The "True/Spiritual successor to the Sega Saturn is......

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: The "True/Spiritual successor to the Sega Saturn is.....

Post by Jagosaurus »

I think this thread highlights the Saturn didn't have a great identity in the market. No true Sonic, Streets of Rage, Phantasy Star, or Golden Axe makes it feel almost disconnected from Sega. No flagship Sonic really blows my mind. How does that even happen...?

Worth noting the PS2 got the SS Nights port in Japan.

The Sega Chihiro (Naomi/DC successor) is a 128mb original Xbox. Same base hardware. The original XB controller was modeled after DC pad. There were talks about making the XB backwards compatible with DC but they settled on the Sega ports & exclusives due to XB Live complications. I feel like there isn't much question to the heavy link there as a spiritual DC successor.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Oh my god, it's you! You're the guy who posted this topic over at the Saturn Junkyard.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
marurun

Post by marurun »

I would say that by popular vote and the power of applying information and concepts to new scenarios, Dreamcast is still the winner of this question. Naysayers must now shove off!
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Post by Dikdikvandik »

marurun wrote:I would say that by popular vote and the power of applying information and concepts to new scenarios, Dreamcast is still the winner of this question. Naysayers must now shove off!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8QRExBfQhs

I was going to leave this thread to die BUT I have another counter argument to "Not not dreamcast."

Saturn was very much focused on the Japanese market where as the Dreamcast catered to the west.
The Dreamcast does have it's share of decent import only releases But the Saturn is pretty much ALL Import releases with only Quake and Duke Nukem being stand out western released games (and good ports of wipeout)

Certainly the 360 has that in common with Both. BUT when you factor in that it has Radient Silvergun, Nights, and now delisted Sega Rally and After burner sequels. The case for the 360 being the true successor to the Saturn cam be made...

Or shall I take this to a 3rd forum as a tie breaker as I know a Sega expert who can shed light.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I mean, you’re basically asking for opinions, so I don’t know what you’re trying to accomplish other than desperately looking for people to agree with you.

My view is still that the Saturn was a unique point in time and was a dead-end with no successor.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Post by Dikdikvandik »

marurun wrote:
My view is still that the Saturn was a unique point in time and was a dead-end with no successor.

Fair Enough
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Dikdikvandik wrote:But the Saturn is pretty much ALL Import releases with only Quake and Duke Nukem being stand out western released games (and good ports of wipeout)

You've gone beyond. Not only did plenty of the big Saturn games get western releases but you forgot the best Saturn FPS which is Exhumed/Powerslave. Dude, Powerslave!

And the Saturn ports of Wipeout are no esta bien, es en hecho. I question your Saturn spirit judging credentials based on this. :| :?:
Ack

Post by Ack »

We must all be forgetting Three Dirty Dwarves...

And on the FPS front, the Saturn port of Hexen had the best audio of them all. Them some sweet tunes.
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Post by Dikdikvandik »

Ack wrote:We must all be forgetting Three Dirty Dwarves...

And on the FPS front, the Saturn port of Hexen had the best audio of them all. Them some sweet tunes.

TDD, A game that gets more and more expensive each passing year.

Forgot about Hexen. There's a lot I forgot. There's a uniqueness to the mighty Saturn.

Sload Soap wrote:
Dikdikvandik wrote:But the Saturn is pretty much ALL Import releases with only Quake and Duke Nukem being stand out western released games (and good ports of wipeout)

You've gone beyond. Not only did plenty of the big Saturn games get western releases but you forgot the best Saturn FPS which is Exhumed/Powerslave. Dude, Powerslave!

And the Saturn ports of Wipeout are no esta bien, es en hecho. I question your Saturn spirit judging credentials based on this. :| :?:

Well you tell me

I've had my Dreamcast longer than I've had my Saturn and yet...

I think this might show where I'm coming from I've had my Dreamcast longer than my Saturn, yet I have way WAY more Saturn games.
Last edited by Dikdikvandik on Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Alright, I'll try to keep my say on this concise (probably fail).
I got into Saturn around the same time I got into Dreamcast. And it was for the same initial reasons, mostly fighting games (and some shooters).
To that end, I never even questioned that it was a true successor.

Heck, I even liked the Dreamcast controller for fighters (despite the 4-button layout), it had THE smoothest rolling d-pad the world will ever know and taught me how to perfect the dragon-punch motion and timing (along with Capcom vs SNK).

The Capcom and SNK ports in general were a big part of both systems for me, at least to start.

Also, I think it was the 1st system with adapters allowing Saturn controllers.

As for shooters, Gunbird 2 (Dreamcast) was my 1st bullet-hell, and in turn, got me to notice what else was available on Saturn.

Also, House of the dead sequel.

I could go on, but there are more than enough ties to make DC a worthy Saturn child). I will concede that my initial focus for both systems was pretty limited though.

One other thing, PS2 is the successor to damn near everything at that point, so I can't even consider that fair.
...just another lost soul...