Games Beaten 2020

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
pook99
128-bit

Re: Games Beaten 2020

Post by pook99 »

@prfsnl_gamer: I'm glad you enjoyed Aggelos, that was probably my surprise game of last year, definitely one of the best indies out there and it does not get the love it deserves.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

pook99 wrote:@prfsnl_gamer: I'm glad you enjoyed Aggelos, that was probably my surprise game of last year, definitely one of the best indies out there and it does not get the love it deserves.

I think it’s the title and atrocious icon artwork. It’s literally a great game with a bad name.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Markies' Games Beat List Of 2020!
*Denotes Replay For Completion*

1. Pikmin 2 (GCN)
2. Banjo-Tooie (N64)
3. Contra: Hard Corps (GEN)
4. Super Baseball Simulator 1,000 (SNES)
5. Chip 'N Dale Rescue Rangers 2 (NES)
6. Pinball Hall of Fame: The Gottlieb Collection (PS2)
***7. Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (PS2)***
***8. Cruis'N USA (N64)***
9. Arc The Lad Collection (PS1)
10. Halo 2 (XBX)
11. Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings And The Lost Ocean (GCN)
12. DuckTales 2 (NES)

13. Atelier Iris 3: Grand Phantasm (PS2)

I beat Atelier Iris 3: Grand Phantasm this afternoon for the Playstation 2.

The first two Atelier Iris games on the PS2 are some of my favorites on the system. The games have beautiful artwork, fantastic battle systems, interesting characters and stories along with really funny dialog. Atelier Iris 2 is probably my favorite of the two, but I really loved the first one as well. When it came to the third one, I had heard mixed reviews of the game. I still really loved the first two and I wanted to try the third one out, so when I saw a brand new copy for sale a few years ago, I decided to treat myself to an early Birthday present. After sitting on my shelf for a while, I decided now would be a great time to give the third game in the trilogy a whirl.

The biggest different between Atelier Iris 3 and its predecessors is how the story progresses. The first two games are very traditional JRPG's where you move from plot point to plot point. In Atelier Iris 3, you are Raiders who accept Quests throughout the entire game. Eventually, you will do a story quest and that is what moves the plot along. You can choose the Quests in any order, but you have to do the plot ones. Also, instead of exploring new areas, you have rather large Worlds that you can't explore at once as you get kicked out. Between the quests and the exploration, the game feels like a Metroidvania-RPG. You learn new abilities, take on different quests and meet new people and all of these let you explore new areas of the Worlds you visit. It is very different and unique once you wrap your head around that concept. Besides that, everything is pretty much the same. The graphics are still this 2D look that is amazing in my eyes. The battle system is fun and incredibly fast paced. The characters are very interesting and I loved talking to all of them. The story was a bit by the numbers, but I kind of expected that going in.

Overall, I really enjoyed Atelier Iris 3: Grand Phantasm. I do have to say that the backtracking in the game can get a little old, especially near the end. Exploring the same areas gets really repetitive especially if you are looking for one item. Besides that complaint, the game was fun to play and interesting every time I turned it on. It was just addicting to do the quests and the battle system was just so enjoyable. I prefer the first two of the series, but Atelier Iris 3 solidifies the series as one of my favorite on the PS2.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

98. Martian Panic (wii)

Martian Panic is one of those obscure light gun shooters that you would probably just assume is shovelware if you looked at the case, but this was a surprisingly well made and fun game, and is definitely one I would consider a hidden gem.

The story is set in the 1950's, aliens are invading and you play as one of several different regular people tasked to defend the planet from the invaders. The whole game feels like a parody of sci fi movies from the 50's, every level takes place in some kind of 50's locale like drive in theaters, secret government facilities, and a suburban neighborhood among others, there are cutscenes between levels which set the stage and lots of random dialogue and set pieces that do a great job of exhuding a cheesy B-movie vibe with lots of campy humor.

The gameplay is standard light gun fare, lots of things to shoot, destructable environments, civilians to be rescued, and a nice selection of different guns you can get in addition to the normal pistol. Difficulty is adjustable, there is an easy mode with unlimited continues so if you just want to enjoy the game you can run through it on that but there are other difficulty modes which add a nice challenge. I played through on normal where you get 3 continues per level and just barely finished it. The game does a nice job of telegraphing enemy attacks and scales up the difficulty curve in a smooth way.

