85. Halo 4 - PC
86. Breath of Fire 2 - SNES
87. Typing of the Dead - DC
88. Cyberpunk 2077 - PC
89. Popful Mail - Sega CD
90. Breath of Fire 3 - PSP
91. Men of Valor - PC
92. Yoshi's Crafted World - Switch

Last game of the year. Yoshi's Crafted World is a follow up to Yoshi's Wooly World; I haven't played that one yet and normally wouldn't have started this one, but I need a game to play while outside a few times when I wanted to get out of the house to get out of the way of my cleaning service in the before time. I got about halfway through it, so I figured I could knock it out today to get one more game under my belt.

Crafted World is a platformer whose main gimmick is that the art style is as if everything was constructed at arts & crafts day at school. Everything is constructed of a bunch of supplies a child might have, like construction paper, corrugated cardboard, and straws. It's very well executed overall, and they take advantage of it to have a wide variety of levels with a wide variety of individual level gimmicks. This is definitely the strongest part of the game.

On the weaker side, the game is incredibly easy to just get through. You get a lot of health, plus you have costumes you can wear that give you extra hits (and are fully regenerated at checkpoints). If you're just looking to beat a level you have nothing to worry about. Where the difficulty comes in is in the massive collect-a-thon nature of the game. Now, you need to do some of it in order to progress; each world is gated behind you having collected so many flowers. But you'll be able to hit those just by playing the levels normally with a bit of normal curiosity. To 100% the game you need to go through every nook and cranny, then do the reverse levels and all the scavenger hunts. And in order to get everything you have to do a lot of shooting at fore and background elements for hidden red coins and flowers. It starts off neat, but quickly gets incredibly tiresome.

And that's the most unfortunate thing about the game; it ends up being far too long for what it is. I'd say it's a good game to get for a younger child; there is so much to do that it'll keep them busy for a long time. Or if you're the type who enjoys pixel hunts. If you're just looking for a solid platformer there are much better options; it's too easy to be interesting.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
MrPopo

Re: Games Beaten 2020

Post by MrPopo »

Year in review time! This year I finished 92 games, which is the best I've done since I moved to California. The move itself was disruptive, but at this point I think I'm finally fully settled in. I also noticed this was the year with the least number of new games added; I only got 46 new games compared to in the 50s in the prior years. This was likely due to just not as many releases hitting; with the console generation switch impending plus Covid pushing back schedules we have a recipe for fewer games released. But I don't think that affected my total count; I think it was more the constant WFH meaning that I could transition much faster from work to gaming. All that time added up over the course of a year.

Let's look at the platform breakdown:

Arcade: 1
DC: 2
Genesis: 1
GG: 1
N64: 2
NES: 1
PC: 53
PS2: 1
PS3: 2
PS4: 7
PS5: 2
PSP: 1
Sega CD: 1
SNES: 5
Switch: 9
XB1: 1

As usual, PC takes up the majority, though it was just a little over half. I ended up hitting up a wide variety of other platforms this year, finally knocking off several games I'd had an open save file on or had made real attempts on (and not just games that were new for me to start). I'm starting to reach the point where I'm going to start knocking consoles off as complete; the Game Boy and Game Gear are already there (I'm not counting the PS5 since that's active).

Now let's turn to the genre breakdown (with various fuzzy categories as needed).

Action: 4
Action Adventure: 3
Edutainment: 1
FPS: 20
Metroidvania: 3
Platformer: 6
Puzzle: 4
Racing: 2
RPG: 20
RTS: 8
Simulation: 9
Soulslike: 2
Sports: 1
Survival Horror: 1
Third Person Shooter: 1
Turn Based Strategy: 3
Visual Novel: 2

FPS and RPG, while the two most common genres, are still less than half the total. Considering that all but one of those RPGs was a fresh start I'm quite pleased with my progress. Of note is the fact I busted out the joystick this year and knocked out several space sim games. Some notes on how I categorize; the two VN games are games where the VN portion is the bulk of the gameplay and action vs. action adventure is mostly a measure of is it just you killing dudes or is there also an exploration component a la Zelda? I'm actually surprised I got as much RTS time as I did; the C&C remaster plus Iron Harvest both releasing this year gave me a lot of those to play.

