Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

The "True/Spiritual successor to the Sega Saturn is......

by Dikdikvandik Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:41 pm

I asked this in a Facebook group, reading comprehension is not their strong suit and too many people said Dreamcast.

I don't hate the Dreamcast, after an inactive period as a Teenager the Dreamcast marked my return to gaming. I still have the nearly 20 year old console looking as mint as it did the day I bought it. However I don't feel it's the successor to the Saturn. Follow up, next in the lineage yes factual statement but it's Successor? I don't think it is. It's Library and general vibe is very different from the Saturn. A lot of Saturn Devs weren't on board for the Dreamcast and...that controller I'm pretty sure it's a violation of the Geneva convention.

So what is the True/Spiritual successor to the Saturn?

Nominees are:

Playstation 2- it actually had a Saturn controller. The Sega Ages 2500 collection gave it a Good log of Sega games plus everything else Sega dumped on it. Huge amount of Fighting games and Shmups. A lot of the same kinds of Qwirky games the Saturn was known for. More than a few people felt like it was a Sega Console back in the day.

Xbox 360- Sega put basically everything that wasn't Yakuza on the 360. It also fulfills the Shmup and Fighting prerequisite. It was RPG Heaven too.
A lot of Sega fans had love for the 360 and apparently a large number of hardcore gamers in Japan consider the it True Successor to the Saturn.

Nintendo Switch- and the controversial one. It's a Nintendo System, but Shmups and Fighting games are well represented prerequisite fulfilled.. Sega is giving it a ton of love the Sega Ages collection is exclusive. Stuff like Remi lore and Code of princess EX would be at home on Saturn. Lastly, Retro bit's Saturn Pad is compatible.

My vote is with Xbox 360, then PS2 then Switch.

What say you?
Last edited by Dikdikvandik on Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Re: The "True/Spiritual successor to the Sega Saturn is.....

by sevin0seven Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:55 pm

I've always thought of my Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox One as my "SEGA" system after the Dreamcast failed or stop. Probably because at the beginning of Original Xbox life; there was a lot more Sega exclusive game published. So it felt more right playing them on a Xbox console... I guess. :mrgreen:
Visit my store: sevin0seven Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

by Dikdikvandik Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:59 pm

The Original Xbox was the Dreamcast Successor. The 360 the Saturn Successor

I don't get the same Sega Vibes from the Xbox One but I play my One X more than PS4 these days.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:37 pm

Those saying Dreamcast aren't wrong though. Same focus on arcade style experiences despite the market shift away from that type of game, same willingness by Sega to experiment with new IPs, lack of support from big western and Japanese publishers, same Sega being Sega for better or worse. I mean, you say the controller is different but the Dreamcast controller is basically a Saturn 3D pad with a VMU slapped inside and some buttons shifted about.

I don't really think your choices embody to spirit of the Saturn as much as they were/are all the market leaders and so have much more scope to offer a broad selection of games. The PS2 and 360 do everything because they had the audience to do so and the Switch is finding that too. So I think my answer is Dreamcast or nothing.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:58 pm

As far as 2D games with awesome graphics & mediocre 3D that really tries go, I'd have to vote Nintendo DS.
Ever see a DS emulator running on a rotated CRT?
edit: Contra4
Last edited by Anapan on Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

by Dikdikvandik Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:12 pm

Sload Soap wrote:Those saying Dreamcast aren't wrong though. Same focus on arcade style experiences despite the market shift away from that type of game, same willingness by Sega to experiment with new IPs, lack of support from big western and Japanese publishers, same Sega being Sega for better or worse. I mean, you say the controller is different but the Dreamcast controller is basically a Saturn 3D pad with a VMU slapped inside and some buttons shifted about.

I don't really think your choices embody to spirit of the Saturn as much as they were/are all the market leaders and so have much more scope to offer a broad selection of games. The PS2 and 360 do everything because they had the audience to do so and the Switch is finding that too. So I think my answer is Dreamcast or nothing.

I don't agree but at least you did what the the Facebook people didn't do and explain your reasoning.

I find the Dreamcast just has it's own identity it's more up beat and Jolly than the Saturn. It doesn't really have the Variety the Saturn had either. Saturn had something for everyone where as Dreamcast was Arcade and PC ports with a handful of (Awesome) exclusives.

No game is more "Dreamcast" than Jet Set Radio. Insanely upbeat and colorful with the hip timeless Soundtrack.

When I think Saturn I think stuff like Panzer Dragoon and Guardian Heroes, 2d fighters and weird ass genreless games.

Anapan wrote:As far as 2D games with awesome graphics & mediocre 3D that really tries go, I'd have to vote Nintendo DS.
Ever see a DS emulator running on a rotated CRT?

I have not but a case for the DS line as a whole could be made. It's the same kinds of games hitting the Switch now and Saturn back in the day.
marurun

by marurun Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:19 pm

Had the Dreamcast survived longer in the market, I think it would have rounded out the library more and may have resembled the Saturn more.