Martian Panic was a really nice surprise, I don't think I have ever heard anyone talk about this game ever, but as far as light gun games go it is definitely a lot of fun and, while not as great as stuff like house of the dead, it can still hang with some of the better light gun games on the system.
Flake

Post by Flake »

January through June:
January
Shovel Knight: King of Cards (Switch)
Diablo III: Reaper of Souls (Switch)
Super Metroid (Switch)

February
Megaman X (Switch)
Nekketsu Highschool Dodgeball Club (Switch)
Super Dodgeball (Switch)

March

Garou: Mark of the Wolves (SNK Pro Stick)
Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch)

April

Batman The Telltale Series (Switch)
Street Fighter Alpha 2 (Switch)
SNK Gals' Fighter (Switch)

May

King of Fighters 97: Global Match (PS4)
Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch)

June
Megaman X3 (Switch)
Megaman X4 (Switch)
King of Fighters 98: Ultimate Match (PS4)
King of Fighters 99 (Switch)
Injustice 2 (PS4)

July

Donkey Kong Country (WiiU)

It's Donkey Kong Country! On a whim, I hooked up my WiiU for the first time in a while and realized I'd started a game of DKC last year and never finished it.

DKC has aged so very well. The gameplay, level design, visuals and (most importantly) music stick the landing no matter how much time goes by. It's a perfect little weekend platformer that doesn't ask a ton of the player. Given how stressed I am about work and life lately, I don't think I could have spent my time this weekend playing anything better.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Flake wrote:Donkey Kong Country (WiiU)

It's Donkey Kong Country! On a whim, I hooked up my WiiU for the first time in a while and realized I'd started a game of DKC last year and never finished it.

DKC has aged so very well. The gameplay, level design, visuals and (most importantly) music stick the landing no matter how much time goes by. It's a perfect little weekend platformer that doesn't ask a ton of the player. Given how stressed I am about work and life lately, I don't think I could have spent my time this weekend playing anything better.

Facts. DKC is a top 5 platformer, no question about it.

1. ACA NeoGeo: Cyber-Lip (Switch eShop)
2. Pengo (Atari 2600)
3. Kirby's Epic Yarn (Wii)
4. Knights of Xentar (PC)
5. Hoshi o Sagashite... (Mark III)
6. Dead Zone (Famicom Disk System)
7. Samurai Sword (Famicom Disk System)
8. High School! Kimengumi (Mark III)
9. Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom (NES)
10. Sindbad Mystery (SG-1000)
11. Steins;Gate (Vita)
12. Champion Boxing (SG-1000)
13. Squidlit (Switch eShop)
14. Skyblazer (SNES)
15. Tokyo Dark: Remembrance (Switch eShop)
16. Bubble Bobble (Famicom Disk System)
17. Steins;Gate Elite (Switch)
18. Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Joe and Mac Returns (Switch eShop)
19. Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Express Raider (Switch eShop)
20. Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle (Genesis)
21. Sword of Vermilion (Genesis)
22. Steins;Gate: My Darling's Embrace (Switch eShop)
23. Oink! (Atari 2600)
24. Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa (Famicom Disk System)
25. Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
26. Phantasy Star Online (Dreamcast)
27. Chaos;Child (Vita)
28. Scar of the Doll (Steam)
29. Kirby's Adventure (NES)
30. Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure (PlayStation)

31. Hangman (Atari 2600)

Well, this is one of those "what you see is what you get" sort of games. Hangman on the Atari 2600 is indeed....... hangman on the Atari 2600. Arriving in 1978, Hangman comes from an era where most video games were attempting to emulate "real life" activities. For the unacquainted, pencil and paper hangman works like this. One player thinks of a word and draws a series of dashes to represent how many letters are in said word. The second player attempts to guess the word by listing letters one by one. If a correct guess is made, that letter is written down and placed upon its corresponding dash. If a player guesses wrong, the other player draws a segment of a literal hanged man, one being put to death upon the gallows. The guesser wins if the word is completed before the drawn man is fully hanged. The number of allotted guesses varies by participants. People tend to go easy on children -- sorry dear, this three-letter word does not contain a Q, let me draw the man's left eyebrow now...

In Atari Hangman, the cartridge houses a bank of words for the player to guess. There are ostensibly multiple difficultly levels, but only in theory. Oftentimes the "easier" words can be more challenging to guess than the "high school" ones. The player is given eleven guesses, which is on the generous side. There are some additional two-player modes. Some allow for alternating turns, where choosing a letter correctly grants a player a consecutive turn, and solved words grant a player a "point" to be tallied up to five maximum. Mode 9 allows a player to compose a word for the other to guess. It's a bit clunky with the Atari joystick, and the other person is supposed to leave the room or shut their eyes for a minute? This is gaming in the 1970s.
The graphical presentation is rather totalitarian, with massive block letters and some very questionable color choices. The joystick is used to cycle through the alphabet, with the button used to confirm a guess. "Used" (whether right or wrong) letters are automatically tossed from the alphabet, as opposed to the pencil and paper method of writing them off to the side. Each letter will play a different musical note when highlighted, so a pleasant little jingle commences while scrolling. Of special note is the hanged man himself. He's not hanged at all. Instead, he appears to be grabbing onto the gallows beam with a single hand, flaunting his expertise at one-handed pull-ups. The man also possesses an extra appendage. It looks like something of a "third leg" -- wait, what...? Okay, my "Atari Flashback: The Essential Companion" guide (highly recommended) informs me that this figure is actually intended to be a playful monkey with a long tail. I suppose a man being put to death was too gruesome for this era. By the way, Atari also released Outlaw in 1978, where two gunslingers face off and blast each other with six-shooters.

