1. Invisigun Reloaded (Switch)
2. Human: Fall Flat (Switch)
3. Shantae: The Pirate's Curse (3DS)
4. Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (PC)
5. Splatterhouse (PS3) *
6. 3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3)
7. Tokyo Jungle (PS3)
8. Pictobits (DSiWare)
9. Puzzle Quest: The Legend Reborn (Switch)
10. WarioWare Gold (3DS)
11. Disaster: Day of Crisis (Wii)
12. Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition (Xbone)
13. Sleeping Dogs: Nightmare in North Point (Xbone)
14. Sleeping Dogs: Year of the Snake (Xbone)
15. Dynamite Headdy (Genesis) *
16. Shovel Knight: King of Cards (3DS)
17. Shovel Knight: Shovel of Hope (3DS) *
18. Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows (Switch) *
19. Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment (Switch) *
20. Shovel Knight: Showdown (Switch)
21. Dragon Quest Builders 2 (PS4)
22. ActRaiser (SNES)
23. Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth (WiiWare)
24. Mega Man X (SNES)
25. Breath of Fire II (SNES)
26. Ape Escape 2 (PS2) *
27. Doubutsu No Mori+ (GC)
28. Ape Escape (PS1)
29. Ape Escape 3 (PS2) *
30. Maken X (DC)
31. Cubivore (GC)
32. Wario World (GC) *
33. Hatoful Boyfriend (PC)
34. Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem (SFC)
35. Baku Bomberman 2 (N64)
36. Chameleon Twist (N64)
37. Gato Roboto (PC)
38. The Messenger (PC)
39. The Messenger: Picnic Panic (PC)
40. Baku Bomberman (N64)
41. Bomberman Hero (N64)
42. Blazing Lasers (TG16)
43. Neutopia (TG16)
44. Neutopia II (TG16)
45. Bomberman '94 (PCE)
46. Super Mario Sunshine (GC) *
47. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (GC) *
48. Shenmue 3 (PS4)
49. Wandersong (Switch)
50. Ratchet & Clank (PS2)

51. Ratchet & Clank 2: Going Commando (PS2)
52. Ratchet & Clank 3: Up Your Arsenal (PS2)
53. Nier: Automata (PS4)
54. Ratchet: Deadlocked (PS2)
55. Itadaki Street Special (PS2)
56. Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (PCE)
57. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PS3)
58. Crash Bandicoot (PS1)
59. Nazo Puyo: Aruru No Ruu~ (Game Gear)
60. Jumping Flash! (PS1)
61. Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (PS1)
62. Crash Team Racing (PS1)
63. Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped (PS1)
64. Super Mario Galaxy (Switch)
65. Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time (PS3)
66. Battle Stadium D.O.N. (GC) *
67. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii) *
68. Dracula Densetsu II (GB)
69. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii) *
70. Super Mario's Picross (SFC)
71. Castlevania (Famicom)
72. Castlevania (MSX)
73. Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
74. Castlevania: The Adventure (GB)
75. Castlevania III (Famicom)
76. Super Castlevania IV (SFC) *
77. Castlevania: Bloodlines (MD)
78. Kid Dracula (Famicom)
79. Sonic Adventure (DC)
80. Drakengard (PS2)
81. Pole's Big Adventure (WiiWare)
82. Day of the Tentacle Remastered (PC)
83. Mario's Picross (GB)
84. Sonic Heroes (GC)
85. Drakengard 2 (PS2)
86. NeverDead (PS3)
87. 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand (PS3)
88. Gain Ground (Genesis)
89. Bonanza Bros. (Genesis)
90. Golden Axe Warrior (Master System)
91. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis)

92. Shadow the Hedgehog (PS2)

Like Sonic Heroes, this was another game I rented as a kid but never finished all the way through, and it seemed like another perfect fit for both this month's theme of returning to games you failed to finish before, as well as the 3D Sonic kick I've been on recently. I ended going with the PS2 edition, basically only because this version of the game goes for 700 yen in Japan, while the GameCube version goes for more like 4000 yen ^^; (and you don't even wanna know about the original Xbox version XD). I played through the first of the routes on stream and was a bit lukewarm on the game, but as I stayed with it it really grew on me, and I came out of it really respecting a lot more of what the game is trying to do than I anticipated I would going into it. The game doesn't keep a play timer, so I'm not sure exactly how long it took me to beat, but given that I finished it over the course of like a day and a half, I reckon it took me around 17-20 hours to get all the endings in.

Shadow the Hedgehog is more or less the second game (or third, depending on how you view the story in Sonic Heroes) that Sonic Team USA made that was dedicated mainly to the telling the story of Shadow the Hedgehog. Sometime after the events of Sonic Heroes, Shadow is standing outside Westopolis, brooding over why he has no memories of his past. Suddenly, a massive portal opens up in the sky and black and red aliens start pouring out of it. A massive alien calling itself Black Doom appears next to Shadow and tells him that the "promised time" has come, and that he must bring him the seven chaos emeralds. Thinking that this mission will give him the answers to his past that he seeks, Shadow heads off to fulfill this mysterious quest.

The game has a branching series of levels where you can generally pick to do either the "good" mission, the "bad" mission, or the "neutral" mission in each stage. Then at the end of each route, you can only pick a good or bad mission to pick what final boss you'll fight. There's no true alignment system, as it just determines what stage you'll go to next, and honestly some of the routes make HUGE leaps of logic with absolutely no explanation of why Shadow suddenly is where he is. Quite frequently more minor things like "I just helped Robotnik but now I'm fighting him as a boss and he somehow didn't even know I was here?" are not uncommon in certain routes. Certain paths make a lot more sense than others (especially if you don't hop between good and bad missions), but that branching mission system definitely makes the story suffer as a whole. There's also a "library" feature in the game, where you can see what routes you've taken and rewatch the cutscenes in order, and while it's a neat feature, they clearly didn't expect you to actually go through all 300+ possible routes in the game to just unlock all those strings of text.