I noticed that as the year started winding down I started doing calculus on what to play to see what I could fit in before the end of the year. Now that the year is over it's back to seeing what really grabs me, as I got time on my hands.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Games Beaten in 2020 - 40
* denotes a replay

January (1 Game Beaten)
1. Pokemon Sun - 3DS - January 14*

February (2 Games Beaten)
2. Star Wars: Jedi - Fallen Order - Xbox One - February 15
3. Pokemon: Let's Go, Eevee! - Switch - February 29*

March (10 Games Beaten)
4. Pokemon Shield - Switch - March 1*
5. Doom [1993] - Switch - March 6*
6. SD Gundam G Generation Cross Rays - PS4 - March 6
7. Lego DC Super Villains - Switch - March 19
8. Doom II: Hell on Earth - Switch - March 19
9. Doom 3 - Switch - March 20
10. Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil - Switch - March 22
11. Doom 3: The Lost Mission - Switch - March 23
12. Doom 64 - Switch - March 26
13. Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth - Nintendo 64 - March 28

April (7 Games Beaten)
14. Wolfenstein 3D - Steam - April 1
15. Doom Eternal - Xbox One - April 3
16. Age of Empires (Definitive Edition) - Steam - April 4
17. Age of Empires: Rise of Rome (Definitive Edition) - Steam - April 5
18. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - Switch - April 9
19. Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War - SNES - April 18
20. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX - Switch - April 20

Sometime in the Dark Ages of My Life Between May and October in No Particular Order (6 Games Beaten)
21. Battlefield 3 - Xbox 360 - July 27
22. Star Wars Squadrons - Xbox One - October 4
23. The Last of Waifus - Steam - October 11
24. Phantom Doctrine - Switch - ???
25. The Outer Worlds - PlayStation 4 - September 30
26. Resident Evil 3 - PlayStation 4 - October 14

November (4 Games Beaten)
27. Call of Duty: Black Ops - Cold War - PlayStation 5 - November 15
28. Astro's Playroom - PlayStation 5 - November 15
29. Gears 5 - Xbox One - November 19
30. Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity - Switch - November 29

December (10 Games Beaten)
31. Spider-Man - PlayStation 5 - December 6
32. Spider-Man: Miles Morales - PlayStation 5 - December 8
33. Spider-Man: Miles Morales - PlayStation 5 - December 9*
34. Simp Slayer Simulator 2K20 - Steam - December 11
35. Gears Tactics - Series X - December 13
36. Blood and Bacon - Steam - December 14
37. Gears 5 - Hivebusters DLC - Xbox One - December 15
38. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Cindered Shadows (DLC) - Switch - December 17
39. Maneater - PlayStation 5 - December 28
40. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch - December 31*

37. Gears 5 - Hivebusters DLC - Xbox One - December 15

Hivebusters is a short story-based DLC for Gears 5 that tells the story of Scorpio Squad, a secret squad with the also secret Hivebuster program. Their mission is to destroy a Swarm hive underneath a fairly remote island. Success could mean saving not only the people of the island but Sera itself.

Let's start with the bad parts of Hivebusters to get it out of the way because I really did enjoy this DLC, and I want to end the review on a positive note. First and foremost, it's too expensive. If you have Game Pass, you're good to go, and if you buy Gears 5 as the Game of the Year edition, it's included, so you're solid there. If you've had Gears 5 since well before this DLC, though, you've got to cough up $20 for it, and that brings me to my second complaint; it's too short. Hivebusters is AWESOME, but it's only about three hours long, and I can't help but feel like $20 is too steep for that little content. The characters you play as are fantastic, and a bit more content could have really fleshed out who they are and their motivations and their relationships with one another really well not to mention actually justifying the $20 cost of entry. Granted, Gears 5 itself isn't a terribly long game, but even so, you got a roughly twelve hour campaign plus a handful of different multiplayer modes for $60 vs a three hour campaign here for $20. It's just a bit steep.

With that said, while there isn't a lot of content in terms of how long the campaign lasts, what content the DLC does give you is truly fantastic. It may not feature Del or JD or Marcus, but it's definitely pure Gears of War, and the characters that do feature in the game are written and acted beautifully. I know it's very unlikely to happen for Gears 5, but I'd love to see more of them maybe in Gears 6 or as a Gears 6 DLC. Not only does Hivebusters star characters for you to get to know, but it also sheds some light on a little of the politics within the COG beyond Chairman Prescott and First Minister Jinn. For someone who loves not only the action that Gears of War provides but also the lore and world that the series has built, this was a major selling point for me.