Not much else to say about this one. It's moderately amusing, but at the end of the day most folks would prefer to play hangman the traditional way. Hangman remains a cheap cartridge and manages to weasel its way into every Flashback compilation, so even the most casual Atari fans are going to stumble upon this sooner or later. Say hi to the monkey.
Ack

Post by Ack »

1. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch)(Adventure)
2. Final Fight [Japanese Version] (Switch)(Beat 'Em Up)
3. Ziggurat (PC)(FPS)
4. Magrunner: Dark Pulse (PC)(FPS)
5. The King of Dragons [Japanese](Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)

6. Captain Commando [Japanese](Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
7. Knights of the Round [Japanese](Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
8. The Witcher (PC)(RPG)

9. Tenchi wo Kurau II (Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
10. Dark Sun: Shattered Lands (PC)(RPG)

11. Lichdom: Battlemage (PC)(FPS/RPG Hybrid)
12. Star Wars: Republic Commando (PC)(FPS)

13. DOOM 64 (PC)(FPS)
14. Half Dead 2 (PC)(Adventure)

15. Powered Gear - Strategic Variant Armor Equipment (Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
16. Torchlight II (PC)(RPG)

17. Battle Circuit [Japanese](Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
18. Hard Reset Redux (PC)(FPS)

19. The Stanley Parable (PC)(Walking Sim)
20. Waking Mars (PC)(Adventure)
21. Requiem: Avenging Angel (PC)(FPS)

22. Night Slashers (Arcade)(Beat 'Em Up)
23. Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD (PC)(Action Adventure)

24. Strikers 1945 (Arcade)(SHMUP)
25. SiN Episodes: Emergence (PC)(FPS)
26. Crysis Warhead (PC)(FPS)

27. Metro 2033 (PC)(FPS)
28. Good Job! (Switch)(Puzzle)
29. Blasphemous (Switch)(Action Adventure)

30. Two Worlds: Epic Edition (PC)(RPG)
31. Chex Quest HD (PC)(FPS)

32. NecroVision: Lost Company (PC)(FPS)
33. Icewind Dale (PC)(RPG)

34. Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter (PC)(RPG)
35. Icewind Dale: Trials of the Luremaster (PC)(RPG)

36. Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession (PC)(RPG)
37. Singularity (PC)(FPS)
38. The Witcher 2 (PC)(RPG)
39. Still Life 2 (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)
40. Myst IV: Revelation (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)
41. Gato Roboto (Switch)(Action Adventure)
42. Painkiller: Overdose (PC)(FPS)

These are two very different games, and they elicited two very different responses from me.

Gato Roboto

You play a cat. Your owner, some kind of military pilot in an interstellar federation of humans, crashlands his ship on a planet while monitoring a distress signal coming from an abandoned research outpost. Of course, since he's now pinned inside, it's up to his faithful kitty to go find an armored mech suit and discover the facility's secrets.

Imagine Metroid.

Now imagine Metroid if Samus was a cat.

It works. It works amazingly well. The game is faithfully built on Metroid's style and presentation, but it's also whimsical because you're an adorable kitty. Also, you can in fact leave your suit at times to explore parts of the facility, giving you access to a few new moves that Samus only wishes she could pull off. At times it's challenging, with some points that require thinking and strategy while at others requiring fast reflexes and situational awareness. Yet it's also short enough not to overstay its welcome, with a few hidden unlockables and secrets for fun. I managed to beat it with an initial time under four hours, and I did some backtracking for fun at the end to see what my powered up suit could do.

Also, it has color palettes you can find, which is great, because the game is only two colors. One of these palettes turns the black/white color scheme into black/green and looks like a Game Boy game. Another is black/red and looks like something from the Virtual Boy. The devs here really knew what they were doing.

Gato Roboto is a delight. It's on Steam, but I found it a perfect Switch game.