Horribly panned at the time of its release for being overly dark and edgy for a Sonic game (which to a point I agree with), I genuinely respect what Shadow the Hedgehog is going for with its storytelling. Shadow's main quest is trying to figure out his history as a means of seeking the answer of why he exists. Along the more logically connected story routes, you have three general possible stories: Shadow goes with the good guys and realizes he was meant to be a defender of humanity, Shadow chases Robotnik and realizes he's just a clone of the real Shadow who died at the end of SA2, and Shadow goes with Black Doom's plan and realizes that Humans aren't worth saving and need to be destroyed/conquered.

To me, the main theme of the game is really about how the authority figures around you determine a LOT of how you see yourself and the world around you. You can only be as "good" or "evil" as the environment you're put into, and while a lot of that can be up to your choice, a lot of it also isn't. Shadow's ultimate realization in the true ending (which you get as an option to play when you've seen all 10 other endings) is that while he is certainly responsible for his sins in the past, it's up to him to decide what he does in the future, and that his history does not need to define who he will be in the future. A lot like Sonic Adventure 2, I think this story may not be high art, but it's got a lot of heart and I respect it for that. It may be a bit broody and angsty on the surface (especially the game's intro, omg), but I don't think they're just blowing hot air with the story they're trying to tell and actually manage to make a meaningful point with it at the end of the day if you give it a chance.

Mechanically, this game is far more in the vein of Sonic Adventure 2 than it is Sonic Heroes (thank heck), but more based around Shadow's stages in that game. You have the aforementioned mission system (which I'll get to in a bit), vehicle sections, but most infamously you have the main new gameplay mechanic which is the addition of guns and melee weapons that you can pick up and use to fight enemies with. The weapons do feel like a bit of an afterthought in terms of the larger level design and boss design, but they do make dealing with many enemies a lot more efficient than your standard jumping homing attack, and getting new beefy guns to heck up aliens or military soldiers with is always good fun. While the camera is a bit wonky from time to time in certain stages, it's generally about as good as SA2's camera was (that being "acceptable" in quality XD). One of this game's strongest bits of design is its bosses, and it easily has some of the best bosses in a 3D Sonic game of this generation as well as the best true final boss of those as well.

One final note on the combat is that it adds probably one of my favorite innovation in one of these 3D Sonic games: it changes how rings work. You no longer lose ALL your rings when you get hit, but a maximum of 10 at once. Now they're more like a health pool rather than a one-hit shield between you and death, and it makes the game flow a lot better. Especially for a game with wider levels more about ranged fighting, I think it's an ingenious innovation for the classic formula.

The level design is something of a mixed bag when paired alongside the level design. Going for neutral missions, which usually just involve getting to the end of the stage, I think the game is pretty strong in how it builds its levels. The levels have a lot of combat bits intermixed with running fast, and they're good fun to blaze through as quick as you can (especially through replays) just like the Sonic and Shadow levels are in SA2. The missions, on the other hand, are much more of a mixed bag of quality. It doesn't really feel like they had great ideas for the missions themselves, so much as they really liked the idea OF missions, and a lot of the missions are either finding hidden objects in a level or killing most/all of a certain faction of enemy. Those aren't usually too hard, but it can be really frustrating when you're using the warp-point checkpoints to hunt through an entire stage for the one enemy/item you missed. It can be fun to try and speed run those as well once you've done them once or twice, but a couple stages (the Central City bombing mission in particular) just have really awful, maze-like missions that drag on forever and just aren't fun. The missions are neutral in quality more than they're bad, but I feel the emphasis on them harms the game as a whole. I honestly also think that they either added more stages or rearranged them at some point in development to give you more mission options, and that's the main reason that the story feels so often disjointed in many routes.

Now, the big elephant in the room here is the 10+1 endings. If you wanna finish the game's true ending, you've gotta see all 10 endings, which involves doing the good and evil missions each of the five final stages (with the game having 22 main stages and and other 1 for the final true ending). While this IS a lot of level repetition, it's also fairly in line with how prior 3D Sonic games have approached their level design in terms of asset reuse. Sonic Heroes and especially Sonic Adventure 1 use this exact same sort of "the same level but a bit different) approach to their game design, and I think Shadow does it the best out of any of the three of them. A lot of the different missions minorly or majorly affect how you'll play through that stage (not unlike how different characters handled different stages in Sonic Adventure 1), and taking different routes to play as many unique missions as I could was a fun element to going for those ten endings. I personally think that having no alignment choices on the final missions so you only had five routes to play through would've been a much better design choice, but I don't think that what we got is unforgivable, and I found it fun trying for the different missions in a stage and trying to improve on your letter grade rankings for ones I had to repeat wholesale.

The presentation is pretty solid on the whole. The characters and graphics look as good as Sonic ever had on that generation, looking more polished like they did in Sonic Heroes but not nearly so cheap looking (at least most of the time), and the pre-rendered CGI cutscenes look great too. The music is also quite good again, having some really nice remixes of SA2 tracks and some really banging new vocal tracks. It's good enough I've seriously considered hunting down a physical version of the soundtrack XD. The game has some difficulty with its visual language from time to time (leading to some more maze-like levels or seeming dead-ends), but the NPC dialogue (whose repetition at times can get quite annoying) often points you in the direction of what to do so you never have to outright look up how to progress when it's in fact something really simple.

