2020 Gaming Goals and Resolutions

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

It is that time of the year! We only have a few short hours left in 2019 and then it is time for 2020. So, let us start thinking about Gaming Goals or Resolutions in 2020.

They can be anything from more broad to more specific. Do you want to play more games? Buy less games? Yep, that could be a good resolution.

Or, maybe you want to beat some specific games? That works for a great gaming goal.

For me, I hope for 2020 to be about a return to form. With the move and adding so many games last year, I beat less games in 2019 than in any recent year. I know that has to do with me playing longer games and my real life getting busier, but I still need to continue to play and beat games. It's my favorite thing to do in life.

So, my main goal this year is to end 2020 with less than 40 Unfinished Games on my Backlog. I am sitting at 56 Unfinished Games, so I really think that is very doable. Like last year, I have specific goals for each console and so I will post them here and keep track of them throughout the year.

Main Goal = Get Unfinished Games Under 40
NES - DuckTales 2
GEN - Rocket Knight Adventures
SNS - Dragon Quest V
N64 - Banjo-Tooie
PS1 - Marvel Vs. Capcom
SDC - Sega GT
PS2 - Atelier Iris 3
GCN - Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean
XBX - Halo 2

I have decided not to do challenge runs anymore considered I failed at the Contra one last year. I just have too many games that I have not played to be spending playing games I have already beaten before.

These are the games on all of the systems that I most want to play. The ones I am most excited to play, so I am more than ready to give these games their shot. I think I have a good variety that will last me through the year.

But, let me know your Goals and Resolutions for 2020. Make 2020 your best gaming year ever! Make Progress!

More importantly, just enjoy playing games!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: 2020 Gaming Goals and Resolutions

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Pretty simple stuff.

- I want (need to, really) buy fewer games. Don't have the funds, don't have the space. I need to tone down impulse buying and just focus on very specific titles I know I'll enjoy. I don't really want or need any new hardware. You are an inspiration here, Markies!
- I dunno if anyone noticed, but I started to delve deep into Japanese adventure games and VNs this year. I'd like to finish at least one a month next year, whether it be an old Famicom/FDS oddity or something more recent available on Steam.
- Lastly, I'd like to diversify and play some "newer" stuff..... meaning PSX, Saturn, GBA, and the like. I was stuck so long in Famicom and Atari land last year. I have some unplayed JRPGs calling me.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

1. Don't waste time on games that suck, if I am not enjoying a game it is ok to just stop playing it and not suffering hoping for it to get better.

2. Stop buying games I will never play, for me its ok to have a huge backlog, but I need to stop buying games from genres that I am not really into anymore (mainly RPG stuff)

3. Collect xbox 360 games, my sister got me a gamestop gift card for xmas. I have every new release I want and just OD'd on the steam sale so I didn't know what to do with it, I then realized how cheap these games are. Xbox 360 is one of the best consoles of all time IMO but when it was new I was broke and just rented everything, now that I have money I think it may be fun to collect for, what is probably, my 2nd favorite console of all time(right under the nes)
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:- I want (need to, really) buy fewer games. Don't have the funds, don't have the space. I need to tone down impulse buying and just focus on very specific titles I know I'll enjoy. I don't really want or need any new hardware. You are an inspiration here, Markies!

Funds and Space are major deterrents in the game buying experience. They always seem to win out.

But, I am glad that I could inspire you! :D If you could spend some time to enjoy some games that you already own, then I feel like I have done my part.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Gaming goals:

Make a significant dent in my RPG and strategy backlogs
Combined, RPGs and Strategy titles make up over a quarter of my gaming backlog. This year I'd like to try and reduce that significantly, which means dedicating myself to some of the longest games in my collection. Ideally, I want to beat 20 - twice as many as this year, but 24 (2 per month) would be amazing.

Participate in Together Retro every month I can
Last year I didn't participate much in Together Retro, which makes me sad. So this year I am aiming to be much more involved and try to participate every month.

Focus purchases on gen 5 consoles and Nintendo portables
I own a lot of consoles, but as of recently I've noticed myself leaning towards some preferences for my retro collecting - and rather than combat that, I'd rather lean into it. So I'm going to try and double down - and focus my purchases on Game Boy, GBA and DS, plus expand my N64 and Saturn collections and start expanding out my PS1 library.

Beat more games than I buy
I managed this last year (just) but this year will be harder thanks to my RPG goal - I'll be beating games more slowly, so I need to be buying more slowly too.

Beat one game for every console I haven’t beaten a game on in the last 2 years:
• PS2 – Freak Out
• Vita – Dragons Crown
• PSP – Yggdra Union
• GG – The GG Shinobi II
• 3DO – Star Control 2
• PCE – The Gate of Thunder
• NGPC – Cardfighters Clash
• PC – Discworld Noir

I might want to double down on collecting for my favourite systems, but I don't want my other consoles going neglected - these systems havent had a game beaten for 2 years now, so this goal is to change that in 2020. The games chosen represent some of the games I've owned but not beaten for the longest time on each system
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Last year, I finally purchased the remaining Genesis games I used to own when I was a kid but sold around 1996. This year, I'd like to finish purchasing some SNES, Genesis, PS1, and Dreamcast games I have childhood memories with that I never owned back in the day. Mostly games I played at my cousin's or friend's house throughout the 90's.

Also, I'd like to replay some games I have not finished in years, and check out some titles I never have before.

SNES:
Super Metroid (Had not played through it again since it was released. Started a play through in 2019, but didn't finish it yet.)
Super Mario RPG (Finished this game back in '96/'97 when it came out, but I haven't played it since then.)

Genesis:
Shining Force 1 (Always liked the sequel better, but I want to give this one another go.)
Shining Force 2 (My favorite RPG, but haven't replayed it in fifteen years. Started a play through last year, but haven't finished it yet.)
Beyond Oasis (Currently playing through it, and my main game during free time.)

Dreamcast:
Shenmue II (Never finished this game when it was released. Started a play through recently, currently on Disc 3, and hopefully can finish it soon!)

Playstation 1:
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (Never owned this game back in the day. Tried a demo on the 360 last year, and I'd like to purchase and play the PS1 version.)
lordb0rb4
32-bit

Post by lordb0rb4 »

Beat 100 games released in 2010, the list is almost complete and i'm positive i can do it! :lol:
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Making a top 100 favourite games list where all games have at least an 8/10 would be awesome, but it means playing A LOT.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

Hmm, hopefully I remember to check up with my goals this year.

1. Buy another Nintendo console- I don't know what yet, but this needs to be done. I've been wanting some Nintendo goodness for a while now, but I haven't done it yet.

2. Play more retro stuff- I've been really lacking here for a while. I know I can do it, I just haven't. Especially with my emulation stuff all set up, I need to just sit down and do it. Focus on one title at a time and work through it until I'm done.

3. Drop games I don't like quicker- I've generally been good about this, but I haven't been nearly as good about it lately.

4. Give some JRPGs a try- something I've never really done and need to start doing. I'd actually love some suggestions of where to start, as I have no real ideas other than I don't want to mess with Final Fantasy.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Forlorn Drifter wrote:1. Buy another Nintendo console

2. Play more retro stuff

4. Give some JRPGs a try

I would like to introduce you to something called the Super Nintendo Entertainment System.