Painkiller: Overdose

The original Painkiller is a fun FPS with an exceptionally dumb plot that's basically built of ridiculous weapons and fighting hordes of ridiculous monsters. The later Painkiller games continue this tradition but not as well. Painkiller: Overdose is a later Painkiller game. It keeps the dumb plot but merely reskins a lot of the ridiculous elements, gives you some bland level design to fight in often consisting of square or rectangular rooms, and it reuses assets from the original game as often as possible. Also, it runs about as well as a Ford Pinto...mid-explosion. And even that explosion isn't cool.

The plot is you're a half-demon half-angel who complains a lot and has daddy issues. You wake up and fight your way through Purgatory to go beat up your absent father. That's it.

The game consists of levels which have various themes, though if you have played any previous Painkiller, you'll soon notice that you're fighting some of the same enemies you did in previous games, only now they're a different color. There are a few new enemies, but most of them aren't good design. The one that is? I'll praise it later. That's it.

Your weapons consist of rehashed designs from previous Painkiller games or blended variations. For instance, the freezing shotgun and chaingun rocket launcher come back. Your stake gun is now combined with the crossbow that launches ball-bearings, only now the ball bearings explode. You have a demon cube that's the same as the Painkiller in previous games. That's half your arsenal right there. The other half? A broken sword that has a janky spinning attack, a demon egg that is just a remote-controlled bomb, a shotgun variant that shoots toxic sludge, and a demon head that shoots lasers from its eyes and has a weaker version of your powered up demon scream from eating too many souls. That one...is actually pretty cool, not gonna lie.

Oh, and the game just crashed. Reloading your saved? Crashed. Reload an older save? Crashed. Go back and lose twenty minutes of progress having to fight the same monotonous demons over again? Good for you, it's gonna- the game froze.

The best part of this game is the one enemy type I mentioned earlier: it's a wooden cutout of a classic movie monster on wheels. And I do mean classic, like the Universal Wolfman or Nosferatu. It slowly wheels up to you and then spins around to hit you. It also takes a lot of punishment from the front, but if you use your weapons strategically, you can get behind and drop it quick. It changes up the monotony a bit and offers a fun little tribute to some favorite movies of mine, so this was by far the highlight. It's certainly better than the demon chicken roosts.

I really didn't like Painkiller: Overdose. I really don't recommend it.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I thought Ack didn't like platformers!
Ack

Post by Ack »

Generally I don't, but it's hard to say no to a good Metroid-style game!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

“SUPPLE” :lol: Great review of a terrible game, Bone. Also, I’m glad Ack liked Gato Roboto. It’s such a charming game.

First 30
1. Her Story (iOS)
2. Elminage Original (3DS)
3. Legend of Grimrock (iOS)
4. Silent Bomber (PS1)
5. Crash Bandicoot (PS1)
6. Bust-a-Move 2 Arcade Edition (PS1)
7. Transformers Cybertron Adventures (Wii)
8. Squidlit (Switch)
9. Sydney Hunter & The Curse of the Mayan (Switch)
10. Mega Man Legends (PS1)
11. Revenge of the Bird King (Switch)
12. Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King (Switch)
13. Gato Roboto (Switch)
14. Kamiko (Switch)
15. Night Slashers (Arcade)
16. Subsurface Circular (Switch)
17. Iconoclasts (Switch)
18. Wonder Boy Returns Remix (Switch)
19. Resident Evil 3 (PS1)
20. The Messenger (Switch)
21. The Messenger: Picnic Panic (Switch)
22. Samsara Room (iOS)
23. Heroes of the Monkey Tavern (Switch)
24. Sayonara Wild Hearts (Switch)
25. Gris (Switch)
26. Donut County (iOS)
27. Donkey Kong Country 2 (SNES)
28. Donkey Kong Country 3 (SNES)
29. Contra (Arcade)
30. Super Contra (Arcade)

31. Minesweeper Genius (Switch)
32. Kuso (Switch)
33. 20XX (Switch)
34. Spooky Ghosts Dot Com (Switch)
35. Aggelos (Switch)
36. Quell+ (iOS)

I beat Quell Reflect and Quell Memento on my 3DS a few years ago, and I recently downloaded the latest game, Quell Zen, to my Switch. As I was downloading the most recent Quell game, I thought, “You know what? I’ve never beaten plain ol’ Quell!” Well, now I’ve beaten it. It’s a Quell game that’s more basic than its sequels. You slide a raindrop around a pane of glass collecting pearls, finding gems, and avoiding traps. You try to complete each level in the fewest possible moves. It’s supposed to be relaxing, but some of the puzzles are so difficult that I don’t find it relaxing at all. Apparently, I find it really compelling, though, since I’ve now beaten three of these games (and will probably beat the fourth before too much longer). Like the others, I recommend Quell to anyone seeking a relatively challenging puzzle game that doesn’t overstay it’s welcome.