Gears 5: Hivebusters is an absolute must play if you have Game Pass since it's included, and if you have or are planning to get the GOTY edition of Gears 5, then obviously, you need to play it when you finish the main Gears 5 story. If you have Gears 5 normally, though, and would need to buy the DLC separately like I did, it's a tougher sell. It's definitely a fun experience, and if you're a big Gears fan like I am, then it's definitely worth the money. If you're just an average fan of the series but not super into, though, that $20 asking price is definitely kind of high for how short it is. Maybe throw it on a wishlist and wait for it to go on sale. If you do end up playing it, though, it's a hell of a good time.

38. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Cindered Shadows (DLC) - Switch - December 17

I got lazy, so I didn't write a review for this. It's Fire Emblem, so just pretend I wrote three paragraphs about it's perfect and flawless because it basically is.

39. Maneater - PlayStation 5 - December 28

This right here, folks, is my game of the year. I don't mean that I think it's the best game I've played all year; it's certainly not. What I mean is that this is my favorite game release of 2020. What you may not know is that I am OBSESSED with sharks. I have a shark onesie and a shark hat. I have two pairs of shark socks as well as a shark sticker on my car. I have two shark plushies including one designed by the amazing Tuesday Pope (check out her website and give her money). I have a Shark Week Bluray (a week which is far holier to me than the actual Holy Week), a plaster cast of a shark jaw in one of my bathrooms, and I even have an embalmed shark in a little jar that my ex gave me, and considering that she broke my heart not once but twice, the fact that I still have that tells you how much I love sharks. When I saw that there was a legit action RPG that lets you play as a shark, holy crap, count me in.

The premise of the game is that you play as a bull shark pup that was cut from its mother's stomach by a Cajun shark hunter named Scaly Pete. There's a shark fact for you - most sharks give live birth rather than laying eggs as is the norm for other fish. Anyway, the shark pup bites off Scaly Pete's hand but not before he manages to gives it some recognizable scars. From there, the game's story consists of growing your shark in preparation for your inevitable showdown with Scaly Pete. There are a number of other aquatic wildlife for you to consume from the tame and passive grouper and turtles to the aggressive alligator and mako shark. It also include a TON of awesome references and allusions. Also Jerry from Rick and Morty is the narrarator.

As you eat other creatures, you'll gather four resources - fat, protein, minerals, and mutagen. Each of these resources are used to upgrade certain traits you'll gain as you play through the game. You can customize your shark's jaws, head, body, fins, and tail as well as giving it up to three additional traits which the game calls "organ" evolution. Each component can be upgraded five times, and maxing out everything will take a LOT of resources. Fortunately, there's added incentive; not only do you need these resources to upgrade your shark, but that's also how you level up. The more resources you gather from a kill, the more experience you get. The level cap is 30, and that will take you from Pup to Teen to Adult to Elder to Mega, each stage up making your shark bigger and bulkier in a fight. Granted, being a shark fanatic, I played the HELL out of this game and was at max level at about the halfway point in the game. I was also doing literally EVERYTHING in a region before moving on to the next of the seven regions in the game, so if you actually just play through the game at a normal pace, you probably would end up hitting max level right around the end.

To give the game some padding, rather than just moving from main mission to main mission, there's a check list of things you have to do to unlock the next story mission. Hit a certain level, do a certain number of each type of side mission, get that region's completion level to a certain percent, get your Infamy to a certain rank, etc. Infamy is a mechanic that only comes into play when you eat humans. When you eat three or four people, shark hunters start to spawn. The more shark hunter boats you destroy, the higher your Infamy meter rises. When the meter is full, you hit the next Infamy level, and a boss spawns. Defeat that hunter boss, and you can start moving to the next Infamy rank. Obviously each rank is more difficult than the last - you go from having bayou rednecks in airboats chase you to having US Coast Guard command ships chase you - but each of the ten bosses you defeat unlocks a new evolution, so there's some incentive there. Eating people is also a great way to rack up protein.