In regards to the Japanese PS2 version I played, I have a few final comments. DO NOT play the PS2 version of this game or any other multi-platform Sonic game, because it is easily the worst versions of these games to play (as was so common for games of that generation). The game is capped at 30 FPS but still manages to chug in somewhat more crowded areas, and while it thankfully never seriously affects the gameplay, it's still really jarring and unpleasant to look at. The Japanese version of the game, on the other hand, is really nice. I had really wondered for previous Sonic Team USA games if they'd been written in English or Japanese first, but this game really confirmed for me that they're written in Japanese first. I had the Japanese audio but English subtitles (mostly for the convenience of viewers of my stream, but also for me), and the English translation is very often awkward in its syntax and overly simple in how it erases nuance in the original Japanese. It's not unforgivable or "so bad it's good" in English (any more than Sonic usually is, anyhow XD), but I definitely think the Japanese script communicates the story better, and I'm glad I played with it.

Verdict: Recommended. When I first decided to play this game again, I didn't think there was any way I would give it more than a hesitantly recommended rating here, but as I played more missions, fought more bosses, and saw more of the story, it grew on me more and more. At this point, I'd even say it's outright better than Sonic Adventure 1. This game was certainly a product of its time: "linearity" was a four letter word in games criticism, people were OBSESSED with "replayability", and media in general was trending towards more edgy and serious stories. That said, I think it was really unfairly panned given how lauded the comparatively terribly Sonic Heroes was a couple years before. If you like 3D Sonic games (or really just the two Sonic Adventure games), I think it's absolutely a mistake to sleep on Shadow the Hedgehog if more gameplay like that is what you're after. It makes plenty of mistakes, sure, but its overall polish and quality should not be ignored for people who like 3D Sonic, and this is easily among the better 3D Sonic games in my book. It won't be one of my all-time favorite games or anything, but this will definitely go down as one of my favorite surprise enjoyments of the year.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2020

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

First 70
1. Her Story (iOS)
2. Elminage Original (3DS)
3. Legend of Grimrock (iOS)
4. Silent Bomber (PS1)
5. Crash Bandicoot (PS1)
6. Bust-a-Move 2 Arcade Edition (PS1)
7. Transformers Cybertron Adventures (Wii)
8. Squidlit (Switch)
9. Sydney Hunter & The Curse of the Mayan (Switch)
10. Mega Man Legends (PS1)
11. Revenge of the Bird King (Switch)
12. Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King (Switch)
13. Gato Roboto (Switch)
14. Kamiko (Switch)
15. Night Slashers (Arcade)
16. Subsurface Circular (Switch)
17. Iconoclasts (Switch)
18. Wonder Boy Returns Remix (Switch)
19. Resident Evil 3 (PS1)
20. The Messenger (Switch)
21. The Messenger: Picnic Panic (Switch)
22. Samsara Room (iOS)
23. Heroes of the Monkey Tavern (Switch)
24. Sayonara Wild Hearts (Switch)
25. Gris (Switch)
26. Donut County (iOS)
27. Donkey Kong Country 2 (SNES)
28. Donkey Kong Country 3 (SNES)
29. Contra (Arcade)
30. Super Contra (Arcade)
31. Minesweeper Genius (Switch)
32. Kuso (Switch)
33. 20XX (Switch)
34. Spooky Ghosts Dot Com (Switch)
35. Aggelos (Switch)
36. Quell+ (iOS)
37. The White Door (iOS)
38. Grizzland (Switch)
39. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (Switch)
40. Silent Hill (PS1)
41. Tcheco in the Castle of Lucio (Switch)
42. The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening (Switch)
43. Stories Untold (Switch)
44. Boxboy! + Boxgirl! (Switch)
45. R-Type Leo (Arcade)
46. Cybarian: The Time-Traveling Warrior (Switch)
47. Duck Souls+ (Switch)
48. Daggerhood (Switch)
49. Gravity Duck (Switch)
50. Biolab Wars (Switch)
51. Legends of Amberland (Switch)
52. Mega Man & Bass: Challenger from the Future (Wonderswan)
53. Double Dragon (Game Gear)
54. Hyrule Warriors (Wii U)
55. SNK vs. Capcom Card Fighters Clash (NGPC)
56. SUPERHOT (Switch)
57. Dogurai (Switch)
58. Ori & The Blind Forest Definitive Edition (Switch)
59. Alchemist’s Castle (Switch)
60. Dear Esther (iOS)
61. Framed 2 (iOS)
62. A Noble Circle (iOS)
63. Lit (iOS)
64. SPL-T (iOS)
65. Florence (iOS)
66. Wurroom (Switch)
67. Warlock’s Tower (iOS)
68. I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream (iOS)
69. Cally’s Caves 2 (iOS)
70. Paratopic (Switch)

71. Limbo (Switch)
72. INSIDE (Switch)
73. Electronic Super Joy II (Switch)
74. Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)

