

15. Doom Eternal - Xbox One - April 3

Doom 2016 is, in my opinion, the best game in the entire Doom series, so when the follow-up, Doom Eternal, got announced, I was more than a little excited. The fast paced goregasm balls-to-the-wall action that the 2016 reboot offered with the promise of more lore and 4K visuals (okay, technically 1800p on Xbox One X, but close enough for console) had me positively salivating. When Doom Eternal finally dropped, what we got made some changes that has the fanbase kind of divided over which game is better, 2016 or Eternal, but is nonetheless an absolute masterpiece.

The timeline can be more than a little confusing for Doom, but given how much world-building Doom Eternal does, something that the 2016 game started putting some real emphasis on, it's worth mentioning. For the most part, the games' releases are the order in which the timeline takes place minus Doom 3 which is almost certainly a parallel timeline. There's some debate over whether 2016 (and, thus, Doom Eternal) are another separate timeline or connected to the original timeline just 100 years in the future. Given how Doom 64 ends and how Doom 2016 starts, I say that 2016 takes place 100 years after 64, and that's backed up by some of the lore elements explored in Doom eternal. Or you could just disregard the story and massacre demons. Normally story is a core part of the experience in my opinion, but with Doom, I tend to make an exception for folks given how damn satisfying the combat is.

I've seen a lot of folks including close friends of mine say that Doom Eternal is the absolute peak of the series if not the best FPS game ever made. While I don't quite heap that much praise on it, it is an absolutely phenomenal game. The visuals, obviously, are unbelievable on Xbox One X, so I can only imagine how impressive they'd be on max PC settings. The combat, as I've mentioned, is also extraordinarily fun and addicting. It's very different from your standard FPS, though, and that can take some getting used to. There's no aiming down the sights, there's no reloading, there's no crouch, there's no stealth, there's no cover system. You rush forward, guns blazing, chainsaw roaring, and zip from enemy to enemy to finish them off with a glory kills so brutal that some could put Mortal Kombat to shame. That actually brings my only major complaint with the game - the Marauders.

These are new enemies introduced in Eternal. The Marauders definitely introduce some serious challenge to the game, but it's an addition that acts as a detriment to the game in my opinion. Unlike most enemies where the basic strategy is "throw an enormous amount of firepower while avoiding attacks," the Marauder is an extremely defensive enemy. If you're too close, he blasts you with a shotgun. If you're too far, he throws red energy blades at you. If you're at a perfect Goldilocks distance, his eyes will glow green just before he rushes at you for a melee attack. When his eyes are glowing green is the only time you can deal damage (preferably with the Super Shotgun); attacking him any other time will cause him to automatically raise a red energy shield, blocking all damage. Throughout all this, he repeatedly spawns a glowing orange ethereal wolf to attack you. The wolf only takes a couple shots to disperse, but the Marauder will keep respawning it throughout your fight. If it's just you and the Marauder, it's really annoying but doable; if it's you, the Marauder, and other demons, you're in for a fight tougher than most boss battles depending on what demons are there and how many. The biggest problem that I have with the Marauders is that they just break the flow of the gameplay. 95% of the game is frantic, intense, fast paced action, but the Marauder completely negates that, requiring you instead to take a slow and methodical approach of just waiting for an opening before getting off a shot or two. I loved almost all of Doom Eternal, but those Marauders were, in my opinion, distinctly NOT fun at all.

One of the things I love about Doom Eternal is the upgrades and collectibles (including secret unlockable cheat codes that you can activate when replaying a previously cleared mission). Each weapon except the Super Shotgun and BFG-9000 has to weapon mods that can be unlocked, and each of these mods have two or three upgrades that can be unlocked. If you unlock every upgrade for a mod, you can complete a challenge to unlock a "master upgrade" for that mod. Likewise, your suit has five categories each with a handful of upgrades to unlock. Some of these suit upgrades are directly combat related, like faster grenade cooldown or freezing enemies longer with ice grenades, whereas some are more passive upgrades, like a wider area of auto-map fill-in or faster ledge grabbing. There are also upgrades you can get with Sentinel crystals which will let you upgrade your max health, max armor, or max ammo a few times as well as giving a few other bonuses depending on what specific upgrades you choose. Lastly, there are runes to unlock that can change your gameplay experience. You can have three runes active at a time, and they provide upgrades like doing a glory kill from farther away, having a chance to survive a death blow once, etc. All of these various upgrades and options really allow you to mold the game to suit your preferred playstyle in a way that a lot of games don't allow.