Naturally, I have on the most rose tinted of glasses when it comes to this game and could sing its praises endlessly, but I do want to address some of the negatives here because this game is far from perfect. For starters, it's pretty buggy. Thankfully these are more Bethesda bugs with wonky AI movement and fish spawning inside the hull of a boat raised ten feet out of the water rather than Cyberpunk 2077 bugs where the game literally doesn't work in places. Not once did I ever experience a bug that forced me to reload a previous save, and the only time it crashed the system was when I was switching from Maneater to YouTube, so I suspect that's a PS5 issues more than a Maneater issue. The closest thing to a major bug I got was when an Infamy rank boss spawned in, and after the cut scene, my camera was bizarrely inside my shark's mouth and was totally unresponsive. I could still move around and attack, but the camera was always facing the same direction, and I could only see what was in from of me if I faced the right way and opened my shark's mouth. As soon as I died and respawned, everything was as it should be, and that was the only instance in nearly 20 hours' worth of gameplay that anything like that happened. That's really the only issue, though. Sure, it doesn't look super impressive even on PS5 (the devs claim that ray tracing support is coming in a future update), but the MSRP is only $40, and doesn't look bad by any means. The story isn't the most enthralling, but you play as a shark; there's only so much story that would really make sense, and I dig the "shark vs fishermen" vibe it's got going. The biggest downside is the controls. The controls are definitely not bad, but they do take some getting used to. Controlling the shark feels a bit stiff at first, and there's no functioning lock-on mechanic to have your camera follow a selected enemy. You can click a control stick to have your camera snap to an aggressive foe, but it's just a snap-to function; it doesn't actually lock the camera on. That can make it pretty tough to keep track of your enemies, especially when you're facing multiple foes at once or a fast and nimble foe like a barracuda.

Maneater is a hard game for me to score. For me personally, it's an easy 10 out of 10, Game of the Century, pack your bags and go home because Tripwire Interactive won video games. Objectively, though, it's definitely a very good game, but it's not a masterpiece, and it's probably not going to knock anyone's socks off. Except for mine. I think my socks ended up in the next county over. It's got a lot of (thankfully all minor) bugs, the controls are a bit clunky and don't feel great, the story isn't going to win a Booker Prize. It is, however, an extremely creative game in which the developers clearly thought outside the box to provide an experience that breaks from the norm. It may not be a AAA Game of the Year contender, but I absolutely and whole heartedly recommend it to anyone with a current or last gen platform.

40. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch - December 31*
Last edited by ElkinFencer10 on Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

MY END OF YEAR ROUND UP! 2020 was a rough year (obviously). While everyone else was gaming MORE than usual with stay-at-home orders and whatnot, I ended up gaming a lot less between visiting my girlfriend, helping my girlfriend move in with me and get settled, and then being miserably depressed and legitimately suicidal after she ripped out my heart and put it into a woodchipper. So my numbers are like a quarter of what they normally are, but whatever. It is what it is.

3DS - 1
SNES - 1
N64 - 1
Switch - 15
PS4 - 3
PS5 - 6
Xbox 360 - 1
Xbox One - 5
Xbox Series X - 1
PC - 6

Total - 40. Pathetic.

EDIT - forgot one!
Last edited by ElkinFencer10 on Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

elricorico
32-bit

Post by elricorico »

1. NBA Jam (GEN)
2. Astro Bot Rescue Mission (PSVR)
3. Bastion (PS4)
4. Octopath Traveler (NS)
5. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS4)
6. Final Fantasy Adventure (NS)
7. LEGO: The Ninjago Movie Game (PS4)
8. Captain Commando (PS2)
9. Thumper (PSVR)
10. Eco Fighters (PS2)
11. Ys:Memories of Celceta (PS4)
12. Super Mario 64 (NS)
13. Diablo 3 (PS3/PS4)

14. Chasm (PSV)

I beat Chasm on the PlayStation Vita TV tonight. This was a game that I probably never would have played, but I won a copy in a Discord draw, and the first time I gave it a try it kinda got me hooked.

This is a metroidvania with a little bit of randomization thrown in so each playthrough has a bit of a different map. It has a classic dungeons and dragons type setting, which some may find played out, but I tend to like it. The pixel art is pleasant, not over the top complicated but not so retro styled that it is basic. You play through a handful of connected maps finding missing villagers and a bunch of artifacts that allow you to access new areas. There's plenty of backtracking, but there are enough shortcuts to make it reasonable. You battle a variety of creatures,most of which have pretty straightforward patterns to learn. Bosses can be tough, but there are enough healing items available to make them all beatable with a few tries. For the last boss I just bought as many potions as I could - and I needed every one of them.

I did find that this port stuttered from time to time. Music was fairly simple and the ending was a little on the simple side. Controls felt tight and true for the most part, though I did find the combination of double jump, wall jump and gliding all together sometime seemed to act unpredictability. It's possible I just never really figured it out though.

I enjoyed this game, it was a pleasant surprise. Not the best of the style, but certainly worth a go if you like them.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

It's that time again. My (pitiful in comparison) yearly rundown.