I didn’t think Nintendo would ever top Super Mario Galaxy, but I was wrong. Super Mario Odyssey is the best 3D Mario game and, therefore, the best 3D platformer. I played it compulsively until I had gathered all 880 power moons, and I am sad that I’ve done (almost) everything in the game. The game is delightfully weird, and not only is it a spectacular experience, it makes Mario’s world drastically more interesting. (Wait...There’s a city full of photorealistic humans adjacent to the Mushroom Kingdom? It’s streets are named after characters from Donkey Kong Country, and it’s mayor is Pauline, who was previously kidnapped by Donkey Kong and rescued by Mario. She’s still looking for her purse?! Amazing.) This game came out some time ago, and others have written about its merits extensively. Accordingly, I won’t write much more, except to say that I absolutely adored this game and can’t recommend it highly enough. It really is a masterpiece.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Partridge Senpai's 2020 Beaten Games:
Previously: 2016 2017 2018 2019
* indicates a repeat

1-50
5. Splatterhouse (PS3) *
7. Tokyo Jungle (PS3)
8. Pictobits (DSiWare)
10. WarioWare Gold (3DS)
22. ActRaiser (SNES)
24. Mega Man X (SNES)
26. Ape Escape 2 (PS2) *
28. Ape Escape (PS1)
29. Ape Escape 3 (PS2) *
30. Maken X (DC)
31. Cubivore (GC)
32. Wario World (GC) *
37. Gato Roboto (PC)
38. The Messenger (PC)
40. Baku Bomberman (N64)
41. Bomberman Hero (N64)
43. Neutopia (TG16)
44. Neutopia II (TG16)
45. Bomberman '94 (PCE)
48. Shenmue 3 (PS4)
49. Wandersong (Switch)

60. Jumping Flash! (PS1)
72. Castlevania (MSX)
79. Sonic Adventure (DC)
80. Drakengard (PS2)
83. Mario's Picross (GB)
84. Sonic Heroes (GC)
85. Drakengard 2 (PS2)
86. NeverDead (PS3)

93. Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)

For this month's TR theme of returning to games we failed to beat before, I don't know how I nearly forgot about this one. It was for years what I called my favorite of the Genesis Sonic games, and one I played more than any other on the Sonic and Genesis collections I had as a kid. Developed by Traveler's Tales (who would go on to make the Lego games~) and coming out in the very late year of 1996 and certainly a mechanical oddball in comparison to its fellow Genesis Sonic games, my general distaste for the traditional Sonic games made me gravitate to this one a lot more as a kid, and I'm glad to have finally seen the proper end of it. It took me a couple hours to get all the chaos emeralds and beat the final boss in the English version of the game via my PS3 copy of Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection.

The story, as one would expect, is pretty simple. The Flickies are a race of birds that have special powers. Robotnik wants to use them to get the chaos emeralds and conquer the world, so he crams them all into robots and takes over their whole island. Sonic is just trying to stop by Flicky Island to visit his friends there, but finds them all captured by Robotnik, so it's Sonic's job to stop him. A fairly standard premise for a Sonic game that then leads into the rather unconventional gameplay.

This game is very unlike its 2D counterparts in many ways. The most immediate difference is that it's more-so 3D than 2D and has an isometric camera angle to boot, which can make it really awkward (and kinda painful) to play on a PS3 D-pad, but it makes more sense on the more circular Genesis D-pad. In my case, I largely played it with the joystick on the dual-shock 3 ^^;. Aside from that, your goal in each mission isn't to just get to the end of the stage, but you need to rescue all the Flickies to do it. This involves killing all the robots in the area (usually) to free them and put them in the big ring at the end of the area, and each Act has 2 or 3 of these interconnected areas.

The chaos emeralds are also a bit odd, but more like Sonic 2 in how you get them. You need to find Knuckles or Tails in a level and given them some amount of rings (I believe it's 50 the first time and goes up by 50 each time you want to retry) to enter the mini-game, which is a sort of variation of the Sonic 2 special game as you run forward along a bridge collecting rings, avoiding mines, and not falling off. I personally think the Sonic 2 special game is awful, but this is probably my favorite emerald collecting game of all the Sonic games on Genesis, which is why I actually was able to get all seven of them to then fight the true final boss at the end XD. The only time I used save states in the game was to quickly retry the 6th and 7th emerald trials, and that was really just a time saving measure. You pay all of your rings to Knuckles/Tails to enter the special stage, and all of the rings on the level reset when you exit a special stage. There isn't even a time limit on the levels, so there's really nothing but your patience keeping you from trying over and over in most cases.

The controls are decent, but take a bit of getting used to. Honestly, I'd probably recommend playing this on one of the later collections instead of the Genesis (or Saturn) originals because of just how well Sonic moves with a joystick as opposed to a D-pad XD. There are some nuances to how he controls that clearly lend themselves better to a D-pad (the emerald special stages in particular are far better played with a D-pad), but the general movement of the normal stages fit way better to a joystick for how I played it.

The level design is overall really solid, as it actively takes into account just how awkward moving Sonic around can be. They never really have you doing anything that requires really precision jumps (or if they do, there's always a way around it), so just how hard it can be to get Sonic to land on a tiny platform is almost never an obstacle between you and victory. The enemies are largely just there to keep the Flickies from you, so your biggest obstacle in completing the game are the stage hazards, and they're also pretty tame. The only time you'll really run into places where you'll lose lives are the boss battles, but they're all good fun and varied in their design, and were some of my favorite bits of the game. Overall, this is a really good Sonic game for people not so familiar with games, as there are tons of extra lives and you don't die often either, generally. It's a pretty easy game, but that just made it all the more appealing to me XD.

The game's presentation is pretty standard fare for the Genesis, that being it's heckin' excellent. The music is all fun and catchy, as a Sonic game should have, and the graphics are bright and colorful. As plastic and toy-like the graphics can seem at times (and with how odd some of Sonic's animations can look upon close examination), I think the game looks really good for what it is. Particularly for a Genesis game, I quite like how the game's aesthetic is, but I could understand someone thinking it was utterly hideous XD.