Doom Eternal may not technically be perfect in my book, but it's pretty damn close. Take out the Marauders, and it would pretty much be a perfect shooter in my opinion. It's also hard as balls; as a long-time champion of playing games on Bitch Mode because I'm a busy adult with too many other games I want to play, I feel only minimal shame in admitting that I played this game on the lowest difficulty and still got my ass handed to me a few times. Granted, a huge part of that is because I suck at video games (despite how many I play), but this game's overall challenge is legitimately a lot higher than Doom 2016. That's not a bad thing, mind you, but man, it really drives home the hectic insanity of the combat. If you like Doom, shooters in general, or just gore for the sake of gore, you owe it to yourself to play this game. Play it on PC if you're a graphics whore. Play on PS4 or Xbox One if you're a regular gamer. Play it on Switch once it comes out if you're a cool kid like me. Whatever you do, though, play it. It's fantastic.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

MrPopo

by MrPopo Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:51 pm

1. Elite Dangerous - PC
2. Soldier of Fortune - PC
3. Star Wars: TIE Fighter: Defender of the Empire - PC
4. Star Wars: TIE Fighter: Enemies of the Empire - PC
5. Star Wars: X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter: Balance of Power - PC
6. Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance - PC
7. Phoenix Point - PC
8. Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter - PC
9. Descent II - PC
10. Inbento - Switch
11. Ori and the Will of the Wisps - XB1
12. Doom Eternal - PC
13. Serious Sam 2 - PC
14. Black Mesa - PC
15. Descent 3 - PC
16. Darksiders II - PC
17. Resident Evil 3 (2020) - PC

Hot on the heels of last year's Resident Evil 2 remake comes Resident Evil 3's remake. We knew Mr. X was a warmup for the Nemesis chasing Jill through the streets of Raccoon City, and Capcom does not disappoint. Interestingly enough, RE3's remake takes more liberties with the original game to make something that is more tonally consistent and involves less obvious video gameisms in what you need to accomplish. Depending on what you're looking for in a remake this might end up being a good or bad thing for you.

RE3 follows Jill Valentine prior to and after the events of RE2; she's at ground zero in Raccoon City when shit hits the fan. You start in her apartment and this is where the differences first manifest; the very first thing that happens is the Nemesis comes for you. Cue the first of several chase sequences that appear in the game. While Nemesis in the original could follow you from room to room, he still was more of a patrol-based obstacle; at given points in the progression he would show up and cause you problems. Here he shows up at similar story moments, but now you have a much more exciting chase. Sometimes it's a fixed chase with lots of setpieces, other times it's just a way to force you to hustle back through an area you've explored. In the latter we get to see his upgrades compared to Mr. X; the Nemesis can do things like jump over your head and in front of you, or use his tentacle to get you from range. He will constantly be a threat you need to pay attention to until you get to the next safe zone that despawns him. One thing you'll definitely need to use is the new quickdodge (which is also great for getting past zombies).

Now, after your first couple linear segments that are sort of like the walk to the police station in 2 Carlos will show up to save you from the Nemesis. And that's the second noticeable difference from the original. Originally you had a longish progress through the streets segment with puzzle solving and the like before you run into the UBCS team. But when you stop to think about it, why does Raccoon City have a bunch of obtuse gates that need random doodads to open? They had in-universe explanations in 1 and 2; 1 was designed to be a trap house by its builder and 2 was originally an art gallery that again was designed with lots of goofy stuff (and being a single structure means it makes sense for it to have keys). The puzzle elements in 2 drop off once you're out of the police station, with only the chess pieces sticking out as "we have a video game puzzle". With RE3 being confined to the city streets for the bulk of the gameplay the designers decided to just drop that element. You'll still have gates barred by key items, but they are things like cuttable chains, pickable locks, and the door to the next area being gated by whatever your current MacGuffin is. The zombie placement and behavior is still based off of Resident Evil 2's behavior, so you still are incentivized to dodge when you can, so you still have that survival feeling (as opposed to 5 & 6 being kill all the dudes along the path).