* Ziggurat for PS4 - Easy Mode as Kraz (FPS/Roguelike RPG)
* Far Cry 5 for PS4 - Canonical Ending (FPS)
* Far Cry: New Dawn for PS4 (FPS)
* The Birdcage 2 for Android (Puzzle)
* Undead Horde for PS4 (Action-RPG)
* King of Dragons for PS4 (via Capcom Beat 'em Up Bundle) - played as Wizard (Beat 'em Up)
* QUBE for PS4 (Puzzle)
* Streets of Red: Devil's Dare Deluxe for PS4 - on Casual (Beat 'em Up)
* ChromaGun for PS4 (Puzzle)
* Borderlands 3: Moxxi's Heist of the Handsome Jackpot (DLC) for PS4 - Normal Mode as Zane (FPS/RPG)
* Superliminal for PS4 (Puzzle)
* Shantae and the Seven Sirens for PS4 - Normal Mode (Metroidvania)
* Borderlands 3: Guns, Love and Tentacles (DLC) for PS4 - Normal Mode as Zane, Mayhem off (FPS/RPG)
* Borderlands 3: Bounty of Blood (DLC) for PS4 - Normal Mode as Zane, Mayhem off (FPS/RPG)
* Borderlands 3: Psycho Krieg and the Fantastic Fustercluck (DLC) for PS4 - Normal Mode as Zane, Mayhem 10 (FPS/RPG)
* Diet GoGo for Arcade (via MAME4Droid) - Default difficulty (Single-Screen Platformer)
* Nightmare in the Dark for NeoGeo (via Retroarch - Final Burn Neo core) - Default difficulty, Free Play on (Single-Screen Platformer)
* Katamari Damacy Rerole for PS4 ("Third-Person Puzzle-Action")

Honorable Mentions:
* 1 playthrough of Coming Out on Top for PC - No relationship ending, Mark visits Ian in South America (obtained regardless of romantic route taken, so long as Mark has $800 and Mark & Ian's friendship affinity is high enough). Did go out with Brofinder date Terry.
* 1 playthrough of Dead Pixels 2: Straight to Video beta.
* Getting the Platinum Trophy in Metagal for PS4/Vita
Ack

Post by Ack »

I beat 92 games over 2020. It was a rough year, but at least my backlog of titles is a lot smaller now. Here are my stats:

THE COMPLETE LIST
1. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch)(Action Adventure)
2. Final Fight [Japanese Version] (Switch)(Beat 'Em Up)
3. Ziggurat (PC)(FPS)
4. Magrunner: Dark Pulse (PC)(FPS)
5. The King of Dragons [Japanese](Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)

6. Captain Commando [Japanese](Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
7. Knights of the Round [Japanese](Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
8. The Witcher (PC)(RPG)

9. Tenchi wo Kurau II (Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
10. Dark Sun: Shattered Lands (PC)(RPG)

11. Lichdom: Battlemage (PC)(FPS/RPG Hybrid)
12. Star Wars: Republic Commando (PC)(FPS)

13. DOOM 64 (PC)(FPS)
14. Half Dead 2 (PC)(Adventure)

15. Powered Gear - Strategic Variant Armor Equipment (Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
16. Torchlight II (PC)(RPG)

17. Battle Circuit [Japanese](Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
18. Hard Reset Redux (PC)(FPS)

19. The Stanley Parable (PC)(Walking Sim)
20. Waking Mars (PC)(Adventure)
21. Requiem: Avenging Angel (PC)(FPS)

22. Night Slashers (Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
23. Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD (PC)(Action Adventure)

24. Strikers 1945 (Arcade)(SHMUP)
25. SiN Episodes: Emergence (PC)(FPS)
26. Crysis Warhead (PC)(FPS)

27. Metro 2033 (PC)(FPS)
28. Good Job! (Switch)(Puzzle)
29. Blasphemous (Switch)(Action Adventure)

30. Two Worlds: Epic Edition (PC)(RPG)
31. Chex Quest HD (PC)(FPS)

32. NecroVision: Lost Company (PC)(FPS)
33. Icewind Dale (PC)(RPG)

34. Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter (PC)(RPG)
35. Icewind Dale: Trials of the Luremaster (PC)(RPG)

36. Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession (PC)(RPG)
37. Singularity (PC)(FPS)
38. The Witcher 2 (PC)(RPG)
39. Still Life 2 (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)
40. Myst IV: Revelation (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)
41. Gato Roboto (Switch)(Action Adventure)
42. Painkiller: Overdose (PC)(FPS)