Verdict: Highly Recommended. It's certainly an oddball among Sonic games, but it's definitely still one I like a lot. If you're looking for a good, weird platformer on the Genesis, even on the original hardware this won't break the bank. I'd still recommend playing it via some collection that gives you a joystick to work with like I had, but it's a great time either way. Not everyone will be able to gel with the controls or the aesthetic, especially if you're expecting a more traditional Sonic game, but if you're willing to take the dive on something just a bit different, there's a ton to enjoy here. An isometric Sonic game on the Genesis could've been a disaster, but I'll be damned if they didn't make a pretty darn fun one.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
I didn’t think Nintendo would ever top Super Mario Galaxy, but I was wrong. Super Mario Odyssey is the best 3D Mario game and, therefore, the best 3D platformer.

Spoken like a man who hasn't played Super Mario Galaxy 2!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

dsheinem wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:
I didn’t think Nintendo would ever top Super Mario Galaxy, but I was wrong. Super Mario Odyssey is the best 3D Mario game and, therefore, the best 3D platformer.

Spoken like a man who hasn't played Super Mario Galaxy 2!

:lol:

I honestly thought you’d retort with Astro Bot Rescue Mission. I’ve read that it is insanely good, but I haven’t played it yet...

I have played through all of the 3D Mario games, however, and this is my ranking:

Super Mario Odyssey
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario 3D World
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario 3D Land
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Sunshine

The worst of these is still an amazing 3D platformer, and the top 5 are some of the best games I’ve ever played.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

First 50:
1. Elite Dangerous - PC
2. Soldier of Fortune - PC
3. Star Wars: TIE Fighter: Defender of the Empire - PC
4. Star Wars: TIE Fighter: Enemies of the Empire - PC
5. Star Wars: X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter: Balance of Power - PC
6. Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance - PC
7. Phoenix Point - PC
8. Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter - PC
9. Descent II - PC
10. Inbento - Switch
11. Ori and the Will of the Wisps - XB1
12. Doom Eternal - PC
13. Serious Sam 2 - PC
14. Black Mesa - PC
15. Descent 3 - PC
16. Darksiders II - PC
17. Resident Evil 3 (2020) - PC
18. Overload - PC
19. Final Fantasy VII Remake - PS4
20. Trials of Mana (2020) - Switch
21. Persona 5 Royal - PS4
22. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered - PC
23. Sublevel Zero Redux - PC
24. Final Fantasy XII: Zodiac Age - PS4
25. Maneater - PC
26. XCOM: Chimera Squad - PC
27. Sakura Wars - PS4
28. Stela - Switch
29. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 - DC
30. Darksiders III - PC
31. Shadow Warrior (2013) - PC
32. Robotrek - SNES
33. Shadow Warrior 2 - PC
34. EVO: The Search for Eden - SNES
35. Blast Corps - N64
36. Command & Conquer: The Covert Operations - PC
37. Command & Conquer Red Alert: Counterstrike - PC
38. The Last of Us Part 2 - PS4
39. Exodemon - PC
40. Halo: Reach - PC
41. Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary - PC
42. Halo 2: Anniversary - PC
43. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel - PS3
44. Halo 3 - PC
45. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II - PS4
46. Command & Conquer Red Alert: Aftermath - PC
47. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 - Switch
48. Carrion - Switch
49. Ninja Gaiden - NES
50. Earthworm Jim - Genesis

51. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III - Switch
52. Star Control Origins: Earth Rising - PC
53. Gunvolt Chronicles: Luminous Avenger iX - Switch
54. Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith - PC
55. Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls - PS3
56. Silicon Zeroes - PC
57. Warcraft - PC
58. Serious Sam 3: BFE - PC
59. Wasteland 3 - PC
60. Iron Harvest - PC
61. Serious Sam 3: Jewel of the Nile - PC
62, Homeworld Remastered - PC
63. Homeworld 2 Remastered - PC
64. Offworld Trading Company - PC
65. F-Zero - SNES
66. F-Zero X - N64
67. Gauntlet (2014) - PC
68. Gauntlet Legends - Arcade
69. Halo 3: ODST - PC
70. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim - PS4
71. Star Wars Squadrons - PC
72. Serious Sam 4 - PC
73. The Bard's Tale - PC
74. The Bard's Tale II - PC
75. The Bard's Tale III - PC
76. The Bard's Tale IV - PC
77. Outbuddies - Switch
78. Ghostrunner - PC
79. Shining Force Gaiden: Final Conflict - GG
80. Zombies Ate My Neighbors - SNES

ZAMN is one of those games I've had for quite a while but never beaten. Mostly because it is surprisingly nasty and has some counterintuitive play patterns. But once you figure things out it ends up being a bit like Ninja Gaiden on the NES; you sail through for a while with your practiced plan and at certain points you have to deal with some dicey stuff (though nothing like the Stage 6 gauntlet). The game could have used a bit more polish, but it's still a reasonably fun title.

The game has a razor-thin plot; there's a scientist named Dr. Tongue and he made monsters come or something, and you need to stop him and save the neighbors. Well, one neighbor. See, here's the main mechanic of the game. You start off with ten neighbors in a level that you try to save. If a monster noms them they die; if all neighbors are nommed you lose. Starting in the next level you have however many neighbors you saved; basically it's like the cities in Missile Command. Once the last neighbor is removed from the map a door will spawn near your current position which lets you exit the stage. Then it counts up your points. Every 40k points you will restore a dead neighbor, or if you're at ten already gain an extra life (and if you're capped on lives you just get a bunch of points). And this leads into how the game plays in practice.

