Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2020

by Sload Soap Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:13 pm

MrPopo wrote:I felt the same way regarding the parry timing; I don't think the issue is with the window size, but rather the window position. Because Star Wars is 90% flynning if you're used to combat styles which aren't super showy your sense of timing will be really off. There's definitely an art to getting those windows right and Respawn just doesn't have the practice that From has.

I 100% disagree with you on the one story beat, though. I was hoping we would get a scene like that at the end of the game, and my only "disappointment" was that it didn't go worse for us.

Yes, that sounds about right. The Souls styled games generally have their parryable moves be ones that either swing from above or jab from the front whereas nearly all the melee characters swing from the sides. Probably why it's paradoxically much easier to deflect blaster fire that it is a giant hammer. Good catch.

I guess my issue with Vader's cameo is that the game was doing fine without any overt inclusions prime canon characters. I've found the Inquisitors a bit meh elsewhere but the Second Sister was pretty compelling here. And when Vader turns up that saps the tension for me (while also undercutting the character building done with Cal, Ceae and Second Sister) and because we know his fate it means I know that I'm not going to be getting into an epic duel with Vader because I won't be allowed to win. I just find it unnecessary really.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:45 pm

Far Cry 5 for PS4. I went with the "canonical" ending FYI.
pook99
64-bit

by pook99 Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:32 am

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
pook99 wrote:4. Pheonix: inspired by bonesnap, I decided to play a random 2600 game that I never played before and this is the game I stumbled on. I'm actually glad I did, it was a very fun romp that is similar in style to space invaders with a few different levels before culminating in a battle with a huge ufo that must be blasted apart before shooting the alien piloting it.

Ha, nice. If you're looking for similar stuff there's Demon Attack and Gorf.

I had Demon attack as a kid, definitely a really good game, I will check gorf out at some point.

I played dragonfire last night which was a game I never heard of but it definitely was a lot of fun.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:49 am

Dragonfire is solid. A little twitchy but still tons of fun. One of the better multi-platform Imagic titles. Feels heavily inspired by The Hobbit, just without the official license.
Note
24-bit

by Note Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:28 pm

1. Streets of Rage 2 (Sega Genesis Mini)

This was not the first game I was planning to beat in 2020, however my girlfriend and I had a weekend with no plans and played a few different co-op games together Saturday afternoon into the evening. She mostly plays new games on Switch, but luckily she also likes beat em ups, so we put on Streets of Rage 2 on the Genesis Mini system she gifted me for Christmas. I hadn't played through this game in about a year, but this is one of my favorites, so I was glad to go through it again.

We played as Axel and Blaze and did pretty well up until about Level 7, where we started to run into some trouble against the waves of enemies on the elevated platform. In one of our previous play throughs, she got a game over in Level 8's elevator, but this time around we both were able to finish it.

I lost a continue while fighting Shiva and accidentally chose Skate instead of Axel, so I finished up the last fight as him. Lol. I was annoyed at myself but hadn't played as Skate in forever, so it was fun messing around with his move set again.

So glad I have my original copy of this game that my father bought for me in 1992. Still one of my favorite games and couch co-op experiences.
elricorico
24-bit

by elricorico Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:31 am

1. NBA Jam (GEN)

I finished NBA Jam on the Genesis a few nights back. I had popped it in to test out my 8bitdo wireless genesis controller a while back and kept chipping away at it a few games at a time when I got the urge. After I had beat each NBA team once, the credits rolled.

I don't imagine many people would show up on this board without having some familiarity with this game in at least one of its forms. It is one of the true arcade classics - fast paced, tight controls, 90s attitude, over the top action. It holds up great as a quick pick-up-and-play game.

Difficulty takes a nosedive once you learn a few spots where you can(practically) score at will. It then becomes a game of trying to make enough defensive plays to counter the odd mistake you make on offense. Games go by quick, taking about 15 minutes but feeling like even less. I split my games playing as Charlotte and as Chicago.

If anyone hasn't given NBA Jam a try then they certainly should. Even if you aren't much into basketball(like me) it can still be a lot of fun.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:57 am

Beat Far Cry: New Dawn for PS4. Like FC5, I still have a few things to polish off.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:28 am

elricorico wrote:1. NBA Jam (GEN)

I finished NBA Jam on the Genesis a few nights back. I had popped it in to test out my 8bitdo wireless genesis controller a while back and kept chipping away at it a few games at a time when I got the urge. After I had beat each NBA team once, the credits rolled.

I don't imagine many people would show up on this board without having some familiarity with this game in at least one of its forms. It is one of the true arcade classics - fast paced, tight controls, 90s attitude, over the top action. It holds up great as a quick pick-up-and-play game.

Difficulty takes a nosedive once you learn a few spots where you can(practically) score at will. It then becomes a game of trying to make enough defensive plays to counter the odd mistake you make on offense. Games go by quick, taking about 15 minutes but feeling like even less. I split my games playing as Charlotte and as Chicago.

If anyone hasn't given NBA Jam a try then they certainly should. Even if you aren't much into basketball(like me) it can still be a lot of fun.

Awesome post. Such a good games. Also...the Charlotte Hornets rule.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:27 pm

1. Her Story (iOS)
2. Elminage Original (3DS)

Elminage Original is a well-balanced Wizardry clone (i.e., a first-person, grid-based dungeon crawler with turn-based combat) by Starfish SD (which, before developing Elminage, developed a few Japanese Wizardry games). Although there are now several games in the Elminage series, Elminage Original is only one of two to receive an English translation, and it is the only one of those two released on handhelds. (The other game, Elminage Gothic, is only available on PC.)

I recognize that Elminage Original is not a perfect game. The dungeon design, despite a few inspired locations, is mostly just OK. The menus are cumbersome; it has a really steep learning curve; mimic chests Literally crash the game; some of the mechanics, even after 75 hours of play, remain inscrutable; the enemies are represented by static portraits; etc. Nonetheless, I loved it, and I really couldn’t put it down. The challenge certainly helped. While the end game was incredibly easy - I downed the final boss before he had a chance to attack - the beginning was rough. (My party was wiped by a team of ghosts and bandits a few steps into the first dungeon.). Moreover, the game never entirely lost it’s air of danger, and sprinting the wrong trap on a chest or getting surprised by the wrong set of enemies meant death even when the game was at its easiest. The inscrutable mechanics and lack of direction also helped. After the outstanding “training” dungeon, I explored the rest of the game’s massive dungeons at my own pace, and while some of the game’s mechanics are still mysterious to me (and while I should probably read the game’s manual at some point), it was interesting to figure them out for myself. Finally, diving into dungeons; fighting monsters in quickly-paced, turn-based battles; gathering loot until I’m out of life, magic, or space; running back to the service to turn in my treasures; tuning my team and my team’s equipment; before diving back into the dungeons was simply fun and addictive. Despite its difficulty, the game respects the player’s time, and it was never too bad to pick up where I left off if my party got wiped out. The game also features an auto-map, which really helped me to navigate the dungeons (and compelled me to cover every inch of the game map Picdun-style).

From what I’ve read online, Elminage Original REALLY picks up in the post game, where you have the opportunity to fight deadlier enemies and where you really have to exploit the game’s mechanics to kill ”god” bosses with tens of thousands of HP. Since the last boss was such a pushover, I’m looking forward to trying that out, fulfilling a few more quests, hunting a few more rare monsters and pieces of equipment, etc., and I’ll definitely be spending a little more time with the game. In short, I loved this deeply flawed, but nonetheless really great game, and I really can’t recommend it highly enough.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:20 pm

Nice work!!!
Return to General Gaming