43. Battle Realms (PC)(RTS)
44. Battle Realms: Winter of the Wolf (PC)(RTS)
45. Terminator: Resistance (PC)(FPS)
46. Picross S (Switch)(Puzzle)
47. The Witcher 3 (PC)(RPG)
48. Dragon Quest (Switch)(RPG)

49. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)(Action Adventure)
50. Castlevania: The Adventure (Switch)(Platformer)

51. Kid Dracula (Switch)(Platformer)
52. Castlevania (Switch)(Platformer)
53. Akumajō Dracula (Switch)(Platformer)

54. Akumajō Dracula [Castlevania IV](Switch)(Platformer)
55. The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone (PC)(RPG)
56. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (Switch)(Platformer)

57. Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge (Switch)(Platformer)
58. The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine (PC)(RPG)

59. The Darkness II (PC)(FPS)
60. MOTHERGUNSHIP (PC)(FPS)
61. SNK vs. Capcom: Card Fighter's Clash - SNK Version (NGPC)(Card Game)

62. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (PC)(RPG)
63. STRAFE (PC)(FPS)
64. Shadow Warrior [2013] (PC)(FPS)
65. Shanghai Mini (NGPC)(Puzzle)

66. Shadowrun: Hong Kong (PC)(RPG)
67. Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Shadows of Hong Kong (PC)(RPG)

68. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords (PC)(RPG)
69. Call of Cthulhu: Shadow of the Comet - The Lovecraft Museum (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)
70. The Mummy Demastered (Switch)(Action Adventure)

71. Just Cause 2 (PC)(Action Adventure)
72. Prey (PC)(FPS)
73. Prey: Mooncrash (PC)(FPS)
74. The Signal From Tölva (PC)(FPS)

75. Death Rally (PC)(Racing)
76. Bastion (PC)(RPG)

77. Cosmic Star Heroine (PC)(RPG)
78. Ultimate DOOM (PC)(FPS)

79. DOOM II: Hell on Earth (PC)(FPS)
80. DOOM II: No Rest for the Living (PC)(FPS)
81. DOOM 3: The Lost Mission (PC)(FPS)
82. DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil (PC)(FPS)

83. DOOM 3 (PC)(FPS)
84. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PC)(RPG)
85. DOOM: SIGIL (PC)(FPS)
86. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim – Dragonborn (PC)(RPG)
87. Final DOOM - TNT: Evilution (PC)(FPS)
88. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dawnguard (PC)(RPG)
89. Helltaker (PC)(Puzzle)
90. Elderborn (PC)(Action Adventure)

91. The Haunted Island, a Frog Detective Game (PC)(Adventure)
92. Spirits of Xanadu (PC)(FPS)

I put that in spoilers due to the length. All entries link back to my thoughts on them.

SYSTEM BREAKDOWN

Arcade: 8 (all done on Nintendo Switch)
NGPC: 2
Nintendo Switch: 16 (+8 for Arcade ports, for a total of 24)
PC: 66

Yeah, no surprises here. I fully expected my list would be dominated by PC games, and with them making up 71.7% of all games I beat, it's safe to say that I am still a PC gamer.

GENRE BREAKDOWN

Action Adventure: 8
Adventure: 3
Beat 'Em Up: 8
Card Game: 1
FPS: 30
FPS/RPG Hybrid: 1
Platformer: 7
Point and Click Adventure: 3
Puzzle: 4
Racing: 1
RPG: 22
RTS: 2
SHMUP: 1
Walking Sim: 1

As is the usual with my tastes, FPS and RPGs heavily dominated the genres. From then on, it's a smattering of genres. However, due to length, I consider 2020 to have been dominated by RPGs moreso than FPS, mainly because of the length of many of the RPGs that I played. Also, series groupings and bundles played a large part of why I have certain genres in inflated numbers. I'll get into that in just a moment, but safe to say, two of my favorite genres topped my list yet again, while I checked out a mix of other titles for fun and to clear out my backlog. My Steam and GOG accounts are looking a lot cleaner as far as I'm concerned these days.

SERIES GROUPINGS/BUNDLES

I mentioned that several series or bundles made for large portions of my numbers. Here we look into those:

Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle: 7
Castlevania: 7
DOOM: 9
Dungeons & Dragons: 5
Elder Scrolls: 4
Witcher series: 5

Yeah, I played a LOT of DOOM games this year, yet primarily stuck to 1990s and 2000s campaigns for the series. I'm not done yet either; I still have plans to beat Plutonia Experiment and have DOOM Eternal burning a hole on my Steam account. As for the Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle and Castlevania games, these were collections on the Switch. In many cases, I checked out both the Japanese and American releases so I could compare. I need to go back to the Castlevania Collection at some point and check more of them out.