The real problem is that you’re asking too broad a question. What focus is interesting to you? In what respect should one consider the Saturn’s successor?

I don’t think the Saturn really has a successor, at least not fully. It was designed to be a 2D powerhouse with a meager nod to 3D, leaving better 3D to the arcades, but then Sony’s 3D focus for PlayStation forced Sega to make a hasty hardware adjustment. So the Saturn is over-complicated hardware that happens to be very powerful and hard to program for. By that logic either the PS2 or PS3 would be the successor. But the PS2 and PS3 were deliberate designs with a full rationale behind them, if a mistaken one. The Saturn as over-complicated as a result of last minute changes, so it wasn’t orchestrated that way right from the get-go. As for the nature of the library, I agree that the Dreamcast was very much the closest successor. Sega really took a lot of the same influences and software decisions into the Dreamcast. The only reason the library seems to lack some of the Saturn’s varies is that the Saturn persisted in Japan much longer, where the Dreamcast was killed quickly and not allowed to drag out. And both Saturn and Dreamcast were designed as arcade/home hybrids. The Dreamcast was to Naomi what the Saturn was to the ST-V Titan.

So really, I agree that the Dreamcast is the closest thing to a successor there ever was. But even then, I think the Saturn is quite a unique beast, and an evolutionary dead-end if you will.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

by Dikdikvandik Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:23 am

marurun wrote:Had the Dreamcast survived longer in the market, I think it would have rounded out the library more and may have resembled the Saturn more.

The real problem is that you’re asking too broad a question. What focus is interesting to you? In what respect should one consider the Saturn’s successor?

I don’t think the Saturn really has a successor, at least not fully. It was designed to be a 2D powerhouse with a meager nod to 3D, leaving better 3D to the arcades, but then Sony’s 3D focus for PlayStation forced Sega to make a hasty hardware adjustment. So the Saturn is over-complicated hardware that happens to be very powerful and hard to program for. By that logic either the PS2 or PS3 would be the successor. But the PS2 and PS3 were deliberate designs with a full rationale behind them, if a mistaken one. The Saturn as over-complicated as a result of last minute changes, so it wasn’t orchestrated that way right from the get-go. As for the nature of the library, I agree that the Dreamcast was very much the closest successor. Sega really took a lot of the same influences and software decisions into the Dreamcast. The only reason the library seems to lack some of the Saturn’s varies is that the Saturn persisted in Japan much longer, where the Dreamcast was killed quickly and not allowed to drag out. And both Saturn and Dreamcast were designed as arcade/home hybrids. The Dreamcast was to Naomi what the Saturn was to the ST-V Titan.

So really, I agree that the Dreamcast is the closest thing to a successor there ever was. But even then, I think the Saturn is quite a unique beast, and an evolutionary dead-end if you will.

Ok so how do we narrow down what I mean?

How many games on PS2, 360 and Switch would be right at home on the Saturn?

The PS2 had a crapton of Sega games and ports. The PS2 was all full of shmups if the Saturn is known for anything is that's genre.
2d Fighters were plentiful on the PS2 and that's another thing the Saturn was known for. Then you have the weird and unique games that just don't make sense
Simple 2000 titles, Stuff like Katamari and Stretch panic. There was no shortage of very VERY Japanese Racing games. There are alot of PS2 games that just seem like they'd be right at home on the Saturn.

360 is the same thing and actually has sequels to a lot of older Sega IPs.

Switch isn't AS cut and dry it doesn't have any Saturn ports yet, it doesn't have a Virtua Fighter but it does have quite a few interesting games I could see on a Sega Console, most of them published by Nicalis.

Does that narrow down the definition of "Saturn successor" more?
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:55 am

I agree with the folks arguing “Dreamcast or nothing” - I have love for the Saturn but, like the Dreamcast, it was an also-run console with a much smaller (or “focused”) selection of games compared to its competition. Like the Saturn it has/had a lot of great exclusive shmups and arcade ports (which, on both Saturn and Dreamcast I always play with an arcade stick anyway), and each console was a distant competitor to Sony, MS, and Nintendo. I can’t think of any system that has more games that would “feel at home” on the Saturn - either as ports or as games with the same “spiritual DNA” than the Dreamcast.

I think, today, I play a lot of Saturn-associated games on the PS3 and 360. Both have a good selection of Saturn arcade-style games (e.g. fighters like Virtua Fighter or Fighting Vipers, racers like Daytona USA or Wipeout, or shmups like Strikers 1945 or Radiant Silvergun) and Saturn originals (e.g. Nights and Guardian Heroes).

But, yeah, Dreamcast is the right answer.
marurun

by marurun Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:59 am

The PS2 and 360 have lots of Sega titles on them because Sega, now a software developer, has to follow the money, and the money wants a decent user base. I do t actually think the overall contours of either library are particularly Saturn-like. Is the PS2 has some quirky titles it is merely because the library is so large and the system so successful.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Return to General Gaming