See, ZAMN is actually a resource management game. The game tosses a variety of weapons and items at you, but most of the weapons are garbage. The good ones are quite good, but you should not approach it as a game where you mow down everything in your path. Instead you need to focus on your primary goal of saving the neighbors. And that's the second bit of resource management; do you play on the razor's edge and go down to a single neighbor, so that you can conserve resources (at the risk of game overing with a bad spawn) or do you try to rescue them all, rolling in extra lives that you'll spend on moving through more hazards? The former is definitely the easier path, though the latter is probably the best way to go in blind, as it'll give you more exposure to the game's levels and traps. And you'll eventually end up with one neighbor anyway; you REALLY have to know what's going on to save them all every level due to some mechanics.

This resource management also means the game's password system is shit. It only saves your progress, not your inventory, so starting midway through the game is a fast train to game over town, as you won't have all the tools you've built up over time. Fortunately, it's not a terribly long game if you go for a one neighbor playthrough; about an hour. The game does start to stretch on a bit too long at the end; you could comfortably chop off several of the later levels with no real hurt to the pacing.

Overall the game is a fun bit of diversion to spend a bit of time on as long as you don't get too invested in it. Sometimes the game just hates you and will screw you over, and there's not much you can do about it. It's definitely much better than it's quasi-sequel Ghoul Patrol.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Flake

Post by Flake »

January through October:
January
Shovel Knight: King of Cards (Switch)
Diablo III: Reaper of Souls (Switch)
Super Metroid (Switch)

February
Megaman X (Switch)
Nekketsu Highschool Dodgeball Club (Switch)
Super Dodgeball (Switch)

March

Garou: Mark of the Wolves (SNK Pro Stick)
Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch)

April

Batman The Telltale Series (Switch)
Street Fighter Alpha 2 (Switch)
SNK Gals' Fighter (Switch)

May

King of Fighters 97: Global Match (PS4)
Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch)

June
Megaman X3 (Switch)
Megaman X4 (Switch)
King of Fighters 98: Ultimate Match (PS4)
King of Fighters 99 (Switch)
Injustice 2 (PS4)

July

Donkey Kong Country (WiiU)
Cadence of Hyrule (Switch)
Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (Switch)

August

Shovel Knight Showdown (Switch)
Street Fighter Alpha 3 (PS4)

September

Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers (Switch)
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (WiiU)
Street Fighter Alpha 2 (Switch)
Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)

October

Super Mario 35 (Switch)
Muramasa: The Demon Blade (PSTV)
Pilotwings (Switch)
Punch-Out!! (WiiU)

November

Sisters Royale (Switch)

I recently got the new 8bitdo wireless arcade stick for the Nintendo Switch and decided to test it out on Sisters Royale, a shmup I bought on sale a while back but never got around to. The game is supposed to have quite the pedigree, being a kinda sorta sequel to the Castle of Shikigami series. Now, I don't think it's as good as that - I remember Castle of Shikigami III on the Wii being pretty darn intense and less formulaic than this game, but it's still quite fun.

The premise is pretty funny - There is a great evil that hangs over the land, a monster named Sayton that could rise to take over the world at any point. Fortunately, there is a prophecy of 5 sisters who, should they combine their magical power, could easily destroy the monster. 5 sisters are born, each with powerful magic! The people celebrate the prophecy coming true... except the five sisters fucking hate each other and have no interest in fighting the monster. In fact, they haven't even seen each other in many years now and everyone has given up hope. But now they are finally re-uniting! Not to fight the monster, oh no, to fight each other over who gets to marry a dude.

As long as you don't have a problem with tired anime tropes, the game is actually pretty funny. I played through with all 6 characters (there's a DLC character from Castle of Shikigami). The levels are short and there's not a lot to differentiate them except for a couple of environmental hazards and the music. There are a few omissions that I expected to see - the bullet hell game is strong but the boss fights don't have the different attack phases or power ups I'd expect to see. The scoring system also didn't have a lot of options - there's nothing like Trigger Heart Exelica or Ikaruga where you can game the system for higher scores. If you play well, you get multipliers. If you don't, you lose multipliers. Hover close to bullets and you get more points. That's about it.

So, it's an okay time but really, buy this game when it's on sale if you want to see some ridiculous Waifus say horrible things to each other in the name of love.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Markies' Games Beat List Of 2020!
*Denotes Replay For Completion*

1. Pikmin 2 (GCN)
2. Banjo-Tooie (N64)
3. Contra: Hard Corps (GEN)
4. Super Baseball Simulator 1,000 (SNES)
5. Chip 'N Dale Rescue Rangers 2 (NES)
6. Pinball Hall of Fame: The Gottlieb Collection (PS2)
***7. Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (PS2)***
***8. Cruis'N USA (N64)***
9. Arc The Lad Collection (PS1)
10. Halo 2 (XBOX)
11. Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings And The Lost Ocean (GCN)
12. DuckTales 2 (NES)
13. Atelier Iris 3: Grand Phantasm (PS2)
14. Rocket Knight Adventures (GEN)
***15. Skies of Arcadia (SDC)***
16. Dragon Quest V (SNES)
17. Marvel Vs. Capcom (PS1)
***18. Street Fighter II: Special Championship Edition (GEN)***
19. Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic II - The Sith Lords (XBOX)
20. Disney's Aladdin (SNES)
21. Flatout 2 (PS2)
22. Mr. Driller (SDC)
23. Blast Corps (N64)
24. The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction (GCN)
25. Xenosaga Episode II: Jenseits von Gut und Böse (PS2)
26. Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
27. Jet Set Radio Future (XBOX)
28. River City Ransom (NES)