This change does mean that the clock tower gets cut (though you still have the boss fight outside it). They also rearranged things so that Carlos is the one who goes to RCPD, rather than Jill. It keeps to the theme of Jill is going to act like a sane person during this outbreak, rather than stumbling into random areas which magically have the weird key items she needs. RCPD is part of the mission of the UBCS was sent in to accomplish, and it occurs right before Jill fights the Nemesis outside the clock tower. From there things progress as you remember, though the worm boss is also cut (again, to keep things focused on the Nemesis, and there is an extra Nemesis fight earlier to make up for it). The game ends with the same pair of Nemesis fights, though this time the rail gun is something Jill picks up and aims directly, which adds some catharsis.

RE3 remake is another fine example of a remake that takes the spirit of the original game but doesn't feel like it needs to slavishly adhere to the letter of the original. The cuts and changes create a tighter, more focused experience and involves less video game logic. But at the same time, the overall feel of the classic titles is maintained; you're just trying to survive, rather than somehow stop a zombie outbreak in a midsized American city. So if you liked the remake of 2 I highly recommend picking up the remake of 3.

One other thing to note; I'm suspecting that the next Resident Evil game is going to be set between 3 and 4, and following the story of Chris and Jill taking down the Umbrella corporation. Unless they decide to remake Code Veronica first.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:33 pm

Nice reviews of doom and RE3make, definitely both games I plan on playing sometime in the near future.

@MrPopo: I would love a code veronica remake, it is the only RE game I have never played and I just dont think I would be able to get into the classic style of RE at this point. I also hope they don't remake 4, after just freshly playing it that game is still a blast all these years later and feels great.

52. Cursed Mountain (wii)

Cursed mountain is a survival horror game that is exclusive to the wii. You play as Eric Simmons, a legendary mountain climber who is on a quest to rescue his younger brother, Frank, who has gotten lost hiking a mountain. The mountain is a holy mountain, and Frank, being the cynical westerner that he is, proceeds to hike the mountain while completely ignoring the ancient rituals required to please the goddess pre-hike. This of course angers the goddess who then sends hordes of ghosts and a few demons to terrorize all the mountainside villages.

By the time Eric arrives all the towns are abandoned and you have to navigate through the abandoned towns, slowly unwrapping the mystery of what happened to the towns people as well as your brother. The story is told through a mix of cutscenes and documents that are found laying around the villages. The story is definitely engaging and the character development takes a nice arc.

Gameplay is on the slow side, but not in a bad way. This is a game about taking your time and exploring and taking in the environments. The environments are a mix between snowy mountains/caves and abandoned villages. Each area has a good number of story bits laying around so you will always be stumbling upon notes that keep you engrossed in the story.

As you progress you also have to fight ghosts, you wield a variety of paranormal attachments, aiming is done with the wiimote and after you shoot them enough times you can freeze them, conduct a ritual on them, which will destroy them and restore a little bit of your health. Rituals are done with various waggle prompts, which mostly work well but once in a while it wont register and you will have to blast the enemies again before performing the ritual.

Cursed mountain is not a game for everyone, it is much slower paced than your average survival horror game but there is a good story here and the combat is generally fun. I discovered this game on a MetalJesusrocks wii hidden gem video and I feel this is definitely a game that fits that description. I never see anyone talking about it, and while it is not the best game in the library, it definitely is a fun experience for fans of the genre, and it is still pretty cheap and can be found for around 10 bucks
Ack

by Ack Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:12 pm

1. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch)(Adventure)
2. Final Fight [Japanese Version] (Switch)(Beat 'Em Up)
3. Ziggurat (PC)(FPS)
4. Magrunner: Dark Pulse (PC)(FPS)
5. The King of Dragons [Japanese](Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)

6. Captain Commando [Japanese](Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
7. Knights of the Round [Japanese](Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
8. The Witcher (PC)(RPG)

9. Tenchi wo Kurau II (Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
10. Dark Sun: Shattered Lands (PC)(RPG)

11. Lichdom: Battlemage (PC)(FPS/RPG Hybrid)
12. Star Wars: Republic Commando (PC)(FPS)

13. DOOM 64 (PC)(FPS)
14. Half Dead 2 (PC)(Adventure)

15. Powered Gear - Strategic Variant Armor Equipment (Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
16. Torchlight II (PC)(RPG)

