Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
SuperDerpBro
64-bit

Re: Any of you starting to see games as "work" as you get ol

by SuperDerpBro Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:08 pm

Couldn't help myself and went back to 'work' on Tomb Raider.. %100 now. Still not going to go for a platinum... far too many things i do not want to do. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Edit: I love that retro games have achievements now!

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:45 pm

SuperDerpBro wrote:Edit: I love that retro games have achievements now!

How is that a thing?
SuperDerpBro
64-bit

by SuperDerpBro Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:30 pm

https://retroachievements.org/

Doesn't work with carts on OG hardware, obviously. Their Emulators suck pretty flippin hard, but it works fantastic with most Retroarch cores :)
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:41 pm

SuperDerpBro wrote:https://retroachievements.org/

Totally appropriate I see this in October, as it's absolutely horrifying.
Tempest
16-bit

by Tempest Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:25 pm

I view playing a lot of older JRPGs as work because so much of the leveling up in most of them feel like grinding: take a few steps, undertake the same or similarly easy battle as the last one, then repeat ad nauseum. Further, even modern games can feel like this with all the fetch quests and the like. Games are meant to be fun, which is why I tend to gravitate towards more arcadey games because the fun is more immediate. That said, story driven games like RPGs can be more rewarding in the long run. It's just that grinding that really puts me off them. I'm glad the FFVII remake will have real time battles: even if they can become samey over time, at least they have much more player agency than turns-based battles.
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

by Dikdikvandik Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:32 am

Considering I'm going to create a youtube channel about Import retro gaming it literally is work.
SuperDerpBro
64-bit

by SuperDerpBro Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:26 am

Dikdikvandik wrote:Considering I'm going to create a youtube channel about Import retro gaming it literally is work.

heh :mrgreen:
pook99
64-bit

by pook99 Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:29 pm

Tempest wrote:I view playing a lot of older JRPGs as work because so much of the leveling up in most of them feel like grinding: take a few steps, undertake the same or similarly easy battle as the last one, then repeat ad nauseum. Further, even modern games can feel like this with all the fetch quests and the like. Games are meant to be fun, which is why I tend to gravitate towards more arcadey games because the fun is more immediate. That said, story driven games like RPGs can be more rewarding in the long run. It's just that grinding that really puts me off them. I'm glad the FFVII remake will have real time battles: even if they can become samey over time, at least they have much more player agency than turns-based battles.

This is why I rarely play retro RPG's, I loved them when I was younger but I simply cannot imagine playing any game that requires me to grind in one spot for any length of time anymore. As a kid it didn't bother me but it started to annoy me in my teens. I don't mind a game where you may have to grind one time, like for example, when I played FF7, I had to grind for a small bit before sephiroth, but games where you have to constantly grind to progress are just not fun for me at all anymore.

I also found in my old age I have gravitated more towards SRPG's than standard JRPG's
Overload
128-bit

by Overload Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:11 pm

can't really stand anything that requires grinding anymore. most games are starting to look too similar for them to seem worth the time. if the mechanics aren't novel, then the story had better be good. most of my time spent gaming is on competitive games with a good amount of mechanical depth, that I can play for 30-60 mins here and there. the only games I generally buy at full price are the core flagship first-party Nintendo titles. most everything else is from humble bundles, from which I'm accumulating games more quickly than I'll ever have time to play. being self-employed means any time spent playing games could be better spent on the ever-present backlog of tasks that need doing.
Return to General Gaming