***29. Wild Arms (PS1)***

Wild Arms is a fairly basic PS1 JRPG with a little bit of puzzles. The combat and story won't blow you away, but I absolutely love the setting. It has this Wild West feel to it that permeates everything, including the beautiful soundtrack. For a game made by a first time developer and released before FF7, I'm rather impressed with what they were able to accomplish. Being able to replay the game in over a decade, I was able to appreciate the simplicity and scope of the game.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

First 50:
1. Elite Dangerous - PC
2. Soldier of Fortune - PC
3. Star Wars: TIE Fighter: Defender of the Empire - PC
4. Star Wars: TIE Fighter: Enemies of the Empire - PC
5. Star Wars: X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter: Balance of Power - PC
6. Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance - PC
7. Phoenix Point - PC
8. Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter - PC
9. Descent II - PC
10. Inbento - Switch
11. Ori and the Will of the Wisps - XB1
12. Doom Eternal - PC
13. Serious Sam 2 - PC
14. Black Mesa - PC
15. Descent 3 - PC
16. Darksiders II - PC
17. Resident Evil 3 (2020) - PC
18. Overload - PC
19. Final Fantasy VII Remake - PS4
20. Trials of Mana (2020) - Switch
21. Persona 5 Royal - PS4
22. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered - PC
23. Sublevel Zero Redux - PC
24. Final Fantasy XII: Zodiac Age - PS4
25. Maneater - PC
26. XCOM: Chimera Squad - PC
27. Sakura Wars - PS4
28. Stela - Switch
29. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 - DC
30. Darksiders III - PC
31. Shadow Warrior (2013) - PC
32. Robotrek - SNES
33. Shadow Warrior 2 - PC
34. EVO: The Search for Eden - SNES
35. Blast Corps - N64
36. Command & Conquer: The Covert Operations - PC
37. Command & Conquer Red Alert: Counterstrike - PC
38. The Last of Us Part 2 - PS4
39. Exodemon - PC
40. Halo: Reach - PC
41. Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary - PC
42. Halo 2: Anniversary - PC
43. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel - PS3
44. Halo 3 - PC
45. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II - PS4
46. Command & Conquer Red Alert: Aftermath - PC
47. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 - Switch
48. Carrion - Switch
49. Ninja Gaiden - NES
50. Earthworm Jim - Genesis

51. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III - Switch
52. Star Control Origins: Earth Rising - PC
53. Gunvolt Chronicles: Luminous Avenger iX - Switch
54. Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith - PC
55. Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls - PS3
56. Silicon Zeroes - PC
57. Warcraft - PC
58. Serious Sam 3: BFE - PC
59. Wasteland 3 - PC
60. Iron Harvest - PC
61. Serious Sam 3: Jewel of the Nile - PC
62, Homeworld Remastered - PC
63. Homeworld 2 Remastered - PC
64. Offworld Trading Company - PC
65. F-Zero - SNES
66. F-Zero X - N64
67. Gauntlet (2014) - PC
68. Gauntlet Legends - Arcade
69. Halo 3: ODST - PC
70. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim - PS4
71. Star Wars Squadrons - PC
72. Serious Sam 4 - PC
73. The Bard's Tale - PC
74. The Bard's Tale II - PC
75. The Bard's Tale III - PC
76. The Bard's Tale IV - PC
77. Outbuddies - Switch
78. Ghostrunner - PC
79. Shining Force Gaiden: Final Conflict - GG
80. Zombies Ate My Neighbors - SNES
81. Spider-Man: Miles Morales - PS5

Miles Morales is a follow up to the Spider-Man game on the PS4 and set a little bit afterwards. You play as the new kid on the block, Miles Morales, as the younger, hipper Spider-Man with some extra powers because superhero power creep. In an earlier era this might have been released as an expansion pack, or billed as a stand-alone expansion. Because it doesn't really do anything new, it's just a new story being told in the same game. But that's ok; none of that stops it from being a fun experience.

One thing to note is that the game is shorter than the original; this comes from two spots. The first is that they've pared down the open world diversions to be a bit more focused and player-friendly. You have the option of triggering one of the random crimes at any time, and you only need to do one of each to be considered complete on them. There also is just in general fewer collectables compared to the first. Considering they were just open-world busywork that isn't a bad thing; it allows them to keep the ones that are there a bit more meaningful to the character. The second way the game is shorter is that the main plot is much tighter and more focused. There's no "and then the main villain breaks out the Sinister Six to keep you distracted" event. Miles is still new to the game, so keeping it to a single plotline that he struggles with is appropriate. There are familiar faces for fans of the property and it serves as a good baptism of fire for the young superhero.

The game remembers that Spider-Man is a lighter property. There's a couple missions that involve rescuing cats (one being a traversal mission, one being a beat up dudes mission), and one reward for finishing the game is a suit where you carry a cat in a backpack with a Spider-Man mask who will sometimes help out on finishers. Also, the requisite "training" challenges are presented as Spider-Man leaving holographic training programs for Miles so he can get up to speed. What makes them delightful is that Spider-Man provides all the voices for the holograms. The writers had a lot of fun with these.