The major RPG series that I dug into account for more than half of all RPGs that I played.

The Elder Scrolls selection is made up of two games as well as the two expansions for one of those games. This brings my grand total of Elder Scrolls games completed to...2. I've now tackled the base games and expansions for both Morrowind and Skyrim. At some point, I need to get back around to stuff like Arena, Daggerfall, and even spinoffs like Redguard. Conversely, I'm now done with the Witcher series in its entirety, as I beat all three main games as well as the last game's expansions this year. Truly, I'm pretty Witchered out.

As for the Dungeons & Dragons games, here's a very diverse set of rules and styles. The 5 count here is spread across three games in three very different settings - Forgotten Realms, Dark Sun, and Ravenholm. Ravenholm: Strahd's Possession is much more the traditional real time dungeon crawler but with a horror element that sets it apart from Dark Sun: Shattered Lands and Icewind Dale. The Dark Sun games play like early precursors to what Black Isle would do later with the likes of Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale, though BI did a lot of refinement. Funny enough, despite being spread across nearly a decade of releases, all of these feature 2nd Edition Dungeons & Dragons rule sets, adapted to fit their style. The only game on here that uses anything like 3rd Edition is actually a Star Wars game which wasn't included in the count, and that was a modified variation of the d20 ruleset which was popular at the time. The d20 tabletop Star Wars game of the era plays the same way.

It's worth noting that Star Wars, Shadowrun, Prey, The Legend of Zelda, and Battle Realms all received a couple of entries, either because I played a couple of games in the series or checked out expansions/alternate campaigns for them.

TAKEAWAYS

2020 was a long year, but not a bad one as far as my gaming was concerned. I made a lot of progress with multiple major series, and I'm quite proud of my work tackling a variety of RPGs. Shadowrun, D&D, Witcher, Elder Scrolls as well as titles like Two Worlds, Torchlight 2, and Dragon Quest gave me a broad look at the genre and its offerings. It was a nice mixture of games, mostly in the "Western" style heavily borrowed from table top. While I have beaten nearly all the JRPGs from my preferred console era, getting through numerous counterparts and major series that have come about since then is a treat.

I'm curious what 2021 will end up looking like. Will I hit up more RPGs again? Maybe. I still own quite a few, so it's a definite possibility. I don't have a particular genre goal in mind, so we'll just have to wait and see what trends develop.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

1. Streets of Rage 2 (GEN)*
2. The Ninja Warriors (SNES) [3x]
3. TMNT IV: Turtles in Time (SNES)*
4. Golden Axe (GEN) [3x]*
5. Beyond Oasis (GEN)
6. Super Double Dragon (SNES)*
7. Shenmue II (DC)
8. Shining Force 2 (GEN)*
9. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (SNES)
10. ActRaiser (SNES)
11. OutRun (GEN)*
12. X-Men 2: Clone Wars (GEN)
13. Captain Commando (SNES)
14. The Pirates of Dark Water (SNES)
15. Final Fight (SNES)
16. Gradius III (SNES)
17. Super R-Type (SNES)
18. U.N. Squadron (SNES)
19. Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
20. Arrow Flash (GEN)
21. Forgotten Worlds (GEN)
22. Contra III: The Alien Wars (SNES)
23. Wonder Boy in Monster World (GEN)
24. Resident Evil 6 (360)
25. Skies of Arcadia (DC)
26. Streets of Rage 4 (Switch)
27. Star Fox 64 (N64)*
28. Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers (SNES)*
29. Perfect Dark (N64)
30. Resident Evil 2 (PS1)
31. Metal Slug X (PS1)*
32. Left 4 Dead 2 (360)*
33. Yu Yu Hakusho - Makyou Toitsusen (GEN)
34. Left 4 Dead (360)*
35. Metal Slug 3 (PS2)
36. Metal Slug 4 (PS2)
37. Metal Slug 5 (PS2)
38. Time Crisis (PS1)*

39. Time Crisis II (PS2)*

A bit late, but I have one more game that I completed in 2020 that I want to review!

As mentioned earlier, I grew up playing Time Crisis on the PS1 and it was a blast having the game and the GunCon peripheral to enjoy the lightgun experience at home. In the years to follow, I got the PS2 late and missed out on Time Crisis II's release. About two years ago, I decided to track down the second game and scored a copy on eBay. The seller initially sent me the the game and GunCon 2, but a wire was missing and I couldn't hook it up to the system. Luckily, the seller still had the wire and sent it to me separately -- crisis averted.