17. Battle Circuit [Japanese](Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
18. Hard Reset Redux (PC)(FPS)

Battle Circuit

This marked the end of Capcom's run of arcade beat 'em ups, so it is the fitting choice to end the Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle. It's strange that this almost hallucinatory massacre of robots, alien strong men, and one dude with a seriously huge head and a car like Snidley Whiplash in Wacky Races is the final product of a run that really got going with Final Fight, but by the end of things, I think Capcom was just seeing what crazy things they could do. Unlockable powers? You got it. Bizarre plots, bosses, and levels? You got it. A killer plant? Why not? By this point, it was everything but the kitchen sink.

That is both Battle Circuit's strength and weakness. It's ridiculous, it's fun, but it's also so over the top that I just feel lost. Not as in lost in the action, but lost in the insanity of it all, with an end result that has made me less interested on repeated playthroughs.

Battle Circuit is a fantastic game, but it's at its best as a surprise, and by now I've lost a lot of that magic unfortunately.

Still, in terms of design, it's pretty much the peak of how Capcom could push the genre. They got in, they changed, they got out, and the genre pretty much died in this form. What a shame.

Hard Reset Redux

Ok, so this game is an updated release of a game that had only come out a few years before it. You shoot robots, and in the strange cyberpunk world of Hard Reset, you have two guns that can transform into a variety of others, widening your arsenal up to ten depending on how you choose to spend your upgrade points, each with its own unlockable alternate fire mode.

Of those 10 options, I used...2. The basic machine gun and the rocket launcher were all I needed; the shotgun had moments of usefulness, but just moments, while all the other weapons were just weaker rocket launchers for me. That's ok, though, because I didn't just use guns. Hard Reset is big on environmental objects as weapons. See that explosive tank? Guess what you can trigger to blast apart your foes. Got an air conditioning unit? Spark electricity off it to fry some circuits!

The game is at its best when you enter an area full of killing options and go to town, unloading, dodging oncoming enemies, and using the world around you to create deathtraps. It's very well done, especially in the first half. In the second half, the level design gets messier, and while levels always consisted of going from point A to point B, it just feels much more apparent in the latter. That's likely because the second half didn't originally exist in the base game and was added on for the Redux release, and whatever magic went into those earlier levels just didn't feel as present. Not to mention the grey color palette of the first half suddenly seems fantastic compared to the near constant brown of the second.

Hard Reset Redux also suffers from a terrible ending, in that there isn't one. The game just stops. Between levels, you'd often get treated to a comic book-style presentation that, I admit, I really enjoyed. The plot was bananas, but it kept me interested in the flow of events just to see the artwork. After beating the big boss, some guy shows up, tells me "You made it," and the credits roll.

What? That's it?

What I like about this game, I really like. What I don't like, I really don't like. It makes this one hard to pin down for me. For all of the exhilaration of unloading near-infinite bullets into robot faces, there is just as much "you mean I spent 45 minutes just to go back to where I started and open a door?". Your mileage may vary.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:51 pm

The plot was definitely bananas. And that's when you've seen it fully written out in detail, and not just with the brief snippets that you get in the comic book form that if you glance to the side for a second you miss something crucial.

I'm surprised you didn't find any Plasma weapons that struck your fancy. The one tier one upgrade that makes it fan out in a web was fantastic for dealing with hoards of little guys.
Ack

by Ack Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:05 am

Yeah, I hardly used the Plasma guns, in part because the basic machine gun was just so much fun that I stuck to that side of the tree and only started upgrading plasma stuff near the end of the game. I would have been happy cutting most of the remaining guns and just letting me continue improving it, because it was a hell of a lot of fun.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:04 pm

1. Her Story (iOS)
2. Elminage Original (3DS)
3. Legend of Grimrock (iOS)
4. Silent Bomber (PS1)
5. Crash Bandicoot (PS1)
6. Bust-a-Move 2 Arcade Edition (PS1)
7. Transformers Cybertron Adventures (Wii)
8. Squidlit (Switch)
9. Sydney Hunter & The Curse of the Mayan (Switch)
10. Mega Man Legends (PS1)
11. Revenge of the Bird King (Switch)
12. Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King (Switch)

Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King Is a very on-the-nose tribute to The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past by the team that made Rex Rocket, a brilliant, tough as nails metroidvania. Unlike Rex Rocket, however, Blossom Tales is not original enough to be brilliant, and it is very, very easy. If you’ve played, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, you’ve basically played this game. The mechanics are almost identical, which is fine. Blossom Tales mixes things up by throwing enormous hordes of enemies at you, a bit like Gauntlet, and the bosses throw projectiles at you like a bullet-hell shmup, which is very cool. The world is packed with secrets, and the optional sub weapons are actually worth finding since the are drastically more powerful than your sword. Unfortunately, however, the game world, despite its size never “feels” as big as The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Worse, the basic enemies don’t drop anything of value, and there’s no sense of impact when you hit them. Accordingly, there is little reason to engage in battle for most of the game, and as I moved toward the ending, I found myself just running around enemy hordes, rather than engaging them. Finally, the last boss is a bit underwhelming, despite a cool final dungeon; so, the game kind of sputters out at the end.

This isn’t to say I didn’t like Blossom Tales. I did. It looks good, sounds great (the dungeon scores sound like something from a Dario Argento film), and it borrows some pretty spectacular mechanics. It is a solid 7/10 game, and I recommend it to anyone looking to play something like The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, but that doesn’t want to play The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past again.
Last edited by prfsnl_gmr on Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:03 pm

Ack wrote:Yeah, I hardly used the Plasma guns, in part because the basic machine gun was just so much fun that I stuck to that side of the tree and only started upgrading plasma stuff near the end of the game. I would have been happy cutting most of the remaining guns and just letting me continue improving it, because it was a hell of a lot of fun.

I upgrade the Plasma early both because I wanted to try out both, but also because it means I can swap weapons if ammo is ever a problem. And given how much of a video game item hoarder I am being able to double my effective ammo was a no brainer.
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:27 pm

53. Ghostbusters (wii)

This has been on my list of games to play forever, for those who don't know this game acts as kind of a ghostbusters 3. It was written by Dan Akyroid and Harold Ramis (among others) and the entire original cast of ghostbusters does the voice overs for the characters. The result is a well written, funny game, which will definitely please fans of the source material.

You play as a nameless intern, the ghostbusters are thinking of franchising out so you are with them to learn the ropes of ghostbusting, Even though you cannot play as any of the classic busters you are almost always accompanied by one or more of the crew. There are very few sections where you are solo and I definitely liked the interaction between the busters as they are pretty much always bantering about what is going on and the writing perfectly captures each of their personalities.

The graphics of the wii game are done in a more cartoony style than its other releases. The game is exactly the same but given the limitations of the wii they went with a graphical style more akin to the real ghostbusters cartoon, I personally enjoyed it and was glad they went in that direction rather than just give us a watered down version of the ps3/360/PC game.

Gameplay wise this game really captures the feel of being a ghostbuster, you have a lot of different gadgets at your disposal and spend much of your time walking around with your PK reader out looking for hits to track down hiding ghosts, when you find them the battles become pretty fast paced. Just about every different ghost you run into (and there are quite a few) has a different pattern and different weaknesses, so learning the best way to fight each one is really fun. You basically have to wear a ghost down, trap them in your beam, and then lure them into a trap. It feels very authentic and replicates the action in the films nicely. In addition to the ghosts themselves there are also different minions frequently scattered througout the level (ie: posessed books, furniture etc) which can just be blasted without the need for a trap. There are also some pretty huge bosses to fight and they are all really well done and what you would expect to see in a ghostbusters film.

The game on the wii works really well, analog stick moves, wii mote aims and shoots, d-pad changes gadgets, A/B are regular/alt fire, it feels really good. When you do trap a ghost in your beam you have to wait for arrow prompts and swing the wiimote in that direction to slam them around, these prompts were extremely responsive. You can also do all sorts of other things with the beam (move objects, manipulate backgrounds etc) and it all works really well.

Ghostbusters is a really fun game that does its source material justice. If you are a fan of the movies and always wanted a ghostbusters 3 then you really need to play this game, but even if you are not a huge fan this is a solid action/adventure game that stands on its own with fun gameplay and an amusing story.
Return to General Gaming