Not much else to say about the game. If you played the original and wanted more this is a solid pickup. If you need there to be a major upgrade to things this won't do it for you. Basically, you already knew if you wanted this game or not.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Partridge Senpai's 2020 Beaten Games:
Previously: 2016 2017 2018 2019
* indicates a repeat

1-50
5. Splatterhouse (PS3) *
7. Tokyo Jungle (PS3)
8. Pictobits (DSiWare)
10. WarioWare Gold (3DS)
22. ActRaiser (SNES)
24. Mega Man X (SNES)
26. Ape Escape 2 (PS2) *
28. Ape Escape (PS1)
29. Ape Escape 3 (PS2) *
30. Maken X (DC)
31. Cubivore (GC)
32. Wario World (GC) *
37. Gato Roboto (PC)
38. The Messenger (PC)
40. Baku Bomberman (N64)
41. Bomberman Hero (N64)
43. Neutopia (TG16)
44. Neutopia II (TG16)
45. Bomberman '94 (PCE)
48. Shenmue 3 (PS4)
49. Wandersong (Switch)

60. Jumping Flash! (PS1)
72. Castlevania (MSX)
79. Sonic Adventure (DC)
80. Drakengard (PS2)
83. Mario's Picross (GB)
84. Sonic Heroes (GC)
85. Drakengard 2 (PS2)
86. NeverDead (PS3)
93. Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)

94. Mighty Switch Force (3DS)
95. Mighty Switch Force 2 (3DS)

There are a lot of games on my 3DS that I've owned for ages but never gotten around to playing. Whether it was something I was recommended that I just haven't gotten around to, something I got in a humble bundle, or something I got for free through My Nintendo Rewards, there's a lot of 'em, and these were two of them XP. In a somewhat unorthodox review format, I'm gonna review two games at once here! It's largely because they're both SO similar and on the same platform (not to mention fresh in my memory), that reviewing one and then the other would be repeating a lot of the same words. Not to mention, most of the points worth making about the games is in relation to one another, so I figured I might as well make this a two-for-one review~. It took me a few hours each to beat each of the games without really worrying about the extras in either.

The Mighty Switch Force games were developed by WayForward for the 3DS. They're both puzzle platformers that revolve around the titular group (presumably) as they go through levels as cops rounding up escaped prisoners in the first game, and as fire fighters (who seem to have employed the prisoners from the first game) saving civilians in the second game. You go through a level with a radar on your bottom screen saving all five people and then getting to your robot buddy to exit the stage. There are time trial goals (and in the second game, an optional hidden baby to save) in each stage you can also go for, but they're ultimately optional.

Each game has sixteen stages, and the main gimmick is the titular "switching" you can do with the A button. Pressing the A button toggles the state of the stage and makes certain platforms disappear and the other ones reappear. You can also jump and fire your gun to get through the game's platforms and enemies as well (in the first game it's just a gun, but in the second game it's a back-mounted fire hose). But you better be careful, as switching the level's state while you're standing in front of a disappeared block will pop you out of the level, sending you back to the last checkpoint you were at (as well as making you lose one of your three health hearts).

The level design between the games is pretty similar in general quality, but I'd say the second game has better polish overall in just about every way. A lot of that owes to being a firefighter instead of cop, as there are way more interesting puzzles/obstacles revolving around your firehose than the simple destructible blocks and enemies that the gun solves in the first game. While there ARE stationary fires you can put out, it's more than just that XD. The first game is mostly about platforming and precise timing with your state switches, but the second game cranks that up a bit by incorporating blocks you can fire water though to rechannel water (they have pipes inside them~). There are also blocks in each game that won't disappear if you're standing on them, and doing such will switch which level state they're tied to. With three sets of those as well as some with pipes inside them, the second game's levels can get to be quite the head scratchers at some points.

Given the time-trial nature of the game, both games can very sped through with great momentum if you're good enough, but that's far easier said than done XD. Another cool feature each game has is that the 16th level is not just far longer, but it also takes the ability to manually toggle the level's state from you. Instead, your helmet will flash three times before the state toggles automatically, and this makes for some really tense platforming (although it can get really annoying if you're having trouble getting the timing down). It would've been really nice if they'd given you more practice up to that point to get used to automatic toggling, and that's especially true since levels have no true checkpoints. They have checkpoints in a sense, but those are only for if you fall in a pit or get crushed by a block. If you lose all three of your hearts, you're starting that whole level over again, and that can get really annoying for levels with time trial goals of 4+ minutes XP. The game is however merciful on its final stages, each of which have pretty tough bosses at the end, and if you die at the boss, you just restart at the start of the boss.

The presentation of the games is a mixed bag, but not in a way unfamiliar to WayForward. Both games don't have a ton of music, but the music they do have is really pumping and heckin' rocks. It's easily one of my favorite parts of the game, especially the vocal remix of the 2nd game's main level theme that it uses for its credits song. The character designs, however, are much more WayForward in how incredibly horny they are. The only character coded male in either game is your cycloptic robot companion, and all the other characters are very skinny, very sexually clothed women (from the main character, to the prisoners you're finding to the civilians you're saving). If that's something you can just blaze past without caring about, more power to you, but I found it really obnoxious in the same way I did with how Shantae does it.

Mighty Switch Force
Verdict: Hesitantly Recommended.
Mighty Switch Force 2
Verdict: Recommended.
Both games are $6 on the 3DS eShop, and for what they are I think that's a fair price, but I think the 2nd game easily outshines the first with what it adds to the formula (even if it is a decent bit harder than the first). Neither are must-plays, but if you haven't tried them yet and the character design I've mentioned hasn't frightened you off, they're worth their price of entry. I'd hesitate to drop the $20 the HD pairing of the two goes for on Switch, but if these both sound like incredible games you MUST play on Switch, then I guess that's your choice to make XP