The graphics in the game look great, and is a big step up from the original game in the series and the arcade version that the title was ported from. The gameplay is also very similar to the first game, however there are certain sequences that ramp up the action in comparison to the original title. An example comes late in the first level, when you and your partner are swerving around in a speed boat. All the movement makes these sections challenging, but it doesn't feel overwhelming or cheap. I found the challenge to be fair as well, and it took me some time to get the levels down. Another addition is that you can find a few different more powerful weapons throughout, which help you defeat bigger vehicles or take down enemies a bit quicker than usual. I think Namco did a nice job building on the first title, keeping the gameplay similar, and adding enough to make improvements.

One area that was botched was the co-op experience. There's a split screen mode, a dual gun mode which a lot of people use to play multiplayer instead, or a network mode which requires a second setup to link two systems. Neither of these options are ideal, and I think this is a major mistake on the developer's part. They really should have got the co-op experience correct, as none of these options are up to par, IMO.

I also want to mention the GunCon 2. This peripheral just doesn't do it for me. The original GunCon is more accurate and is slightly larger which feels much better in hand. Also, the button placement on the original GunCon is great, and the buttons on the follow up peripheral feel a little out of place to me. I'm a bit disappointed in the GunCon 2 and am glad that the original peripheral works with Time Crisis II, as that is my preferred method of playing the game. However, it is nice to have an extra PS2 lightgun for co-op games.

Overall, even with the multiplayer issues, I think this is a great lightgun game and worth checking out if you're a fan of the genre.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Games Beaten 2020
Mortal Kombat 11 - PS4
The Force Unleashed II - 360
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom - Wii
Lara Croft and the Guardiant of Light - 360
Super Fantasy Zone - Genesis
Fable Heroes - 360
Castlevania Bloodlines - Genesis
My Friend Pedro - X1
Darius - Genesis
Ape Out - PC
Doom Eternal - PS4
Dead or Alive 6 - PS4
Plague, Inc. - PC
Space Harrier II - Genesis
Space Harrier - Arcade
G.I. Joe - Arcade
Chaos Control - PC
Super Off Road - SNES
Pyscho Dream - SFC
Psychosis - Turbo Grafx-16
Splatterhouse - Turbo Grafx-16
Minecraft Dungeons - X1
Astro Bot Rescue Mission - PSVR
Samurai Shodown (2019) - PS4
Tank Force - Switch (Arcade)
Call of Duty: WWII - PS4
World War - PC (Arcade)
Death's Hangover - PC
Hotshot Racing - PC
Double-Kick Heroes - X1
The First Tree - PC
Dusk - PC
Astro’s Playroom - PS5
Super Hang-On 3D - 3DS
Golden Axed - PC *new*
Pinball Wizard - iOS *new*
Assassin’s Creed Valhalla - PS5 *new*

Total: 37

Previously:
2019 2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010

A low, low total for the year. I’ll update this post with stats and thoughts later...
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

Beaten games: 160
Games that I started but did not finish: 21

Breakdown of games beat by console:

wii: 39
NES: 26
Switch: 19
Xbox 360: 19
PC: 18
SNES: 12
GBA: 5
PS2: 4
GB/GBC: 3
Opne Bor: 3
wii u: 2
Atari: 2600: 2
xbox: 2
Master System: 1
Genesis: 1
Ps4: 1
tg-16: 1
MAME: 1
Neo geo: 1

Replays: 50
New Playthroughs: 110

top 10 games I played for the first time this year: (no particular order other than wargroove being my number 1)

1. Wargroove
2. Sin and Punishment Star successor
3. Panzer Paladin
4. Mega Man Rock n roll
5. Jedi Fallen order
6. Cobra Kai
7. Resident evil 4 wii edition
8. Red Steel 2
9. Escape from Bug Island
10. Metroid other M

**Immortals Pheonix rising would have made the list but I did not beat it until new years day

2020 was an interesting gaming year for me. It was the first year in nearly a decade where the majority of games I played were not on PC, it was also the year that I got back into physical collecting. My main emphasis for the year was the wii, which I will probably write a separate post about.

I more or less accomplished all of my collecting goals for the year and going forward I will be focusing almost exclusively on collecting and playing the switch. I also see myself completing far less games in 2021 than I normally do given the birth of my beautiful new baby girl last night, which I am absolutely thrilled about.